Halifax 2014 - Canadian CG bid race

mr.x

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Halifax Bid team releases sports line up. I like that fact they included basketball.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/news/details.asp?id=20070216005

Why do you like the fact that basketball is included? Canada didnt even enter a team in Melbourne - and i believe that the competition only allows for 8 teams to compete.

Why do you like the fact that basketball is included? Canada didnt even enter a team in Melbourne - and i believe that the competition only allows for 8 teams to compete.

Is it that only 8 teams are allowed to compete, or that only 8 tems entered during the Melbourne Games? It was the first time for basketball to be played in the Commonwealth Games....just thinking maybe there were only 8 entered...I have no idea. Regardless, I think Halifax had to put basketball on the agenda...it would appeal to a larger audience, and by this I mean a larger Canadian audience, and it is also a great spectator sport. Plus....I think Canada would have a pretty good shot at a medal...or at least I hope they would!

......because I like basketball and Halifax is known as a basketball city in Canada whcih will bring thre crowds.

Rising costs may force Halifax to abandon Commonwealth Games bid

Canadian Press and the Hamilton Spectator

HALIFAX -- The bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games for Halifax can still be stopped if the cost of the Games themselves proves too expensive, a business audience was told this week.

Halifax Deputy Mayor Sue Uteck said regional council continues to unanimously back the $14.3-million bid. But she said that endorsement is conditional on the estimated cost of the event itself not being too rich for the municipality's blood.

"Can we pull out?" Uteck said, responding to an audience member's question. "Absolutely."

Does that mean there's a chance Hamilton could be back in contention for a third run at the Games? Ian Dovey, Mayor Fred Eisenberger's communications adviser, says unless Halifax actually bails, there's nothing to talk about and no cause for speculation either way.

And David Adames, executive director of Tourism Hamilton and vice-president of the now-disbanded Commonwealth Games bid committee, says even if there was an opening and municipal interest, putting things together in time for the May 9 bid deadline would be nearly impossible.

He added that since Halifax won the right to make the Canadian bid 15 months ago, there have been no discussions of contingency plans that would allow Hamilton to quickly fire up the bid machinery.

Uteck said council is to review the proposed cost of the Games next month. That meeting will probably be held in secret, and then a vote on the city's share of the estimate, and whether it's deemed affordable, is to be held in public.

Apple it is becoming apparent the Halifax commonwealth games bid is going to get the boot from council. Sue Uteck is the widow of Larry Uteck . He was Football coach for St Marys University.Larry I beleive took St marys to the varier cup a couple of times and won at least once. Her main angle for a commonwealth games is a stadium for a CFL team . When Sue Uteck is saying they could pull the plug you might as well say the council has their finger of the chain ready to pull the bath water out.

Rick Howe had more Info leaked from the committee and he has stated in his column today that the exclusion of padaling in the choice of sports is not very good considering we have some of the best facilities in the world for that sport. Banook lake is a natural. That is the problem for a commonwealth games here. you have a great diconnect between the tastes of the rest of the commonwealth and us here in nova scotia.

The waste of money is incredible considering this is all something anti games people like myself and Bruce Devenne knew back in january 2006.

Jim Jones.

The reason for Canada not having a basketball team at the commonweath games in melbourne is very simple. Anyone who is good in the mouth of march for basketball in Canada is either a NBA player like Steve Nash, In the CIAA college ranks in canada or even in the NCAA US college system . March is not a good time to have assembled a team to represent Canada. With Australia and New Zealand they have similiar concerns but they also have good domestic pro leagues that could allow for a break in their schedules. A basketball tourniment in Canada in the summer months would probably have the best from the entire commonwealth playing or atleast not a very much watered down version of the best.

jim jones

Rick Howe had more Info leaked from the committee and he has stated in his column today that the exclusion of padaling in the choice of sports is not very good considering we have some of the best facilities in the world for that sport. Banook lake is a natural. That is the problem for a commonwealth games here. you have a great diconnect between the tastes of the rest of the commonwealth and us here in nova scotia.

Jim Jones.

First of all...I don't believe paddling is a Commonwealth sport...however, rowing is a Commonwealth sport. Is this what you mean?? My understanding is that there is a Commonwealth Rowing Championship held every 4 years anyway...so why would you choose rowing as a sport?! Actually, Strathclyde Country Park just played host to these championships last August. As we all know, Scotland did not select rowing as one of their 17 sports. So, while they have championship venues...they didn't select rowing...are they being careless and wasting money? Yes, Halifax does have great facilities, and Canada is strong in rowing events, but you must remember the committee has to keep other countries in mind. Just my two cents worth.

Rising costs may force Halifax to abandon Commonwealth Games bid

Canadian Press and the Hamilton Spectator

HALIFAX -- The bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games for Halifax can still be stopped if the cost of the Games themselves proves too expensive, a business audience was told this week.

Halifax Deputy Mayor Sue Uteck said regional council continues to unanimously back the $14.3-million bid. But she said that endorsement is conditional on the estimated cost of the event itself not being too rich for the municipality's blood.

"Can we pull out?" Uteck said, responding to an audience member's question. "Absolutely."

snipped for reading and space...

Thanks Apple for posting article...sounds little like some(SU) are anticipating the inevitable while trying to save face...I wonder why Sue spoke on this...was Peter's mouth full? .

I find it a misrepresentation when they call it the Metro bid: NO IT IS NOT THE MeTRO BID it is the bid set forth by those not the least bit concerned about Metro....

I truly think that this is a great opportunity for CWG to set new guidelines on bidding..I think it is very unfair for HRM at this stage of the game to be calling doubt when someone else could have had a strong bidding throughout.....it really makes us look weak and premature:both signs of an immature govt.

Apple it is becoming apparent the Halifax commonwealth games bid is going to get the boot from council. Sue Uteck is the widow of Larry Uteck . He was Football coach for St Marys University.Larry I beleive took St marys to the varier cup a couple of times and won at least once. Her main angle for a commonwealth games is a stadium for a CFL team . When Sue Uteck is saying they could pull the plug you might as well say the council has their finger of the chain ready to pull the bath water out.

The waste of money is incredible considering this is all something anti games people like myself and Bruce Devenne knew back in january 2006.

Jim Jones.

Jim, good to know about paddling which is far more popular globally than basketball. Paddling IS part of NS we have a strong team. To ignore the 'free' natural venues to think about putting us in further debt building cement ones is.....again a disconnect....

the strength of Glasgow is they are using already established buildings...and I think that is a huge plus...not only for renewal but a sure sign of govt/city maturity and being cognizant of not misspending public money as they claim publically.

First of all...I don't believe paddling is a Commonwealth sport...however, rowing is a Commonwealth sport. Is this what you mean?? My understanding is that there is a Commonwealth Rowing Championship held every 4 years anyway...so why would you choose rowing as a sport?! Actually, Strathclyde Country Park just played host to these championships last August. As we all know, Scotland did not select rowing as one of their 17 sports. So, while they have championship venues...they didn't select rowing...are they being careless and wasting money? Yes, Halifax does have great facilities, and Canada is strong in rowing events, but you must remember the committee has to keep other countries in mind. Just my two cents worth.

It IS rowing and I would correct that in my own post but could not be bothered. Those paying attention know...LOL..in fact nothing stopping paddling from accompanying rowing in the same venues here in HRM..I have done both at Banook and they are equally spectator's sports enjoyed by many.

I wonder if Glasgow not selecting rowing was wasted money if they know what you do in that rowing has its own event.....why be redundant? We know bids can select, within reason, what sports are included in their package so the inclusion or exclusion of certain ones is only my concern when the obvious are missing. Not having rowing or paddling in NS is an obvious MISSING event.

However if after a thorough consultation that rowing has its own event and /or there are emerging trends with other sports then that would be a viable reason why to drop it.

It is all a gamble to some degree.

Jim, good to know about paddling which is far more popular globally than basketball. Paddling IS part of NS we have a strong team. To ignore the 'free' natural venues to think about putting us in further debt building cement ones is.....again a disconnect....

Read the other posts....PADDLING IS NOT A COMMONWEALTH GAMES EVENT!

Also M for the record: those who have paddled, kayaked, boated and rowed... they tend to get use loosely although they are different sports. I have never said : we went kayaking the other day. We say we went boating or paddled the other day even if we rowed or kayaked....if the sport uses a paddle it it often informally called paddling...

much like swimming...we have freestyle, breast/butterfly, backstroke...but we say I went swimming....guess what SWIMMING IS A COMMOWEALTH SPORT so is backstroke, freestyle etc...

INTERCHANGEABLE M!!!!!!

relax

It IS rowing and I would correct that in my own post but could not be bothered. Those paying attention know...LOL..in fact nothing stopping paddling from accompanying rowing in the same venues here in HRM..I have done both at Banook and they are equally spectator's sports enjoyed by many.

I wonder if Glasgow not selecting rowing was wasted money if they know what you do in that rowing has its own event.....why be redundant? We know bids can select, within reason, what sports are included in their package so the inclusion or exclusion of certain ones is only my concern when the obvious are missing. Not having rowing or paddling in NS is an obvious MISSING event.

However if after a thorough consultation that rowing has its own event and /or there are emerging trends with other sports then that would be a viable reason why to drop it.

It is all a gamble to some degree.

Perhaps you should get Rick Howe to correct his column in today's Daily News....appears someone didn't do their research and has mentioned canoeing...LOL....or what is it you say...ROTFLMAO...I think that is it ;)

Yes it could be easily hosted, but the fact remains that paddling is not an event, and there is no need for rowing to be selected as there is a Commonwealth Championship every four years...in fact the same year as the Commonwealth Games....it would seem silly for any bid to select rowing. I wish it wasn't that way, I enjoy watching rowing, but it just seems to be the case...I wouldn't blame the bid committee for this one....seems like the Commonwealth Games Federation may be in charge of that decision. Overall, I think they made good choices. What would you have chosen??

Also M for the record: those who have paddled, kayaked, boated and rowed... they tend to get use loosely although they are different sports. I have never said : we went kayaking the other day. We say we went boating or paddled the other day even if we rowed or kayaked....if the sport uses a paddle it it often informally called paddling...

much like swimming...we have freestyle, breast/butterfly, backstroke...but we say I went swimming....guess what SWIMMING IS A COMMOWEALTH SPORT so is backstroke, freestyle etc...

INTERCHANGEABLE M!!!!!!

relax

Rowing uses oars...not paddles....;)

Well your Two cents is very right to say the least. The problem I have stated is tat the commonwealth games have too many sports that really mean very little to

Atlantic Canada or even Canada for that matter. THe Pan Am Games have more in common with our culture then the british commonwealth. To me thou rowing or paddling have a common appeal. When you think about Lawn Bowling, Netball and Squash you are taking about sports outside the olympic program. Atleast with the Pan Am Games you have all the olympic sports and Baseball and Softball which will not be included in the olympics in 2012. To spend one to two billion on facilities and operation costs for a 10 day sports festival with little interest in the sports presented seems a bit stupid.

The odd thing I saw with regards to Baseball and Softball is that until this Year the All-african games actually have touriments in those sports on the continent of africa.

Basketball Should be a required sport no question. Glasgow has opped out of basketball . Abuja I can see having basketball in their bid.

jim jones

Perhaps you should get Rick Howe to correct his column in today's Daily News....appears someone didn't do their research and has mentioned canoeing...LOL....or what is it you say...ROTFLMAO...I think that is it ;)

Yes it could be easily hosted, but the fact remains that paddling is not an event, and there is no need for rowing to be selected as there is a Commonwealth Championship every four years...in fact the same year as the Commonwealth Games....it would seem silly for any bid to select rowing. I wish it wasn't that way, I enjoy watching rowing, but it just seems to be the case...I wouldn't blame the bid committee for this one....seems like the Commonwealth Games Federation may be in charge of that decision. Overall, I think they made good choices. What would you have chosen??

But Kayak Paddling is an event that is in the olympics actually 1000 and 500 metres I believe. Womens and Mens singles and doubles Kayak. I think what Rick Howe is saying is that with a north american and other championships held in the HRM it is something that it is not in the bid or even considered.

jim jones

I have not read the RH column so I cannot speak to that. If RH said canoeing that is hilarious....I can see if he said boating as that would be the most genral term used....canoeing ? OMG how Canadian...next portaging will be a CGW event...just be thankful the Scots do not have log throwing as a CWG as they say: when in Rome....

I actually love all aquatic events from swimming to canoeing LOL...I think skulling/rowing/kayaking etc is the epitome of team work showing the maximal rhythm in moton as athletes work together as one....I can watch it for hours.....I do not know if you have ever seen warcanoe in a race...it is a great sight...but it is ultimately personal preferences which may or may not have anything to do with national or global popularity for sure... you are right about that.

M, I actually like/enjoy many sports, all I know is when bowling becomes included I am outta here...I would like to see Equestrian events removed from all GAMES, they can have their own event. I love horses I just do not see it as in par with what we demand from other sports at this level. I feel the same about synchronized swimming. I am not trying to dismiss the discipline and dedication of either sport I just do not think this CWG or Olympics are the place for them. Again personal notions of what competition and sporting is to each of us.

I do agree that redundancy seems to be silly.

I am still out on the basketball issue....I do love volleyball, indoor and sand, so I guess fair is fair basketball should be included..but only if there is an athletic motivation behind it and not some misunderstood political move....basketball in NS/HRM has a large Black fan base.......white too... but a well connected Black community base. I just hope that is not HRM cheap tactic as usual to appease the crap that has been going on here....

Rowing uses oars...not paddles....;)

Technicalities M mere technicalities..I will go lightly on ya... LOL...I may have assumed wrong but when I seen paddling I just assumed the person meant rowing..I do apologize if I misread...when I wrote paddling I was being inclusive...I would like to see more kayaking in GAMES..I mean boating or paddling ;))

Again HRM has great talent here. We should we have so many natural resources....

I would sound awfully silly if I was to say I went oaring the other day LOL...but alas we are back to a topic on another thread about language...we all use our own and then we assume others understand us too.

Well your Two cents is very right to say the least. The problem I have stated is tat the commonwealth games have too many sports that really mean very little to

Atlantic Canada or even Canada for that matter. THe Pan Am Games have more in common with our culture then the british commonwealth. To me thou rowing or paddling have a common appeal. When you think about Lawn Bowling, Netball and Squash you are taking about sports outside the olympic program. Atleast with the Pan Am Games you have all the olympic sports and Baseball and Softball which will not be included in the olympics in 2012. To spend one to two billion on facilities and operation costs for a 10 day sports festival with little interest in the sports presented seems a bit stupid.

The odd thing I saw with regards to Baseball and Softball is that until this Year the All-african games actually have touriments in those sports on the continent of africa.

Basketball Should be a required sport no question. Glasgow has opped out of basketball . Abuja I can see having basketball in their bid.

jim jones

Jim I think you are right about that..again when in Rome..we really do not see too much Cricket on the Common etc...but I actually like that flavour about GAMES it brings a unique quality that reflects the host culture and customs and for that I do enjoy. But I think there is a fine line of providing the host cultural games to losing spectators if there is no interest and if not popular back home, wherever that may be. I think Cricket is a bloody boor as are a few other sports I choose not to watch them....

I am trying to remember what Olympics I was watching and the stadium was almost bare from lack of interest...dang what was the sport.....no money made from empty seats...

I do not think baseball should be in any GAMES either... I dont think hockey should not be there either....

if volleyball is in any GAMES so should basketball.... fair is fair...

But Kayak Paddling is an event that is in the olympics actually 1000 and 500 metres I believe. Womens and Mens singles and doubles Kayak. I think what Rick Howe is saying is that with a north american and other championships held in the HRM it is something that it is not in the bid or even considered.

jim jones

Yes kayaking 500, 1000 and I think 1500, ( I might be thinking rowing now) is an event Jim and Canada does very well ...it is unfortunate to not take advantage of our natural talents here. I wonder what they were thinking?

The pro games people are getting more organized.

www.bringonthegames.ca

WOW how about some more money from the FEDs . ROTFLMAO. They can organize all they like but the feds are not giving them more money then they did for Vancouver 2010. The Stephen Harper Tories have played this to political perfection . enough to make the local population feel good and enough to hang the city and province out to dry. The AXe will come with city council at the end of march. Bye Bye commonwealth games it was nice knowing yeah and wasting 6 million of city and provincial money. LOL.

jim jones

Yes kayaking 500, 1000 and I think 1500, ( I might be thinking rowing now) is an event Jim and Canada does very well ...it is unfortunate to not take advantage of our natural talents here. I wonder what they were thinking?

It is not an event that the developing world has any talent in . When the cattle call of the commonwealth games comes it does not include anyone with world class status in kayaking or canoeing except canada, maybe australia and new zealand. International sports festival rules state you have to be able to field more then just 3 entry countries.

Again it shows the divide between us ad the commonwealth. Atleast the Pan Am games you can have an competition that is inside the olympic program and have some good world match ups within the americas. Soccer, basketball ,baseball , sailing , rowing, athletics, aquatics and a host of other olympics program sports in the Pan Am games list have some world class competition .

Canada vs the commonwealth in kayak would be a sweep of the medals for canada. Canada vs the US in the Pan am games would be very different.

I am not surprized at all Banook would not have involvement. It is a sign that the local people really play a minor consideration in the process but will be the one to pick up the bills for venues that are alien sports on these shores.

Jim jones

Archived