Doha digs in its heels as it watches 2032 Olympic bid slip away to Brisbane

On 3/7/2021 at 1:21 PM, AustralianFan said:

Inflating a hot air balloon, that’s all they’re good for.

Sure, but that’s not the case here.

10 hours ago, FYI said:

Sure, but that’s not the case here.

so you’re saying that a conspiracy theory has actually come true?

pray tell if you have any evidence.

the musings from the computer  keyboard, or a journalist’s conspiracy theories do not count as evidence even if the journalist is from gamesbids.com

Is Coates not an IOC VP? Is he also not president of the AOC? Was he also not involved in the failed Brisbane ‘92 bid? Is he also not the one who was staunchly behind this current SEQ proposal no matter what? Those aren’t conspiracy theories, they’re all simply *facts*. So the “evidence” is in the pudding.

If anything, at the very least, all of that should be a major conflict of interest. It would be anywhere else. If it were not for Coates, & all the behind-closed-door dealings, we wouldn’t be having this “dialogue” ITFP.

Not to mention that he’s also chair of the working group for the Future Host City Commission. Talk about an additional fact that’s another conflict of interest. But yeah, nothing out of the ordinary there.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FYI said:

Not to mention that he’s also chair of the working group for the Future Host City Commission. Talk about an additional fact that’s another conflict of interest. But yeah, nothing out of the ordinary there.

Still no evidence of malpractice by John Coates.

Coates did also not vote in the recent decision by the IOC Executive Board not participate in their deliberations behind closed doors.

That you do not like the various roles he has in the IOC does not equal evidence of anything untoward nor that any IOC rules have been broken or if any crime has been committed.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FYI said:

Is Coates not an IOC VP? Is he also not president of the AOC? Was he also not involved in the failed Brisbane ‘92 bid? Is he also not the one who was staunchly behind this current SEQ proposal no matter what? Those aren’t conspiracy theories, they’re all simply *facts*. So the “evidence” is in the pudding.

The evidence is in the pudding ?

What sort of talk is that?

Slogans are not evidence, just words.

Evidence of what exactly?

What crime or rule-breaking do you think has been broken by John Coates?

If you are going to slander someone, anyone from afar, in a public forum such as this, then you need to be clear about exactly what you are accusing them of and have evidence to back yourself up.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

If you are going to slander someone, anyone from afar, in a public forum such as this, then you need to be clear about exactly what you are accusing them of and have evidence to back yourself up.

Slander? “Don’t be ridiculous”. Pointing out FACTS that in general can pose a conflict of interest is not “slander” nor being accusatory. At least I didn’t say “steal”, like the GB’s article labeled it. Which you, also from afar, slander as ‘conspiracy theories being thrashed around’ without any “evidence” to back yourself up. And no, all your confirmation bias articles also don’t count as evidence to the contrary. 

8 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

That you do not like the various roles he has in the IOC does not equal evidence of anything untoward nor that any IOC rules have been broken or if any crime has been committed.

It’s not a matter of liking or not (& obviously it’s not just me). It’s a matter of pointing out the opposite when the IOC boasted all along for the last few years about being more “transparent” going forward with their “new reforms”. Yet here we have a major decision that was all done behind closed doors, many, many years in advance. Not exactly being more transparent as they promised they would be, now is it.

That you ‘do not like’ calling a spade a spade, or at least calling out the transparency that was promised, also does not equal evidence of your ridiculous accusations.  And of course no rules were broken, since it’s *their own rules* TBW, that they can make or change whenever they see fit, to apply however they see fit. Go figure.

• Like 1

Removing the Aussie glasses would do wonders...

Maybe Brisbane really is the best option for 2032, but denying that Coates with his several hats on played an instrumental role in the least transparent Olympic bidding process of the last few decades is denying reality. Also: You can abstain from voting and still have huge influence on the other voters.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, FYI said:

Slander? “Don’t be ridiculous”. Pointing out FACTS that in general can pose a conflict of interest is not “slander” nor being accusatory. At least I didn’t say “steal”, like the GB’s article labeled it. Which you, also from afar, slander as ‘conspiracy theories being thrashed around’ without any “evidence” to back yourself up. And no, all your confirmation bias articles also don’t count as evidence to the contrary. 

It’s not a matter of liking or not (& obviously it’s not just me). It’s a matter of pointing out the opposite when the IOC boasted all along for the last few years about being more “transparent” going forward with their “new reforms”. Yet here we have a major decision that was all done behind closed doors, many, many years in advance. Not exactly being more transparent as they promised they would be, now is it.

That you ‘do not like’ calling a spade a spade, or at least calling out the transparency that was promised, also does not equal evidence of your ridiculous accusations.  And of course no rules were broken, since it’s *their own rules* TBW, that they can make or change whenever they see fit, to apply however they see fit. Go figure.

Since day 1, I have been posting about the progress of Brisbane/SEQ’s 2032 Bid and will continue to do so, both positive and negative towards the Bid, warts and all. I am not gathering evidence of anything.

So, ok, let me, get this right. You’re upset about the transparency of the Agenda 2020 bidding process?

Or are you upset that Brisbane has been selected for exclusive targeted dialogue ascpreferred bidder 11 years ahead of the Games?

Has the IOC actually make a promise about the transparency of the Agenda 2020 Bidding process?

These are just questions.

33 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Removing the Aussie glasses would do wonders...

Maybe Brisbane really is the best option for 2032, but denying that Coates with his several hats on played an instrumental role in the least transparent Olympic bidding process of the last few decades is denying reality. Also: You can abstain from voting and still have huge influence on the other voters.

Yes, absolutely, John Coates is very influential in his various roles.

So what do you believe the problem here?  What exactly are you upset about?

John Coates’ influence or that Brisbane/SEQ is the preferred Bidder or what?

3 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Yes, absolutely, John Coates is very influential in his various roles.

So what do you believe the problem here?  What exactly are you upset about?

John Coates’ influence or that Brisbane/SEQ is the preferred Bidder or what?

I'm not upset. I just point out that a) there's no transparency in the process despite the IOC pretending to learn from its past corruption and b) any neutral observer or governance expert would agree that Coates had way too many roles in all of this.

And for the record: The German bid was embarassing and it's probably fine to give Brisbane the Olympics. But this could have been achieved through a clear and transparent process as well, though apparently the IOC didn't trust its own members to take the right decision and made a fait accompli.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, StefanMUC said:

I'm not upset. I just point out that a) there's no transparency in the process despite the IOC pretending to learn from its past corruption and b) any neutral observer or governance expert would agree that Coates had way too many roles in all of this.

And for the record: The German bid was embarassing and it's probably fine to give Brisbane the Olympics. But this could have been achieved through a clear and transparent process as well, though apparently the IOC didn't trust its own members to take the right decision and made a fait accompli.

I agree that the IOC will want to learn lessons from how, when, where where the Agenda 2020 and New Norm changes have actually worked or not worked so well.

Agenda is actually being debated in the IOC Session literally as we speak.

Here is a link to one site I’ve found that is reporting or blogging on this  IOC Session: Inside the Games

Just now, AustralianFan said:

I agree that the IOC will want to learn lessons from how, when, where where the Agenda 2020 and New Norm changes have actually worked or not worked so well.

Agenda is actually being debated in the IOC Session literally as we speak.

Here is a link to one site I’ve found that is reporting or blogging on this  IOC Session: Inside the Games

Please note: "Debate" in the IOC nowadays means that Bach writes a script, sends it to the members and let them act it out with various degrees of talent.

• Like 2

It's really disappointing that Qatar insists on hosting events they are so poorly suited for.

They would be solid hosts for the Cricket World Cup; the tournament can easily be scheduled for February and most of the people living in Qatar are from India, Bangladesh and Nepal and enjoy cricket. Yet they have no interest in cricket's world cup. Meanwhile, there is no chance they would be able to host the Olympics in 40+ C heat during July. Every sport in the world would have to change their schedule to accommodate a summer Olympics held in the winter so Qatar could host.

Then again I think hosting the football world cup over the entire continent of North America is also a terrible idea, so what do I know.

• Like 1
On 3/10/2021 at 1:47 AM, Rob. said:

Yeah, can't help but feel Thomas Bach doesn't like these forums so devised a scheme to kill them off.

Thus Agenda 2020 was born.

Olympic Agenda 2020+5 was just approved overnight by the IOC.

• Sad 1

Olympic AgendA 2020+5  

15 Recommendations - click here: Olympic Agenda 2020+5

Contents
The Olympic Movement: turning challenges into opportunities .................................... 3

15 recommendations ........................................................................................................... 4
1. Strengthen the uniqueness and the universality of the Olympic Games .....................4
2. Foster sustainable Olympic Games ................................................................................ 6
3. Reinforce athletes’ rights and responsibilities ................................................................8
4. Continue to attract best athletes ....................................................................................11
5. Further strengthen safe sport and the protection of clean athletes  ......................... 13
6. Enhance and promote the Road to the Olympic Games. ............................................. 15
7. Coordinate the harmonisation of the sports calendar  ................................................. 17
8. Grow digital engagement with people  ............................................................................19
9. Encourage the development of virtual sports and further engage with video

gaming communities. ....................................................................................................... 21
10. Strengthen the role of sport as an important enabler for the UN Sustainable

Development Goals .......................................................................................................... 23
11. Strengthen the support to refugees and populations affected by displacement ....... 26
12. Reach out beyond the Olympic community .................................................................... 28
13. Continue to lead by example in corporate citizenship  .................................................. 30
14. Strengthen the Olympic Movement through good governance .................................... 33
15. Innovate revenue generation models ............................................................................... 35