Winter Commonwealth Games?

I think that it would be great to have winter commonwealth games, it could do a similar thing that the Winter Olympics do; promote winter sports, and you'd get to see a lot more of the cwg!

There are some disadvantages though; I calculated that there would be around 350 athletes competing in total for the medals, so it would be going back to the old days of the olympics, when only a few nations took part. And there are few commonwealth mountanous countries;

Scotland, (England and wales variably), Canada, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Pakistan, India, Australia and possibly malaysia? Tanzania? However, if you look at the Torino games, you see that there are 2 athletes from Bermuda competing! So I don't think that that would matter, other than hosting the event.

What do you think?

When Canada and GB were sitting in the top 4 places in the Mens Skeleton on Friday I was thinking this. However in hindsight its the most stupid idea ever.

Canada is the ONLY country that could afford to spend the money on the facilities needed (25million for Cestriere's Bob Track?) Just how many Ice Rinks do England/Australia need in one country? The fact is almost no commonwealth countries (bar Canada) have any winter olympic pedigree or NATURAL facilities (mountains for skiing, snow etc!). Just not practical on any level I'm afraid. Africa? SE Asia? Australasia? Malta and Med Islands? These ARE the commonwealth countries, hardly a hotbed for winter sports.

Unfortunatley none of these have the money to spend on these types of facilities and no major interest in the sports involved. You cant create a tradition of interest in skiing in these countries if they have no facilities I think. The odd Winter Olympic medal here or there is the best that most commonwealth countries can hope for - and its great when we get one! Go Shelley Rudman!

This old chestnut comesd up regularly _ I even suggested it myself once as a joke, and people started taking it seriously. Really, there's only two countries that could stage it _ Canada and NZ, unless they did some "stripped down" version and concentrateed on maybe the ice events (figure skating and curling in particular) and dispensed with some of the alpine events that require quite specific sites (the old 800m vertical drop runs). The trouble, why would they bother to do that as a separate games then _ they might as well just add ice events tothe normal games?

On the plus side, such a games would be a good opportunity for the likes of the UK, NZ and Australia to get some experience and practice in winter sports competition and maybe boost their chances at the WOGs.

The fact is almost no commonwealth countries (bar Canada) have any winter olympic pedigree or NATURAL facilities (mountains for skiing, snow etc!).

Actually, as implied above, NZ for sure and at a pinch India would also fit the bill. But otherwise, your point remains the same.

Just to ad to this fanciful proposal - It will never happen but it is not unfeasible.  A temporary dismantlable bob track has been trialled in a  few competitions - and seems a good idea.  As long as the support struts and seating is easily dismantlable and temporary that problem is solved.  Australia, the UK and others could host using temporary refridgeration etc.  

However the downhill is the clincher - only really does NZ, India, Pakistan and Canada have an Olympic FIS approved hill of the required height.  But it depends what sports they included.  If Australia bidded - Canberra and Melbourne (using Mt Buller) could stage a set of events - ice hockey, figure skating, curling, bobsleigh/luge/skeleton, aerials, moguls, snowboarding.  Even though the Dubai concept was fanciful, you could set up a halfpipe in Rod Laver Arena or the Sydney Superdome and still have seating for 5-6,000.

If the CG Winter Games were to include downhills etc then the field narrows substantially.  You could use a temorary lift structure on Buller or Kosciuszko (i dont care how you spell it), but the field of entries would be small - except the bobsligh which it seems every halfwit island nation wants to enter these days.

It would be a good idea in the fact it could get FIS sanctioning and make it easier for commonwealth competitors to qualify for the Olympics as points earned in teh CG Winter Games would or could count towards overall points on the circuit.  It would also allow Aussies and other non Winter sports nations to get expertise and share knowledge.

So you COULD have a CG Winter Games, but the cost far outstrips th ebenefits.  I would like to see Ice Hockey or Figure Skating added to the normal CGs - like the Goodwill Games.

I went to the Halp Pipe and there is no way it could fit into Rod Laver Arena or the Superdome. It is MUCH longer than it looks on TV.

Idea of having, say, just Curling in the Actual Commonwealths is a good one though. Particularly as Scotland is the original nation, and there are more curlers in Canada than in the rest of the world put together. Would def incourage curlers from other countries too.

Hmmm. I started to try to do a count of how the Commonwealth would have fared in a C Winter Games based on the Torino results .....

And I gave up before finishing day one, which basically had:

G    S    B*

Canada          4    4   1

UK                 0    0   1

* discrepancies caused by lack of three Commonwealth finalists in some events.

Maybe I'll get round to doing a full one soon, but already it just shows what a Commonwealth Winter games would be like _ a totally Canada eclipse of everyone else.

Just as the summer games are different, they wouldn't have to be a complete carbon copy of the Winter Olympics.  If they were, only Alberta and BC would be able to host them.

They could make due with smaller (or even no) mountains and have the core arena sports like figure skating, speed skating, hockey, and curling plus non-mountain sports like x-country skiing or biathlon.  And then there are a few sports that don't get on the Olympic programme to consider.

It isn't out of the question, but I think winter events would make it on to the regular Commonwealth programme before a full out Winter Games took place - such as figure skating or hockey - much like the Olympics before 1924.

i dont think a winter commonwealth games would ever happen!

:( One idea I brought up last year was a cheap to run Commonwealth Winter Carnival that would run for a week.  It was supposed to be a bare bones mountainside event, skis, boards, curling and skating only.

This would allow Canada, New Zealand and Australia (at a pinch) to hold a twelve year cycle as hosts.

However, as the debate continued we ended up with a near WOG event because that denominator of all sports events constantly came up...

Television Revenue!

It was a good idea though.

give it to cape town

we got snow sometimes in some moutains not too far away

we got a few ice rinks...and not too bad at creating some fake ice ramps of whatever u call them

Rink1.jpg

Rink6.jpg

20060227,1648,523.jpg

17.jpg

session19bc.jpg

24222036.newsummersnowii.jpg

snow1.JPG

5WCH_stellenbosch_snow.jpg

I don't think a winter commonwealth games would be that good but I do think it would be a good idea to incorporate some winter sports into the games like Curling, Skating and Ice Dancing (possibly Ice Hockey). So winter sports would could easily occur indoors. So instead of having a completely separate commonwealth winter games maybe just have a winter sports section withing the games.
  • 11 months later...

It is official that Jammu Kashmir - Paradise on Earth, of India will host the maiden Winter version of Commonwealth Games.

Being a member of Indian Olympic Association, I assure that Jammu And Kashmir will be hosting it.

To promote our sucessful hosting of maiden Winter Commonwealth Games, in 2010, we would be hosting the the maiden SAF Games in Northern India of Uttrachal/ Uttarakhand

Jammu and Kashmir already has the infrastructure of Ice-hockey rink and by exposure to Commonwealth Games in 2010, Indians will get exposed to the beauty of WInter Games, which is still unknown in India.

Although, India has no plans for winning any medals, but showcasing and exposing to mighty key players like Canada, UK and if also possible New Zealand, the tropical nations of the family of Commonwealth nations would be exposed also, making India the birth place of newly born Winter Commonwealth Games, which will born in 2010.

Since to acess, more athelets, we are planning to host the event in between December 2010 to February 2011.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

It is official that Jammu Kashmir - Paradise on Earth, of India will host the maiden Winter version of Commonwealth Games.

Being a member of Indian Olympic Association, I assure that Jammu And Kashmir will be hosting it.

To promote our sucessful hosting of maiden Winter Commonwealth Games, in 2010, we would be hosting the the maiden SAF Games in Northern India of Uttrachal/ Uttarakhand

Jammu and Kashmir already has the infrastructure of Ice-hockey rink and by exposure to Commonwealth Games in 2010, Indians will get exposed to the beauty of WInter Games, which is still unknown in India.

Although, India has no plans for winning any medals, but showcasing and exposing to mighty key players like Canada, UK and if also possible New Zealand, the tropical nations of the family of Commonwealth nations would be exposed also, making India the birth place of newly born Winter Commonwealth Games, which will born in 2010.

Since to acess, more athelets, we are planning to host the event in between December 2010 to February 2011.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

Gosh and I thought the outcome of a commonwealth games rugby sevens competition was predictable . Canada could send midget league or college players and win ice hockey games in double digits without a opposing team scoring a goal. The only real competition in a winter commonwealth games for Canada is a Dale Begg Smith who won a gold in moguls skiing in Torino. And Dale Begg Smith is an ex pat canadian. Australia is also very good at short track speed skating but for the most part Canada has been kept in check for winter olympic medals by european countries and america. The Asian coutires are comig on strong in aerial sking , figure skating,speed skating and ski jumping. Torino was incredible for Canada finishing second in the medals and the steady climb from the embrassment of being the only country to host and not win a single goal in Calgary 1988 is now far behind us.

I believe Canada will be at the top of the step of the medals in 2010 for Vancouver. Pretty much every sport in winter games we have a very strong presence in with the except of ski jumping and that could change soon. Canada used to have some good world talent in ski jumping but that went away in the 1990's with mismanagement and lack of funding. The ironic thing is Women in North America in ski jumping are dominate.

Canada has so much depth it is not funny.

The most lopsided competition for Ice hockey for a winter commonwealth games would have to be Canada's women vs anyone else in the commonwealth.

India 0 Canada 60. I would say Canada would be scoring a goal a minute. The only fair one for women hockey in a CWWG would be the best of the rest of the commonwealth as an all star team vs canada. Then you might see a goal or two for the all stars and canada would be about 10 to 20 goals LOL.

The very interesting one would be curling . canada is a huge force in a game that is from scotland.

jim jones

• 2 weeks later...
snipped for readingThe very interesting one would be curling . canada is a huge force in a game that is from scotland.

jim jones

tidbit- North America (CDN/USA) spends billions in golfing as a social symbol and it is the national sport of Scotland.....go figure...
  • 3 months later...

As a couple of you already mentioned, I only can see the CWF add some of the Winter Sports to the original Commonwealth Games. I can't see them creating a seperate Winter Commonwealth Games. If that did happen, the games would not be very competitive between countries as Canada would win over 90% of the medals. Then you have the fact that only a few countries can actually host the event.

If a Winter Commonwealth Games were to be initiated, it would most likely be like the Asian Winter games, effectively all current Winter Olympic sports minus, bobsleigh, luge, skeleton, ski jumping and the Nordic combined.

Essentially, no Bobsleigh track and Ski Jumps in order to cut down costs.

It could be like an Asian games that would allow such nations to get valuable experience in order to host a Winter Olympics, but Canada doesn't need that, Australia is a long shot, and NZ is better off just going for a future Winter Olympics bid anyways.

IMHO, I feel that it's unfeasible, just needless costs for the host nation, limitations of potential locations, (Canada, NZ, Australia and possibly Scotland) so basically, the lack of locations, and potential competing nations would seem pointless for the establishment of a Winter Commonwealth Games.

Archived