Commonwealth Games Cities

stevie

As for Brits in NZ...well "mate" there isn't an office or pub in the UK without the delightful strains of Aus and Kiwi accents permeating the air....

:P ...I don't think we're "mates" - "laddy boy"!

Get a grip precious!.... ???

oh i wouldn’t bother with him Ripley, he’s from “that” part of the country, NZ’s equivalent of wales.

LOL! I've never come across this kiwi before...I obviously struck a raw nerve. I always find Kiwis to be chilled and sensible people usually.  :)

yeah, usually

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...watch ya mouth fudge packer.

like i said "that part of the country"

What a knob....  ???  We'll stick to fudgepacking and just hope that the sheep keep him busy.  :;):

...watch ya mouth fudge packer.

like i said "that part of the country"

What a knob....  ???  We'll stick to fudgepacking and just hope that the sheep keep him busy.  :;):

:D Classic

As for Brits in NZ...well "mate" there isn't an office or pub in the UK without the delightful strains of Aus and Kiwi accents permeating the air....

oh i wouldn’t bother with him Ripley, he’s from “that” part of the country, NZ’s equivalent of wales.

LOL! I've never come across this kiwi before...I obviously struck a raw nerve. I always find Kiwis to be chilled and sensible people usually.  :)

yeah, usually

:laugh: HAA I knew I'd crank you all up!  Those travel programmes and brouchers always gloss over reality!

Anyhooo  back to the (present) main storyline...

Ripley's POV is valid in that the UK MUST tie its'self to the EU and be a credible challenger to a stronger Germany.

Considering that the latter country has slowly taken over the running of Europe and bought out most of the USA's car industry, the UK needs to focus on the continent.  Alot of people around the world are amazed at the continuing demise of the strength of the Royal Navy (now down to one carrier on station), RAF, Army... Yet still expect the UK to jump in with the same might and strength (as if nothing's changed) to save the day.   Case in point, Zimbabwe, the UK is expected to do something, yet the country that could help best, South Africa, still sits on it's hands.

The USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand can stick up for themselves...It's just that the cultural ties that bind us together originated from England, and the most versitile language in use is English!

We don't have to live in the same house, but as cousins, we can all come together now and then to celebrate our family AND diversity.  Hence the Commonwealth Games.

I agree with Alex that the Commonwealth Games is a way to celebrate our family and diversity.

It would be a dishonour to scrap the whole Commonwealth idea since many here in Canada has died to protect our beliefs and tradition to be part of the British Empire (War of 1812).

Plus the Games is used as a warm up for the Olympics so it helps in medal standings as well.

yeah, usually

:laugh: HAA I knew I'd crank you all up!  Those travel programmes and brouchers always gloss over reality!

Anyhooo  back to the (present) main storyline...

Ripley's POV is valid in that the UK MUST tie its'self to the EU and be a credible challenger to a stronger Germany.

Considering that the latter country has slowly taken over the running of Europe and bought out most of the USA's car industry, the UK needs to focus on the continent.  Alot of people around the world are amazed at the continuing demise of the strength of the Royal Navy (now down to one carrier on station), RAF, Army... Yet still expect the UK to jump in with the same might and strength (as if nothing's changed) to save the day.   Case in point, Zimbabwe, the UK is expected to do something, yet the country that could help best, South Africa, still sits on it's hands.

The USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand can stick up for themselves...It's just that the cultural ties that bind us together originated from England, and the most versitile language in use is English!

We don't have to live in the same house, but as cousins, we can all come together now and then to celebrate our family AND diversity.  Hence the Commonwealth Games.

I really don't think anyone around the world is under any illusions that the UK has the military strength to unilaterally conduct a war or conflict on its own....that's why we use the USA or at least the threat of the USA through NATO. So do Aus and NZ through bi lateral agreements to protect their interests....so that hopefully that puts your "poodle" comments in to perspective a bit.

Every major country, except the USA and China, has cut military spending since the end of the cold war....thats not news....the fact is that we can't afford to maintain a large fleet of aircraft carriers....and the public would not want it. In the same way that NZ has ditched is entire airforce.

Despite that I would still expect the UK to contribute towards defending Australia and NZ or Canada if they were attacked....not bacuse of the Commonwealth...but because they are natural allies....like Germany and France are. However there is a limit to what the UK could do and I think every reasonable person would recognise that in todays world.

Your comments about germany are interesting since it is France and not Germany that holds the balance of power in the EU. Germany for its size is a poltical weakling due to its history and its resulting reluctance to project its economic power using politics. There is no sense at all that Germany is dominating Europe in a way which is a threat to other countries interests and to be fair they are not trying to. They certainly have no military might to protect their interests.

Germany is the largest country in Europe in terms of the size of its population and the total size of its economy. However, when it comes to wealth it has fallen behind the UK because the UK economy has been growing a lot faster over the last 5 years.

There is no doubt that Germany is a leading manufacturing country....but building cars does not make you a world power alone. The UK is a world leader in different areas which are perhaps less tangible because they are service based eg banking, insurance and petro-chemical/ pharmaceuticals. The UK is not trying to challenge Germany in that way at all....if anything is is trying to challenge the French dominance of the EU and is using the current weakness of the French economy as an oppertunity to do this.

• 3 weeks later...
Now that London has the 2012 Olympic Games, where will the money come from to put the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games bid? Never mind that England may pursue a World Cup bid, too.
Now that London has the 2012 Olympic Games, where will the money come from to put the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games bid? Never mind that England may pursue a World Cup bid, too.

Glasgow won't get the Commonweath, methinks. It'll go to Canada instead, I should think.

Glasgow won't get the Commonweath, methinks. It'll go to Canada instead, I should think.

Well, it seems that the Glasgow bid will go ahead, judging by this BBC article:

Commonwealth Bid 'Up And Running'

I'm supporting Glasgow all the way. Canada had the games in 1994, only 20 years between ’94 and ’14. Scotland last had them in 1986. and Glasgow also has better sporting venues.
Depending on which Canadian city will get the nod to go against Glasgow here, this could be the race for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
Depending on which Canadian city will get the nod to go against Glasgow here, this could be the race for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

My understanding is that five cities have thrown their hat in the ring, or at least are doing the feasibility studies required, and that's just to get the Canadian nomination - Halifax in the east, Hamilton, York and Ottawa in Ontario and Calgary in the West.

So far only Hamilton and Halifax have a budget and council support.

Ottawa just set up a budget but needs to get it approved by city council.

Calgary and York hasn't created a budget yet nor have council support.

This is a snippet of NZOC’s head Barry Mister’s  article in NZ Olympic Magazine. It hints towards a NZ Commonwealth Games bid.

While there may well be an element of trying to upstage Sydney 2000, the end result will benefit every athlete fortunate to make the team. New Zealand could learn so much from the Australians’ commitment to sport as a major shaper of the nation’s psyche. Their Government’s commitment to sport in general and to the 2006 Games in particular is enormous, and the Victorian State Government’s major event strategy ensures that the public appetite for top-level sport continues to be met, and the city’s supporting infrastructure is continually being upgraded. New Zealand has a lot to learn in this regard. Maybe the process we are currently working through regarding a possible future New Zealand Commonwealth Games bid will test our commitment in this regard. The number of likely competitors in a bid to follow Delhi 2010, is impressive – a further sign of strength in the movement. The rising expectation levels and demands from the participating nations on the host countries will not make it easy for smaller countries to secure future Games, but I believe the current bid-investigation process that NZOC and SPARC are going through is absolutely necessary to let us know where we stand.
My understanding is that five cities have thrown their hat in the ring, or at least are doing the feasibility studies required, and that's just to get the Canadian nomination - Halifax in the east, Hamilton, York and Ottawa in Ontario and Calgary in the West.

When you have the western half of Canada already hosted 3 of the 4 Commonwealth Games in Canada since its inception in 1930, there is mounting pressure to give the eastern half to get its chance.

So far only Hamilton and Halifax have a budget and council support.

Ottawa just set up a budget but needs to get it approved by city council.

Calgary and York hasn't created a budget yet nor have council support.

In Calgary's case, it was a shock for me to see the Calgary Hearld article initially. Like, it came out from the blue. Even all of City Hall got caught off-guard by the news.

This is a snippet of NZOC’s head Barry Mister’s  article in NZ Olympic Magazine. It hints towards a NZ Commonwealth Games bid.
While there may well be an element of trying to upstage Sydney 2000, the end result will benefit every athlete fortunate to make the team. New Zealand could learn so much from the Australians’ commitment to sport as a major shaper of the nation’s psyche. Their Government’s commitment to sport in general and to the 2006 Games in particular is enormous, and the Victorian State Government’s major event strategy ensures that the public appetite for top-level sport continues to be met, and the city’s supporting infrastructure is continually being upgraded. New Zealand has a lot to learn in this regard. Maybe the process we are currently working through regarding a possible future New Zealand Commonwealth Games bid will test our commitment in this regard. The number of likely competitors in a bid to follow Delhi 2010, is impressive – a further sign of strength in the movement. The rising expectation levels and demands from the participating nations on the host countries will not make it easy for smaller countries to secure future Games, but I believe the current bid-investigation process that NZOC and SPARC are going through is absolutely necessary to let us know where we stand.

:) Read that artical as well...

It's easy to say that NZ will not bid within the next two rounds.  2022 has always been my longshot hope.

I would be surprised if Wellington is the main candidate city to host it, where as Christchurch would have overtaken Wellington in Population standing by then and Auckland would FINALLY have a fully intergrated transport network.

Watch this space...

:) Read that artical as well...

It's easy to say that NZ will not bid within the next two rounds.  2022 has always been my longshot hope.

I would be surprised if Wellington is the main candidate city to host it, where as Christchurch would have overtaken Wellington in Population standing by then and Auckland would FINALLY have a fully intergrated transport network.

Watch this space...

I think it will all come down to the 2011 Rugby World Cup bid. If we get the world cup then we can kiss a Commonwealth Games bid goodbye. But if it fails there is a big chance we could see a bid from NZ for 2014 or 2018.

I got this email from Barry Mister

An independent report into the feasibility of NZ staging a future Commonwealth Games has been commissioned by NZOC and SPARC

This is currently being evaluated and reworked

I personally think it is more likely the Games will be in the northern

hemisphere in 2014, but sometimes you have to bid more than once to get

noticed!

No decision has yet been made to bid, or whether NZ has in fact the

actual capability to do so

Barry Maister

I think it will all come down to the 2011 Rugby World Cup bid. If we get the world cup then we can kiss a Commonwealth Games bid goodbye. But if it fails there is a big chance we could see a bid from NZ for 2014 or 2018.

I got this email from Barry Mister

An independent report into the feasibility of NZ staging a future Commonwealth Games has been commissioned by NZOC and SPARC

This is currently being evaluated and reworked

I personally think it is more likely the Games will be in the northern

hemisphere in 2014, but sometimes you have to bid more than once to get

noticed!

No decision has yet been made to bid, or whether NZ has in fact the

actual capability to do so

Barry Maister

:) Yeah true...

Even the Government favours the RWC for logistics costs.

If Emirates Team New Zealand win the Americas Cup, that lands the 2011 defence in March on top of the Cricket World Cup if NZ is allowed to joint host.  Placing New Zealand's profile nicley for the RWC.

And hey guess wot?... it's an election year!

And wouldn't you know it?...it's the 2018 CWG candidate city selection year!!!!

Points to ponder!!!  :ooh:

• 1 year later...

Well, well, well. The Commonwealth Games has its "international" youth version, compliments of the next one which will take place next year in Pune, India.

Guess what? Jacques Rogge has seemed to have announced that the IOC will follow the Commonwealth example and have one of its own. There's talk about starting one for 2010 and I can only assume that it will go with the SUMMER schedule. Seriously, that could be difficult for me to fathom. First, what age group would the IOC accept as "youth" here? We got those as young as 15, that I know of, that did or will compete in the Olympic Games. Will that mean the minimum age limit to enter the Games have to be changed again? If that is the case, then what about the various international MASTERS Games? Will the IOC delve into that, too, in some future date?

Link: BBC: Rogge Wants Youth Olympic Games

_41966786_rogge203.jpg

I guess the moment of truth could come out about this in April at Beijing for the IOC Executive Board meeting.

Archived