Rivals vow to continue campaigning for Olympics after Brisbane singled out as sole 2032 bidder

GBModerator

Wednesday’s shock announcement that Brisbane has been chosen as the ‘preferred candidate’ to host the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games caught some rival bids off stride.  Others have vowed to continue to campaign to host the same Games on the rare chance that final negotiations between the International Olympic Committee (IOC) officials fall through. IOC […]

The post Rivals vow to continue campaigning for Olympics after Brisbane singled out as sole 2032 bidder appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

I’m starting to think that this may all be a tactic of the IOC, to get the other (potential) bidders’ (& maybe others who were just thinking about it) butts in gear if they didn’t like Wednesday’s announcement. To snap their behinds with a towel to get movin’ if they still may want the 2032 Olympics, since it’s still eleven & a half years away.

The IOC says even now that “it’s not a done deal” (yet). But in the meantime, they still can get their tentacles on Brisbane, just in case. Cuz that’s all the IOC really cares about at this point in time, in these uncertain times. The glamor factor is (finally, maybe) starting to dissipate with them, & at this point it’s about their own survival.

Plus, it’ll give them a chance to test the waters, per se, of how the people of Queensland will react at the sound of this recent news. Since the IOC is starting to learn that they can’t take anything for granted anymore, like they were so accustomed to before for so many years of Olympic melodrama.

40 minutes ago, FYI said:

I’m starting to think that this may all be a tactic of the IOC, to get the other (potential) bidders’ (& maybe others who were just thinking about it) butts in gear if they didn’t like Wednesday’s announcement. To snap their behinds with a towel to get movin’ if they still may want the 2032 Olympics, since it’s still eleven & a half years away.

The IOC says even now that “it’s not a done deal” (yet). But in the meantime, they still can get their tentacles on Brisbane, just in case. Cuz that’s all the IOC really cares about at this point in time, in these uncertain times. The glamor factor is (finally, maybe) starting to dissipate with them, & at this point it’s about their own survival.

Plus, it’ll give them a chance to test the waters, per se, of how the people of Queensland will react at the sound of this recent news. Since the IOC is starting to learn that they can’t take anything for granted anymore, like they were so accustomed to before for so many years of Olympic melodrama.

I don't think the IOC can afford to undermine its own commission and EB. Brisbane is an easy way out of what could have been a headache race with a German bid likely to fail in a referendum, Qatar, Jakarta and a Korean bid that sounds Nobel Prize worthy but could be wiped out in a minute because Kim has a mood change.

Unless there's an absolute mess going to happen in Australia, there'll be no way to get the others back in for 2032.

I think this process can be seen as their most corrupt yet (I am not implying Brisbane is corrupt)......but having a behind the scenes situation where you make a secret proposal ten plus years before the Games, it gets discussed and developed behind closed doors, then suddenly WHAM you are the preferred candidate before anyone knows....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanMUC said:

I don't think the IOC can afford to undermine its own commission and EB. 

Why not? Since when has the IOC not undermined their own ‘rules’ when it suits them.

1 hour ago, StefanMUC said:

Brisbane is an easy way out of what could have been a headache race with a German bid likely to fail in a referendum, Qatar, Jakarta and a Korean bid that sounds Nobel Prize worthy but could be wiped out in a minute because Kim has a mood change.

Unless there's an absolute mess going to happen in Australia, there'll be no way to get the others back in for 2032.

I agree on the surface. I even said the other day, in another thread, that it’s not like any of the other potential ‘32 bid cities were anything stellar, so this ‘decision’ shouldn’t be that much of a surprise. But OTOH, this is the so respectable (nowadays) IOC we’re talking about here. So I wouldn’t put anything past them anymore in order to save their own hide.

Perhaps the fact that the DOSB wouldn’t go into any talks with them, is the (or at least part of the) reason for this sudden rush of a selection process. Perhaps they also wanted to poke at the Netherlands too, since apparently there was some interest there as well. I’m not refuting that any of these two bids couldn’t have gone haywire, considering the trainwreck of European bids that we’ve seen lately. But the IOC is undoubtedly gonna want to return to Western Europe at some point. And the IOC, being like the acting politicians that they are, will try to play both sides of the coin here, & then lean in on the side that’s going to be the most beneficial to them in the end.

Plus, let’s not think for a moment that something couldn’t happen to the Brisbane bid either. It’s probably just starting to hit people over there, after the news, that the Olympics could very well be on their way to them. Cause when it comes to the Olympics these days, nothing can be taken for granted anymore, & it looks like the IOC is starting to take notice of that, & will play their cards accordingly.

27 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

I think this process can be seen as their most corrupt yet (I am not implying Brisbane is corrupt)......but having a behind the scenes situation where you make a secret proposal ten plus years before the Games, it gets discussed and developed behind closed doors, then suddenly WHAM you are the preferred candidate before anyone knows....

Maybe not Brisbane, but some people are already pointing their fingers at Coates, IOC VP & AOC president. So much for the “transparency”, right? I can ultimately understand the selection (considering most of the other lackluster bids), but at the same time, the process does seem to be a bit dodgy, especially still this far out from 2032 anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FYI said:

Maybe not Brisbane, but some people are already pointing their fingers at Coates, IOC VP & AOC president. So much for the “transparency”, right? I can ultimately understand the selection (considering most of the other lackluster bids), but at the same time, the process does seem to be a bit dodgy, especially still this far out from 2032 anyway.

And what of Doha-ha and Baku-ku! :lol:

On 2/28/2021 at 8:05 AM, TorchbearerSydney said:

I mean people really going to say this is the most corrupt after Salt Lake City? Nagano? Sydney? All the bribery scandals, free gifts, free trips, free university? 

Sorry people are mad that the obvious choice is being preferred.

I mean hey if you'd rather:

Doha - human rights abuses, 50 degree heat, slave labor, bribery scandals

Indonesia - executing foreigners

India - might want to focus on the whole poverty, lack of proper sewage, 

South Korea joint bid with a dictatorship

Shanghai - cause everyone is itching to go to China right now. Maybe Wuhan can have the closing ceremony? 

On 2/28/2021 at 8:38 AM, FYI said:

Yes cause the IOC is well known for being transparent and handing the hosting to the most deserving city and not at all behind the scenes dealings. I mean i'm surprised at how shocked people are by the IOC wanting to choose a city in the country that handled Covid one of the best. No community transmission of Covid, no deaths this year. Brisbane holds the record for the largest sporting event held since Covid became a pandemic. Now how is the UK doing? USA? Italy? And they aren't even wanting the games. What we're actually left with is Doha and a possible joint bid of South Korea with a dictatorship or hey maybe Shanghai cause as I said above, China is looking awesome. 

I mean hey, remember how me and you used to get into arguments about Doha? I'm now meant to feel sorry the Qatari's aren't singled out as the favourite because they haven't had the chance to bribe everyone like they did with FIFA for 2022? Or i'm meant to feel suspicious because the IOC want to secure a city in these incredibly uncertain times? 

54 minutes ago, Olympic Fan Darcy said:

Yes cause the IOC is well known for being transparent and handing the hosting to the most deserving city and not at all behind the scenes dealings. 

Well, that’s just it. The IOC is supposedly beyond the days of their shenanigans of the past (as you pointed out with Nagano, Sydney & SLC) with their new “reforms” & what not, & wanting to be more ‘transparent’ going forward. But yet this entire ‘new’ process was ultimately done behind closed doors. So it doesn’t seem like much has changed then, other than the format of how they perform their “new” antics now. It’s just painting them as the “usual (corrupt) IOC” from the outside.

54 minutes ago, Olympic Fan Darcy said:

I mean hey, remember how me and you used to get into arguments about Doha? I'm now meant to feel sorry the Qatari's aren't singled out as the favourite because they haven't had the chance to bribe everyone like they did with FIFA for 2022? Or i'm meant to feel suspicious because the IOC want to secure a city in these incredibly uncertain times? 

Was Doha-hah one of them (that one was for my other favorite GB’s friend :D)? There’s been so many that I guess I forgot! :P But anyway, if you were pro-Doha back then, then you should still be now. Should have nothing to do with you feeling sorry for them. They should at least be heard out by the IOC if you thought they were worthy back then. The only thing different is because your hometown is in the mix now & that’s changing your tune this time around. 

But I do agree, ultimately, the way things stand, Brisbane seems like the “safest” choice out of this lot. And I even mentioned before, that the only way I could see Brisbane being picked in a race, is if subpar bids like Doha-hah & Baku-koo (that’s for my other friend again :lol:) were the other main competitors.

Yes, the likes of China & Russia again, the “joint” Koreas’ & Indonesia, India, etc. were hardly compelling options right now. The only other bid that would’ve given Brisbane a run for its money, had they had the same level of support all around, was the German bid. But it didn’t.

But still, it feels a bit dodgy the way the IOC went about it (even GB’s had to do a long piece on it lol) when again, they’ve been touting their so-called new reforms for a couple of years now. Especially when we’re still 11 years away from 2032. I guess that’s part of the “new norm” now, picking hosts so far out (L.A. & Brisbane).

• Like 1

Agree 100%. I don't agree with TorchBearerSydney that this is the most corrupt decision yet. Let's not confuse corruption and lack of transparency. We don't know how clean or murky this decision was because it wasn't transparent. The Germans are right on this point.

Edited by Rob.

7 hours ago, FYI said:

Well, that’s just it. The IOC is supposedly beyond the days of their shenanigans of the past (as you pointed out with Nagano, Sydney & SLC) with their new “reforms” & what not, & wanting to be more ‘transparent’ going forward. But yet this entire ‘new’ process was ultimately done behind closed doors. So it doesn’t seem like much has changed then, other than the format of how they perform their “new” antics now. It’s just painting them as the “usual (corrupt) IOC” from the outside.

Was Doha-hah one of them (that one was for my other favorite GB’s friend :D)? There’s been so many that I guess I forgot! :P But anyway, if you were pro-Doha back then, then you should still be now. Should have nothing to do with you feeling sorry for them. They should at least be heard out by the IOC if you thought they were worthy back then. The only thing different is because your hometown is in the mix now & that’s changing your tune this time around. 

But I do agree, ultimately, the way things stand, Brisbane seems like the “safest” choice out of this lot. And I even mentioned before, that the only way I could see Brisbane being picked in a race, is if subpar bids like Doha-hah & Baku-koo (that’s for my other friend again :lol:) were the other main competitors.

Yes, the likes of China & Russia again, the “joint” Koreas’ & Indonesia, India, etc. were hardly compelling options right now. The only other bid that would’ve given Brisbane a run for its money, had they had the same level of support all around, was the German bid. But it didn’t.

But still, it feels a bit dodgy the way the IOC went about it (even GB’s had to do a long piece on it lol) when again, they’ve been touting their so-called new reforms for a couple of years now. Especially when we’re still 11 years away from 2032. I guess that’s part of the “new norm” now, picking hosts so far out (L.A. & Brisbane).

I mean it's hard to compare the blatant bribery from cities like Nagano and SLC to what's gone on here. I see no cities that have been screwed over that actually had a chance at hosting. I can see the maneuvering of him saying look it's an unstable time, Australia handled Covid well, pick us and secure the games before the uncertainty (like we're seeing with Tokyo) goes on for years. Because countries and cities aren't focussed on a 2032 Olympic bid right now when many are in lockdown. Brisbane though has the luxury of not worrying about it too much and can take the front foot. I mean as you point out, LA got the games 11 years before the actual event and people are suddenly outraged Brisbane could get it 11 years out like it's a first? It's pretty obvious that the 2028 decision was along the lines of, look here LA, you give up 2024 to Paris, you've got 2028.

Also, cities and countries have had the chance to express their interest in 2032, Brisbane has been on this for almost 4-6 years now, way before Covid was a thing. Doha, India, dictatorship and country that executes foreigners were our biggest threat? They never had a chance. Budapest, Hamburg and Rome had all withdrawn mid race in 2024/2024 due to opposition from citizens so they weren't exactly looking promising either. Then you have this bid from a region that beat Covid, is a first world nation, is committed to the bid, has the support of all levels of government and it's citizens. And people are shocked they get preferred status? Seriously. 

Also, I never wanted Doha to host. It was the inconsistency of the IOC saying they can't bend on the heat issue for Doha and then potentially entertaining Melbourne or Sydney as you and other posters kept pushing (guess where that ended up). Doha outranked other bidding cities in many categories but weren't entertained because of their various human rights abuses but the IOC chose a stupid issue to remove them from the race. Anyway, they were heard multiple times and the IOC rejected them, no way they can redeem themselves for 2032 anyway unless the IOC wants to officially end the Olympic Games by awarding it to Doha. This isn't my feelings of my hometown, in fact I used to say many times how Brisbane isn't ready to host the Olympics and I still feel that way. ALOT of investment and upgrades are needed for this, but, they are 100% the right choice right now. Only other place that's handled Covid better is NZ (Auckland currently in lockdown) or Singapore (someday soon?). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob. said:

Agree 100%. I don't agree with TorchBearerSydney that this is the most corrupt decision yet. Let's not confuse corruption and lack of transparency. We don't know how clean or murky this decision was because it wasn't transparent. The Germans are right on this point.

This.  All of it.  If we wind up with Brisbane, it's hard to argue that they are the best choice given most of the available options we've been hearing about.  Calling it "corrupt" is not the right word.  Calling it a lack of transparency is much more on point.

We don't know how the IOC came to this decision and they're probably not going to tell anyone.  That's not a good thing for an organization that many citizens and others around the world are questioning.  Because it throws into question the process that they used to decide that Brisbane is their preferred bidder.  Again, it's easier for us to sit here and say it was a sensible choice and what they would have wound up with even if they had a more out in the open bid process.  But now we won't know, so where the IOC's reputation is pretty shady right now (and we can be sure they'll be called out repeatedly in the next year for having chosen to award an Olympics to China), it leaves them wide open to criticism, much of which would be well deserved given their recent history.

10 hours ago, Olympic Fan Darcy said:

I mean people really going to say this is the most corrupt after Salt Lake City? Nagano? Sydney? All the bribery scandals, free gifts, free trips, free university? 

Sorry people are mad that the obvious choice is being preferred.

I mean hey if you'd rather:

Doha - human rights abuses, 50 degree heat, slave labor, bribery scandals

Indonesia - executing foreigners

India - might want to focus on the whole poverty, lack of proper sewage, 

South Korea joint bid with a dictatorship

Shanghai - cause everyone is itching to go to China right now. Maybe Wuhan can have the closing ceremony? 

If we apply the transitive law of FIFA moneybags, Doha might undercut australia.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Olympic Fan Darcy said:

I mean as you point out, LA got the games 11 years before the actual event and people are suddenly outraged Brisbane could get it 11 years out like it's a first? It's pretty obvious that the 2028 decision was along the lines of, look here LA, you give up 2024 to Paris, you've got 2028.

There actually were some cities that were miffed about that. And perhaps that’s why more noise (or outrage, as you call it) is being made about it this time by such a move, because cities four years ago had to “reset” from 2028 to 2032 (& Brisbane was actually one of those cities too). So now they’re like throwing their arms up the air having to ‘reset’ again? And by that perspective, I can certainly understand part of their frustration.

I don’t think anyone is arguing any of that. I certainly haven’t, as a matter of fact I’ve said that on the surface I agree with it (I think everyone else does to). What people are actually focusing on is how the IOC went about it without being straightforward, as they promised they would be moving forward, with again their “new reforms”. What was the rush again? Things can change, even with Australia. There’s also an argument that awarding a country the Olympics so far in advance can also be very risky. There’s still more than 11 years to go ‘til 2032. The world still dealing with Corona should’ve been a reason for the IOC NOT to rush into this, not vice-versa. 

Also, I never wanted Doha to host. It was the inconsistency of the IOC saying they can't bend on the heat issue for Doha and then potentially entertaining Melbourne or Sydney as you and other posters kept pushing (guess where that ended up). Doha outranked other bidding cities in many categories but weren't entertained because of their various human rights abuses but the IOC chose a stupid issue to remove them from the race. Anyway, they were heard multiple times and the IOC rejected them, no way they can redeem themselves for 2032 anyway unless the IOC wants to officially end the Olympic Games by awarding them it to Doha.

Well, the IOC is all about inconsistency, still even now. It didn’t end up with Melbourne or Sydney because Coates was the one “pushing” for Brisbane since day one. He’s been obsessed with Brisbane hosting the Games ever since the lost 1992 bid, which ironically enough, was given to a city where a certain IOC president pulled the strings to make it happen.

And I agree with you about Doha (I know some others don’t, though). The date issue was merely a smoke-screen to eliminate them from consideration. But let’s not pretend, however, that it was solely because of their human rights issues. The IOC obviously has no problems in awarding the Games to countries with human rights abuses, see Beijing 2008 & 2022 (although 2022 was by default), & Sochi 2014.

I just think that Doha-hah is not a big enough fish in their best interest at this time. Or perhaps the IOC is still waiting on how the FIFA 2022 World Cup plays out first before they even blink their way (again). Which, in less than a couple of years we’ll know. And certainly that still would be enough time to prepare for 2032, if the process wasn’t already settled. But then again, the IOC could still be allergic even after the ‘22 WC.

This isn't my feelings of my hometown, in fact I used to say many times how Brisbane isn't ready to host the Olympics and I still feel that way. ALOT of investment and upgrades are needed for this, but, they are 100% the right choice right now. Only other place that's handled Covid better is NZ (Auckland currently in lockdown) or Singapore (someday soon?). 

I’m glad you mention this, cause it contradicts a lot of what some of your compatriots are saying over in the Brisbane threads. That all of the investments & upgrades are needed “anyway”. But I still find it hard to imagine how a city of only 2.5 million will find daily use out of all that stuff post-Olympics (even if they grow to 3 million by 2032). Especially in a time where Olympic over-spending is put under a microscope for every possible scrutiny.

4 minutes ago, FYI said:

Especially in a time where Olympic over-spending is put under a microscope for every possible scrutiny.

..& we know that’s also not a good look for the IOC these days, either. But the IOC, looks like, will do whatever it has to in order to save their own butts, even if that could mean more tumultuous waters ahead. Picking the best option out of a bad lot can still bring trouble. Just look at Beijing 2022.

3 hours ago, FYI said:

It didn’t end up with Melbourne or Sydney because Coates was the one “pushing” for Brisbane since day one. He’s been obsessed with Brisbane hosting the Games ever since the lost 1992 bid, which ironically enough, was given to a city where a certain IOC president pulled the strings to make it happen.

that might be part of it, but ever since the IOC was instant of a July / August date it eliminates Melbourne and Sydney simply due to the weather (remember Sydney 2000 was in september and Melbourne 1956 was November / december.

He's probally more obessed with an olympics in australia and given the IOC's instance of july / august the only real option is Brisbane

I'd prefer running a Marathon at 15°C over doing the same at 40°C.

Sydney was in September because it could choose to. I don't see why an August games wouldn't have been possible for Sydney. Sure, SEQ has more pleasant weather during the winter, but with Sydney having a larger population and reputation I don't see Brisbane as the only choice. In the end it wasn't the IOC who went for Brisbane, it was Coates.

12 hours ago, munichfan said:

I'd prefer running a Marathon at 15°C over doing the same at 40°C.

Sydney was in September because it could choose to. I don't see why an August games wouldn't have been possible for Sydney. Sure, SEQ has more pleasant weather during the winter, but with Sydney having a larger population and reputation I don't see Brisbane as the only choice. In the end it wasn't the IOC who went for Brisbane, it was Coates.

The entire IOC Executive Board voted for Brisbane as the preferred bidder for targeted dialogue.

The vote for Brisbane was unanimous.....  and it’s not hard to see why.