Halifax 2014 - Canadian CG bid race

mr.x

WOW how about some more money from the FEDs . ROTFLMAO. They can organize all they like but the feds are not giving them more money then they did for Vancouver 2010. The Stephen Harper Tories have played this to political perfection . enough to make the local population feel good and enough to hang the city and province out to dry. The AXe will come with city council at the end of march. Bye Bye commonwealth games it was nice knowing yeah and wasting 6 million of city and provincial money. LOL.

jim jones

Organizing? Sounds like cattle.

enough to make the local population feel good and enough to hang the city and province out to dry. perfectly said Jim.

SH played them like a fiddle and no HRM citycouncil/ BID TEAM that is not the same as FIDDLEFADDLE you buy in a box with caramel.

End of March? I was thinking May to make it look like they were pensive thought. You know-for dramatic effect purposes.

Well last I heard the sewer plant is getting the money over time. So does that mean the money thought to be for the GAMES is going down the drain LMAO.

6 million ? that is shameful tsk tsk

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is not an event that the developing world has any talent in . When the cattle call of the commonwealth games comes it does not include anyone with world class status in kayaking or canoeing except canada, maybe australia and new zealand. International sports festival rules state you have to be able to field more then just 3 entry countries.

Again it shows the divide between us ad the commonwealth. Atleast the Pan Am games you can have an competition that is inside the olympic program and have some good world match ups within the americas. Soccer, basketball ,baseball , sailing , rowing, athletics, aquatics and a host of other olympics program sports in the Pan Am games list have some world class competition .

Canada vs the commonwealth in kayak would be a sweep of the medals for canada. Canada vs the US in the Pan am games would be very different.

I am not surprized at all Banook would not have involvement. It is a sign that the local people really play a minor consideration in the process but will be the one to pick up the bills for venues that are alien sports on these shores.

Jim jones

Sorry Jim it was the way I said it..I am thinking more generally about not using our natural resources period. I wonder if HRM/BID even know what a natural resource is ? I know they are full of gas but that doesn't count ;)

Cattle call ? We are on the same page but why do we both think about cattle when we are talking BIDTEAM HRM?

I agree with what you said about the disconnect of talent that is and is not world wide.

Organizing? Sounds like cattle.

enough to make the local population feel good and enough to hang the city and province out to dry. perfectly said Jim.

SH played them like a fiddle and no HRM citycouncil/ BID TEAM that is not the same as FIDDLEFADDLE you buy in a box with caramel.

End of March? I was thinking May to make it look like they were pensive thought. You know-for dramatic effect purposes.

Well last I heard the sewer plant is getting the money over time. So does that mean the money thought to be for the GAMES is going down the drain LMAO.

6 million ? that is shameful tsk tsk

March 20 th is the vote on the bid funding for the city. I say they pull out. The Feds cards are on the table. Vanoc was lucky to get 55 million additional in funding for cost overruns for a project underway. Harper and Flaterney were masterful at now having Vancouver not back to the table in the next 3 years. The up to 400 million with that not exceeding a 33 percent share ensures that the games will not be funded to the level the province and city can afford.

It is cut or run for the local politicians and they will run . When you have councillors attending HRM home owners association meeting and the mayor having an audience with the same body yesterday the feelers are out to the public.

The local politicians knpw what harpers game is and they really can't complain because Harpers offer was 150 million dollars more the Chretians offer to hamilton for 2010. The offer is about half of what the province and the city would need to be able to afford the games without massive tax increases. The funny thing is Pro-games people dont seem to get that the city and province dont have the money to fund their shares at 785 million dollars.

jim jones

March 20 th is the vote on the bid funding for the city. I say they pull out. The Feds cards are on the table. Vanoc was lucky to get 55 million additional in funding for cost overruns for a project underway. Harper and Flaterney were masterful at now having Vancouver not back to the table in the next 3 years. The up to 400 million with that not exceeding a 33 percent share ensures that the games will not be funded to the level the province and city can afford.

It is cut or run for the local politicians and they will run . When you have councillors attending HRM home owners association meeting and the mayor having an audience with the same body yesterday the feelers are out to the public.

The local politicians knpw what harpers game is and they really can't complain because Harpers offer was 150 million dollars more the Chretians offer to hamilton for 2010. The offer is about half of what the province and the city would need to be able to afford the games without massive tax increases. The funny thing is Pro-games people dont seem to get that the city and province dont have the money to fund their shares at 785 million dollars.

jim jones

How predictable the Jones and Outraged tag team..... what a joke. You guys are such a joke on this forum you do realize that don't you.

jim jones

Jim, I will yield to your expertise on this. I want to say they will pull out too but I know that is the smart thing to do and being smart is not a word I would use in the same sentence as those that are nothing more than lost sheep baaaaaaaaa.

Because it was their ego and not their collective brain ( you would think among them there would be half of a brain at least) that put in the bid in the first place it is unpredictable.

EGO is a nasty master to serve if held by unhealthy unethical persons, in posses like the city council or BIDTEAM well that is just plain dangerous on its own. EGO in itself is not unhealthy, we have healthy ones too and they would be the ones that recognize their limitations with maturity. Unhealthy ones are epidemic in NS, you find them by the trail of victims they leave behind.

I have been involved in other socio-poli issues things that have Flaherty's attention and not once have I heard him say anything about finding funds for the GAMES. It is BID-NON-GRATA.

The need to have those meetings in publichousing and the Prestons and northend HFX and DART and see what response they get and that is just in HRM. Then go to each Native reservation (MILLBROOK) here and in CB (ESKASONI, MEMBERTOU) and along the way stop at every poor feast/famine community and ask them too. Make sure they stop at the Tarpits.

Pro-games people dont seem to get that the city and province dont have the money to fund their shares at 785 million dollars.

I think it is safe to say that they are suffering from grandiose delusions. The NS govt hasn't 'gotten it' for a long time. It is time to wake them up out of that crack haze they got going on.

http://www.acpd.ca/pdf/prebudgetreport_2006.pdf

Jim et al....speaking of the FEDS and money as you can see from the enclosed weblink the final final report FINANCE COMMITTEE / Flaherty have not discussed any monies for GAMES at all. In fact the report implies at strong commitment to be responsible with spending working within a CDN peoples' participatory framework.

That would inherently exclude feeding the EGO of HRM -CityC and the BIDTEAM.

There were great presentations from all parts of the country and I am very pleased as a community advocate that several of my recommendations directly and indirectly were referenced in particularly having standard hiring/training/education levels for all govt: employed or elected. ;))

That should help get rid of some of the riffraff....this is not to be interpreted that education levels have a linear or inverted relationship with corruption.

Education is believed to be a measure of civility, in turn, morality-idealistic at best.

In reality: corruption/unethical practices do not care who wear them as long as they are worn well.

ps. Not too shabby for someone accused of being insane and without credibility. LMAO

A poll done in November/December:

Strong Support For Commonwealth Games Across The Province of NS

HALIFAX: Nearly eight-in-ten Nova Scotians strongly (38%) or mostly (39%) support Halifax hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2014 according to a recent survey of residents in the province undertaken by Corporate Research Associates Inc. as part of its Atlantic Quarterly.

Support for the Games in Halifax is strong across the province, with the highest level of support recorded in Cape Breton (81%), followed by the rest of mainland Nova Scotia (79%) and Metro (72%). Among those supporting the Commonwealth Games, 59 percent cite the economic benefits associated with the games as the main reason for their support, followed by 40 percent who mention the increased profile of Halifax and Nova Scotia as the reason for their support. Among the small number in opposition (18%), the main reasons cited for such opposition is related to concerns over the costs of the Games or the opinion that the money could be better spent elsewhere.

“Clearly, Nova Scotians are solidly behind Halifax’s bid for the 2014 Games and recognize the significant economic benefits that will accrue to the entire province,” according to Don Mills, President & CEO, Corporate Research Associates Inc. “It is particularly interesting to note the strong support from all parts of the province for the Games.”

Support is strongest among those most likely to benefit the longest from the Games, that is, those aged 18-34 (89%) and weakest among those less likely to benefit from the long-term benefits, that is, those aged 55 years or more (61%).

These results are part of the CRA Atlantic Quarterly, an independent survey of Atlantic Canadians, and are based on a sample of 411 adult Nova Scotians, conducted between November 9 and December 4, 2006. The results are considered accurate with + 4.8 percentage points, 95 out of 100 times.

And on a note about that article, I do believe that the reason it seems higher than many think it should be is because the Naysaying crowd are usually much more vocal than supporters. And that isnt just limited to these games, but other issues in the city and province as well.

And on a note about that article, I do believe that the reason it seems higher than many think it should be is because the Naysaying crowd are usually much more vocal than supporters. And that isnt just limited to these games, but other issues in the city and province as well.

Its a cherry picked bullsh@# poll . Don Mills has absolutely no credibility whatsoever when he is a regular op ed writer in favor of the games. You could have bruce devenne with a polling organization too and the bias would still show thru. Just as bad as mills conflict of interest that problaby has him micro target the audience that would responds in favour of his preferance.

The funny thing is the numbers are down and importantly in Metro before a council presentation of the games committee budget at the beginning of march and a vote on march the 20th. Rodney Mac Donald has been given the word from Stephen harper . IT is your baby nova scotia. No extra ordinary funding for the games and thus we wait to see who blinks first Rodney MacDonald or Peter Kelly. The federal and provincial tories are wanting for Kelly and company to pull the plug. that wway they dont get their hand politicially dirty.

Considering the mayor had a meeting with the home owners association and councillors are now attending that bodies meetings with Bruce Devenne in attendance listening to what is being said the bid is being killed by paper cuts. right now we are at 800 paper cuts . only 200 to go. LOL

jim jones

http://www.acpd.ca/pdf/prebudgetreport_2006.pdf

Jim et al....speaking of the FEDS and money as you can see from the enclosed weblink the final final report FINANCE COMMITTEE / Flaherty have not discussed any monies for GAMES at all. In fact the report implies at strong commitment to be responsible with spending working within a CDN peoples' participatory framework.

That would inherently exclude feeding the EGO of HRM -CityC and the BIDTEAM.

There were great presentations from all parts of the country and I am very pleased as a community advocate that several of my recommendations directly and indirectly were referenced in particularly having standard hiring/training/education levels for all govt: employed or elected. ;))

That should help get rid of some of the riffraff....this is not to be interpreted that education levels have a linear or inverted relationship with corruption.

Education is believed to be a measure of civility, in turn, morality-idealistic at best.

In reality: corruption/unethical practices do not care who wear them as long as they are worn well.

ps. Not too shabby for someone accused of being insane and without credibility. LMAO

Not bad at all , show your research skills as these pro halifax commonwealth games people are like vampires. They prefer to not see the light of day because it weakens their arguement. Yes Don mills and his group should really go and borrow some salvation army kettles ad stand outside the liquor commissions begging for donations like they are having unwilling public servants do on the inside on behave of the commonDEBT games.

I had to laff because that is how desperate these people are.

jim jones

Thank you for that disclaimer WB I was about to post that. 411 would never pass the external validity test needed to be legitmate stat worthy of any significant information.

The populations chosen for this type of count should always be suspect.

I bet if they sent a questionaire to each Community Service recipient in NS (over 62,000) if they would like the money to go to GAMES or to an increase in their grocery allowance they would probably get a 95% return on that questionaire with the stamp paid out of their grocery money.

Care to guess what the majority answer would be?

case closed

It was told to me a long time ago by a very smart Dalhousie research professor that quantitative studies set out to prove their hypothesis therefore contaminate their own findings- they find exactly what they were looking for. Any self respecting researcher does not use this type of research methodology. ;)

DON MILLs aint he the place in ONTARIO ? LOL

Its a cherry picked bullsh@# poll . Don Mills has absolutely no credibility whatsoever when he is a regular op ed writer in favor of the games. You could have bruce devenne with a polling organization too and the bias would still show thru. Just as bad as mills conflict of interest that problaby has him micro target the audience that would responds in favour of his preferance.

The funny thing is the numbers are down and importantly in Metro before a council presentation of the games committee budget at the beginning of march and a vote on march the 20th. Rodney Mac Donald has been given the word from Stephen harper . IT is your baby nova scotia. No extra ordinary funding for the games and thus we wait to see who blinks first Rodney MacDonald or Peter Kelly. The federal and provincial tories are wanting for Kelly and company to pull the plug. that wway they dont get their hand politicially dirty.

Considering the mayor had a meeting with the home owners association and councillors are now attending that bodies meetings with Bruce Devenne in attendance listening to what is being said the bid is being killed by paper cuts. right now we are at 800 paper cuts . only 200 to go. LOL

jim jones

Jim if there are any public meetings against the GAMES can you let me know I will be there GLADLY!

Hey Jim we should do our own bidding now: who will blink first : Roddie or Petey? I am putting my quarter on Petey !!!!

Regardless of who wins we will send the money to the BIDTEAM as a gesture of goodwill ...LOL

Glad to see I am not the only one that laughed at that report..I wonder how much was paid out for that consultation?

I go to NS COURT fo APPEALS in 3 weeks for medical supplies on a government constitutional violation-they are paying AG office lawyer and I as usual can only afford to pay myself. I am sure that money could have paid for all my medical supplies for a long time.

All I can do is shake my head...for now......clock is ticking....soon it will be all over but the crying....

Not bad at all , show your research skills as these pro halifax commonwealth games people are like vampires. They prefer to not see the light of day because it weakens their arguement. Yes Don mills and his group should really go and borrow some salvation army kettles ad stand outside the liquor commissions begging for donations like they are having unwilling public servants do on the inside on behave of the commonDEBT games.

I had to laff because that is how desperate these people are.

jim jones

Why thank you Jim.

I hope they get the point the world is bigger than NS. I get the feeling they think it is the size of the globe they stared at in grade eight. Love your vampire analogy so true they cannot stand the light, I would think them more like cochroaches- they are so unevolved and curry in the light. Darwin must be turning over.

Yanno I think you just gave them an idea if I start seeing them outside the NSLC I will know where they got the idea from LOL.....Jim if you put even nickle in their basket......

Being they should have to earn the money I expect them all to be singing ........a tisket a tasket a quarter for our CWG basket....LMAO

I would give them my quarter but I already spent it on Polite Petey!

You think the public servants are unwilling? You have more faith in them than I do. I know many of them should be using the WHISTLEBLOWING legislation and they choose not to. That is all I need to know about civil servants in NS. Then add NSGEU JOAN JESSOME and there is the rest of that problem in many offices.

Here's Devenne's announced group

www.committeetostopthegames.com

Say mikey is that your Website . very funny stuff. Pancakes and so on . Reminds me of the Kansas city anti stadium site "Save our Owners" of course that anti stadium

campaign failed and the Lamar hunt is getting public money for stadium renovations of arrowhead stadium.

jim jones

Say mikey is that your Website . very funny stuff. Pancakes and so on . Reminds me of the Kansas city anti stadium site "Save our Owners" of course that anti stadium

campaign failed and the Lamar hunt is getting public money for stadium renovations of arrowhead stadium.

jim jones

Did you shower when you came back here Jim or did you wear protection when you went 'visting?. I would not take my chances. ;))

A poll done in November/December:

Strong Support For Commonwealth Games Across The Province of NS

HALIFAX: Nearly eight-in-ten Nova Scotians strongly (38%) or mostly (39%) support Halifax hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2014 according to a recent survey of residents in the province undertaken by Corporate Research Associates Inc. as part of its Atlantic Quarterly.

Support for the Games in Halifax is strong across the province, with the highest level of support recorded in Cape Breton (81%), followed by the rest of mainland Nova Scotia (79%) and Metro (72%). Among those supporting the Commonwealth Games, 59 percent cite the economic benefits associated with the games as the main reason for their support, followed by 40 percent who mention the increased profile of Halifax and Nova Scotia as the reason for their support. Among the small number in opposition (18%), the main reasons cited for such opposition is related to concerns over the costs of the Games or the opinion that the money could be better spent elsewhere.

“Clearly, Nova Scotians are solidly behind Halifax’s bid for the 2014 Games and recognize the significant economic benefits that will accrue to the entire province,” according to Don Mills, President & CEO, Corporate Research Associates Inc. “It is particularly interesting to note the strong support from all parts of the province for the Games.”

Support is strongest among those most likely to benefit the longest from the Games, that is, those aged 18-34 (89%) and weakest among those less likely to benefit from the long-term benefits, that is, those aged 55 years or more (61%).

These results are part of the CRA Atlantic Quarterly, an independent survey of Atlantic Canadians, and are based on a sample of 411 adult Nova Scotians, conducted between November 9 and December 4, 2006. The results are considered accurate with + 4.8 percentage points, 95 out of 100 times.

Sorry guys, just a change on this that I found out, the poll was actually conducted between Feb 1st and 7th, so its much more recent than I initially posted.

Sorry guys, just a change on this that I found out, the poll was actually conducted between Feb 1st and 7th, so its much more recent than I initially posted.

So in other words the sample interviewed was a smaller number then the prior poll . The sample was 400 people this time compared with the 500 interviewed in November.

The poll was prior the following news stories regarding the games

1. Rick Howe /CTV report which reported from a source inside the games committee that the games would cost between 1.3 and 1,6 billion dollars in todays value and would probably exceed 2 billion by 2014.

2. The announcement of the salaries and travel expenses with Scott Logan making over 150,000 dollars .

3. Scott Logan's admission that the costs for the games would indeed be higher then the 785 million the committee has been selling to the public for a year.

3. The announcement of the rooster of sports that does not include Padalling or rowing events which are of huge interest and infrastructure in the HRM.

4. HRM Councillor Sue Uteck, A very pro games supporter, saying there was a limit and a point that the plug would be pulled.

5. The Premier panhandling for more money and complaining how it was not enough from Ottawa.

6. The story of the Liquor Commission compelling their Employees to ask for a donation to the Commonwealth Games.

7. The Kings North PC riding association forwarding a motion for the province to end the bid for the commonwealth games at PC Annual general meeting.

Hard to believe all this bad news has been in the space of two weeks for the commonwealth games committee in Halifax.

With that going on the next poll will have a sample of 300 people and they will be lucky to find 65 percent of people in favor of the games. Don Mills and company are looking for the respondants that fit their purposes . Have they called you wishblade, yes halifax and joe howe ????

The Revelations keep coming and we are looking at the revealing of the games budget behind closed doors in the HRM council about March 7th. That will add fuel to the anti games side and no doubt have the council under great pressure to abandon the bid. with 13 days between March 7th and the vote on the budget it gives plenty of time for a great deal of bad news for the pro games side.

jim jones

So in other words the sample interviewed was a smaller number then the prior poll . The sample was 400 people this time compared with the 500 interviewed in November.

The poll was prior the following news stories regarding the games

1. Rick Howe /CTV report which reported from a source inside the games committee that the games would cost between 1.3 and 1,6 billion dollars in todays value and would probably exceed 2 billion by 2014.

2. The announcement of the salaries and travel expenses with Scott Logan making over 150,000 dollars .

3. Scott Logan's admission that the costs for the games would indeed be higher then the 785 million the committee has been selling to the public for a year.

3. The announcement of the rooster of sports that does not include Padalling or rowing events which are of huge interest and infrastructure in the HRM.

4. HRM Councillor Sue Uteck, A very pro games supporter, saying there was a limit and a point that the plug would be pulled.

5. The Premier panhandling for more money and complaining how it was not enough from Ottawa.

6. The story of the Liquor Commission compelling their Employees to ask for a donation to the Commonwealth Games.

7. The Kings North PC riding association forwarding a motion for the province to end the bid for the commonwealth games at PC Annual general meeting.

Hard to believe all this bad news has been in the space of two weeks for the commonwealth games committee in Halifax.

With that going on the next poll will have a sample of 300 people and they will be lucky to find 65 percent of people in favor of the games. Don Mills and company are looking for the respondants that fit their purposes . Have they called you wishblade, yes halifax and joe howe ????

The Revelations keep coming and we are looking at the revealing of the games budget behind closed doors in the HRM council about March 7th. That will add fuel to the anti games side and no doubt have the council under great pressure to abandon the bid. with 13 days between March 7th and the vote on the budget it gives plenty of time for a great deal of bad news for the pro games side.

jim jones

I dunno how experienced you are with statistics, but sample sizes of 400 and 500 don't make a huge difference.

1. Some mysterious source? Did this "big source" feel strongly enough about this predicament to resign? I guess not since you probably would have mentioned it.

2. His salary's $150,000? So what? Everyone on the bid had their salaries matched when they were recruited. You want the best, you pay for it. Regarding travel expenses, all flights were coach, unless the flight was over 12 hours, or something like that. Seems entirely reasonable to me, and I'm sure it will to everyone else too.

3. a billion instead of $785M? I can live with that. Projected revenue is still higher, not to mention multipler effects from an influx of so much federal funding.

3. (I dunno why you put "3" twice... or what a "rooster of sports" is) Rowing and paddling aren't popular anywhere else in the commonwealth. In a dogfight over the games between us, Scotland, and Nigeria, you might have to make a sacrifice or two in order to get the member nations' votes.

4. That HRM counciller is still a supporter it seems, and OF COURSE there's a point when the games become too expensive, but it appears she doesn't think we've reached it yet, supporter as she is.

5. Premier's always panhandle for money. That's what they do.

6. I dunno if you have any corporate experience, but head office decides company policy. I'd hardly call that "compelling". I also heard cashiers in grocery stores are "compelled" to say "hello" to a customer. Quite the scandal.

7. The The Kings North PC riding association has no standing in the legislature. If this motion has so much support, why wouldn't the MP/MPP endorse it himself? And even if he did, who's to say it has anything to do with the games? He/she could just be trying to sell voters on how he's getting "tough on spending". They do it all the time.

Plus I've been reading in column after column in Halifax newspapers about the integrity of the bid committee and how it's in such good hands, and the only place i hear serious (read: persistent, not formidable) opposition to the is from 2 or 3 members of this forum. I know they're loud and like to think they've got it all figured out, but keep using your heads and make up your own minds.

Bring on the games, we'll do 'em proud.

No worries WB: the study still does not have any external validity : 411 out of how many in NS? Not even a sample representation even if randam sampled.

Thanks for posting, good to see what tricks they have going on.

snipped for reading and space

Plus I've been reading in column after column in Halifax newspapers about the integrity of the bid committee and how it's in such good hands, and the only place i hear serious (read: persistent, not formidable) opposition to the is from 2 or 3 members of this forum. I know they're loud and like to think they've got it all figured out, but keep using your heads and make up your own minds.

Bring on the games, we'll do 'em proud.

I hate to use an old cliche but your post compells me: 'don't believe every thing you read'.

You obviously missed the posts that talk about how corrupt the newspapers are: so you are reading corrupt columns about a corrupt BIDTEAM about a corrupt bidding offer?

GOOD JOB!

I've been studying econometrics and statistics for a few years now, and I can assure you, a sample size consisting of 400 randomly selected individuals will reflect accurate findings of the entire province to within a couple percentage points.

But wait, i better be careful what i'm reading in my text books............. everything's been corrupted, apparently. Maybe aliens from outer space are running the bid, we all know how corrupt they can get.... those rascally aliens.

No worries WB: the study still does not have any external validity : 411 out of how many in NS? Not even a sample representation even if randam sampled.

Thanks for posting, good to see what tricks they have going on.

Just to comment on this since I have quite a bit of expertise in statistics...

If the poll was conducted among 400 people the margin of error would be 5% so the "real" results (if the entire population was surveyed) would be between 75% and 85%.

It just doesn't matter how many people are in N.S. - 1 million, 10 million or 100 million - this random sampling is sufficient and accurate within that margin of error. And that's a mathematical fact.

Archived