Adelaide looking to bid again

Sir Rols

Adelaide may bid to host games

Adelaide Advertiser

21 March 2006

ADELAIDE is considering a bid to host a Commonwealth Games, with exploratory talks to be conducted after the Melbourne event.

South Australian Major Events general manager Leanne Grantham yesterday said a meeting with Australian Games Association officials had been planned before the Melbourne event.

This was postponed, with Ms Grantham now expecting to meet Australian Commonwealth Games Association chief Perry Crosswhite in the next few months.

She stressed the talks would be at an early, exploratory stage but said an Adelaide bid was "certainly not out of the realms of possibility". Adelaide is the only mainland state capital that has not hosted a Commonwealth Games.

2018 would be too early off the back of Melbourne 2006, 2022 earliest realistic option. Canberra also is/was rumoured to be looking at bidding next time around

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, not known to most people in the world, but it will be interesting next year for Adelaide whether a Commonwealth Games bid will be possible. As I mentioned earlier, the 2007 World Police and Fire Games will be held there. This event seems to be following trends (before and after) on whether the particular host city could host the big ones.

Well, not known to most people in the world, but it will be interesting next year for Adelaide whether a Commonwealth Games bid will be possible. As I mentioned earlier, the 2007 World Police and Fire Games will be held there. This event seems to be following trends (before and after) on whether the particular host city could host the big ones.

The police & fire games do not really require the hosts to construct venues. They heavily depend on existing venues to host the games. There's nothing much to it.

Events like "Tug-o-war" can be held practically anywhere.

:)  :( The South Australian capital is the last of the major cities to host the CWGs, anything is likley when it comes to bidding and 2018 or 2022 are an easy bet if New Zealand dosn't front up.

Of all the major citys in Australia that I've visited, Adelaide is the nicest city. Just the right size for a CWG.

• 3 weeks later...
Canada in 2014, Africa in 2018, New Zealand in 2022, Scotland in 2026, Asia (Singapore, perhaps) in 2026...then Australia in 2030?

I'd like to see an Adelaide games, but Sydney is far more likely.

I doubt Sydney would be interested _ you host an OLympics and a CWGs is a step down. Anyway, we did it back in 1938.

As Alexjc said, Adelaide just seems to "smack" CWGs _ the size, it's mprettiness, the fact it is the last of our State capitals (bar Hobart, which is too small) to have a big hosting. I reckon ADelaide is our next CWGs host for sure _ sometime in the late 2030s-2040s.

Canada in 2014, Africa in 2018, New Zealand in 2022, Scotland in 2026, Asia (Singapore, perhaps) in 2026...then Australia in 2030?

I don't think Singapore would want to host. I think they were more or less offered last years SEA Games and declined them. Singapore prefers to host conferences and business events, like Expo etc.

:) Agree with the Singapore thing, that city really only is a business centre...

Got to remember that Melbourne got 2006 because Wellington and New Dehli dropped away, the CWGF would gladly accept a bid from Adelaide from 2018 onwards if they wanted them.

:) Agree with the Singapore thing, that city really only is a business centre...

Got to remember that Melbourne got 2006 because Wellington and New Dehli dropped away, the CWGF would gladly accept a bid from Adelaide from 2018 onwards if they wanted them.

Exactly, just like the IOC would gladly accept a bid from Manchester if it wanted to bid for 2016. Rogge would even go as far as saying that it had as much chance as the others and could organise an excellent games. And then it would be the first to be dropped in voting (assuming it even made the short list). No, Australia is looking at at least 20 yhears before it hosts again, probably more now that countries outside the old white Dominions club of the UK, Australia, Canada and NZ are interested in hosting.

I agree that Australia should only host every 20 or so years, though it shouldn’t be seen as a “mandatory” regulation. We top the medal tally, we have the strongest teams, a big international reputation in organisation and have some splendid venues. IMO, if an Australian city is prepared to bid just 3-4 Games down the road from the last (say 2022) then the Commonwealth should make their judgment based purely on the bid plans, not geopolitics.

Adelaide certainly is the most foreseeable option. Most of their venues are and would be centred in the parkland around the CBD, making for some spectacular views and locations. I’m sure AMII Stadium with some redeveloped western stands would work well as a main stadium (capacity around 65,000). A renovated Convention Centre and Aquatic Centre wouldn’t hurt either.

In 2022

Brisbane, will be looking to the Olympics.

Melbourne, too geezer.

Sydney, too glamorous.

Hobart, too small

Canberra, too….too, ewww.

Darwin, too close to Indonesia

Perth, too disappointing, yet rich.

Gold Coast, too Indy.

Newcastle, too Geelong

Auckland, too good at rugby.

Adelaide, too perfect

• 2 weeks later...

canada never again as halifax looks like a bunch of morons chasing a promise that would never have to be kept by the former liberal prime minister Paul Martin. Hamilton is making too big a stink and paid the price for the mud raking with the 2003 bid . The City of Markham council rejected funding the domestic bid even for their 15,000 dollar canadian share in the york region council. The CBC is rumuored to have to be paid to broadcast a Daily hi-lites show by the organizers of the 2006 CWG's.

Nigeria will win over a pathetic attempt in Halifax to leverage federal money for a staduim without a tenant on the back of a sports event . The federal government landscape has changed with the election of a conservative government in canada. Our new prime minister is an economist from the very riding of Calgary West which with the second most profitable mutli sports games in the history of mankind rejected the CWG franchise siting the costs were too high for too few benefits.

Calgary and the Province of Alberta have first hand knowledge of the CWG franchise and turned thumbs down on an encore to Edmonton 1978. With a 7.5 billion dollar budget surplus alberta could fund the last 3 commonwealth games and the montreal olympics. With what they made in surplus last year because of high energy prices alberta could fund every single commonwealth games but They dont even care to entertain that thought 3 months before the domestic bid is awarded and they pull out.  

jim jones

:)  :( The South Australian capital is the last of the major cities to host the CWGs, anything is likley when it comes to bidding and 2018 or 2022 are an easy bet if New Zealand dosn't front up.

Of all the major citys in Australia that I've visited, Adelaide is the nicest city. Just the right size for a CWG.

1.  I don’t think any city is the “right” size. The city is the correct size for the type of Games it choses to put on. For example, a Games the size of Melbourne’s wouldn’t be suited to a city Adelaide, and vice versa.

Adelaide, if it choses to host would put on a Games that suits it as a city, even if this means downscaling from the more recent larger Games in 1998, somewhat 2002 and 2006.

2. A redeveloped Adelaide Oval I believe would make an excellent main stadium. I personally don’t see AMII as a suitable venue. A continuation of the new eastern pavilions constructed for 2003 all the way around the ground would be faboulous. The ground has excellent dimensions for athletics, despite never having held competition.

Singapore is bidding to host the 2011 SEA Games after Laos decided not to go ahead due to financial constraints.

Singapore's Sports Hub that should be ready in time for the 2011 games comprises of the newly refurbished indoor and outdoor stadium, an aquatic centre, and an indoor arena...

Maybe after that they would be interested in the CWG.

Sadly, Adelaide faces huge obstacles in getting the CG. They've wanted them for a long time, but their chances don't look too good for the near future.

Firstly, there's the domestic competition, Perth and Canberra, both having more world status than Adelaide. Australia putting forward it's capital city, or no.4 city (perth) would stand better chance of bringing games back to the country.

Secondly, even if Adelaide is the Australian candidate in 2022 etc, the international competition will be too strong-

-Wellington/ Auckland/ Christchurch

(NZ not having hosted since 1990)

- Glasgow (Scotland not hosted since 1986, also Manchester less

recent than melbourne 2006)

- Cardiff (Wales not hosted since 1958)

- Cape Town/ Johannesburg/ Durban

(S.Africa never hosted, even if Abuja gets 2014, it's difficult to justify a 5th Australian Cg's when S.Africa has never hosted, also these 3 cities have more world status than Adelaide. Even Melbourne wouldn't won 2006, if faced up against a bid from Cape Town)

- Halifax, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Ottawa- Canada not hosted since 1994, also Hamilton birth place of CG's in 1930, and rejected for 2010.

- Singapore- world financial centre, major world status

Sadly, Adelaide faces huge obstacles in getting the CG. They've wanted them for a long time, but their chances don't look too good for the near future.

Firstly, there's the domestic competition, Perth and Canberra, both having more world status than Adelaide. Australia putting forward it's capital city, or no.4 city (perth) would stand better chance of bringing games back to the country.

Secondly, even if Adelaide is the Australian candidate in 2022 etc, the international competition will be too strong-

-Wellington/ Auckland/ Christchurch

(NZ not having hosted since 1990)

- Glasgow (Scotland not hosted since 1986, also Manchester less

recent than melbourne 2006)

- Cardiff (Wales not hosted since 1958)

- Cape Town/ Johannesburg/ Durban

(S.Africa never hosted, even if Abuja gets 2014, it's difficult to justify a 5th Australian Cg's when S.Africa has never hosted, also these 3 cities have more world status than Adelaide. Even Melbourne wouldn't won 2006, if faced up against a bid from Cape Town)

- Halifax, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Ottawa- Canada not hosted since 1994, also Hamilton birth place of CG's in 1930, and rejected for 2010.

- Singapore- world financial centre, major world status

Yeah, you're probably quite right _  if Australia were bidding for the CWGs of 2014 or 2018 or even 2022

But of course, Melbourne's just hosted and all but the most blindly optimistic and enthusiastic Aussies pretty well recognise that it's two or three decades before Australia will host them again (nobody's seriously postulating a 2022 Aussie bid). By which time the likes of NZ, Canada, the UK, Africa and Asian will have had a "turn". And then a year will come when Australia's claims on hosting the games look pretty good again _ indeed, it will be almost inevitable that they will host them _ and when that year comes Adelaide will be a contender, along with the likes of Perth and Canberra, as you mentioned, and perhaps Brisbane or even Hobart. And in that case, Adelaide will have one big emotional card and advantage to play _ it will have been the only major mainland city mnot to have hosted a big event. Sure, that may not be enough, but it just may be more than it needs as well.

I feel sorry for Adelaide, because in theory Melbourne has pinched 2 events from the city. Firstly, the F1 Grand prix was moved, and then melbourne was picked as Australia's 2006 CG candidate. Of course, with Wellington dropping out Adeliade would have hosted the 2006 CGs, as it would have been the only bid.

Archived