IOC have yet to engage Salt Lake City with “in-depth” Olympic bid conversations: USOPC CEO

GBModerator

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) remains early in the 2030 Olympic Winter Games bid process it seems, days after Brisbane was named the preferred candidate to host the Summer Games two years later in 2032. Salt Lake City was identified by the IOC in January 2020 as one of the three regions involved in a […]

The post IOC have yet to engage Salt Lake City with “in-depth” Olympic bid conversations: USOPC CEO appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

That’s seems strange. Why isn’t the IOC talking yet to the USOC about SLC, or any other NOC’s about it. They’re ready to award a Games over 11 years away, but a Winter Games less than 9 years from now is still muddled in obscurity. There’s at least three interested parties in 2030 thus far, so what is the IOC waiting for? Some VP to coax the “talks”. :P 

9 hours ago, FYI said:

That’s seems strange. Why isn’t the IOC talking yet to the USOC about SLC, or any other NOC’s about it. They’re ready to award a Games over 11 years away, but a Winter Games less than 9 years from now is still muddled in obscurity. There’s at least three interested parties in 2030 thus far, so what is the IOC waiting for? Some VP to coax the “talks”. :P 

Because the three that are interested are from countries they'd be fine with hosting the WOGs?  Because the three NOCs aren't headed by Coates?

10 hours ago, Karenina said:

Because the three that are interested are from countries they'd be fine with hosting the WOGs?  Because the three NOCs aren't headed by Coates?

Don’t be ridiculous with the Coates comment.

The new Bidding Rules changed 3 years ago.  Announced to the world they were, everyone knew the rules three years ago in 2018 and those rules are still here in 2021.

The biggest bidding changes in the history of the Olympic movement  -  did I say the new rules were broadcast to the world?

For instance, Brisbane has been sprinting for three years and has met all the new Bidding Rules for the 2032 Games, while the other 2032 interested bidders have barely gotten to the starting line. These are not criticisms of the other bidders but just the facts.

Nothing to do with Coates.    Any city wanting the Games, need to understand the new rules and just get on with it.

Wasted energy to post snide, negative commentary or blame John Coates or some other person or entity because your country’s bidding city is not where you want it.

Critical to a city’s chances of hosting Summer or Winter Games under the new rules is that the bidder’s own national or regional Governments supports the bid and the public in that country or region are behind the bid.

FYI:   Just because a Games is 11 years away, or 9 years away, has nothing to do with that city’s chances of getting games.

Looking at the 2030 WOGs cities you mentioned. There are big problems and reasons why at least two of these bids have stalled.

Sapporo:  excellent candidate, hosted the WOGs previously, but now hampered by the huge expense of the postponed 2020 Games, the Japanese Government will not be likely to go rushing into another Olympic Games expecially with the Japanese people so clearly now against even the postponed 2020 Games.   Two big  Is it any surprise Sapporo’s bid for the 2030 WOGs has not progressed further?  Nothing to do with John Coates.  The Japanese people don’t want to think about another Olympic Games nor does their Government.  

Salt Lake City:  excellent candidate, hosted the WoGs previously, but if they are interested in 2030 WOGs, then their chances are diminished  by the USA hosting the Summer Games two years earlier which are expected to dilute the available private sponsorship dollars.  Is it any surprise that Salt Lake City have not yet progressed a Bid for the 2030 Games with the IOC? They may end up going for 2034.  

2028 Summer Olympics USA  followed by 2030 Winter Olympics USA ?    That is very , very very unlikely to happen.  Nothing to do with John Coates.

Vancouver: again an excellent candidate, host the WOGs previously.  If decide to bid, I think they will be favourite for 2030 if they get both government and the Canadian public behind the bid.  Again, nothing to do with John Coates.

On 3/19/2021 at 8:11 AM, AustralianFan said:

Don’t be ridiculous with the Coates comment.

Wasted energy to post snide, negative commentary or blame John Coates or some other person or entity because your country’s bidding city is not where you want it.

I don’t think that Karenina was being any of those things. She merely pointed out two simple facts. That all of those three interested NOC’s indeed DON’T have a “John Coates” in their corner to catapult their bid forward. I know Anita Defrantz is a U.S. IOC VP as well, but she doesn’t appear to be thrusting Salt Lake’s case like a certain other VP did for their city. She’s also not the USOC president, either.

FYI:   Just because a Games is 11 years away, or 9 years away, has nothing to do with that city’s chances of getting games.

I never said anything about a city’s chances because of that. It’s about the *chronological order* of things - 2030 comes before 2032 & that’s just a simple fact. So if anything, the IOC should at the very least, be “taking” to some of the interested parties for 2030. The only one I could understand not wanting to talk right now is the JOC about Sapporo. Cause they have their hands full ATM with the postponed Tokyo Olympics. But the other two, there’s really no hardline excuse when they’re interested, especially in SLC’s case. Unless of course, awarding the summer Games over 11 years out & still keeping the winter Games with their usual less than 7 years leadtime, is part of the “new norm”.

Salt Lake City:  excellent candidate, hosted the WoGs previously, but if they are interested in 2030 WOGs, then their chances are diminished  by the USA hosting the Summer Games two years earlier which are expected to dilute the available private sponsorship dollars.  Is it any surprise that Salt Lake City have not yet progressed a Bid for the 2030 Games with the IOC? They may end up going for 2034.  

2028 Summer Olympics USA  followed by 2030 Winter Olympics USA ?    That is very , very very unlikely to happen. 

Disagree. The IOC nearly awarded SLC the 1998 Winter Olympics (shy by only 4 votes against Nagano), despite Atlanta having been awarded the 1996 Summer Olympics less than a year earlier at the time. The sponsorships might be a concern because of L.A. 2028, but if push came to shove, & absolutely NO one else credible wanted to host the 2030 Winter Games, the IOC would surely work with the USOC to make it happen if it means saving their (IOC’s) own hide. 

Vancouver: again an excellent candidate, host the WOGs previously.  If decide to bid, I think they will be favourite for 2030 if they get both government and the Canadian public behind the bid.  

That’s the tricky question, though, in most places of the western world today - getting the government & the citizens behind an Olympic bid. As far as the favorite status is concerned, don’t think that would work out so well for Vancouver (unless of course, no one else wants it), considering they’re the most recent Winter Olympic host in North America. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 8:33 AM, iceman530 said:

No issue with that.  I do hope it is Sapporo for 2030 so it doesnt muddy up the LA corporate sponsorship arena.  But I also worry that they will need some heavy coaxing after Tokyo not going entirely to plan.  

I expect the Sapporo bid to be scrapped following the Tokyo games. So much money has been spent and with these mega sized venues probably with only a handful of spectators, the Tokyo Olympics are headed for a major financial loss. Given that, I don't expect Japan to have much of an appetitie for spending more money on an Olympic bid so soon. I'd go as far to say the financial ramifications from Tokyo will keep Japan out of Olympic bidding for at least a decade if not more.

If the IOC isn't serious about getting Salt Lake City on the phone, they need to be.

• Like 2

NBC would welcome a 2030 WOG in Salt Lake.  At least it's already paid for.  It's LA28 and US sponsors that's the problem.  So far, LA28 has signed up Delta Airlines and Comcast (which owns NBC).  In whatever deals LA28-USOPC are negotiating for the big sponsors (amazon, Apple, Walmart, Microsoft, Goldman Sachs, Coke, Visa -- who might be stretched out for 5 years (WC 2026, LA28 and then SLC 2030), I am sure they can include variability clauses and set up deals that will be a 2-for-1 if SLC were to get 2030.)  And like the IOC paid LA something like what? (was it $550 mil or $950 mil)?) to give 2024 to Paris, the IOC can make up for whatever sponsorship shortfall will happen should it be a 2028-2030 dancecard for the US again.  I think the IOC will move on 2030 after Tokyo 2020ne shakes out; and how 2022 will also go.  

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 11:43 AM, stryker said:

I expect the Sapporo bid to be scrapped following the Tokyo games. So much money has been spent and with these mega sized venues probably with only a handful of spectators, the Tokyo Olympics are headed for a major financial loss. Given that, I don't expect Japan to have much of an appetitie for spending more money on an Olympic bid so soon. I'd go as far to say the financial ramifications from Tokyo will keep Japan out of Olympic bidding for at least a decade if not more.

If the IOC isn't serious about getting Salt Lake City on the phone, they need to be.

That or maybe the Lviv/Ukraine bid all a sudden becomes a little less wild of an idea.