Commonwealth Games Cities

stevie

:) This is a fun link to see what people think about the future of the Commonwealth Games.  I know people believe that the movement is pointless and a waste of money, but I notice that smaller cities that would never have a look in at hosting Olympics or World Cups of any sort, really like the idea of bidding. If only to improve there sports facilities.

If the Commonwealth movement survives, my favorite predictions for future 21st century hosts are thus:

Standard

2014 - Cape Town (glasgow)

2018 - Glasgow (halifax)

2022 - Wellington (adelade)

2026 - Nyrobi (singapore)

2030 - Hamilton, ont. (halifax)

2034 - Cardiff (birmingham)

2038 - Singapore (lagos)

2042 - Lagos (islamabahd)

2046 - Adelade (christchurch)

2050 - Birmingham (swansea)

2054 - Port Elizabeth (karachi)

2058 - Halifax (newcastle, aus.)

2062 - Tauranga, NZ (mumbai)

2066 - Butterworth (karachi)

2070 - Bristol (belfast)

2074 - Karachi (harare)

2078 - Edmonton (christchurch)

2082 - Hobart (gold coast, aus.)

2086 - Pretoria (harare)

2090 - Kingston (christchurch)

2094 - Christchurch (hamilton, nz.)

2098 - Swansea (edinburgh)

Some surprises huh?  

I have not included the Junior CWGs that are now held on alternating even years, I believe that universities should be central to hosting them, so lets see some predictions for those.  As for Winter CWGs, don't even go there.  

:oh:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:oops: Sorry the cities in brackets are the strongest challenger, however it is always the case of the last one standing wins!!!
I've said it before in these forums, but I'd love to see Sheffield bid in the near future.

:) Great!  com'on people, any others?  :)

Okay, here's thoughts:

2014 - Cape Town _ If they bid for it, I agree they'll certainly be the ones to beat. It's going to depend on their Olympic ambitions _ will it be a good warm-up to an Oly bid, or a needless and expensive distraction. Otherwise I would think Canada before Glasgow _ too soon after Manchester to go back to the UK.

2018 - Glasgow - As above, I think Canada (Halifax, Hamilton, Toronto) before it goes back to the UK. Again, it depends on Canada's Olympic ambitions. Still, Scotland is probably the next UK host, it's only a question of when, and I think later rather than sooner.

2022 - Wellington _ Yes, the next logical NZ bidder. Timing would be about right too.

2026 - Nairobi _ Tradition-wise, Kenya would seem a fitting African CG host. But having been to Nairobi, I think they've got a fair bit of developing to do yet before they can realistically aspire to it.

After that, timing predictions become just mere guesswork, so I'll just comment on individual cities and countries:

Hamilton _ probably _ Canada does tend to go with smaller cities rather than the big hitters (Toronto, Monteal) when it comes to the CGs. Also halifax, Edmonton, Ottawa etc.

Cardiff _ Probably Wales' best chance, though I'd like to see Swansea have a go.

Singapore _ Asia's next best chance

Lagos _ possibly, but I don't know enough about infrastructure etc to know how likely their chances are.

Islamabahd/Karachi _ Pakistan will probably want a chance if Delhi goes well for India. Will depend on the world political situation.

Mumbai, Chennai, Calcutta, Bangalore etc _ I fancy India's chances for more CGs before they get an Olympics.

Adelaide _ Along with Hobart the only two Australian State capitals not to have hosted. Adelaide will likely be Australia's next CG host in the late-2020s or 2030s. I agree that the Gold Coast is Australia's other likely prospect, but can't see Newcastle NSW in the mix.

Birmingham _ Probably England's next best chance, unless London is still thwarted in its Olympic hopes and decides to go for the consolation prize. Others could be Bristol, Sheffield, Liverpool, Newcastle

Port Elizabeth _ Seems to fit the CG host mold, but would Soiuth Africa look to Johannesburg, Pretoria or Durban first.

Tauranga, Christchurch etc NZ _ It'll be interesting to see where NZ goes next after all their big hitters (Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch) have a go. Others could be Rotorua, Dunedin.

Butterworth _ I would have thought that Penang might be Malaysia's next choice.

Belfast _ I'd like to see Northern Ireland have a go. Depends on whether a permanent peace has settled over the Emerald Isle or not.

Harare _ post Mugabe of course, and it will depend on whether Zimbabwe's economy is on the up or the downswing.

Kingston _ Hmmm. It would be nice to go back to the West Indies. Kingston's probably still the best bet, but what about Nassau, Bahamas, or Barbados?

Other possibles, though probably unlikelies:

Suva, Port Moresby, Valletta, Nicosia

:) Unlikelys also - Dunedin, Darwin, Hamilton(Bermuda), Ipswitch, Brighton are some others -nice to think of though.

But Sheffield could easly host this side of 2050.  :)

Butterworth _ I would have thought that Penang might be Malaysia's next choice.

Malaysia's next logical choice would be Penang, but instead of Butterworth, it's probably gonna be Georgetown, the state capital... but I think if it gonna be Penang, the bid should go Penang 2022 or Penang 2026, instead of Georgetown 2022 or Georgetown 2026 etc...

However, I seriously think that KL would have another go at hosting the CGs before any other Malaysian city.

:) Unlikelys also - Dunedin, Darwin, Hamilton(Bermuda), Ipswitch, Brighton are some others -nice to think of though.

But Sheffield could easly host this side of 2050.  :)

Darwin will never host, far to hot..... hotter then Athens...

Halifax, Edmonton, Capetown, Adelaide and Christchurch i think are all good choices for the event.

Cardiff, Singapore, Wellington, Hobart and maybe somewhere in India (Banglore, Dehli, Mumbia or Calcutta) i think are also good chances to win sometime in the next 50years.

Maybe London, Auckland and Sydney could steal the games away from some of the smaller cities.

Oh and Perth in 2068, 100years on from Perth 1968

For 2014 if Toronto bids and loses against Cape Town then I don't think Toronto will be making another bid again. They'll probably focus more on the Olympics by then.

So for 2018 I can see Canada hosting the Commonwealth Games. I would rather have Toronto or any other Canadian bid win 2014 Commonwealth Games and that would give enough time for Canada to bid for 2030 and the Canadian bid would guarantee be Hamilton since 2030 would be 100 years since the creation from Hamilton.

It will be great, if the Commonwealth Games return to a Caribbean nation again, like Jamaica. Or even more remote, go to South America. I do believe that there is such a country in the continent.

:) Perth '62 is what I think you mean,  saying that, Perth '68 as an Olympic venue is totally possible, it would fall in nicely after Auckland '40.

As for 2030, Hamilton would be the only choice if that city fronts up.  I don't think any other winning city would be reguarded highly if they were stolen from them... Just look to Atlanta 96 for the example.  :sniffle:

I get a bit wary when people start talking about marking centanaries of CGs or Olympics by returning to the centennial host. If you start on one it seems to me it is setting a precedent that all previous hosts want to follow (already here there's the example of mention of a Hamilton Centenary CG prompting the suggestion that England should also get a centenary games to mark its first CG hosting).

IMO centenaries are fine perhaps when they mark a big milestone like the first games of its type (Athens probably should have got '96, and Hamilton would be fitting for 2030), but after that should be avoided.

The Isle of Man is hoping to land the 2008 version of the Commonwealth Youth Games (I think there the only bidder at the moment). So I dunno if that'll hurt UK chances for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

Here's Hamilton's stadium proposal for the 2010 Commonwealth Games bid.

Commonwealth_Stadium.jpg

Stadium.jpg

Commonwealth.jpg

:down: god I so want this stadium built lol.

We still use the original stadium that was built for the 1930 Empire Games (Commonwealth Games). It's now called Ivor Wynne Stadium. But ah well it's old and out dated.

Civic Stadium in it's prime.

civic.gif

If Hamilton gets the 2030 games then I can see maybe field hockey or rugby playing at Ivor Wynee Stadium.

For 2014 if Toronto bids and loses against Cape Town then I don't think Toronto will be making another bid again. They'll probably focus more on the Olympics by then.

So for 2018 I can see Canada hosting the Commonwealth Games. I would rather have Toronto or any other Canadian bid win 2014 Commonwealth Games and that would give enough time for Canada to bid for 2030 and the Canadian bid would guarantee be Hamilton since 2030 would be 100 years since the creation from Hamilton.

If Toronto loses out to Cape Town for a CG host job in the very near future, how do you think Toronto will fare against Cape Town in the not so near future Summer Olympics?

:) Perth '62 is what I think you mean,  saying that, Perth '68 as an Olympic venue is totally possible, it would fall in nicely after Auckland '40.

As for 2030, Hamilton would be the only choice if that city fronts up.  I don't think any other winning city would be reguarded highly if they were stolen from them... Just look to Atlanta 96 for the example.  :sniffle:

I think a Auckland or Perth Games might be well before those dates.

By 2010 Perth will have a

50,000 seat Athletics Stadium

25,000 seat Athletics Stadium

20,000 seat Soccer stadium

3,000 seat Velodrome

8,000 seat Hockey Stadium

13,000 seat indoor arena

5,000 seat indoor stadium

12,000 seat Swimming Pool

2,000 seat diving pool

So to will Auckland and should have some preety impressive venues as well. I see both a possibility in the next 20years.

If Toronto loses out to Cape Town for a CG host job in the very near future, how do you think Toronto will fare against Cape Town in the not so near future Summer Olympics?

The Commonwealth Games and the Olympics are different.

For the 2010 bid the Commonwealth Games Federation "felt" it should go to New Delhi since India is the largest Commonwealth nation and has never hosted the games before.

The same applies for Africa. The Commonwealth Games Federation will "feel" like it should go to Cape Town since too Africa has never hosted the games before.

But when it comes to the Olympics it's a whole new ball game. The IOC doesn't give a cr@p if it "feels" right lol.

The Commonwealth Games and the Olympics are different.

For the 2010 bid the Commonwealth Games Federation "felt" it should go to New Delhi since India is the largest Commonwealth nation and has never hosted the games before.

The same applies for Africa. The Commonwealth Games Federation will "feel" like it should go to Cape Town since too Africa has never hosted the games before.

But when it comes to the Olympics it's a whole new ball game. The IOC doesn't give a cr@p if it "feels" right lol.

The IOC felt it was right to go to Beijing, even though Tornoto was technically superior bid....and closer to the US TV markets.

Or even more remote, go to South America. I do believe that there is such a country in the continent.

Where in SA if all are Spanish-Portuguese countries? Georgetown, GY and Port Stanley, FK are the only possibilities.

Or even more remote, go to South America. I do believe that there is such a country in the continent.

Where in SA if all are Spanish-Portuguese countries? Georgetown, GY and Port Stanley, FK are the only possibilities.

Dead on Georgetown, KRATK. However, I really don't know if the country of Guyana would be able to pull off something like this. But, the Commonwealth Games Federation has Kingston 1966 for a start for the areas in question. Speaking of Kingston, is it true that Jamaica may try again to bid for another CG?

We still use the original stadium that was built for the 1930 Empire Games (Commonwealth Games). It's now called Ivor Wynne Stadium. But ah well it's old and out dated.

If Hamilton gets the 2030 games then I can see maybe field hockey or rugby playing at Ivor Wynee Stadium.

:) When Canadians build something they build big!!!  Even if waiting 26 years for the games, Hamilton could still go ahead, remember the Rugby World Cup could still be hosted by Canada within 12 years.

At least it will not be a temporary job like Victoria's main stadium during 1994's games.  An example of being just a little too cheap.

:) When Canadians build something they build big!!!  Even if waiting 26 years for the games, Hamilton could still go ahead, remember the Rugby World Cup could still be hosted by Canada within 12 years.

At least it will not be a temporary job like Victoria's main stadium during 1994's games.  An example of being just a little too cheap.

the stadium was temporary in Victoria to keep it sustainable. There was no way for Victoria to be able to keep a 35,000 seat stadium.

the stadium was temporary in Victoria to keep it sustainable. There was no way for Victoria to be able to keep a 35,000 seat stadium.

:) Comming off the back of Auckland '90 I knew that Victoria said they couldn't top those games, but what I did notice was the Victoria games were highly enjoyable.  So do we really need to go all out for new stadia if it isn't necessary. The Melbourne Games main stadium is the MCG, with a track and field laid down for the duration.

By the way, how big was Victoria's population in '94?

:)

I believe a new stadium is not necessary. I’m just surprised that M2006 chose to use the Melbourne Cricket Ground for every day of the athletics competition. I seriously see ANY city throughout the world selling 100,000 CWG’s athletics tickets for the entire games.

I think, like the Olympics, the Commonwealth Games need to go through a down scaling process, to make them more affordable for smaller countries, ie; Africa Caribbean.

Archived