German officials tout joint 2036 Olympic bid from Berlin and Tel Aviv to soften anniversary

Top German sports officials last week declared their vision of a joint 2036 Olympic bid between Berlin and Israel’s Tel Aviv. In an op/ed published by Berliner Morgenpost Saturday, German Olympic Association president Richard Meng and German athletics official Frank Kowalski proposed that the joint Games on the 100th anniversary of the infamous Berlin 1936 […]

The post German officials tout joint 2036 Olympic bid from Berlin and Tel Aviv to soften anniversary appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

If April Fool’s hadn’t come & gone, I would’ve said that this was the annual GB’s AF’s article. From my understanding, Berlin is always a problematic contender since it’s probably the most anti-Olympic city in Germany, if the failed Berlin 2000 Olympic bid is any indicator.

Plus, Berlin is very expensive & densely packed. I’d say that Germany would be better served in continuing to pursue Olympic possibilities with the Rhine-Rhur area since the IOC is now more “open” with regionalized plans. In addition, it also would allow for a new area of Germany to experience the Olympic Games.

"Top German sports officials"...the "German Olympic Association" is not the German NOC, that's the DOSB (German Olympic Sports Confederation). So Mr Meng might hold a nice title but not much leverage. As for Mr Kowalski, I've never heard of him, but apparently he moved away from a role in athletics to eSports. The idea alone of getting Olympics to Berlin is, as FYI righty pointed out, at least "problematic", no matter which year. And 2036 should really be a no go - of course this would push the Olympics even further down the road, mid-40s at the earliest if 36 goes elsewhere in Europe, but incompetence comes with consequences.

It's also bizarre to even entertain the thought of "hey, let's host with Tel Aviv, that'll make people forget about the centennial we are celebrating"...but empty symbolism is of course sometimes going down well with the IOC. Anyway, that idea will never materialise, so let's close this chapter and move on to other ridiculous stories.

What a weird story.

I've always thought the 2036 centenary angle is overplayed; if Germany has a strong bid lined up they shouldn't get caught up in the significance or otherwise of the number of the year. They should just go for it. Yes, the link will be made but anyone with half a brain will see that Germany isn't "celebrating" this centenary. And I would absolutely trust Germany to handle it appropriately. From what I see of Germany, no other country has done more to reconcile itself with its past in such an impressive way (to an extent which sometimes looks overbearing and must sometimes feel that way to current generations).

All that said, I'll take my lead from Germans on this. If it really is that uncomfortable then just don't host at all in that year. A joint Games with Israel would be a constant reminder of both 1936 and 1972. That's before we got into the geopolitical difficulties that an Israel hosting would bring...because, yeah, that's just what the IOC needs.

On paper, that reconciliation with the past has gone well - however there is clearly a movement of establishing far-right mindsets in centrist politics, nowadays mostly going after Muslims instead of Jews, but with the same fascist ideology. Needless to say some conservative politicians are quite keen to open doors there.

This absurd bid idea could also be interpreted as instrumentalising Jews to help a German cause. It feels really awkward and is actually being pretty much laughed off in media here.