Commonwealth Games Cities

stevie

I don't know when, but the Games must return to Oceania at some stage in the near(when I say near, I mean near in terms of the hosting of 4 yearly events) future.

I am guessing that Africa, Canada, New Zealand and somewhere in the UK (Scotland or Wales) will be all in line for 2014,18,22, and 26.

In what order though, I do not know.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2014; Cape Town, Zimbabwe has to many troubles

2018; Canada, Edmonton possibly. I don’t know

2022; New Zealand, Christchurch of Wellington

2026; Edinburgh? Cardiff? Liverpool? Glasglow? Leeds?

2028;Signapor maybe, I don’t know… Possibly back to Australia or Canada.

:) Singapore sometime soon, could jump in early as 2018, would cut off  Glasgow if that city fails '14 to Cape Town.

As has been mentioned, NZs turn is overdue in the circut and Wellington 2022 would fit in nicely only if Christchurch dosen't host the Winter Olympics in around August/September that year.

:) Singapore sometime soon, could jump in early as 2018, would cut off  Glasgow if that city fails '14 to Cape Town.

As has been mentioned, NZs turn is overdue in the circut and Wellington 2022 would fit in nicely only if Christchurch dosen't host the Winter Olympics in around August/September that year.

Yes, but would Singapore want to falk out all that money to build venues. NOt ot mention being in a region with alot of security problems.

2014; Cape Town, Zimbabwe has to many troubles

2018; Canada, Edmonton possibly. I don’t know

2026; Edinburgh? Cardiff? Liverpool? Glasglow? Leeds?

Edmonton again, aaronaugi1? Well, I didn't know about Edmonton 1978 until much later after the event was finished. However, it could be possible.

Yes, but would Singapore want to falk out all that money to build venues. NOt ot mention being in a region with alot of security problems.

:) As a person who travelsto that city-state once a year, I can tell you that Singapore would easily handle ANY security issues that always arise when a big event like the CWGs show up. Although rivals in just about everything (like Aus v NZ) Malaysia would always assist in such issues.

As for money, Singapore is constantly working to improve it's sports facilities so it's not an issue for them.  It will be in the timing of the bidding circut. :)

With the IOC Session coming to the city-state to determine the host city of the 2012 Olympic Games, some of the IOC members from the Commonwealth countries may get some ideas for such a possibililty there.

:( One to worry about would be Pakistan.  Especially if New Dehli pulls off the CWGs spectacularly well.  They know they can never host untill the threat of terrorisim is crushed and that will take years.  Still they would want them.

As for Africa, as I have mentioned aready, South Africa would be the logical next host but I would like to see Kenya or Nigeria front up for Africa next time round.  Sad about Zimbabwe, it looks like it will never be allowed back in untill that sicko is overthrown.

:( One to worry about would be Pakistan.  Especially if New Dehli pulls off the CWGs spectacularly well.  They know they can never host untill the threat of terrorisim is crushed and that will take years.  Still they would want them.

As for Africa, as I have mentioned aready, South Africa would be the logical next host but I would like to see Kenya or Nigeria front up for Africa next time round.  Sad about Zimbabwe, it looks like it will never be allowed back in untill that sicko is overthrown.

Yes, the difficulties in Zimbabwe have fully thrown them off course for any international recognition.

Nice premonition in your signature. Maybe a bit early for Christchurch though.

I can't comment on Nigeria, but as far as Kenya's concerned, I don't think it's possible in the short-term. Having been in Nairobi, I can't see it in a position to seriously bid for a games for quite a while yet (which is a pity _ when it comes to athletics tradition, Kenya has better claims than most in Africa).

Also, security-wise, Kenya is still a bit suspect after the Nairobi/Dar-Es-Salaam embassy bombings and the Mombassa Hotel attack incidents. Even when Kenya was due to host a few pool games in the South Africa Cricket World Cup, there was a lot of angst about those matches and whether they should go ahead.

Also, security-wise, Kenya is still a bit suspect after the Nairobi/Dar-Es-Salaam embassy bombings and the Mombassa Hotel attack incidents. Even when Kenya was due to host a few pool games in the South Africa Cricket World Cup, there was a lot of angst about those matches and whether they should go ahead.

:(  Totally forgot about those incidents in Kenya.

It's such a shame that African nations are picked on by these terrorist groups, considering that most of them are Arab based.

Nigeria is probibly not much better off, however Ghana is trying it's best to stablise it's self.  It is the home of Coffi Anann.  Something different for next time?

The coastal fringes of eastern Africa are actually quite heavily muslim, from Somalia down to Tanzania (Dar-Es-Salaam means city of peace in Arabic, and Zanzibar was ruled for centuries by the Sultanate of Oman), so it's probably no surprise that terrorist groups are active there.

It's a beautiful area, though. Zanzibar is probably the favourite holiday destinatioin I've ever been to _ fine white sand beaches, crystal turquise waters, fascinating old city (Stonetown) mixing African and Arabic cultures. Aaaah, just thinking about it makes me want to go back on holidays there.

The coastal fringes of eastern Africa are actually quite heavily muslim, from Somalia down to Tanzania (Dar-Es-Salaam means city of peace in Arabic, and Zanzibar was ruled for centuries by the Sultanate of Oman), so it's probably no surprise that terrorist groups are active there.

It's a beautiful area, though. Zanzibar is probably the favourite holiday destinatioin I've ever been to _ fine white sand beaches, crystal turquise waters, fascinating old city (Stonetown) mixing African and Arabic cultures. Aaaah, just thinking about it makes me want to go back on holidays there.

:) We can only hope for the best from the rest of Africa.  South Africa will host 2014, it's a foregone conclusion and Singapore could pre-empt a Glasgow or Halifax bid in 2018.  2022 looks like the nearest date for Wellington to host.  It's common knowledge that the Commonwealth wants New Zealand to host again.

It's common knowledge that the Commonwealth wants New Zealand to host again.

Careful don't wanna choke on your own trumpet there.

:P

Australia Represent!

:) ...yeah but they do.

:D

• 4 weeks later...

:) Thank you to everyone who has taken part in this forum link.  As can be seen by the date of the last entry (mine) it has run it's course.

:ooh:  It's good to see that there is still hope for the Commonwealth Games movement even though the have been relegated to carnival status by many countries (NZ included) and some of the worlds best athletes.  

As the decision for 2014 is some three years away, it will be good to see the candidate cities slug it out with each other.  Cape Town will be the victor if it formalises it's bid and we may even see other cities drop away before the big date.

For the Commonwealth Games, it all looks good for the future.

Thank you all for this debate.

:sweet:  THIS FORUM IS NOW CLOSED   :sweet:

Closed? Can you do that. i think not.

Btw. Capetown i dont think will win as briskly as everyone thinks. The Commonwealth Games (like the Olympics) dont always go ot the most technical bid city.

:angry: I opened it, I close it!

It's time to focus on Melbourne!!!

Btw. Capetown i dont think will win as briskly as everyone thinks. The Commonwealth Games (like the Olympics) dont always go ot the most technical bid city.

focus on melbourne? two years of focusing will chew alot of thoughts

• 4 months later...

focus on melbourne? two years of focusing will chew alot of thoughts

Just make sure they (Melborne) get it right!

• 2 months later...
Well, will there be calls for Kingston to host the Commonwealth Games again? Even though the BBC has made the article that a Jamaican now holds the men's 100m world record, the record itself is still under scrutiny. But, if the record does stand, then some people may start talking about another Caribbean Commonwealth Games in the near future.

Well, will there be calls for Kingston to host the Commonwealth Games again? Even though the BBC has made the article that a Jamaican now holds the men's 100m world record, the record itself is still under scrutiny. But, if the record does stand, then some people may start talking about another Caribbean Commonwealth Games in the near future.

:( I'd be iffy on the idea as Kingston could barely hold the Netball World Cup inside their only indoor stadia.

I know that they sort of don't need one in their weather but facilities will have to be massively upgraded to cope.  Including poersupply and broadcasting access.  For the netball, it was just deplorable.

Yesterday in Hamilton it was announced that Ron Joyce will donate $10 million to build a new stadium at McMaster University. Going to be called Ronald V. Joyce Stadium. Ron is one of the founders of Tim Hortons, big coffee and doughnut chain in Canada and USA.

But anyways here's a quote from today's Hamilton Spectator

A consultant hired for the project says the changes will make Hamilton a drawing card from a sports tourism perspective.

"We've been working with (Tourism Hamilton executive director) David Adames, (culture and recreation director) Bill Fenwick and others downtown to ensure that the facility we're building will really have an impact to our community," she said.

"We are looking to draw a lot of events into out community."

Tourism Hamilton executive director David Adames said the stadium will boost tourism to the city, particularly in the hospitality industry, and help Hamilton create a winning track record for hosting world stage sporting events.

"You can't overstate the importance of quality facilities...It's critical to the bidding process and dictates the events we go after," Adames said.

What's really important is to build our capacity at different levels to bring in bigger events. If we were to run provincial and national championships at McMaster, we build a reputation, a volunteer database, and expertise in event execution."

David Adames was I believe vice president of Hamilton's 2010 Commonwealth Games bid. This stadium and sport complex next to it was under Hamilton's bid. Good to see it's being built even though we lost.

But other than that it's apparent David Adames wants Hamilton to host big sporting events in the future and assuming he was in charge of Hamilton's 2010 bid he definitely will be interested in making another Commonwealth Games bid.

Ronald V. Joyce Stadium

34.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Cape Town will no longer be bidding for the 2014 commonwealth games but more likely for the 2016 or 2020 Olympic Games. Good Luck to Glasgow and Nigeria.....

SA supports Nigeria's bid to host Commonwealth Games

By Themba Gadebe

Pretoria - Cabinet has thrown its weight behind Nigeria's bid to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

"Government will work with regional and continental bodies to ensure that Nigeria's bid in this regard succeeds," Cabinet said in a statement yesterday.

Nigeria made its debut in the Games in 1950 winning silver in the Men's High Jump competition while South Africa enjoyed participation since 1994.

The Games include global participation from member states worldwide.

Sporting codes include Aquatics, Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Bowls, Boxing, Cycling, Gymnastics, Hockey, Netball, Rugby, Shooting, Squash, Table Tennis, Triathlon and Weightlifting.

Next year, the Australian city of Melbourne will host the Commonwealth Games between the 15 and 26 March 2006. - BuaNews

Archived