Salt Lake City 2034

I'll be curious to see what a preliminary venue plan looks like. I'd suspect it will be almost identical to that of the 2002 WOGs with  additional venues for the likes of ski orienteering and big air. The indoor ice events can all be in the same venues except for the secondary ice hockey venue (Peaks Ice Arena has since been converted into a community center) but McKay Events Center at Utah Valley State can easily fill that void. I could envision some jockeying for the Vivint Smart Arena (former Delta Center) between the IIHF and ISU given it's the largest indoor arena in the city and the Maverick Center at 10,000 might be considered too small for main events by the aforementioned federations.

On 5/8/2022 at 11:00 AM, stryker said:

I'll be curious to see what a preliminary venue plan looks like. I'd suspect it will be almost identical to that of the 2002 WOGs with  additional venues for the likes of ski orienteering and big air. The indoor ice events can all be in the same venues except for the secondary ice hockey venue (Peaks Ice Arena has since been converted into a community center) but McKay Events Center at Utah Valley State can easily fill that void. I could envision some jockeying for the Vivint Smart Arena (former Delta Center) between the IIHF and ISU given it's the largest indoor arena in the city and the Maverick Center at 10,000 might be considered too small for main events by the aforementioned federations.

Has the former Delta Center been renovated since 2002 to improve the sight lines?  Figure skating fans still gripe about that venue 20 years later - I seem to recall some large concrete pillars blocking views of the ice from some seats.  If the Maverick Center has better overall sight lines, then figure skating fans would be perfectly fine with a smaller venue.

16 minutes ago, Karenina said:

Has the former Delta Center been renovated since 2002 to improve the sight lines?  Figure skating fans still gripe about that venue 20 years later - I seem to recall some large concrete pillars blocking views of the ice from some seats.  If the Maverick Center has better overall sight lines, then figure skating fans would be perfectly fine with a smaller venue.

The problem with the arena in Salt Lake is that it was designed primarily for basketball and not so much for hockey, let alone for figure skating which requires a much larger ice surface.  As a result, here's what the arena looked like (I was there myself for 2 nights of short track)... aaascan081-2-salt-lake-city-olympics-200

I think some renovations were done there about 5 years ago.  Not sure if they would make this conversion any easier to pull off again or if Maverik Center would be easier to hold figure skating at

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

The problem with the arena in Salt Lake is that it was designed primarily for basketball and not so much for hockey, let alone for figure skating which requires a much larger ice surface.  As a result, here's what the arena looked like (I was there myself for 2 nights of short track)... aaascan081-2-salt-lake-city-olympics-200

I think some renovations were done there about 5 years ago.  Not sure if they would make this conversion any easier to pull off again or if Maverik Center would be easier to hold figure skating at

There was a $125 million renovation done at the end of the 2016 NBA season but it was largely to add additional luxury suites including floor suites along with expanding the concourses on both levels so I would assume the sight lines are still the same 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

A 2034 hosting possibility seems to be very much on Salt Lake City’s mind with these words …. “when it is in the best interest of the Olympic movement”.

It's no secret, they very openly came out and said they're looking at 2034 because of the sponsorship conflicts that would arise with LA2028 if they were to host in 2030.  So that "best interests" line is probably more about the USOPC, but they're certainly not going to say that openly.  Because SLC has maintained for a long time they would prefer to host sooner rather than later, but that may not fit into the grand scheme of things

It's interesting reading many of those naysayer comments about that article. Especially when local support continuously polls around 85%. But of course, it's always the very vocal minority that speaks out the most &/or it has to do with source (as another comment alluded to). 

I'm just like "Just-A-Fan's" comment, though - "I'll be happy to visit the Olympics in another city.." That for me is L.A. & SLC! :lol:

4 minutes ago, FYI said:

It's interesting reading many of those naysayer comments about that article. Especially when local support continuously polls around 85%. But of course, it's always the very vocal minority that speaks out the most &/or it has to do with source (as another comment alluded to). 

I'm just like "Just-A-Fan's" comment, though - "I'll be happy to visit the Olympics in another city.." That for me is L.A. & SLC! :lol:

The KSL article had a lot of comments who seem to think the majority of Utahns don't want the Olympics.  So yes, it's definitely a vocal minority.  But I would imagine it still remains a minority

11 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

The KSL article had a lot of comments who seem to think the majority of Utahns don't want the Olympics.  

Yeah, would like to know where they get that from, other than from their own inner circle.

So is that the IOC saying:

A) We think Sapporo is on for 2030, we just need to wait and get everything in order, then 34 is yours. 

Or b) Sapporo isn't happening, you're getting 2030 once we've settled how much we need to bribe LA so they're ok with it. 

2 minutes ago, yoshi said:

So is that the IOC saying:

A) We think Sapporo is on for 2030, we just need to wait and get everything in order, then 34 is yours. 

Or b) Sapporo isn't happening, you're getting 2030 once we've settled how much we need to bribe LA so they're ok with it. 

C) We don't know yet, need more info on Sapporo before we know what we're doing

Well, that's a given. If we already had more of that info on Sapporo, this would've been signed, sealed & delivered by now. Either SLC got 2030, or Sapporo 30 & SLC 34. If it was really such a hopeless cause for Sapporo, I don't think that they'd still be part of the 'continuous dialog', like a certain other Pyrenees bid.

48 minutes ago, FYI said:

Well, that's a given. If we already had more of that info on Sapporo, this would've been signed, sealed & delivered by now. Either SLC got 2030, or Sapporo 30 & SLC 34. If it was really such a hopeless cause for Sapporo, I don't think that they'd still be part of the 'continuous dialog', like a certain other Pyrenees bid.

Would we, though?  Tough to tell what this all would look like if Sapporo was on more solid footing, but I don't think it's a safe assumption that this would have been done already.  Especially where SLC still has questions on 2030 vs. 2034.  Yes, on the surface it makes sense, but it's not like the IOC doesn't know who is out there.  And who knows if they'd have moved both cities to targeted dialogue and wanted to lock them in sooner rather than later.

4 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The IOC's really hoping that giving the 2020ne marathons and walking races to Sapporo would've turned the 2030 trick.  Let's hope so.  

Well, I don't think that hurt, but it didn't give the Sapporo 2030 effort as big of a boost as they were probably hoping to get.  As it is, I suspect that we're going to see the IOC let this ride out until December.  If the Sapporo No Olympics group gains some momentum, then SLC will get 2030 and the IOC will go back to the drawing board for 2034.