Adelaide looking to bid again

Sadly, Adelaide faces huge obstacles in getting the CG. They've wanted them for a long time, but their chances don't look too good for the near future.

Firstly, there's the domestic competition, Perth and Canberra, both having more world status than Adelaide. Australia putting forward it's capital city, or no.4 city (perth) would stand better chance of bringing games back to the country.

Secondly, even if Adelaide is the Australian candidate in 2022 etc, the international competition will be too strong-

-Wellington/ Auckland/ Christchurch

(NZ not having hosted since 1990)

- Glasgow (Scotland not hosted since 1986, also Manchester less

recent than melbourne 2006)

- Cardiff (Wales not hosted since 1958)

- Cape Town/ Johannesburg/ Durban

(S.Africa never hosted, even if Abuja gets 2014, it's difficult to justify a 5th Australian Cg's when S.Africa has never hosted, also these 3 cities have more world status than Adelaide. Even Melbourne wouldn't won 2006, if faced up against a bid from Cape Town)

- Halifax, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Ottawa- Canada not hosted since 1994, also Hamilton birth place of CG's in 1930, and rejected for 2010.

- Singapore- world financial centre, major world status

Firstly, Wales has said that it does not want to ever bid for the Commonwealths. Narrow views yes, though as for now, lets count them out.

In the period New Zealand will be have hosted the Rugby World Cup and would be looking for the Cricket World Cup, dampening their chances slightly.

South Africa likewise. After FIFA2010, another possible Cricket World Cup and maybe preparations for the Olympics, their chances (or funding!) may be down a little.

Canada, would be a strong candidate, Singapore I doubt would be interested. Jamaica or a Caribbean bid maybe on the cards by then though.

Though on the topic of Australia. Even if Australia makes a bid, I frankly see Canberra as an awful host, to under prepared and just to bland. Perth has already hosted though will be looking to boost its reputation. The Gold Coast may even put in a bid, though that too is unlikely.

Adelaide is pretty much 100% ready for the Games in terms of venues (except for media facilities and village). All it would need is some temporary seats at West Lake (Rowing), A main Aquatic pool and a Main Stadium (maybe 30,000seat Santos as to not interfere with the Adelaide Oval or the AFL at AMII). Hindmarsh for Rugby, Superdrome for cycling, Powerhouse, Convention Centre and Entertainment Centre for Indoor Sports and maybe a converted memorial drive for Lawn Bowls!

IMO Adelaide is by far and away the best next Australian host.

I think the main reason Melbourne chose to bid for 2006 I because it was possibly its last chance to. With the Commonwealth Games now swaying to more compact and smaller cities, maybe the city thought it would grow to large and undesirable for the Games in the future. Though a good warm up for a FIFA bid or another Olympics.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even 2022 would be pushing it! I reckon we're looking at the 2030s before Oz can seriously expect to host again!

I doubt Sydney would be interested _ you host an OLympics and a CWGs is a step down. Anyway, we did it back in 1938. As Alexjc said, Adelaide just seems to "smack" CWGs _ the size, it's mprettiness,

Exactly, just like the IOC would gladly accept a bid from Manchester if it wanted to bid for 2016. Rogge would even go as far as saying that it had as much chance as the others and could organise an e

In the period New Zealand will be have hosted the Rugby World Cup and would be looking for the Cricket World Cup, dampening their chances slightly.

South Africa likewise. After FIFA2010, another possible Cricket World Cup and maybe preparations for the Olympics, their chances (or funding!) may be down a little.

That's looking at it from a very positive perspective.

The danger is that South Africa can't be ruled out that easily, if they bid for the olympics in 2016/20 are they don't win, then they could once again be interested in the CG's.

In terms of South Africa being intersted in other events, don't forget the Rugby world cup in 2015, they might be in with a chance for that, if Japan (no longer interested after the 2011 saga) and England (concentrating on a 2018 WC bid) are not interested.

The second danger is that New Zealand, rather than being distracted from bidding for the CG's again/ concentrating on other tournaments/ not wanting to splash out too much cash, might actually feel that post- 2011 rugby world cup, their chances of winning a CG  bid are much better, due to the improvement in infrastructure, and stadiums that the RWC has brought to the country.

The danger is that South Africa can't be ruled out that easily, if they bid for the olympics in 2016/20 are they don't win, then they could once again be interested in the CG's.

In terms of South Africa being intersted in other events, don't forget the Rugby world cup in 2015, they might be in with a chance for that, if Japan (no longer interested after the 2011 saga) and England (concentrating on a 2018 WC bid) are not interested.

The second danger is that New Zealand, rather than being distracted from bidding for the CG's again/ concentrating on other tournaments/ not wanting to splash out too much cash, might actually feel that post- 2011 rugby world cup, their chances of winning a CG  bid are much better, due to the improvement in infrastructure, and stadiums that the RWC has brought to the country.

A rugby world cup wouldn’t bring much use (in terms of sports infrastructure) to a Commonwealth bid. Though it may help in terms of having suitable athletics stadiums and a world class venue for rugby 7’s.

Your terms are also realistic, though I believe (mainly for New Zealand) that if a CWC and RWC occurred, the country may just not see the need for the Commonwealth Games. Although, given NZ’s still STRONG ties to the CW, nobody could rule them out of being a front runner.  

It really all depends on the bid. Although NZ, Canada ect. may be considered better choices, if there bids flop, then the story line could change dramatically.

• Like 1

A rugby world cup wouldn’t bring much use (in terms of sports infrastructure) to a Commonwealth bid. Though it may help in terms of having suitable athletics stadiums and a world class venue for rugby 7’s.

Your terms are also realistic, though I believe (mainly for New Zealand) that if a CWC and RWC occurred, the country may just not see the need for the Commonwealth Games. Although, given NZ’s still STRONG ties to the CW, nobody could rule them out of being a front runner.  

It really all depends on the bid. Although NZ, Canada ect. may be considered better choices, if there bids flop, then the story line could change dramatically.

new zealand it looks like will not bid on the CWG's ever again either. Trevor Mallard the minsiter of sport had a report commissioned in 2004 on the viability of holding a CWG's by christchurch 1974 chair Sir Ron Scott. The conclusion is that the games are far too expesive for New Zealand. operating costs they estimate are 555 million NZ dollars and that the games would be in the order of 1.5 billion Nz dollars to host. The study was to see if biding on 2014 would be possible for new zealand.

The games will probably not be around by 2018 let alone 2022 especially if Abuja is not awarded for 2014. The franchise fees are burning host cities like manchester who could not sell merch rights to any major retailers in great britian in 2002 and the committee had to set up 4 committee owned stores in the greater manchester area. The trademark rights are 40 million us dollar fee to the federation for a product of no value. Kerry Packers is quoted in 2003 to have said that his channel nine network would lose 50 million au dollars on being the host broadcaster. the rights and production costs where 70 million au dollars in 2003 value.  

the commonwealth games are costing what a montreal olympics did but without a worldwide audinece and no major network tv deal in the most important territories of western europe or the united states. At that price and the highway robbery for value the federation really has to think about how they are running out of places to fork over 2 billion for very little in actual commerical value. Paying 80 million us between tv rights and merch rights with the upper limited of possible return of being 10 million does tend to get around the world IE Calgary bailing on the dometic bid for canada in 2014.

jim jones

• 3 years later...

This thread hasn't seen a post in four years, but I decided to bring this matter forward. Something just came up on my mind and I think a redeveloped Adelaide Oval should be the main stadium for an Auckland Commonwealth Games. Auckland needs a 40-60K stadium if it wants to host a Commonwealth Games. Auckland also has a few other facilities, such as the Entertainment Centre, the Distinctive Homes Dome, and the Memorial Drive Tennis Centre. But I was thinking about letting Perth host the next Australian Commonwealth Games before Auckland does.

This thread hasn't seen a post in four years, but I decided to bring this matter forward. Something just came up on my mind and I think a redeveloped Adelaide Oval should be the main stadium for an Auckland Commonwealth Games. Auckland needs a 40-60K stadium if it wants to host a Commonwealth Games. Auckland also has a few other facilities, such as the Entertainment Centre, the Distinctive Homes Dome, and the Memorial Drive Tennis Centre. But I was thinking about letting Perth host the next Australian Commonwealth Games before Auckland does.

Do you mean Adelaide or Auckland? Two different cities in two different countries.

• 4 weeks later...

Before anyone get to excited about the Adelaide Oval redevelopment it is still in the planning stages and if it does go ahead will not be completer until 2014. Things that may stop the redevelopment the SACA and SANFL need to agree and the history between the 2 is not the best. Also South Australia is having a state election on 20th March and the current governing party Labour wasn’t the redevelopment and the Liberals want a new city stadium.

• 2 years later...

Adelaide Oval would need another upgrade if SA won right to host 2030 Commonwealth Games

254321-adelaide-oval.jpg

An artist's impression of the Adelaide Oval upgrade.

ADELAIDE Oval would have to be upgraded again to potentially include temporary seating on the northern mound and more media and changeroom facilities if South Australia was to host the Commonwealth Games in 2030, the state's infrastructure chief says.

However, any future government would almost definitely retain the oval's heritage scoreboard and surrounding Morton Bay Figs, Planning, Transport and Infrastructure Department chief executive Rod Hook said.

Mr Hook has briefed Premier Jay Weatherill on the state's capacity to host sporting events if the Government decides to bid for the 2030 Games.

In June the Sunday Mail revealed prominent businessman Robert Gerard was spearheading a bid to bring the Games to Adelaide. Mr Weatherill has backed the push.

In the briefing, Mr Hook said by 2030 "all of South Australia's current sport venues will be outdated and in need of upgrade", potentially including the redeveloped $535 million Adelaide Oval.

"If you had a Commonwealth Games in Adelaide, Adelaide Oval would be a venue for your opening and closing ceremony and probably your athletics," Mr Hook told adelaidenow.

"I can't imagine any future government would do anything to the oval which would affect the features that are valued and that's the fig trees and the heritage scoreboard.

"With something like 3000 media in town you'd have to make sure you could accommodate them.

"You could put in some temporary seating above the northern mound."

"You'd also have to look at how you transport athletes from wherever the village is and how you transport the public."

Hosting the Games would also have long-lasting spin-off effects for the city.

"The infrastructure you get out of it, if you manage it carefully can be beneficial ... but if you manage it poorly you may struggle to recover financially," Mr Hook said.

Opposition sport and recreation spokesman Dan van Holst Pellekaan, who obtained the briefing under Freedom of Information laws, questioned why a $535 million upgrade would leave Adelaide oval "out of date in 16 years time".

Adelaide's bid to host the 1998 Commonwealth Games cost about $4.3 million but Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, was chosen as the host city.

Any city hosting the Commonwealth Games must choose 17 sports from a list of 10 `core' and 10 optional events, including a maximum four team sports. The Games must also feature sports for athletes with a disability.

Herald Sun

I think so, but I guess as I mentioned in another thread, we can't be hostile to any potential bidders, as they may be the only ones interested in the end.

Surely though there is a saturation point where Australia would get Commonwealth Games fatigue?

Adelaide planning for Games bid

AAP

September 24, 2012 3:13PM

THE South Australian government is considering a bid for Adelaide to host the Commonwealth Games, possibly in 2030.

Premier Jay Weatherill says planning is underway and a final decision on whether or not to bid is still some time off.

"But we think this would be a fantastic initiative to showcase South Australia," Mr Weatherill told reporters on Monday.

"This would allow us to celebrate everything we love about our state. We're a great sporting state."

South Australia last bid to host the Commonwealth Games in Adelaide in 1998 but was beaten out by Kuala Lumpur.

As part of that bid the state government invested in key sporting infrastructure, including Adelaide's first indoor cycling velodrome.

The government has helped to fund the construction of a new international-standard swimming centre and is redeveloping Adelaide Oval, the likely main stadium for a future Games.

But even those facilities will need upgrading to host a Commonwealth Games that is still almost two decades away.

Mr Weatherill said the infrastructure cost of hosting the Games would be "enormous" and the state government would likely require federal help.

"That's something that we'd have to look at over time and budget for," he said.

"It's a long way off, but those things need to be planned for now so that we can be in a position to make an effective bid when that opportunity rises."

The next Commonwealth Games in 2014 are to be held in Glasgow while the Gold Coast will host the event in 2018.

Games from then on are yet to be determined and a Facebook page has been set up to promote Perth as a possible 2030 venue and the Canadian Commonwealth Games Association has set a goal of hosting the event by 2030.

I think Adelaide dug their own grave when a member of their own Parliament scoffed at Melbourne hosting 2006 - and at the strides Perth and Gold Coast were taking towards 2018 a labelling it a D-grade event that Adelaide was above, or words to the effect.

I wish it was Adelaide hosting 2018, it has an amazing new swimming centre, new stadium, and would have probably been more suited to the event than GC, however it is not so, and I don't think the Federal Govt should be bailing out the Commonwealth Games every 12 years.

Also this talk of a 2030 bid by the SA Govt it blatant populist politics to those who arent well versed on such matters. It's barely 12 months since Australia won 2018.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

:rolleyes:

High-level meeting to test Adelaide’s chances for Commonwealth Games bid

APRIL 29, 2014

ADELAIDE’S interest in once again bidding for the Commonwealth Games will be put to the test on Wednesday with a high-level meeting at McLaren Vale.

If there is agreement between the state government and leading SA sporting officials, Adelaide could advance its plan to host the 2030 Commonwealth Games to challenge the Welsh city of Cardiff for the 2026 Games.

Leading SA businessman Rob Gerard, the driving force behind bringing the Games to Adelaide, on Wednesday will host government and sporting officials at his Tapestry Winery at McLaren Vale.

The session is to determine if Adelaide should again seek to be Australia’s bidding city for the Commonwealth Games.

The last attempt was for the 1998 Games that were in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

It also must be decided if Adelaide nominates for the 2026 or 2030 Games. Bids for 2026 must be lodged by 2018.

A recent survey of SA’s sporting facilities suggests Adelaide already has significant infrastructure for hosting the Commonwealth Games, particularly after the $535 million redevelopment of Adelaide Oval.

There is need for an indoor sports arena and the athletes’ village that would be built on the current Women’s and Children’s Hospital site in the city. The hospital would move to the vacated Royal Adelaide Hospital.

While the reshaping of the Oval has added width to the playing field, it is still not wide enough to allow for an athletics running track. However, the Stadium Management Authority says it can copy the same engineering theme to be used at Glasgow for this year’s Commonwealth Games of temporarily lifting the deck above some of the seats on the Oval’s western flank.

Australia will next host the Commonwealth Games in 2018 on the Gold Coast.

It will be the fifth time the Games have been in Australia after Sydney (1938), Perth (1962), Brisbane (1982) and Melbourne (2006).

Courier Mail

Edited by Sir Rols

Out of necessity, I wouldn't put it past Australia having to host sooner rather than later. I wonder if Adelaide was caught out after the surprisingly successful GC bid for 2018?