Possible regional Vancouver 2030 Winter Olympic bid could be “a year off” according to city manager

Vancouver city staff have reported that a potential 2030 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games bid will only move forward as a regional project and will be led by the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) and not the city itself. The report drafted in November and discussed in Vancouver city council Wednesday also revealed that it is […]

The post Possible regional Vancouver 2030 Winter Olympic bid could be “a year off” according to city manager appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Whistler is quite a distance away from Vancouver, but of course it was the same distance in 2010. So I don't understand why Vancouver's bid would need to be any more regional than it was in 2010. The new venues built for the 2010 games were converted into community facilities after the winter games. But they ought to be able to reconvert them for competition use. If that isn't viable because of local politics then the bid ought to be scrapped.

If they are planning to use venues in the provincial capital of Victoria, then they ought to simply forgo hosting. The journey between Vancouver and Victoria takes more than three hours by car and ferry - too much for officials and volunteers going back and forth between the two a couple of times per day. With a border pass it's actually quicker to get from Vancouver to Seattle if there's no traffic.

I understand the need for regionalization, but people need to understand that the logistical challenges of hosting the games are already huge. At the 2010 games some volunteers in Whistler were getting back home to Richmond and Surrey at 4 AM or later after their day. Taking away several more hours of sleep means potentially going without sleep at all.

So if Vancouver and Salt Lake are the only two serious bidders for 2030/34, might the IOC also do a double-award to lock them in -- even if they are two locations in the same time zone?  I am sure NBC would be very happy with those West Coast locations.  Were that to happen, then 2038 would be the soonest Europe could hope to host again, after 2026.  

Vancouver & SLC are actually in different times zones, but still, they’re only an hour apart from each other. Albertville ‘92 & Lillehammer ‘94 were in the same time zone. So two consecutive NA Winter Olympics should be no issue, if need be. But be careful of suggesting another double-award around here, or you could be labeled of having a “double fetish”. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 3/31/2021 at 6:15 PM, Nacre said:

Whistler is quite a distance away from Vancouver, but of course it was the same distance in 2010. So I don't understand why Vancouver's bid would need to be any more regional than it was in 2010.

I understand the need for regionalization, but people need to understand that the logistical challenges of hosting the games are already huge. At the 2010 games some volunteers in Whistler were getting back home to Richmond and Surrey at 4 AM or later after their day. Taking away several more hours of sleep means potentially going without sleep at all.

But the IOC is the one pushing this now with the “new norm”. Milan-Cortina 2026 looks to be like another Vancouver-Whistler 2010 already. And then Brisbane/SEQ 2032 is going to be just as far with the Gold Coast to the south & the Sunshine Coast to the north, all for the sake of “using what you already have” so that smaller regions can be opened up to possibly hosting without supposedly building too much to host. 

I’m going to be very curious, though, how this all plays out in practice, since I remember reading about all the negative press Albertville ‘92 received from being all spread out all over the Savoie region.

Rest assured I would probably make this comment if not for a certain "other" poster :P

20 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

So if Vancouver and Salt Lake are the only two serious bidders for 2030/34, might the IOC also do a double-award to lock them in -- even if they are two locations in the same time zone?  I am sure NBC would be very happy with those West Coast locations.  Were that to happen, then 2038 would be the soonest Europe could hope to host again, after 2026.  

No, the IOC might not do that.  This whole "double fetish" needs to stop.  How many times over have I said they could do it if it make sense?  This makes zero sense.

I know the counter-argument will be that the IOC is unpredictable so don't rule anything out.  Doesn't mean an idea like this is worthy of consideration.  If the new theory driving the IOC is for them to identify a city and work with them, more likely they're doing this 1 at a time rather than what happened with 2024 and 2028 where they were working with 2 cities and wanted to reward them both.

Vancouver just hosted 11 years ago, so their interest will still likely be there further down the road.  Ditto with Salt Lake.  The IOC doesn't need to rush to lock them in and then push everyone else off a few more years.  Because why would they eliminate all of Europe (and Japan, depending on what happens after Tokyo) and kill off any possibility there could be a potential host city for 2034?  After all, how many here thought we'd be left with 2 European cities for 2026, particularly 1 of them being Stockholm who didn't seem like they'd give it another go after 2022.

11 hours ago, FYI said:

But the IOC is the one pushing this now with the “new norm”. Milan-Cortina 2026 looks to be like another Vancouver-Whistler 2010 already. And then Brisbane/SEQ 2032 is going to be just as far with the Gold Coast to the south & the Sunshine Coast to the north, all for the sake of “using what you already have” so that smaller regions can be opened up to possibly hosting without supposedly building too much to host. 

I’m going to be very curious, though, how this all plays out in practice, since I remember reading about all the negative press Albertville ‘92 received from being all spread out all over the Savoie region.

I wonder how that same bid would be received now though when more regional bids seem to be increasingly acceptable.

The problem with the Albertville plan was that it was spread out for the benefit of all the resorts in the reason for them to get a piece of the action.  Different than the Milano-Cortina bid which was set up specifically to use existing facilities, not to build new ones.  They have the alpine venue at Bormio, the biathlon venue at Antholz, the cross-country and ski jump venues in Val di Femme.  Sure they're spread out, but at least it's being done with purpose.  Athletes and media and fans have been there before, so they don't have to figure out everything from scratch for how to move people around

On 4/1/2021 at 2:15 AM, Nacre said:

Whistler is quite a distance away from Vancouver, but of course it was the same distance in 2010. So I don't understand why Vancouver's bid would need to be any more regional than it was in 2010. The new venues built for the 2010 games were converted into community facilities after the winter games. But they ought to be able to reconvert them for competition use. If that isn't viable because of local politics then the bid ought to be scrapped.

If they are planning to use venues in the provincial capital of Victoria, then they ought to simply forgo hosting. The journey between Vancouver and Victoria takes more than three hours by car and ferry - too much for officials and volunteers going back and forth between the two a couple of times per day. With a border pass it's actually quicker to get from Vancouver to Seattle if there's no traffic.

I understand the need for regionalization, but people need to understand that the logistical challenges of hosting the games are already huge. At the 2010 games some volunteers in Whistler were getting back home to Richmond and Surrey at 4 AM or later after their day. Taking away several more hours of sleep means potentially going without sleep at all.

I wouldn't call a new Vancouver bid regional at all. Most of the venues from the 2010 Games will only need minor touch ups. Reconverting the Richmond Oval or Hillcrest Centre back into venues for speed skating and curling respectively is a non-starter. Both would have to be gutted and the costs would rise quickly. Fortunately, there are solutions and none involves Victoria. Both the Langley Events Centre or Abbotsford Centre can host curling. Speed skating could easily be held at the Calgary Olympic Oval Calgary had proposed using the Whistler ski jump for ski jumping and nordic combined in their failed 2026 bid so there's no reason Vancouver could not do the same for speed skating. Besides getting the public on board for another bid, the biggest challenge I see in another Vancouver bid is where to put the Olympic Village (could UBC use more student housing?) In terms of legacy, a second Vancouver WOGs would cement Vancouver's status as Canada's winter sports capital especially for ski jumping and sliding (I expect due to budget issues that both the sliding track and ski jump in Calgary will likely be closed permanently within the next ten years).

Toronto/Montreal are working on a Summer bid. I think the COC will support this bid more so than a winter bid. There really isn't a "need" to host another Winter Olympics in Canada. 

This one would be legitimately too soon IMO.  This should be a last resort option.  2034 should be the soonest Vancouver is considered again.  Id even take Lviv/Ukraine over Vancouver for the 2030 games.  I know that my opinion means nothing, but, still.......just seems off