Hamilton eyes 2014 Commonwealth Games

Apple

Bidding experience key as first deadline looms; but South Africa wild card

By John Kernaghan

The Hamilton Spectator(Jun 24, 2005)

Hamilton is back in the Games-bidding game and already facing looming deadlines.

Key figures in the city's bid for the 2010 Commonwealth Games had anticipated yesterday's announcement that Canada is looking for a city to go after the 2014 Games. So they're on their marks to meet July 22 and Nov.1 drop-dead dates for delivering an intent to bid and a formal bid to win the endorsement of Commonwealth Games Canada.

"We've never stopped meeting," said Hamilton 2010 president Jagoda Pike. "We've always felt that if the first bid didn't work we'd go at it again. This time with the work we've done and what we know, we feel we have even more traction."

Pike, publisher of The Hamilton Spectator, and the 2010 bid's vice-presidents, David Adames and Roger Trull, have been monitoring developments since Hamilton lost to New Delhi, India, in the November 2003 vote.

"All the same reasons apply this time around," said Adames, director of Tourism Hamilton.

He pointed to the commitment of $500 million in provincial and federal funding for the 2010 bid and the employment and improved recreation and health facilities that would flow from hosting the Games.

"I think we have an obligation to look hard at going after the Games again, considering we have the plans and expertise from the 2010 bid," said Adames.

But he said the city has to review the bid guidelines and then meet that tight July 22 deadline to deliver a letter of intent to bid.

Meantime, McMaster University executive Trull said Mac still sees the same benefits from a Games for the school and the community.

And although Mac has forged ahead with a massive athletic expansion, the components needed for Games facilities could be added with little fuss, he added. Trull said Mac's only concern in moving forward was reform of the Games' bidding process.

The Commonwealth Games Federation was rocked by controversy after the bidding process for the 2010 Games.

India promised $100,000 US to each national association in a last-minute vote-grabber.

"We wanted to see that the bidding process was being reformed and were happy that Canada's Bruce Robertson (a CGF vice-president) has been doing that."

Trull said the only development that would derail Hamilton's interest is if South Africa decided to proceed with a 2014 bid. There would be strong sentimental appeal as Africa has never staged the Games.

South Africa is staging the 2010 soccer World Cup, which might prevent a Games bid.

So far, only Glasgow, Scotland, has declared a bid.

Thomas Jones, CEO of Commonweath Games Canada, said a Hamilton bid for the domestic stage would be most welcome.

"Hamilton did such a great job with the last bid, everything was first class."

He said no other Canadian cities have indicated interest. Halifax, which Hamilton defeated in the 2010 bid process, will likely be back and there is apparently interest in Toronto and Montreal.

Hamilton will be stronger at both the domestic and international level this time because it has played the game, has a depth of expertise and planning at hand and has a better sense of the international climate, said Pike.

"There are several developments that enhance our position. We have the athletic expansion at McMaster, a vitalized football club with an owner in Bob Young who is a good fit with his quest for a new stadium and the 2007 opening of the Royal Connaught Hotel."

In announcing the 2014 initiative, a CGC statement said it "believes that hosting the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Canada will strengthen the Canadian sport system, provide sport development opportunities for athletes, coaches and participants, and will build a lasting legacy for Canadians."

Said Commonwealth Games Federation president Michael Fennell, of Jamaica, in a statement: "Canada has a solid track record with the Commonwealth Games and a history of hosting successful international Games."

:grinning:

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so Hamilton should bid, and Hamilton should win, South Africa has the world cup, thats good enough from them, not to mention the Cricket world cup and the Rugby World Cup looking to come there way in the next 25 years

Bid Process and Timelines

Domestic Phase

July 22, 2005 – Deadline for receipt of “letter of intent” by interested cities to be the Canadian candidate bid city to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games

August 2005 – Bid City conference, to be hosted by CGC, will provide information and respond to any questions from interested cities.

November 1, 2005 - Deadline for receipt of formal bid city materials

December 2005 - Public Announcement of CGC Candidate Bid City

March 15-26, 2006 – XVIII Commonwealth Games in Melbourne Australia

International Phase

April 2006 – Launch of International Bid process

March 2007 – Deadline for Lodgement of formal international bids to the CGF

Fall 2007 – Selection of host country for the 2014 Commonwealth Games, at CGF general assembly in Sri Lanka

Watch out for Montreal. The city may well declare a bid, during or after the 2005 FIFA swimming world championship is over.

Montreal has spent a lot of money in building these swimming facilities. It would be no suprise if the city were to put forward a bid for 2014 CG´s, on the back of these of the swimming worlds.

I posted this in another tread but might as well post it here since this will surely be part of Hamilton's bid.

Last week McMaster University announced that Ron Joyce donated $10 million to build a new stadium at McMaster University. Going to be called Ronald V. Joyce Stadium.

34.jpg

This was part of Hamilton's 2010 Commonwealth Games bid. The sport complex is the building you see at the end zone ($30 million).

Under the 2010 bid rugby 7's and soccer/football (finals at main stadium) would be hosted at McMaster Stadium.

All of this is going to make Hamilton's bid cheaper. Just need to build a new stadium and an aquatic centre. The rest will need to be refurbished (Copps Coliseum, Hamilton Place, etc)

If Toronto gets Expo 2014, I would like to see the Haligonians get 2014 Commonwealth Games instead of Hamilton just to spread things out in Canada. The west (Vancouver 2010), the central (TO-2014), and the east (Halifax 2014) would have all hosted something.

I was a huge supporter for Hamilton 2010.

The stadium looks awesome btw.

Victoria's Commonwealth Stadium was a temporary stadium. I believe it had 35,000 seats during the Games, today it only has 5,000. There's no way Vancouver Island can handle a 35,000 seat outdoor stadium..........it was smart and sustainable.

You guys know who Ron Joyce is right? The founder of Tim Hortons (doughnut and coffee shop in Canada and USA). Hamilton is home to the first Tim Hortons blah blah blah.

Here's a funny cartoon about Ron Joyce stadium

2005-06-18.jpg

:) So at the moment we are looking at a known three horse race...

Hamilton, Cape Town, Glasgow.

Darkhorses would be Singapore, or London(failing '12) as a consolation prize. Wellington a posibility if NZ fails it's 2011 RWC bid, that country is overdue to host.  A possible Australian candidate is also likely after the success of 2006.

IMO, Hamilton would have to slug it out with Cape Town if (and looks likely) that city will bid. Glasgow would fall early with or without London's Olympic asperations.

Cape Town would most likely build Olympic sized venues, anticipating a 2020 bid.  The South Africans will still be on a high after 2010 FIFA WC.

Cape Town also has the advantage of the "Rainbow" nation affect and the first serious African bid.   The only way Hamilton could get round this is it's guarentee of security and cultural history.

Still the more cities that front up for this event, the better.

:D

Personally I believe that Glasgow would be in front. They have excellent sporting infrastructure with the Hampden Stadium, Scotland Exhibition and Convention Centre and two new sporting arenas of 12,500 and 5,000 seats.

So far the only countries that have announced they WILL bid are Scotland, Nigeria and Canada. New Zealand, Wales, Singapore and South Africa have only expressed interest so far.

This article says that South Africa is supporting Nigeria’s bid so I guess there not biding

If Toronto gets Expo 2014, I would like to see the Haligonians get 2014 Commonwealth Games instead of Hamilton just to spread things out in Canada. The west (Vancouver 2010), the central (TO-2014), and the east (Halifax 2014) would have all hosted something.

I was a huge supporter for Hamilton 2010.

The stadium looks awesome btw.

Victoria's Commonwealth Stadium was a temporary stadium. I believe it had 35,000 seats during the Games, today it only has 5,000. There's no way Vancouver Island can handle a 35,000 seat outdoor stadium..........it was smart and sustainable.

You mean Expo 2015. Never mind that other international events that other Canadian cities want in a decade.

i do know that about 1 year ago the NZOC (New Zealand Olympic Committee) and the Hamilton City council began a study about the feesibiltiy in holding the 2014 commonwealth games. I dont know what the outcome of that study was though

i wouldn't give anything to South Africa until after the 2010 world cup, because already there are signs of trouble for it, especially when it comes to money and have you seen some of the proposed venues, they're dumps

"South Africa has formally supported Nigeria´s bid to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games and will work with regional and continental bodies to ensure the Nigerians get the multiple sports event."

So does that mean South Africa won't be making a bid? That's big news.

i do know that about 1 year ago the NZOC (New Zealand Olympic Committee) and the Hamilton City council began a study about the feesibiltiy in holding the 2014 commonwealth games. I dont know what the outcome of that study was though

That bid attempt was scrapped earlier this year...

There is a tread in this Other International Games site further back.

As for South Africa supporting a Lagos bid...a credit building exercise for a 2020 SOG bid, and all the better to them.

So the whole demographic will change with a bidding war between Glasgow and Hamilton.

IMO I'd like to see Hamilton as winner because we will get something different for a change...and the possibility of a couple of ice sports.

"South Africa has formally supported Nigeria´s bid to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games and will work with regional and continental bodies to ensure the Nigerians get the multiple sports event."

So does that mean South Africa won't be making a bid? That's big news.

From what I remember reading about a month ago, South Africa is expecting to make a bid announcement later this year, about October I think, but it looks likely that they will go ahead.

The Nigeria support, I'm sure is a case of African solidarity and diplomacy for the moment.

Don't know, if Halifax would want to try again to bid for the Commonwealth Games. If the Games get "too big", like some people are suggesting that it is heading, then the CGF is going to have to face this issue one way or the other.

I remember when Nigeria, Abuja, was hosting the All-Africa Games two years ago. It was a complete disaster, food poisoning, unpaid bills, unpaid allowances to volunteers and lack of transport for athletes and officials. Think two children died from food poisoning.

And if I remember right I think the wind got strong and collapsed part of the main stadium. Three people got killed. Then the cycling velodrome roof collapsed and injured up to fifty people.

Halifax has a lot going against them. They have very little venues at present. That’s the mean reason why they lost the Canadian bid to the 2010 Commonwealth Games. It would be expensive for them to host it.

Archived