Halifax 2014 - Canadian CG bid race

mr.x

With the alleged shakiness of Delhi's preparations for the 2010 CG, could Hamilton become the alternate host of these Games, leaving Halifax in the dust?

nope it would be Singapore who has the facilites in place and pulled out of the biding in 2003. They would keep the games in the region much like the IOC tried in 1974 when the citizens of denver revolted and tossed the winter olympics in a public vote. The IOC then courted Graibaldi, British Columbia who lost to Denver. The government had changed in British Columbia and the Dave Barnett NDP government in BC rejected the offer. The 1976 winter games ended up in Innsbrook Austria. The Same thing happened last year with Fina taking away the world aquatic championships in montreal. Fina then courted Long Beach who bid on those championships as well. Long beach rejected Fina offer because city council was not in the funding mood to lose money on anothe aquatic championship like they did in 2004 with the United States Olympics trials for the Athens Games in Greece. They try to keep the games in the region awarded so the biggest money for international games TV rights does not have to be re rigged because of radical time zone changes from what was sold before.

jim jones

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm predicting that Halifax is going to cancel their bid if they stay on the same track.

Now THAT would be a scandal _ Hamilton would sure have reason to call foul then!

halifax has a very pressing problem with a potiential bill of 600 million for a sewer system that is badly needed according to a recent report by the city engineer. Accord to him the system is now in crisis management mode and 3 million a year underfunds the required upgrades by 6 times the amount required of 24 million.

Peter Kelly is on the record as saying it was not the councils intension to raise taxes on the games but as for the sewer system the council will be adding the cost to the water bill for the hrm .

No new taxes are converted into high prices for the services the citizens get.

Peter Kelly looks very pregant with Irish twins much like mayor Jean Drapeau did in 1976. Drapeau had the water system to contend with along with the burden of the summer olympics.

Irish twins are babies born to the same mother in the same calender year.  

jim jones

opposition may get stronger to the halifax CWG with news of Jean charest premier of quebec now wanting to have quebec city host the 2022 olympic winter games. The province of quebec is finally getting out of debt from the montreal olympics and a 100 million dollar annual revenue from a 19 cent a pack cigarette tax will provide charest the money to build facilities around quebec city. With Opening and Closing ceremonies now being held in outdoor stadiums which are usually used for soccer or north american football teams as in the case of vancouver Calgary and Salt Lake City in the summer. Watch for charest to first build a outdoor stadium inwhich a new CFL franchise will be the tenant. Charest gets a tenant for the first venue until the winter games in 2022 as opposed to first building a ski jump or sliding events venue that the techincal requirements could change from now to 2022.

With the Ottawa Renegade out for this season Quebec may be able to pick up that franchise and Ottawa may later come back. If both Ottawa and Quebec city come into the league in the next two years or sooner then there will no need for addition CFL teams. The desire of the CFL has been to have 5 teams in the eastern division and 5 in the western to finally make for ease of scheduling. The need for a halifax franchise to increase the eastern division to 5 teams to match the western divison would not longer be needed.

With the door closed for a CFl Franchise the City of Halifax could not justify a 100 million plus stadium with no possible longterm tenant and a multi million dollar annual maintanence bill for an empty stadium.

jim jones

you people never get it don't you! what do you need Ritalin? After an unprecedented display of cosmic opulence that Melbourne managed to achieve, do you think the CGC will give Halifax - a SMALL canadian maritime town - a second glance?

I am amazed at how the policy makers in Canada think! halifax against Glasgow? yeah right! The only reason why the CGC will probably consider Halifax is because of Manchester 2002.

How does canada remain a developed country, i just don't know......

you people never get it don't you! what do you need Ritalin? After an unprecedented display of cosmic opulence that Melbourne managed to achieve, do you think the CGC will give Halifax - a SMALL canadian maritime town - a second glance?

I am amazed at how the policy makers in Canada think! halifax against Glasgow? yeah right! The only reason why the CGC will probably consider Halifax is because of Manchester 2002.

How does canada remain a developed country, i just don't know......

hey I agree pro games people in Halifax are dafted. With one facility of the list of many there is not a chance they could win.

Glasgow might be your favourite but my money is on Abuja simply because they had Olympic preferred design firms and construction firms build the facilities for the 2003 all-african games.Glasgow does not have the entire package on the ground. Nigeria has the money recently becoming foreign debt free and they had history working for them. It will either be glasgow or abuja and hlaifax will be knocked out in the first round with only one vote coming from canada. The Africans and Asians voted as a block for new delhi and next year the favour will be returned for africa.

Africa deserves it after all in the 76 years of the commonwealth games

the uk has hosted 5 times

Canada has hosted 4 times

Australia has hosted 4 times

new zealand has hosted 3 times

The entire continent of asia 2 time with New Delhi 2010

and finally a nation of black rule has only hosted once 40 years ago with kingston jamaica.

Not once in the 76 year history has the games been hosted in africa.

The president of the federation is a black man from Jamaica Mike Ferrell and the president of the IAAF is a black man from the west african nation of senegal.

The african and asians will award this to Abuja as the european commonwealth nations at not of a number to counter a voting block of all the african, carribean and asian nations. If the majority vote was overturned that would be the end of the commonwealth games.  

As for canada remaining a developed country it is very simple we sell the united states the resources they need and should start to think about how we have gotten ripped off with our relationship with great britian IE a billion dollars worth of submarines that are british industry JUNK. And the one billion dollars they have owned us since world war 2 not paying a dime back.  

jim jones

the end is near for halifax. No federal money in last nights budget for the CWG's and council gave the Bid committee a rough ride last night that is the headline for Gamesbid.com

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Halifax 2014 Commonwealth Bid Committee Update Gets “Rough Ride”

Posted 11:13 am ET (GamesBids.com)

The Halifax-based Chronicle Herald reports that what was supposed to be a routine update by Halifax 2014 Commonwealth bid officials turned out to be a “fairly rough ride” at the city’s regional council meeting Tuesday.

Some councillors reportedly expressed their impatience with the “dribble of details” they have been receiving from the Commonwealth bid committee.

One councillor told the meeting “I think this has to be public as soon as possible. It’s just like this big secret, and I’m not sure why”.

Scott Logan, CEO of the bid committee, said the public won’t hear the cost of the bid for about a month and the full cost of the Games won’t become public for about a year.

According to the Halifax Daily News he told the councillors, “we want to release as much as you can, but you have to be cautious. You only have to look at Scotland’s Web site to see some of our ideas”. Glasgow Scotland and Abuja Nigeria are bidding against Halifax for the right to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

“The numbers can be released at a point in time that doesn’t jeopardize our competitiveness”, he said.

Logan pledged fiscal details will be made public at different junctures as the bid process unfolds.

The most recent estimate of hosting the 2014 Games is $785 million, which will be shared by the municipality, the province, the federal government and the private sector. Organizers have said the Games will generate about $2 billion in economic spin-offs.

Some councillors said taxpayers would not support the bid if they don’t find out how much it costs soon.

Dale MacLennan, the bid’s finance director, told the councillors the bid budget is the most detailed any Canadian bid committee has ever put together.

The city’s bid committee has until May 12 to finalize its bid budget. The proposed budget will be shown to councillors behind closed doors before it goes to the federal government, reports the Chronicle Herald.

The whole Canadian bid for the 2014 CWG has been plagued with problems. It wouldn't surprise me if Halifax dropped out of the bid.

the entire thing is so embrassing to be very honest. Cities are preparing themselves so far in advance with venues that biding on a games and having to build 80 percent of what is needed is impossible to control. The pro games people in hlaifax are really driven by a perception of a need for a stadium. They feel it make them a real urban centre for a world class.

Stadiums never do that at all.

jim jones.

the political pressure is on to stop the bid.

I think the Halifax bid is doomed.  If they were doing this to secure a stadium and a future CFL team, they overshot and eneded up shooting themselves in the foot.

I wonder what Moncton's CFL team will call themselves?  The Moncton Mavericks?  The NB Waves?  The Don't-cry-for-me-Nova-Scotians?

I think the Halifax bid is doomed.  If they were doing this to secure a stadium and a future CFL team, they overshot and eneded up shooting themselves in the foot.

I wonder what Moncton's CFL team will call themselves?  The Moncton Mavericks?  The NB Waves?  The Don't-cry-for-me-Nova-Scotians?

realistically the cfl should locate a team in quebec city. The laval football team does very well and they have PEPS stadium at 18500 seats right now.The best attended game for PEP was about 19,200 for the games against Mc Gill last year. The record prior was about 19,100 for a game agaisnt concordia.  Moncton has a population less then regina's . With quebec city having a population about twice as much as halifax and either a stadium that can be increased to the 25,000 for a cfl franchise or PEP stadium could be the temporary home til a new stadium is built.

The maritimes really is off the beaten path from the entire league and you would have to depend on locals only for the gate. with quebec city you atleast have a high speed train to montreal you can take for the away games. toronto and hamilton are accessable that way too.

The montreal /quebec rivilary could be great for business. No one is going to fly to halifax for a game or moncton for that matter.

jim jones

Be very careful when reading comments by the Jones fella.

He's been banned from several discussion boards, and he's been asked to leave a board that is didicated to Glasgow's bid!

He's full of BS and should be ignored, unless of course you share his negativity about EVERYTHING.

You must have noticed he just replies to his own posts over and over?

Take it easy P.T

I don't know...the Maritimes are as close to Montreal as Vancouver is to Calgary or Winnepeg is to Toronto.  Besides, football support is local...and people don't walk to games.  I mean, Canada is a really big country.

Moncton offers a number of things.  First is the new stadium being planned for the 2010 Junior Athletics competition.  Second, Moncton has some of the best infrastructure in the Maritimes.  Third, Moncton is dead smack in the middle of the entire region.  By car it is two hours to Halifax, two hours to Fredericton, two hours to the Acadian Peninsual, an hour to Mt. Alison University, an hour to PEI and an hour to Saint John, connected by rail, connected by a modern central airport and they have Sunday Shopping, which Nova Scotians don't have.  Marketed to combine the team as a Maritime team with Moncton at the centre of a population base of about 2 million people, it could work.  That's about the population base that is realistically able to support teams like Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Ottawa and even Vancouver.

And my final point for Moncton...their promoters are very smart.  They've turned a rather dreary, mundane town of only 100,000 people into a rather successful community that is able to attract attention away from the bigger, more industrial Saint John and the more elegant capital of Fredericton.

Be very careful when reading comments by the Jones fella.

He's been banned from several discussion boards, and he's been asked to leave a board that is didicated to Glasgow's bid!

He's full of BS and should be ignored, unless of course you share his negativity about EVERYTHING.

You must have noticed he just replies to his own posts over and over?

Take it easy P.T

thanks for the vote of confidence BD.

I don't know...the Maritimes are as close to Montreal as Vancouver is to Calgary or Winnepeg is to Toronto.  Besides, football support is local...and people don't walk to games.  I mean, Canada is a really big country.

Moncton offers a number of things.  First is the new stadium being planned for the 2010 Junior Athletics competition.  Second, Moncton has some of the best infrastructure in the Maritimes.  Third, Moncton is dead smack in the middle of the entire region.  By car it is two hours to Halifax, two hours to Fredericton, two hours to the Acadian Peninsual, an hour to Mt. Alison University, an hour to PEI and an hour to Saint John, connected by rail, connected by a modern central airport and they have Sunday Shopping, which Nova Scotians don't have.  Marketed to combine the team as a Maritime team with Moncton at the centre of a population base of about 2 million people, it could work.  That's about the population base that is realistically able to support teams like Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Ottawa and even Vancouver.

And my final point for Moncton...their promoters are very smart.  They've turned a rather dreary, mundane town of only 100,000 people into a rather successful community that is able to attract attention away from the bigger, more industrial Saint John and the more elegant capital of Fredericton.

well logic would tell a person that between the largest population centre in the region halifax and the emrging city of moncton you would have something to bring to the cfl. The problem for halifax has been terrible planning to build on events like the canada games in 1969 inwhich a new track and field venue was built in dartmouth while the ST. Mary huskies had huskie stadium in Halifax . Instead of building from a base you build two bases??? Knoxville Tennessee is the best example of constructing a stadium in a logical way and making that the sole stadium exterprize in the city. Knoxville is the size of halifax and the university of tennessee has the largest college stadium in the entire united states. A plan was set in place and that stadium breaking ground in 1921 with the room to expand is now at 101,000 capacity.Knoxville build as demand dictated.

Moncton in regards to arenas and stadiums has always had a view to having the site for their venues able to expand. Until recently you also had the dartmouth/halifax and even sackville competting interests that stopped a logical progression in the HRM .Monctons stadium for the IAAF juniors in 2010 is very logically and really takes a page book out of the book of the UofT Neyland stadium developement. Building on the university of moncton campus with room to expand.    

Quebec City with PEPS stadium of 18500 seats and the population of Moncton and Halifax combined is certainly something the CFL could bank on in quebec city . Halifax and Moncton well. Halifax would have the second smallest population for a CFl City and Regina is really like a Green Bay Packers of the canadian football league community ownership going back to the middle of the 20 th century. Community ownership will never happen in this day and age anywheres because there are so many ways to be entertained in your home for free or without having to deal with the outdoors in november in the case of a playoff game in canada. Moncton would be a lower population that Regina. 12,000 people paying 60 dollars for a novelty event in halifax looks good for an exhibition games. Championship teams that then had losing seasons in Halifax were not supported in the lean times in droves. The AHL is a good example of that. It is one thing to get double the ticket price for half of the requirement for attendance for toronto vs. hamilton but get 25,000 people out when you have an ottawa renegade on your hands every second week for a ten game season. Greater Ottawa is has 60 percent more population and where are the rough riders and renegade now. Bankruptcy.

Emotionally a group of people would like to have a CFl franchise is halifax or moncton . The league I am sure would like to have a team that would link the league from the atlantic to the pacific.

Financially it would not be able to be substained. To me putting a stadium halfway between the two might be the only way to have a 30 year future but that is not feasable either or realistic.

jim jones

I doubt the Canadian Commonwealth Federation would allow Hamilton or any other Canadian bid to put forward a 2014 bid if Halifax dropped out.

The Canadian Commonwealth Federation isn't too happy with Hamilton at the moment. Hamilton is pushing for an independent federal investigation into the selection of the 2014 domestic bid.

I doubt the Canadian Commonwealth Federation would allow Hamilton or any other Canadian bid to put forward a 2014 bid if Halifax dropped out.

The Canadian Commonwealth Federation isn't too happy with Hamilton at the moment. Hamilton is pushing for an independent federal investigation into the selection of the 2014 domestic bid.

This is a huge problem for the CWG's in Canada. You have to question how Hamilton lost in 2005 but was the representative for Canada in 2003. When Hamilton's people cried foul over New Delhi being awarded then that sealed the deal for Hamilton's future with the federation.

I beleive Calgary knew what was going on and pulled out in September 2005. It is clearly on the political agenda of Paul Martin to push for Halifax because he knew it was a funding promise he would minimize his risk or in business terms exposure on. Halifax not likely winning in the international biding would gather him support in the region without any investment. The 2005 challenger jet tour of Paul Martins promised over 32 billion for projects nationwide.

Calgary,Hamilton, Ottawa and the York region would have been more likely to win with many more venues in place and thus winning domestically makes the people of Halifax feel good going to the polls with the false hope that they will somehow elevate the city via a promise never to be kept. The liberals returned their MPs to parliament for the HRM but of course came up short of forming a government.

Was Paul Martin sincere about wanting the HRM to host the CWG in 2014??? Well he did not show it in 2005 when he stood up the annual commonwealth nations conference in Malta. The other nations of the commonwealth then questioned Canada's commitment to the body. Looks like vailed sabotage to me perhaps hedging his bet that he would gain political capital without having to pay anything.

jim jones

Wonderful post to my last resopnse Jim Jones.

Africashould be given the games.

well not to knock you at all becuase I do agree with you about halifax and I do see it as a glasgow/abuja contest. The problem for Glasgow is countering that compelling case for the games to finally go to Africa. Does not mean I agree with the decision that would send it there. My money is on Abuja.I do not want to discourage anyone from routing for glasgow LOLOLOL.

Jim jones

The whole Canadian bid for the 2014 CWG has been plagued with problems. It wouldn't surprise me if Halifax dropped out of the bid.

"Plagued with problems" Talk about an over statement. Halifax has had no more problems than any of the other bid cities.

Don't think Moncton will ever get a CFL team. If they did it wouldn't last. Monton doesn't have the popualtion and another thing its only a 10,000 seat stadium their planning. I know you say its central. SO what.. you need that season ticket base and can't totally depend on people comming from other places. Beside halifax is going to get the CWG'S anyway.

and what says Halifax will last either . The metro area of Ottawa is now above 1 million people for 3 times more population then the HRM or more populaion then all of nova scotia. Ottawa has a history of the cfl from 1918 atleast with frank claire stadium yet they now have bankruptcy for CFL franchises twice in the last 20 years.

The entire maritmes can not support a franchise in light of that and touchdown atlantic only cover the per game quota the cfl requires. If any place is going to get a franchise it would be quebec city.

jim jones.

A compelling case as it may be for the Games to go to Africa, but only if they can justify hosting them.

i was waking up very early today  and while getting ready for work caygh the tail of a news report from Nigeria, and i wish to god i could find it online as it was about problems in the country and the government not being able to find money for the issue it was regarding.....

can anyone shed any light on it?????

Ok i may be a tad biased towards wanting Glasgow to host in 2014, but any country unable to provide and maintain a decent way of life for its population should not be splurging money on bids like this

"Plagued with problems" Talk about an over statement. Halifax has had no more problems than any of the other bid cities.

I'm sure Glasgow doesn't have this problem...

Call for an investigation into the 2014 Commonwealth Games domestic bid

Public opinion trailing

Bid committee losing support at City Council

Support fot Glasgows bid is backed by all the local council and polititians.

pretty much like the way the government pulled together for the backing of Londons 2012 bid, and we had a visit by Seb Coe on Thursday  and now have his complete backing on our bid too......

Sorry Hlifax, we are beating you on that front at the moment

Archived