Halifax 2014 - Canadian CG bid race

mr.x

What a bunch of B.S...bankrupt from the Canada games are you for really! don't make me laugh.

This can only help in the CWG's bid and make are prospects of winning stronger. You're really grasping at straws aren't you. Pretty sad!

What will you do when Halifax wins the bid outraged ? what will you do?

As not to encourage your 'whatever it is' you have I will refrain from posting to you. I type this only because I didnot want you to miscontrue my silence toward you and yours.

But I will leave you this little math help: when a province in operating in the red for so long and continues to cut necessary funding to necessary service with no future of having it alleviated.....well you figure out the rest.

I for one think until we have a police department in HRM and a justice department in NS we should not misspend the money on trivial things.

I would like to say its been a pleasure but I would be mistaken for working for NG government ......a bold faced liar.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gee I would agree with you on the first point that the Canada games would hardly bankrupt the province or city but the second point WILL

In the Clayton Park area outside the Halifax Commonwealth Games bid area for venues. Why are you pro-games people not building that facility in Shannon Park and using the Canada games field house for the commonwealth games bid??? The reason is very simple the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and does not wish to share resources towards their collective goals. That has always been a problem in the HRM forever and shows the inept thinking surrounding the HRM and province house.

With Scott Logan's salary now in the open as twice the amount of the one man school board Howard Windsor in Halifax the general thought that these games are far from sensible in approach grows . Howard Windsor will handle more in a HRM education Budget then the 14 million dollars the commonwealth games bid is worth and the bid budget is twice as much as Hamilton 2010 which is mind blowing. These glaring facts show that we are in for a giant surprize if we were to be unfortunate to actually be awarded the CWGs.

So WILL ,AKA Yes Halifax, Bruce Devenne has told me you still haven't accepted the invitation by rick howe to debate the commonwealth games on the rick howe show on Tuesday. Whats the problem the committee WILL not let you come out to play???

If you are so in favor of these games you would have automatically said yes to Rick Howe but hey I understand you are afraid of the CJCH Hotline person of the year Bruce Devenne LOL.

I have to wonder why you were not nominated After all you are the big deal business guy aren't you who graces the show with pro-games propaganda , based in airy fairy concepts to try to snow the public which has been the same tactic for generations pro-sports festivals elements use. Your on the Rick Howe show with the commonwealth games fairy tails as Devenne is on the line with actual facts LOL. That is why Devenne gets voted by overwhelming numbers the CJCH hotline person of the year over Gloria Mac Cluskey, Fred Mac Gillirvay , and Premier Rodney Mac Donald.

WILL do you have to get permission from your handlers the Halifax commonwealth games bid committee???? And Why does Rick have to ask a bum boy to represent the pro games side? Scott Logan and company know that the truth is on the anti-games side backed up by history??? The Committee is Chicken not only

with the Rick Howe show and debating against Anti-games people there but also in other HRM bodies that have requested committee representatives to debate Devenne and company. They know their possible arguements don't hold water against decades of documented third party historic facts.

Yes I can hear it now WILL , Rick and Bruce playing the modern version of the Three Stooges . You know WILL would be Curley the stooge that will be constantly wacked in the head with hammer of historical fact from Moe , played by Bruce Devenne , the stooge who wacked Larry and Curley constantly ROTFLMAO.

IF you really want the games why didn't you buy some of David Hensbee's bonds he wants to issue to pay for the games? I hear they are going like hotcakes like the scratch tickets and the special addition keith's beer ROTFLMAO @ WILL.

Jim jones

Intersting post Jim....supports my points, both of them ... for clarifictaion my use of BANKRUPT is meant to reflect that reality of misspending, services cuts, increased poverty and deficits, not the legal act of bankruptcy.

and Jim I LOVE THE THREE STOOGES :please do not insult them again .....LOL

oh what I could tell you about Hensbee.....

Jim, I was thinking.....one need not look any further than these threads to see the level of intelligence and education in the PROGAMES gallery is embarassing low...a great argument that monies should be allocated back to education and resources in NS instead of the GAMES.

Does Rick Howe know about this board: he should get peek on the one sided debate here.....I almost feel sorry for the PROGAMES....almost I said...LOL

It is like an unfair fight Jim...

please let us know when Will and Rick do their radio interview I want to hear it first hand.. I shall bring the toothpicks.... thanks

bum boy......is Will a panhandler ?

see why are we misspending money on GAMES when poverty is so high here in NS?

I AM OUTRAGED!

AGAIN IN PRIVATE MESSAGE....

The agenda I'm referring to is your agenda, targeting specific people and making accusations against public people without proof or admission of speculation. That is against board rules and puts the board at risk for libel. It is clear you are not critisizing are debating the pros and/or cons of the bid - but instead are out to attack these certain people.

I knew by your use of 'agenda' you were confused the first time: I didnot need this explanation that confirmed that point even more.

You have me confused for the 'people' you allow to post here that are PROGAMES..I do not need to pull info out of my buttocks and call it a fact...MY claims of rape are substantiated and have been assigned an incident report number that you are more than able to verify.

Unlike others I do not post what I cannot support in a court of law but why the double standards? Did you send Joe Howe a private message posting that JJ was a drug using child molester..I see it is still on board...

For the record YOU cannot be held liable only I can for what I post my name is Gayle McIntyre.

How can I target people here when I know no one here? Please do not give me credit where none is due.

I have all kinds of evidence but this is not the rape board now is it..which is it: do you want me on topic or off- off- off topic?

If you are that confused as to what is bashing and what is debating then I see why you have so many monosyllabic people posting here

You have had all kinds of opportunities to ban my posts or membership but now you want to cry 'victim'...I can see why you overidentify with those that are useless and unintelligent on this board.

Feel free to ban me at any time : you just make my point on censorship and control of truth and information

I have made my point too many times over ....

Jim, I was thinking.....one need not look any further than these threads to see the level of intelligence and education in the PROGAMES gallery is embarassing low...a great argument that monies should be allocated back to education and resources in NS instead of the GAMES.

Does Rick Howe know about this board: he should get peek on the one sided debate here.....I almost feel sorry for the PROGAMES....almost I said...LOL

It is like an unfair fight Jim...

please let us know when Will and Rick do their radio interview I want to hear it first hand.. I shall bring the toothpicks.... thanks

bum boy......is Will a panhandler ?

see why are we misspending money on GAMES when poverty is so high here in NS?

I AM OUTRAGED!

Rick Howe....does anyone acatully listen to that guy? geeech his not even on the FM dail is he. Just a bunck of old cranky people who have nothing better to do then bitch and complain that listen to him.

Intersting post Jim....supports my points, both of them ... for clarifictaion my use of BANKRUPT is meant to reflect that reality of misspending, services cuts, increased poverty and deficits, not the legal act of bankruptcy.

and Jim I LOVE THE THREE STOOGES :please do not insult them again .....LOL

oh what I could tell you about Hensbee.....

Yes you are right outraged having WILL and the Curley in the same statement is and insult to his high intelligence . CURLEY'S that is .

jim jones

Rick Howe....does anyone acatully listen to that guy? geeech his not even on the FM dail is he. Just a bunck of old cranky people who have nothing better to do then bitch and complain that listen to him.

Well WILL you seem to listen with great intent . But hey you can run your mouth all you want WILL but face someone who actually knows the ins and outs of this better then you do and you cower in a corner saying "wwwwwwwwaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh I dont know if I can make it rick I have to check my business schedule """"

Either put up on the rick howe show or shut up about being Toronto or what people should say or not say about a rolling stones show that did not produce the goods for

Donald K Donald in Halifax. LOL Donald K Donald is not the party interested in doing a commons concert this year and the result showed him it is not a viable business at that location. NEXT SUCKER please stand up

jim jones

Well WILL you seem to listen with great intent . But hey you can run your mouth all you want WILL but face someone who actually knows the ins and outs of this better then you do and you cower in a corner saying "wwwwwwwwaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh I dont know if I can make it rick I have to check my business schedule """"

Either put up on the rick howe show or shut up about being Toronto or what people should say or not say about a rolling stones show that did not produce the goods for

Donald K Donald in Halifax. LOL Donald K Donald is not the party interested in doing a commons concert this year and the result showed him it is not a viable business at that location. NEXT SUCKER please stand up

jim jones

What in ther world are you talking about now :huh: I think you forgot to take you're medication again Jim.

Scott Logan speaks to the Daily News.

http://www.hfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=7940&sc=89

Yes for a couple of months ago " I have a new number that but I cant say it is higher or lower" to "Its not going to be less. "

GEE no kidding Scott just spill the beans because you are no Peter Uberoff in fact you are the opposite. Every single one of these black holes of economic disaster has always been misestimated because if public was feed the real truth

then you, Duff Montgomery and the other in the committee would be out of a job. It is the ultimate abuse of taxpayers dollars and the fact that infrastructure is held hostage in the name of a sports festival is incredible.

prime example currently happening is the circumstances surrounding the london 2012 games

http://www.gamesbids.com/cgi-bin/news/view...p;id=1170607000

Double the original estimate . Well Scott and company are on their way to that with the original cost stated August 9th 2005 in HRM council to be 500 million then it goes to 750 million and then 787 million and now above that. It will be 1 billion when logan and company come out with their budget and that is where the council pulls the plug because their 25 percent share would be 250 million or almost the total debt of the city now. No one is going to insure bonds on a city that is 285 million in debt and then added a quarter billion to that for a sports festival. More pressing issues are ahead of the city like as much a 200 million dollar share for replacing water mains in the city.

Yes 11.8 billion dollars in london for the olympics and Scott Logan does not figure we will double the 785 million dollar estimate?

Mayor Kelly has stated it Halifax cant afford the share it has at 25 percent and 20 percent of one billion is 200 million or the share the committee would have to come up with in private money. Considering ticket sales, tv rights , merch, and sponsorship was about 150 million canadian in a melbourne a market place with a scale of economy much larger we are in for flipping 90 percent of the bill and that will come from the city and province not the feds

They are capped at 400 million maximum with 33 percent being the maximum funding share.

Hey considering British Airways wouldnt touch the London games because costs and the possible damage to their local rep in the UK Corporations are smartening up to the fact sometimes having the logo of a pack of liars under the logo of your company is not such a good idea. The talk is that 2.5 billion uk pounds that their committee has to raise privately will not be raised and lets face the committee here may have a shorter journey in that regards but the commonwnealth games ar no wheres near the olympics. LOL

Corporation Helping to fund local financial and social misery effects local companies bottom line with angry local customer or the base of your business. That is probably not lost on Sobeys as they originally sponsored the domestic bid but have mysterously disappeared from the sponsorship list when logan and company came knocking for the international bid. GEE wonder if the controversy has anything to do with it. Sobeys gives its shareholders a prospectice for the year coming but somehow taxpayers are not afforded that when it comes to a sports festival 30 percent of the world population has teams in and well over half are asleep when the event takes place.

1.5 million in product purchased based sponsorship is a long way from 250 million that would be need for a billion in games expense. There is no boradcaster company in canada that will be suckered for 40 million us dollar like kerry packer and channel nine in melbourne. Rogers , TSN, CTV ,Score all turned down the 2006 commonwealth games and the CBC might as well have as it is rumored they were paid by the committee to broadcast.

jim jones

I received permission to copy this letter here. I read it on a very highly intelligent webblogsite Click HereIf you are about knowing the TRUTH I highly recommend reading this blog, it supports everything I have been saying for years....dang there goes my insanity defense!.....LMAO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An open letter to Nova Scotian Politicians and Bureaucrats.

From taxpayer C.Smiley Halifax County Nova Scotia

Dear Editor:

This is an open letter to all political parties and “their” elected representatives. It was sent to the Chronicle Herald and the Daily News on January 10, 2007, both have refused to publish it. So I hope that your News Blog will be so kind as to accommodate my request?Thank YouC. SmileyDated: Jan. 10, 2007To The Attention of all Politicians:I have been voting for over 60 years and now that I am nearing the end of my journey through life, I finally realizing that the whole process is wrong . You see, all I have been doing is maintaining and justifying a system that has gone badly wrong and one where political parties abuse our trust and the power we entrust them, with. We have failed as responsible citizens, we should never take a politician who belongs to a political party at his or her word, for they are proven liars.

We should all be educated to the fact that political parties hold a membership well below 2% of the entire voting population and when these party candidates get elected , they govern for that 2% . The rest of us, who hold no party affiliation are ignore, because we are not party members, thus we are overlooked as taxpayers, except when it comes to taxes or user fees.

Over the years, I have tried out all three political parties here in Nova Scotia, both federal and provincial, but never was a member of any of the three, this explains why the candidate elect , has never visited me or replied to any of my letters of concern. But I do pay their wage and their very handsome benefit packages they receive.

What is wrong about this whole voting process, is that these elected candidates purposely overlooks the fact that YOU and I , are taxpayers first and that policies and legislation are passed into law to benefit the parties agenda. Instead of introducing legislation , policies and regulations that best fit the needs of all of the taxpayers. These policies and tax collecting scams/ user fees are designed to serve, not the majority, but the minority, which just happen to be party members , who sit high on the party membership ladder.

If taxes reflected the cost to employ the bureaucrats (public servants), cost to maintain the public infrastructure, services and programs which service just the citizens and not go to financing private business, we would most likely see a reduction in taxes or user fees. Not to mention the debt, as well.

But instead we are seeing a staggering high debt , driven by grants, forgivable loans, and payroll rebates to the private sector, while the cost to service these free handout are downloaded onto the back of the middle class , thus turning them into working poor. Yes the taxation system needs to be investigated , maybe it is time that we get those fools that someone voted for to sit down and listen to “we” taxpayers, don’t you think?

What is the job description for a politician anyway? Lets face it when these guys and gals are sworn into the legislature, aren’t they sworn in to represent all citizens in Nova Scotia, if this is true, then why don’t they?

The responsibility should not be put on the back of a political party to “govern” this province , because they have proven to put in place destructive policies, regulations and have nothing more than a self serving agenda. History has well documented the problem the party system has left behind or should I say downloaded onto those of us who struggle with daily life just survive.

What ever happened to common sense , accountability and responsibility ? I am of the opinion that in order to achieve common sense , accountability and responsibility within “government” , our legislators must hold the Deputy Minister and most senior bureaucrats feet to the fire.

Tell me do the taxpayers of Nova Scotia need Nova Scotia Business Inc: , all it is, is a bunch of well dressed bums, who run around giving away our tax base? These companies who set up in Nova Scotia, do only for the payroll rebate, but they also benefit from a sound public infrastructure,so why not share the cost? Lets get rid of this NSB Inc. and recoup all of our tax dollars, that sit in their private vault.

Let me suggest that these high paid political liars, that government has hired in Communication Nova Scotia, and those who do the public relation work, should all be let go, why does “government” , need spin doctors anyway, unless it is “governments” and those you elected intent to lie spin and weave their way into our pockets.

These people are being paid with our taxes to lie and mislead, this is morally wrong, but then again, politicians have taken morality out of “government”, haven’t they?

I end in saying that myself and many other Nova Scotian’s have lost faith in both the process we use, to choose who we will sent to the Nova Scotia Legislature, to look out for our best interest, because they haven’t. If they were, we would not be seeing taxes collected to finance private business.

You see, this is why we have a banking act and banks. For years we taxpayers wanted both levels of our governments to pay attention to the plight of health care, they ignore our many voices, now the number one crisis is global warming, it is the new issue , health care has gone off the political radar and will they pay attention to global warming? No! So, you tell me, why in the hell we vote? Who benefits?

SincerelyC. SmileyHalifax CountyNova Scotia

HawkeyeNews wishes to thank C. Smiley for the letter.

~~ as does Gayle McIntyre and any one else desperately seeking responsible and accountable government in Nova Scotia.BRAVO BRAVO !!!! Again this ON TOPIC provided yet another voice to the misspending of NS monies...by those not deserving to be in office, any office......

I am starting to wonder what has to happen in this province before someone is held accountable?

I find it reckless for the CWG to ignore the elephunk in the livingroom. Perhaps I am wrong for assuming they represent excellence, integrity and honour: they say it is ones own expectations that cause the disappointment.

I publically apologize: MY EXPECTATIONs of CWG FEDERATION are too high.

:(

Jim, we already knew all that. It isnt going to change our minds from pro to con. I really believe that if the games are held here, that it will be successful contrary to your beliefs.

Well actually Wishblade I could never change pro-games people minds but atleast you have intelligence enough to say Hey Jim Are you against a stadium in Halifax.

My answer a couple of months ago was no and it remains that way. A logically stadium development plan I am in favor of but the commonwealth games as Politicians and former chairs of commonwealth games in New Zealand are saying the operational ,capital and security expenses are too high for the actually value of the games.

A former Pro-Games journalist in the city is now Anti games and that is in part to the efforts for bruce devenne , myself and others. But I don't think we can take anywhere near half the credit for that. Scott Logan and the Committee is the sales force we can have to say that it is a totally stupid idea.

The thing is all you really have to look at there is most outside the small circle of Halifax supporter think it is an idea that will ultimately fail. and that is a huge waste of money that could have went to the objective of having a outdoor stadium in the HRM. One of those believes it is a stupid idea is Apple who was personally involved with the 2003 Hamilton Bid Committee and was with the Hamilton bid committee in Kingston, Jamaica when New Delhi slam dunked Hamilton for the 80th aniversery of the commonwealth games which began in Hamilton in 1930.

The Colusion with the developing commonwealth will mean Canada get left holding the bag again LOL especially with the difference between the set of facilities in Hamilton and Halifax .

jim jones

Well, speaking of the possible Halifax main stadium costs, should the city get the bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games, they may want to see what Calgary may end up doing. You see, I just heard in my local news that the fate of the Pengrowth Saddledome is on the line. I will try to get more news regarding this, but there has been talk about replacing it since last year. The main reason: the Calgary Flames NHL team "outgrew it." So, this week, a report will come out to determine how to accommodate the team.

Here is where the interesting prospect(s) come into play. They could keep it and let it be used for other purposes. Second, it could be torn down completely, after the new ice arena is built. The most important aspect of it all is the overall cost of building a new venue for the Calgary Flames and other functions. It would be mostly likely be made into a "smaller version of the Staples Center" in Los Angeles, if plans are approved and given the go-ahead. Of course, the NHL would welcome something like this to boost its image. The local news clip gave the cost of the LA arena at around $900 million. In Calgary's case, it could cost around CDN$500 MILLION! Remember, this is just for that venue itself. Already, some aldermen of City Hall are having concerns about that. When the Saddledome was built in the early 1980s, all levels of government was involved in the project's funding because of the preparations for the 1988 Olympic Winter Games. In this case, that will most likely not be so.

Unless the Halifax bid committee and other parties involved has plans to make the possible costs for the overall Commonwealth Games manageable, from venues to other logistics, then it could be heading into major trouble. I'll put the link here of what could be Calgary's new multi-purpose arena would generally look like:

Link: Los Angeles' Staples Center

Well, speaking of the possible Halifax main stadium costs, should the city get the bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games, they may want to see what Calgary may end up doing. You see, I just heard in my local news that the fate of the Pengrowth Saddledome is on the line. I will try to get more news regarding this, but there has been talk about replacing it since last year. The main reason: the Calgary Flames NHL team "outgrew it." So, this week, a report will come out to determine how to accommodate the team.

Here is where the interesting prospect(s) come into play. They could keep it and let it be used for other purposes. Second, it could be torn down completely, after the new ice arena is built. The most important aspect of it all is the overall cost of building a new venue for the Calgary Flames and other functions. It would be mostly likely be made into a "smaller version of the Staples Center" in Los Angeles, if plans are approved and given the go-ahead. Of course, the NHL would welcome something like this to boost its image. The local news clip gave the cost of the LA arena at around $900 million. In Calgary's case, it could cost around CDN$500 MILLION! Remember, this is just for that venue itself. Already, some aldermen of City Hall are having concerns about that. When the Saddledome was built in the early 1980s, all levels of government was involved in the project's funding because of the preparations for the 1988 Olympic Winter Games. In this case, that will most likely not be so.

Unless the Halifax bid committee and other parties involved has plans to make the possible costs for the overall Commonwealth Games manageable, from venues to other logistics, then it could be heading into major trouble. I'll put the link here of what could be Calgary's new multi-purpose arena would generally look like:

actually I believe that is a part of the entire development by the Anschultz group. It is a huge shopping and entertainment complex with the staples centre as one of the first phases. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_S...inment_District. The staples center was 375 million us and opened in 1999.

A new arena in Calgary is probably in the 500 million dollar range for the improvements that are going in new places like the Newark arena for the New Jersey Devils. With the money Alberta has I am sure they will be building a new arena for the edmonton oilers as well. Mac Mahon Stadium I could see gettting funding too at some point or a replacement. Alberta has a bargaining chip that could probably provide them with cheap labour and someon else paying for the stadiums and arenas. china wants alberta oil sands and are willing to build a pipeline to the west coast to onload alberta oil . China is currently flushed with skilled stadium construction workers and are exporting that labour to many places on earth cheaply and in some cases funding half of the projects in the developing world.

I am sure Alberta could swing a deal like that if they wanted. Now Whether Alberta would do it is another matter.

jim jones

actually I believe that is a part of the entire development by the Anschultz group. It is a huge shopping and entertainment complex with the staples centre as one of the first phases. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_S...inment_District. The staples center was 375 million us and opened in 1999.

A new arena in Calgary is probably in the 500 million dollar range for the improvements that are going in new places like the Newark arena for the New Jersey Devils. With the money Alberta has I am sure they will be building a new arena for the edmonton oilers as well. Mac Mahon Stadium I could see gettting funding too at some point or a replacement. Alberta has a bargaining chip that could probably provide them with cheap labour and someon else paying for the stadiums and arenas. china wants alberta oil sands and are willing to build a pipeline to the west coast to onload alberta oil . China is currently flushed with skilled stadium construction workers and are exporting that labour to many places on earth cheaply and in some cases funding half of the projects in the developing world.

I am sure Alberta could swing a deal like that if they wanted. Now Whether Alberta would do it is another matter.

jim jones

Funny that you mentioned about the oil sands here. Last night, Ed Stelmach was not mincing words, when the environment issue came up to him. His interpretation of the federal government's predicament in its attempt to "appease" everyone concerned about Kyoto commitments and the like was that of "more Alberta bashing." As a result and in my inference about the province's history, I wouldn't be surprised if there are silent calls for Albertans to re-evaluate its place in Confederation. Ralph Klein believed in "wanting Alberta to be part of Canada." With Ed Stelmach, it could be a different outcome from him. He basically said, "Clean up your act before attacking us." I guess this will fuel the "Alberta alienation" problem again to some Albertans, despite Harper and his people.

Funny that you mentioned about the oil sands here. Last night, Ed Stelmach was not mincing words, when the environment issue came up to him. His interpretation of the federal government's predicament in its attempt to "appease" everyone concerned about Kyoto commitments and the like was that of "more Alberta bashing." As a result and in my inference about the province's history, I wouldn't be surprised if there are silent calls for Albertans to re-evaluate its place in Confederation. Ralph Klein believed in "wanting Alberta to be part of Canada." With Ed Stelmach, it could be a different outcome from him. He basically said, "Clean up your act before attacking us." I guess this will fuel the "Alberta alienation" problem again to some Albertans, despite Harper and his people.

It is just like Brazil and the rain forests, Colombia and cocaine production and afganistan and Herion . Who is more guilt then the socieies that are the consumers in unwise practices . You cant point a finger to places if you are not going to do something about the root cause of the money trail the wasteful or harmful consumer in the united states or western europe. the thing is we are getting to a point that saving the use of oil internally in canada is actually better for us. You decrease what you need domestically and it then can be exported and make our trade surpluses with the US larger. We can all use every cent possible to reduce the national debt.

jim jones

snipped for reading and space

G, the plans to make the possible costs is what concerns me and anyone working with poverty issues in NS. What cuts will be had to take from Paul (Public) to give to Peter (Peter)...

I was at a youth and anger workshop today and the enablers as usual were in the room: one such enabler, the police, had two excuses for the youth and violence situations (1) the ACT (2) lack of resources for services needed..........

from the mule's mouth...

heading for major trouble...

G, we have arrived.

Makes you wonder why Canada is the "envy" of the G8 for the last couple of years, huh, guys? And, that is despite of the ways the Liberals and the Conservatives tried to rule the country in all these times. I bet big time, if Nova Scotia was getting the kind of money Alberta was getting since eliminating that province's deficit first in the 1990s, it would have more than the economic means to deal with all the issues that is plaguing Nova Scotia now. But, don't kid yourselves in believing that it was easy for the average Albertan to swallow all of that then, never mind now. Alberta is definitely in unknown territory on many fronts that is "un-Canadian."

Anyway, it will be interesting on what the results of that ambitious worldwide trip, by the Halifax bid committee, would do to help or hinder the 2014 bid once they come back.

Makes you wonder why Canada is the "envy" of the G8 for the last couple of years, huh, guys? And, that is despite of the ways the Liberals and the Conservatives tried to rule the country in all these times. I bet big time, if Nova Scotia was getting the kind of money Alberta was getting since eliminating that province's deficit first in the 1990s, it would have more than the economic means to deal with all the issues that is plaguing Nova Scotia now. But, don't kid yourselves in believing that it was easy for the average Albertan to swallow all of that then, never mind now. Alberta is definitely in unknown territory on many fronts that is "un-Canadian."

Anyway, it will be interesting on what the results of that ambitious worldwide trip, by the Halifax bid committee, would do to help or hinder the 2014 bid once they come back.

Interesting how you said that about envy G. It was not that long ago that nations looked to CDN to assess our quality health care system.....now they don't..

Read this really enraging article today about Regina's NORTH CENTRAL poverty district.....this is outrageous.....I think nationally CDN need to focus on becoming stronger and once it gets its foundation back in place then...

I submitted a 15 page brief ( oxymoron?) to the FINANCE COMMITTEE and no GAMES BIDS were not on it LOL

Anyway, the theme was CANADA IN A COMPETITIVE WORLD...the primary premise that CND need to worry about competing with itself to higher the bar for standards across this nations before it thinks it is healthy enough to compete with the world....I was shocked after all the brutal honesty I put in my brief I was asked to publically present .......it was well received and I thought that brought credibility to the committee, their egos could handle the criticism... though I did back them up with recommendations and strategies..

I find it annoying when someone does not like something but do not offer anything in its stead...

I agree about the money ..if we had it but as with all systems they are only as intelligent and efficient as those running them...

NFLD is doing leaps and bounds on poverty issues...how did that happen when they had the least.....POLITICAL WILL TO IMPROVE QUALITY OF LIFE FOR ALL..that was their focus and they achieved it...they were not distracted by shiny GAMES etc......they have their priorities in order and it will pay off for generations to come...

obstacles are for those who took their eyes of the goal unknown

G, that nations bidding trip is aggravating me so much...I really do not think it should be allowed......if you are not strong enough to win from home turf then get off the bus......

I really see it as begging on one's knees and for that I am ashamed...

Interesting how you said that about envy G. It was not that long ago that nations looked to CDN to assess our quality health care system.....now they don't..

Read this really enraging article today about Regina's NORTH CENTRAL poverty district.....this is outrageous.....I think nationally CDN need to focus on becoming stronger and once it gets its foundation back in place then...

I submitted a 15 page brief ( oxymoron?) to the FINANCE COMMITTEE and no GAMES BIDS were not on it LOL

Anyway, the theme was CANADA IN A COMPETITIVE WORLD...the primary premise that CND need to worry about competing with itself to higher the bar for standards across this nations before it thinks it is healthy enough to compete with the world....I was shocked after all the brutal honesty I put in my brief I was asked to publically present .......it was well received and I thought that brought credibility to the committee, their egos could handle the criticism... though I did back them up with recommendations and strategies..

No kidding, Outraged. And, yet, Alberta sometimes gets in the national spotlight media for the wrong reasons. Our "red-neck ways" are "anti-Canadian" and the province must be punished for "their crimes." Like, what the #@*! is that supposed to mean? I know of the phrase, "You cannot please everybody", but let's get real, folks. If the nation doesn't get its act together in many fronts, it is still going to be labeled the usual stereotypes the world sees Canada. And, the world is not that stable nowadays and any "misinterpretation" could lead to more problems to come.

No kidding, Outraged. And, yet, Alberta sometimes gets in the national spotlight media for the wrong reasons. Our "red-neck ways" are "anti-Canadian" and the province must be punished for "their crimes." Like, what the #@*! is that supposed to mean? I know of the phrase, "You cannot please everybody", but let's get real, folks. If the nation doesn't get its act together in many fronts, it is still going to be labeled the usual stereotypes the world sees Canada. And, the world is not that stable nowadays and any "misinterpretation" could lead to more problems to come.

sorry G I forgot my link in last post...for your reading if you cannot sleep at night LMAO I mean zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

http://cmte.parl.gc.ca/Content/HOC/Committ.../FINAEV40-E.PDF

Well, I am, for one, yet to discover what the heck IS Canadian? Oh wait ..if you got one of those flags from Sheila Copp then you are a REAL CDN note sarcasm and I wont start on that mess.....so if I do not know what CND means I sure do not know what ANTI CDN means?

As an immigrant we were told at very young ages why we came to CANADA...the village...I am yet to see that ideal in reality... so it would be interesting to see how a CDN sees themselves versus how immigrants see CNDS...

I am sure people are still laughing at us over the helicopters, wrong fatigues at war, CDN flags costing 23 m..I would not take us seriously either...

we live in a sociopathic world, this cutesy curtsey thing Canada has been wearing is old and tired......we will be left in everyone's dust if we do not get the dung togther.....

I can hear it now .....Canada? oh you mean that village north of USA....

Sorry no link yet... I am appalled no I am OUTRAGED..how the heck is this community health project even in the same category as the CWGAMES........again further proof to the assinine people in power....there is no conversation people....health over GAMES..health OVER GAMES..HEALTH OVER GAMES.......where is the debate?

Eastern Passage sewage plant needs $30m upgrade

By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE Staff Reporter

(mlightstone@herald.ca)

Metro’s overtaxed sewage plant in Eastern Passage is so incapable of handling demand that the site fails to comply with provincial environmental legislation on a regular basis, Halifax regional council heard Tuesday.

Municipal staff told councillors upgrades needed to increase capacity will cost $30 million over the next 20 years, in order to keep pace with a growing bedroom community that’s projected to continue expanding.

A funding plan for the project hasn’t been decided, though the politicians were told by staff that a little more than $20 million will likely have to be borrowed to help bankroll the proposed expansion.

Council’s committee of the whole heard that refurbishing the sewage treatment plant is a top priority and the largest Halifax Regional Municipality project of its kind on the horizon. John Sheppard, the city’s environmental engineering services manager, said the city is fortunate the provincial government hasn’t charged it for violating environmental protection laws.

He said improvements to the plant, which serves about 38,000 people, probably should have been done five years ago. A city hall staff report says the Eastern Passage site is "consistently out of compliance" with provincial rules.

"During wet weather conditions, excessive infiltration and inflow (of raw sewage) causes flows to increase," the report says, "with much of the flow bypassing the plant."

Regional council agreed to defer the sewage plant issue for more fiscal planning information from municipal staff. A staff report is to be brought to council next month.

Mr. Sheppard said rehabilitating the sewage plant can’t wait any longer. He said city employees and staff with the province’s medical officer of health must meet on a regular basis to discuss the overwhelmed facility.

Coun. Harry McInroy (Cole Harbour) echoed comments of his colleagues and said the plant’s upgrades should begin immediately. But he also acknowledged he’s worried about the $30-million cost estimate.

"We’re struggling with trying to (cover a large expense) on an urgent project," he said, adding, "We’ve got other huge projects on the horizon."

Mr. McInroy was referring to such big-ticket items as metro’s proposal for the 2014 Commonwealth Games, the Halifax Harbour cleanup and proposed commuter ferries for Bedford and Purcells Cove.

"There are people trying to figure out how we’re going to be able to afford this," said the councillor, speaking about the Eastern Passage plant expansion. "There are serious implications here for the people who pay the bills."

Archived