Commonwealth Games Cities

stevie

I believe a new stadium is not necessary. I’m just surprised that M2006 chose to use the Melbourne Cricket Ground for every day of the athletics competition. I seriously see ANY city throughout the world selling 100,000 CWG’s athletics tickets for the entire games.

I think, like the Olympics, the Commonwealth Games need to go through a down scaling process, to make them more affordable for smaller countries, ie; Africa Caribbean.

Would the renovation of the remaining half of the MCG have gone ahead this quickly without the impetus of the 2006 CGs?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would the renovation of the remaining half of the MCG have gone ahead this quickly without the impetus of the 2006 CGs?

:) Yes, it was planned for now a few years ago and the Cricket World Cup returns to Australia approx six years time.

AFL fans and Victorians can fill it in a heartbeat, even just to watch two flies arm wrestling.  They luv attending live sport. The MCG is their Mecca  :D

:) Yes, it was planned for now a few years ago and the Cricket World Cup returns to Australia approx six years time.

AFL fans and Victorians can fill it in a heartbeat, even just to watch two flies arm wrestling.  They luv attending live sport. The MCG is their Mecca  :D

Acctually, you would be surprised on how many times it is acctually full, which mostly, isnt many. It is a big ground (102,000) at the moment.

I think it was only filled 9 times last AFL season out of a possible 30 or so.

:( If you want to see an under used purposed built Commonwealth Games stadium, check out QEII Park (1974) in Christchurch NZ.  Originally they thought of using Lancaster Park (Jade) but they needed a first class swimming facility and decided to build the whole thing out in Parklands, miles away from the inner city.  With a tacky amusement park attached, it makes a forlorn sight.

Christchurch only finished paying for the venue in 1990. Just in time to watch Auckland pull off one of the best games ever, most of the seating for Mt Smart stadium came from Brisbane's QEII park.

So although using the MCG may be a little OTT,  the savings for a one off event such as the CWGs are obvious.  

Victoria '94 shows how you can do it on the cheap and still have fun, Kuala Lumpa '98 all out for future ambitions, Manchester '04 for a preplanned other use.  

Commonwealth Games can suit anyones budget :D

:) That said, when Victoria was chosen for 1994, did anyone(apart from Canada) know where that city was?

That's why the CWGs need to keep going, if only to promote those lesser sized cities.  Halifax, Hamilton, Ottawa, etc... should be Canada's choices and leave their metropolises to fight out over the Olympics.

For the UK - Glasgow, Belfast, Sheffield, Swansea, Liverpool, are good examples leaving Birmingham, London, and Manchester the Olympics.

Australia should allow Adelaide, Hobart, Gold Coast, Carins to host.

New Zealand - Wellington, Tauranga, Hamilton, leaving Christchurch and Auckland chasing the Olympic dream.

India and Asia need to raise their hands more often.

Africa and the West Indies can only try there best.

:) That said, when Victoria was chosen for 1994, did anyone(apart from Canada) know where that city was?

That's why the CWGs need to keep going, if only to promote those lesser sized cities.  Halifax, Hamilton, Ottawa, etc... should be Canada's choices and leave their metropolises to fight out over the Olympics.

For the UK - Glasgow, Belfast, Sheffield, Swansea, Liverpool, are good examples leaving Birmingham, London, and Manchester the Olympics.

Australia should allow Adelaide, Hobart, Gold Coast, Carins to host.

New Zealand - Wellington, Tauranga, Hamilton, leaving Christchurch and Auckland chasing the Olympic dream.

India and Asia need to raise their hands more often.

Africa and the West Indies can only try there best.

Thats so true, im still convinced that Victoria is the capitol of Turkey.

1) Liverpool, Birmingham and Glasgow are the UK's biggest hopes

2) I think Perth and Sydney have a greater chance to host before any of those cities do. Maybe Adelaide and Hobart though

3) Wellington, Hamilton, and still possibly Christchurch for NZ. Queenstown also anoher chance.

4) Singapore, Nangpur, Calcatta could go for it.

5) Kingstown, Jo'burg, Durban and maybe cities like Petoria and Bloemfontein could raise their hand. Kingstown will be the obvious choice in the WI.

Jo'burg, Durban and maybe cities like Petoria and Bloemfontein could raise there hand. Kingstown will be the obvious choice in the WI.

:D South Africa will host the most, however those city's  on the high velt may be thwated by Durban and Port Elizabeth's sea level comfort.   Kingston will host again but not for a long time.  :wink:

Jo'burg, Durban and maybe cities like Petoria and Bloemfontein could raise there hand. Kingstown will be the obvious choice in the WI.

:D South Africa will host the most, however those city's  on the high velt may be thwated by Durban and Port Elizabeth's sea level comfort.   Kingston will host again but not for a long time.  :wink:

Yes, i think Durban is a veyr serious chance.

Though, i wouldnt be surprised if we saw another Kingstown CWGS in the next 20years.....

Anyway, who cares about the rest anyway, we all know M2006 will be the ebst ever. :P  well, not really. I think the last Auckland and Manchester were preety much the best i've seen.

I think the last Auckland and Manchester were preety much the best i've seen.

:) ...for me also, but with Brisbane!!! - they still have Matilda don't they, a future Olympic mascot in waiting :D  The worst has to be Edinbrugh '86, but Thatcher ruined it, so...

I think the last Auckland and Manchester were preety much the best i've seen.

:) ...for me also, but with Brisbane!!! - they still have Matilda don't they, a future Olympic mascot in waiting :D  The worst has to be Edinbrugh '86, but Thatcher ruined it, so...

Good memory! _ Yeah Matilda's still around, it's sitting as an attraction in the Wet 'N Wild water theme park at the Gold Coast. Brisbane, Auckland and Manchester would certainly be among my favourite CGs as well. And also, don't forget Kuala Lumpur _ when it comes to venues, etc, they were probably the most spectacularly accommodated. And Victoria _ I liked the twee, small town atmosphere of those games.

The CGs are still a good event that smaller cities can aspire too _ the Canadians, for example, seem to have a good attitude when choosing their hosts. Some places can be too small though _ Queenstown, for example, could possibly do a Winter Olympics at a pinch (though I still think Christchurch will be needed for NZ to get them), but it's certainly too small and has nowhere near the infrastructure to do a CGs.

As to the West Indies _ I can't see Kingston doing them again for a long, long time. What about Bridgetown or Nassau?

In any case, I hope the CGs don't have to go through overall what the IOC is going through with its Summer Olympics. Sure, they cannot be compared much to each other, but if the Commonwealth Games Federation don't adapt to what is going on in the "Commonwealth" world, then the Games will face the same problems with its older Olympic cousin.

Anyway, who cares about the rest anyway, we all know M2006 will be the ebst ever. :P  well, not really. I think the last Auckland and Manchester were preety much the best i've seen.

Melbourne's got a long way to go to beat Manchester.

For Britain, I'd say Birmingham, Glasgow and Cardiff are the most likely next hosts. I'd love to see Belfast bid for them and I'll keep championing Sheffield for them, but maybe there's a phobia of such events after the World Student Games.

Elsewhere, I'd like to see Cape Town bid before they go for the Olympics. In Oceania, what about Dunedin?

Melbourne's got a long way to go to beat Manchester.

For Britain, I'd say Birmingham, Glasgow and Cardiff are the most likely next hosts. I'd love to see Belfast bid for them and I'll keep championing Sheffield for them, but maybe there's a phobia of such events after the World Student Games.

Elsewhere, I'd like to see Cape Town bid before they go for the Olympics. In Oceania, what about Dunedin?

Dunedin? ewwwwwwwwwwnoooooooooo!!!!!!!!:shocked:

You can get a more BORING town than Dunedin.

New Zealands next commonwealth games are bound to be in Wellington. YAY wellington

Hehe, Dunedin is not *that* bad.

It is very dark, very Scottish, very gothic.

If not for the students though, yeah, it would be a tad ughhhh for the Games.

There are a few nicer places ahead of it on the future hosting ist I think.

Wellington, possibly Christchurch.

Wellington is very good at bringing all parties together to work towards gaining events for the city.

Christchurch on the other hand, has a really good sub orgaisation who works at bringing events to the city - Sports Destination Christchurch, I think they are called.

http://www.sportsdestination.christchurch.org.nz/

In Oceania, what about Dunedin?

??? Dunedin??? Never for the CWGs, sadly far to small and weather wise, too cold. A very hilly city and would need to totally rebuild Carisbrooke, Caledonian grounds, and enlarge the Moana Swimming Centre just for starters.  I have the image of Edinbrugh '86 in mind just as an example of what a Dunedin games would look like.      :oh: That said, Dunedin could host the StudentCWGs quite easily as it is a university town. (like-wise for Hamliton)

Wellington is the next NZ host and would beat off Christchurch for turns sake.  In future, Tauranga looks the next new NZ host city as it has everything going for it now.

I live in Tauranga.  :grinning:

It is a really nice place to live, and is growing really quickly. Currently, there are pretty much no potential Commonwealth venues  - really. Well, I spose with the help of alot of seating the QE2 Centre could host some small indoor event.

But it will be interesting to see how it does grow in the future in terms of sporting venues.

I live in Tauranga.  :grinning:

It is a really nice place to live, and is growing really quickly. Currently, there are pretty much no potential Commonwealth venues  - really. Well, I spose with the help of alot of seating the QE2 Centre could host some small indoor event.

But it will be interesting to see how it does grow in the future in terms of sporting venues.

:) I live nearby :) I was thinking of sometime up towards 2062.  It may have little in venues now but Blake Park, the Domain, WBF Stadium can all be future hosts.  It's just perfect for the future.

:grinning:

I live in Mt Maunganui to be exact.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about Baypark(Bluechip Stadium, I think that's its name now) .

Actually I guess with someone like Bob Clarkson in the city, there really are no limits to growth potential - it was his money that went into financing that stadium.

:) Hamilton, NZ, is or has just done a study into hosting a CWGs and has quietly put the idea to bed.  However the StudentCWGs would be a good tryout to see what can be done.  Bendigo is hosting them shortly so both it and Tauranga should watch with interest. I think the UK have taken the next one, so a plan could fall into place nicely.

:) Hamilton, NZ, is or has just done a study into hosting a CWGs and has quietly put the idea to bed.  However the StudentCWGs would be a good tryout to see what can be done.  Bendigo is hosting them shortly so both it and Tauranga should watch with interest. I think the UK have taken the next one, so a plan could fall into place nicely.

A student Commonwealth games are something smaller cities in New Zealand could aim for… Though this type of event usually go hand in hand with the real Commonwealth Games (Ie; Melbourne-Bendigo)

Maybe New Zealand could aim for both.

A student Commonwealth games are something smaller cities in New Zealand could aim for… Though this type of event usually go hand in hand with the real Commonwealth Games (Ie; Melbourne-Bendigo)

:)  If Wellington plans to be a hand raiser for 2022 CWGs then there is no reason why Hamilton and Dunedin shouldn't slug it out in a StudentCWGs bidding process within the next decade.  

It would encourage those two University cities to improve their facilities and maybe in future set their sights on the big prize.  

:D Incidently I beleive Hamilton would win as that city's population is growing faster than the NZ national average just behind Tauranga and Auckland.

:)  If Wellington plans to be a hand raiser for 2022 CWGs then there is no reason why Hamilton and Dunedin shouldn't slug it out in a StudentCWGs bidding process within the next decade.  

It would encourage those two University cities to improve their facilities and maybe in future set their sights on the big prize.  

:D Incidently I beleive Hamilton would win as that city's population is growing faster than the NZ national average just behind Tauranga and Auckland.

It doesnt take much to host a Studnet CWGs. Even the most remote city in NZ could holdthem. I believe BEndigo only has a population of something like 50,000. It doesnt take much.

Though getting thr "real" commonwealth games in NZ first could prove a hard task, especially with all new countries like South Africa wanting to how a go.

Out of interest, does anyone know how the student Com games are normally awarded. From what I can gather, it seems like Australia in general was awarded the 2004 Games, and they then handed them onto Bendigo. Is this how it normally works?

Though getting thr "real" commonwealth games in NZ first could prove a hard task, especially with all new countries like South Africa wanting to how a go.

:) The Four Country (Aus,Can,NZ,UK)rota would still apply. Remember South Africa is still on a knife edge politically and it only takes a bad season of weather to devestate an African country.  

Also pays to remember that, at the moment, it is the White population that still holds all the wealth, remove them from the equation and you just have to look to Zimbabwae for the end example.  

12 years ago you would have thought Harare would be Africa's first host city.

:(  Bye bye CWGs, bye bye Olympic dream.

Archived