Commonwealth Games Cities

stevie

Nigeria? I don't know. Some CGF members most likely have some prejudices against it.
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nigeria? I don't know. Some CGF members most likely have some prejudices against it.

I'm not sure about Nigeria either _ though that could just be the prejudice of stereotype.

I always thought, though, that what Capetown would have had overwhelmingly in its favour was that Africa by far makes up the biggest voting bloc within the Commonwealth Games Federation and that this bloc should have been able to get Capetown over the line comfortably. There really isn't any reason that this shouldn't happen also with Nigeria (though I also think that a Nigeria bid would also be subjected to more than just the usual scrutiny of the technical aspects of its bid).

I'm not sure about Nigeria either _ though that could just be the prejudice of stereotype.

I always thought, though, that what Capetown would have had overwhelmingly in its favour was that Africa by far makes up the biggest voting bloc within the Commonwealth Games Federation and that this bloc should have been able to get Capetown over the line comfortably. There really isn't any reason that this shouldn't happen also with Nigeria (though I also think that a Nigeria bid would also be subjected to more than just the usual scrutiny of the technical aspects of its bid).

Never mind the word "overdue" with some of them, regarding the Commonwealth Games and Canada. Don't ask me why I came up with that, but I get that feeling.

Never mind the word "overdue" with some of them, regarding the Commonwealth Games and Canada. Don't ask me why I came up with that, but I get that feeling.

If we're talking "overdue", the same could be said of New Zealand and indeed, of Africa as a whole.

It's pretty clear, though, that the CGF is looking to spread the games beyond the old Commonwealth club of four _ UK, Canada, Australia and NZ. And that could well work against Canada's and NZ's 2014 plans. But then again, with 2010 in Delhi, another "new frontiers" game straight after may be seen as too much of a risk. In which case they may play it safe for 2014 and Nigeria/Africa may be in the box seat for 2018 (assuming Delhi goes off successfully).

If we're talking "overdue", the same could be said of New Zealand and indeed, of Africa as a whole.

It's pretty clear, though, that the CGF is looking to spread the games beyond the old Commonwealth club of four _ UK, Canada, Australia and NZ. And that could well work against Canada's and NZ's 2014 plans. But then again, with 2010 in Delhi, another "new frontiers" game straight after may be seen as too much of a risk. In which case they may play it safe for 2014 and Nigeria/Africa may be in the box seat for 2018 (assuming Delhi goes off successfully).

That's true. Too bad, though, that Guyana isn't thinking about pursuing a bid for the Commonwealth Games. I think it is the only Commonwealth country that is based in South America.

But, it would be great if a Caribbean country and city can take the chance again to bid and host it, like Kingston 1966.

After Santo Domingo in in 2003 for the Pan Am Games, i highly doubt any body would want to go to the Caribbean unless its clear the games will be in March or April.

Nigeria will not win, Nigeria is too risky of a country and it still has a lot of enternal fighting between the Muslim and Christain states.

2014 could go to Canada, NZ just 8 years after Australia, nah.

2018 could go to Africa

2022 NZ

2026 UK

Halifax considers Commonwealth Games bid  

Halifax regional councillors will consider a staff recommendation to bid for the Commonwealth Games in 2014.

The Games are the third largest multi-sport event in the world, attracting about 6,000 athletes and officials.

In their recommendation to council, municipal staff say winning the bid would mean better sport facilities. They also estimate the Games would have a $450-million impact on the economy.

Council will consider the idea to join forces with the province and go after the Games on Tuesday.

If approved, the municipality has until July 22 to submit a letter of intent to Commonwealth Games Canada. The deadline for formal submissions is Nov. 1, and includes a $5,000 deposit.

---------------------------------

Looks like 2010 domestic Commonwealth Games bid all over again. Came down to Hamilton vs. Halifax, Hamilton ultimately won that bid, mostly due to the fact Hamilton already has most of the sport facilities needed to host the event. Whereas Halifax will literally have to build all new sport facilities.

Looks like Glasgow bid is in serious trouble now that London won its 2012 Olympic bid.

Seems like Canada’s bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games is a front runner by miles.

Article from todays West Australia

"Dome To Go. Events On Horizon"

Down the freeway, through the “PollyPipe” and straight on until Burswood, Delta is in town and ticket seem to be the cold fish of the occasion. After poor sales to Delta’s Australian tour, the Kerry Packer owned Burswood Dome will no longer be Perth’s landmark on the World Event Tour.

After the final word is sang this Saturday night, the Dome will no longer be home to some of Perth’s more prestigious events, including the Hopman Cup and International Expos. The financially ravaged venue’s fate is yet to be decided but it is understood, Packer, Australian billionaire, intends to sell the venue back to the state government……..

…After Mirvac Fini bailed on the project five months ago, the contract is likely to go to Perth construction giant Multiplex. Along with the Gallops governments $50million pledge, the construction of 2 new multipurpose venues in Perth is set to get underway within the next three years. It is understood 2 new 12,000seat venues will be constructed next door to the State Tennis Centre in Burswood and on the old Entertainment Centre site, lingering between the CBD and Northbridge.

To coincide with the developments, State Treasure, Eric Ripper, also announced extra funding will be issued to the West Australian Institute to develop Aquatic facilities around the current Challenge Stadium…..

….The town of Cambridge, currently in tussle with Planning Minister Alana McTiernen, is also set to redevelop the Perry Lakes Stadium site which will resolve in a new 30,000seat athletics stadium in AK Reserve by 2010. ………..

…………Do these developments open a new door on the international stage for Perth?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Redevelopments by 2012

-Subiaco Oval expanded to 50,000seats (possible main stadium)

-Members Equity Stadium expanded to 30,000seats (Rugby 7’s venue)

-Perth Entertainment Centre redeveloped 11,500seats (Indoor Stadium)

-Burswood Complex Redeveloped 12,000 (Indoor Stadium)

-Perry Lakes Redeveloped to 30,000seats (Athletics Stadium)

-New Aquatic Venues at Challenge Stadium 4,000 (Aquatics)

-Perth Hockey Stadium expansion 8,000seats (Hockey venue)

-Kings Park Tennis Centre redeveloped 5,000 (Outdoor amphitheatre)

-Possible new stadium to be built at Belmont Park (60,000seat AFL Ground)

I don't like the idea of a seperate main stadium and athletics stadium and why does Perth need two 12,000 seat indoor stadiums? Doesn't seem to be sustainable to me.

I dont see the logic either..

I believe the Burswood complex would be more of a sports precent and indoor sporting stadium.

The Wellington Street/CBD complex would be more of a convention centre with more like 10,000seats.

It would all depend on how the state government reacts to the Subiaco conflict... My prefered option would be to bulldoze the WACA and Subiaco Oval and sell the land of to residential renewal...Its estimated that the land of both could go for around $70million, prime property indeed.

Then a new 60,000seat AFL stadium constructed at the Belmont Racecourse (near Burswood, soemthing like Telstra Dome) that could host AFl, Cricket, Athletics and large rugby matches.

Yeah Subiaco is looking very tired, and the WACA just doesn't get enough usage. Aren't they expanding Subiaco at the moment - extending the 3rd tier all the way around that end of the ground - the renders show that it looks like a very lop sided stadium - i think the capacity is supposed to be 50,000 thousand once that's completed.
Yeah Subiaco is looking very tired, and the WACA just doesn't get enough usage. Aren't they expanding Subiaco at the moment - extending the 3rd tier all the way around that end of the ground - the renders show that it looks like a very lop sided stadium - i think the capacity is supposed to be 50,000 thousand once that's completed.

Yes. thats the "long term plan" propsed by the Government.

With the Eagles membership buldging to almost 43,000 (more then Subiacos capacity) it is unlikely the extra 8,000seats will be worth while...Still, this is the only option that can be achieved within the next five years.

I think something Telstra Dome like will be achieved out at Belmont...Though from what i understand Multiplex has proposed something Reliant Stadium like... a tall compact stadium built on the Subiaco site.

Is anyone going to take a stab at what will happen to Glasgow's bid now that London won its 2012 Olympics?

Will it force Glasgow to pull out of its bid?

I doubt it would pull out. If Australia can host the Olympic Games in 2000, Rugby World Cup 2003 then 2006 Commonwealth Games I'm sure the UK can host the 2012 Olympics then 2014 Commonwealth Games.

Besides, In the commonwealth games Scotland is its own country.

But doesn't Glasgow require money from London to support it's bid, you know as Scotland being part of the United Kingdom.

Yes, but Scotland has it's own government in Edinburgh

Well yea but you just can't fund a Commonwealth Games with two levels of government. Gotta get the funding from the federal government as well. Usually the feds are the one that pork out the big money.

I don't really understand how it works in the UK. Back when Edinburgh hosted 86 Games didn't they get funding from London? Isn't it sort of like Scotland being a state or province and London is the capital?

Of course, there would have to come some funding from the national government for a Glasgow games (though Thatcher was brutally reluctant to give any money for the Edinburgh 86 Games, which led to all sorts of problems).

But when it comes to host labelling, home teams etc, the UK is divided up separately into not just England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, but also Isle of Man, Jersey, Guersney etc etc, and each compete in their own right.

Scotland is a country within a country. Even if they need funding from the national government in Edinburgh, I would believe the bulk of it would come from the Scottish government. They have made large finical contributions to projects in Glasgow like the Scottish Convention and Exhibition Centre, to new large sports arenas and the Queens Docklands revitalization.

LONDON 2012, Glasgow 2014?  Possible as the UK as a whole will still be in that "feel alive" mode, and London will eventualy pay for it's self.

Glasgow will need Government Funding from Edinbrugh and/or Westminster, the CWGs simply can't pull in the MASSIVE corporate sponsorship without the USA participating.

As part of the UK's future Sporting asperation plans, the 2012 games are the key that has unlocked the door and IMO, Glasgow and Hamilton are the HOT favourites for 2014.

Nigeria wont stand a chance and Wellington (and NZ in general) have no plans for the CWGs, even if NZ fails the 2011RWC bid.  Christchurch's 2018 WOGs asperations will take precident over that year.

Hamilton still has to win its bid on the domestic end for the 2014 Games. It’ll be Hamilton vs. Halifax, don’t think there’s any other interested cities in Canada. Though I believe Hamilton will win the domestic bid again. But that could just be my bias side.

I say that because the Canadian Commonwealth guys want the cheapest bid which will be Hamilton since they already have a majority of the venues. It has to be cheap because the feds can’t give out too much cash because of Vancouver 2010 Olympics and Toronto’s bid for the 2015 Expo. So they definitely are looking for the cheapest bid possible.

Archived