Halifax 2014 - Canadian CG bid race

mr.x

for some reason i don't think Abuja is going to win - the African nations have the memories of the All African Games that resulted in a few mishaps and the quality of the event was quite subpar to what other African cities had offered before and will offer after. If it was Lagos than that would be another story, also Nigeria is not a stable nation, not by a long shot. I could see the Africans saying, well they didn't come through last time, so why would they this time, give it to another city and Cape Town you better bid in 2018.

:) It's still not too late for Cape Town now...is it???

Mo Rush??? :help:

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Happy New Year to you Haligonians and those of Maritime Canada! I hope that your candidacy for the 2014 Commonwealth Games be a good one.
I think the CG's are still on a world stage.  Sure, not as big as the Olympics and not as passionately followed as the World Cup, but over 70 nations from all over the world participate.  Big markets like the USA and mainland Europe may not care, but they do have a following.
The CGs are in the IOC's interest, for now. Besides, what would be the chances of many of these athletes doing well in the Olympic Games, when the media spotlight at these Games concentrate mainly on the "traditional powers" there? At least, these athletes get a little more spotlight fame in the Commonwealth Games.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

785 Million for a Commonwealth Games...

That is a bit pricey for 'just' a Commonwealth Games. Yes I know infastructure etc.. will be completed for Halifax, but that kind of investments are running short in the country (especially in Atlantic Canada) on crumbling infastructure.

This money should be better spent.

$785 mill? Actually, I reckon that would probably be a bit of an underestimation. Sounds a bit cheap to me when we're talking about an international multi-spiorts spectacular.

It's no suprise really.

The commonwealth games are past their sell-by date in Canada.

The first tier Canadian cities: Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are not interested in bidding for/ hosting the games. Only smaller, less important cities like Hamilton, Halifax are interested. Likewise, facilities and budgets will be smaller too.

:( True, the CWGs are not cheap if a city wishes to build from scratch. But they are a great excuse if the games leave a legacy ie- Manchester.  

Melbourne 06 allowed for massive upgrading of that city's already excellent sports facilities.

The CG Federation dosen't actively encourage all new facilities to be built, thats up to the host city, but they do like to see an acceptable level of high standards.  Victoria 1994 would now be considered the entry level.

Kuala Lumpur really raised the bar for the CWG's.

Halifax's budget seems low.  The city needs a lot of major facilities to make this work.  I don't think Nigeria is ready so that means that Glasgow is the prime competition and probably the leading bid to begin with.

If Nigeria wins, it will be because of pan-African support.

So, now that Nova Scotia has a new premier, would this have any effect on Halifax's bid for the 2014 CG?

$785 mill? Actually, I reckon that would probably be a bit of an underestimation. Sounds a bit cheap to me when we're talking about an international multi-spiorts spectacular.

It's no suprise really.

The first tier Canadian cities: Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are not interested in bidding for/ hosting the games. Only smaller, less important cities like Hamilton, Halifax are interested. Likewise, facilities and budgets will be smaller too.

I don't know what you mean by past their sell-by date _  if they'd past their use-by date, nobody told the cities _ Ottawa, Toronto(York), Hamilton and Halifax _ who were keen to bid for 2014.

Canada's top tier cities have NEVER been interested in them, bar Vancouver 1954. I've always liked the fact that Canada has always been the one that has done most to keep them low key and down homey with hosts like Hamilton, Edmonton and Victoria. I'd say the Canadians have done more by that to instill a special spirit to the CWGs than any other country. Halifax is just keeping up a long Canuck tradition.

Good comment, roltel. I don't want the Commonwealth Games to fall into the same trap as the Summer Olympics, when it comes to cost and the atmosphere. As some of us posted in other topics earlier, being big is not always better.

It's no suprise really.

I don't know what you mean by past their sell-by date _  if they'd past their use-by date, nobody told the cities _ Ottawa, Toronto(York), Hamilton and Halifax _ who were keen to bid for 2014.

Canada's top tier cities have NEVER been interested in them, bar Vancouver 1954. I've always liked the fact that Canada has always been the one that has done most to keep them low key and down homey with hosts like Hamilton, Edmonton and Victoria. I'd say the Canadians have done more by that to instill a special spirit to the CWGs than any other country. Halifax is just keeping up a long Canuck tradition.

York region, Hamilton, Halifax and Ottawa only showed interest because they know that they have practically no chance of hosting things like the summer olympics, world athletics championships, world swimming championships and world cup final in the near future. (even if Edmonton hadn't hosted 2001, or Montreal hadn't hosted 2005, there's still no way somewhere like Halifax would have won such a championship)

The only sporting event that these cities have a realistic chance of landing is the commonwealth games. York wasn't a proper Toronto bid, it was like a suburb of London (eg. Hammersmith or Hounslow) bidding for the commonwealth games. Then all of a sudden half way into the process they said "oh no- we can't cope" and tried to turn it into a full-blown Toronto bid.

The CG's are past there sell-by-date in Canada as Manchester 2002 had very low viewing figures, CBC didn't want to broadcast Melbourne 206, but is only now doing so because Melbourne 2006's organisers practically got down on their hands and knees and begged CBC to broadcast the games, not to mention they gave the games to CBC for practically free.

It's no suprise really.

York region, Hamilton, Halifax and Ottawa only showed interest because they know that they have practically no chance of hosting things like the summer olympics, world athletics championships, world swimming championships and world cup final in the near future. (even if Edmonton hadn't hosted 2001, or Montreal hadn't hosted 2005, there's still no way somewhere like Halifax would have won such a championship)

The only sporting event that these cities have a realistic chance of landing is the commonwealth games. York wasn't a proper Toronto bid, it was like a suburb of London (eg. Hammersmith or Hounslow) bidding for the commonwealth games. Then all of a sudden half way into the process they said "oh no- we can't cope" and tried to turn it into a full-blown Toronto bid.

The CG's are past there sell-by-date in Canada as Manchester 2002 had very low viewing figures, CBC didn't want to broadcast Melbourne 206, but is only now doing so because Melbourne 2006's organisers practically got down on their hands and knees and begged CBC to broadcast the games, not to mention they gave the games to CBC for practically free.

So? That's the point. The Commonwealth Games gives cities that don't have a chance of the Olympics something that they can strive for. Nobody forces any city to bid for them, so obviously there is some attraction for the like to want to host them.

How many times do I have to reiterate it _ YES, WE ALL KNOW THE COMMONWEALTH GAMES AREN'T THE SAME BIG DEAL AS OLYMPICS OR WORLD CUP. NOBODY HAS EVER SAID THEY WERE. But considering the amount of interest they generate, the bids they attract to stage them, the interest they get on this board (it's own separate forum) they aren't the non-event you try to make out.

If a city of the global calibre of Melbourne is hosting them, then they must be of some significance.

I diasgree. Melbourne has only showed interest in the commonwealth games when they've known the olympics have been out of reach. The bid for 1974 would have been devised during the mid-late 1960's when it was only 10-15 years since Melbourne hosted 1956.

The bid for 2006 came after Sydney was awarded 2000, so again it will be a long while until Melbourne hosts the olympic.

Notice how they didn't bid for 1998 (and challenge Adelaide for the candidacy), probably because they thought they had a chance for a 2000 olympic bid.

Anyway if we're talking about cities with global caliber- then proper examples are London, NYC, Tokyo, Berlin, Paris, Rome, Hong Kong.

Perhaps a Halifax games would encourage a revival of interest in the Commonwealth Games in Canada.

Even though my city rejected the idea to bid for them because of cost, the thought overall is not a bad idea. Despite the size of Calgary and its potential, it has a long way to go in terms of proper summer sports venues. Like, I hate to say it, but even "small city" Victoria, for 1994, has way better such venues than Calgary right now. To me, this is got to be a major embarrassment.

Perhaps a Halifax games would encourage a revival of interest in the Commonwealth Games in Canada.

I agree, for the commonwealth games ideal to survive in Canada, Halifax must win 2014. Correct.

The reason being that I doubt whether New Delhi would give CBC (or another Canadian TV channel) the commonwealth games at a knock-down price like Melbourne has done.

No 2010 commonwealth games coverage in Canada, followed by a 2nd consecutive Canadian city losing a commonwealth games bid, would be bad news for Canadian commonwealth games fans.

On the contrary, if Halifax wins 2014, then interest in the games would return, and CBC probably would buy the TV rights for 2010, and there would be more TV coverage then the ~ 1 hour nightly highlights programme that will be M2006.

YES, WE ALL KNOW THE COMMONWEALTH GAMES AREN'T THE SAME BIG DEAL AS OLYMPICS OR WORLD CUP. NOBODY HAS EVER SAID THEY WERE.

Yes, I know that no-one on this forum has said that. That's why I've not directly criticised any forum member in commonwealth games discussion threads.

My critiscism has been directed specifically towards Ron Walker's comments and the comments of Glasgow's 2014 commonwealth bid team.

So, now that Nova Scotia has a new premier, would this have any effect on Halifax's bid for the 2014 CG?

Nova Scotia's premier-designate, the Honourable Rodney MacDonald, is a big supporter of Halifax's Commonwealth Games bid. He will be sworn in next week as Premier of Nova Scotia...til then he is Minister of Tourism, Culture & Heritage as well as Minister Responsible for Health Promotion and Immigration. You probaby couldn't find a politician in Nova Scotia more devoted to sport and culture: before Rodney MacDonald got into politics, he was a gym teacher and fiddler.

Nova Scotia's premier-designate, the Honourable Rodney MacDonald, is a big supporter of Halifax's Commonwealth Games bid. He will be sworn in next week as Premier of Nova Scotia...til then he is Minister of Tourism, Culture & Heritage as well as Minister Responsible for Health Promotion and Immigration. You probaby couldn't find a politician in Nova Scotia more devoted to sport and culture: before Rodney MacDonald got into politics, he was a gym teacher and fiddler.

Welcome to these forums, Klee Wyck.  :)

With the Commonwealth Games going to places like Melbourne and Delhi, some people within the CGF may like a break from just having big cities hosting them. However, as it has been discussed before, the CG is at the "fork in the road" on how and where the CGF's direction will be for future CGs.

Archived