Halifax 2014 - Canadian CG bid race

mr.x

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:) Seen it... Shows a city that will give it a go, but not really confident of winning the Canadian nomination.

Unlike Hamilton, dosen't show venues or the sites that would be needed etc...

• 1 month later...
Guess I was wrong big time. It will be interesting now, if the CGF would go "back to basics" with a small city instead of big ones. Who knows. It could be like the last Canadian host city of the Commonwealth Games: Victoria, BC, for 1994.

Those website moderators did not waste time putting this news in their website. On the frontpage, they had the "winner stamp" on it.

As for its potential, I think it will be a first time in a while that the Maritime area of Canada has hosted an international sporting event/match. I know that the general area hosted some FIFA matches some time ago.

Of course, I can't forget Halifax's hosting of the 1995 G7/G8 Summit, too.

Guess I was wrong big time. It will be interesting now, if the CGF would go "back to basics" with a small city instead of big ones. Who knows. It could be like the last Canadian host city of the Commonwealth Games: Victoria, BC, for 1994.

I think unlikely they will go back to basics though. After big/ expensive games like KL 1998, Mel 2006, New Delhi 2010, they CGF may not want to go back to small cities, unknown cities, which have small, basic games and facilties on offer.

Victoria won 1994, on the back of Edinburgh 1986, Brisbane 82, Edmonton 78, Christchurch 74. Edinburgh 1970. These games were not to the level of the games held in 1998, 2006 and 2010. I've not mentioned Auckland 1990 because the decision to give Victoria the 1990 games would have been made before Auckland had hosted.

The CG's have now moved to a new level, now that the CGF has experienced bigger cities and bigger facilties, it is unlikely they will want to do a full circle and go to Halifax.

It's between Glasgow and Abuja.

Abuja is going to win - the Africans and Asians have more votes

Halifax is not some second-rate town - its 5x the size of Victoria, Halifax is 350,000 whereasa victoria is 75,000

Halifax is a beautiful city that can offer a lot, especially with a country like Canada behind it. With the commonwealth games Halifax could become a major sports hub in Canada for more than just kayaking and canoeing.

Halifax is not some second-rate town - its 5x the size of Victoria, Halifax is 350,000 whereasa victoria is 75,000

Halifax is a beautiful city that can offer a lot, especially with a country like Canada behind it. With the commonwealth games Halifax could become a major sports hub in Canada for more than just kayaking and canoeing.

I am aware of this, everybody knows that Canadian cities have a lot to offer, and Halifax is no exception. Victoria, the 1994 is a nice scenic place, with grand buildings and those gardens. The boat rides from Vancouver are spectacular.

But it's not as simple as that. The point is that, Halifax does not mean much on the world stage, it is not have the status to lure CGF voters away from awarding a first games to Africa, or a major well-established British city like Glasgow.

But I do agree that cities like Halifax should be awarded the CG, they have more to benefit from them compared to larger, more established cities.

The CG's have now moved to a new level, now that the CGF has experienced bigger cities and bigger facilties, it is unlikely they will want to do a full circle and go to Halifax.

:) ...And even then, Abuja stands a better chance as YET another UK city is queueing up with YET another Canadian city as well.

As we still have another year to run before final cut off, here's hoping for a couple of other bids, ie Singapore and the West Indies.

Go Haligonians go!!

I always wanted to say that.  Halifax should play its 'Titanic' card.  Salzburg has its "SOUND OF MUSIC" connection; Halifax should do the TITANIC one.  Other than Belfast, I don't see how other cities can beat that.

If you want Haligonian history, one tragedy occurred in the city that nearly "wiped it out."

I think unlikely they will go back to basics though. After big/ expensive games like KL 1998, Mel 2006, New Delhi 2010, they CGF may not want to go back to small cities, unknown cities, which have small, basic games and facilties on offer.

Victoria won 1994, on the back of Edinburgh 1986, Brisbane 82, Edmonton 78, Christchurch 74. Edinburgh 1970. These games were not to the level of the games held in 1998, 2006 and 2010. I've not mentioned Auckland 1990 because the decision to give Victoria the 1990 games would have been made before Auckland had hosted.

If this is going to be the case, then the CGF is going to have to see how the IOC deals with this question. With the IOC here, it is already starting to become a problem.

Go Haligonians go!!

I always wanted to say that.  Halifax should play its 'Titanic' card.  Salzburg has its "SOUND OF MUSIC" connection; Halifax should do the TITANIC one.  Other than Belfast, I don't see how other cities can beat that.

If you want Haligonian history, one tragedy occurred in the city that nearly "wiped it out."

:( Was that the one when that ship exploded at the start of the last century? Wiped out most of the city? I think that was Halifax?

:help:

Go Haligonians go!!

:( Was that the one when that ship exploded at the start of the last century? Wiped out most of the city? I think that was Halifax?

:help:

Yep. It was the largest man-made explosion of all time before the atom bomb during the time of WWI.

So.....

It looks as if the decision to put forward Halifax as the 2014 canadian candidate was made a long time ago.

So in effect, bids from Hamilton, ottawa and York region were simply there to make up numbers, when infact the Canadian commonwealth association were going to pick Halifax anyway, regardless. What a waste of time and effort from the other 3 bids.

I feel sorry for Ontario and sports bids- it seems that this time of thing is frequently  happening to them:

-Toronto 2008 olympic bid- this was a dead race as soon as beijing annouced it's candidacy. The IOC had clearly made their mind up a long time before the summer 2001 vote in Moscow, that they were going to award the games to China.

Hamilton 2010- no doubt African and Asian CGF members ganged up on Hamilton.

Hamilton 2014- the decision to pick Halifax was made a long time ago

No they're not pointless. Though they do not necessarily provide the same level of sporting competition as some events, they are an important stepping stone for athletes working their way to the highest level. Audley Harrison springs to mind.

Plus, cities which host the Commonwealths have the opportunity to put themselves on the world stage. Manchester did it. Other cities should have the same chance.

:( Hence my topic in this Commonwealth Games thread - Are they becomming pointless. ???

The very fact that the Commonwealth games is one of the four major events that gets discussed here (along with the Summer and Winter olympics and the FIFA WC) shows that they're certainly not pointless. They may not be an eloite comp, but they do have a certain charm of their own.

for some reason i don't think Abuja is going to win - the African nations have the memories of the All African Games that resulted in a few mishaps and the quality of the event was quite subpar to what other African cities had offered before and will offer after. If it was Lagos than that would be another story, also Nigeria is not a stable nation, not by a long shot. I could see the Africans saying, well they didn't come through last time, so why would they this time, give it to another city and Cape Town you better bid in 2018.

Archived