IOC has not received Florida’s unusual request to take over Tokyo’s 2020 Olympic Games

An International Olympic Committee (IOC) spokesperson Tuesday denied that they have received a pitch from a Florida State official to host the Olympic Games in 2021 in place of Tokyo, instead reiterating a firm commitment to hold the Games in Japan’s capital July 23 as currently scheduled. On Monday Florida Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Jimmy […]

The post IOC has not received Florida’s unusual request to take over Tokyo’s 2020 Olympic Games appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

So because of Covid-19, they think it would be a good idea to take the Olympics from one of the countries that has handled the virus very well, and give it one of the worst-managed states in the developed country that has done the worst job of restricting the spread of the virus.

Next up . . . Barrow, Alaska to host the World Beach Games and Honolulu to host the winter Olympics.

Edited by Nacre

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This can't be real. Is it April 1st?

I need to get out of this joke of a country.

Does anyone in here know, how realistic it would be to move the games to another place at this point. I find it totally unrealistic! Why should a host nation then have 7 years, if it could be done in less ;)

Smaller tournaments can be changed in short notice. In december here in Denmark we took over the whole European Championchip in women handball in just 1-2 weeks notice. It was perfectly arranged (No public). World Championschip in icehockey in may this year Ukrains has been drawn out of there host. There will also be short notice for a new host. But again it is one simple venue. Not an olympic games. It seems absolute unlikely to move it! 

10 minutes ago, Hansfromdenmark said:

Does anyone in here know, how realistic it would be to move the games to another place at this point. I find it totally unrealistic! Why should a host nation then have 7 years, if it could be done in less ;)

Smaller tournaments can be changed in short notice. In december here in Denmark we took over the whole European Championchip in women handball in just 1-2 weeks notice. It was perfectly arranged (No public). World Championschip in icehockey in may this year Ukrains has been drawn out of there host. There will also be short notice for a new host. But again it is one simple venue. Not an olympic games. It seems absolute unlikely to move it! 

Not possible to move an Olympics on such short notice.  Yes, it is completely unrealistic

4 hours ago, BTHarner said:

Some people are just totally clueless. And then they actually have the nerve to make public statements which make them look totally moronic.

Well, Florida is gonna Florida.  At least this is only slightly more ridiculous than when Las Vegas went rogue and tried to submit a bid for the 2020 Olympics

Well, as unrealistic, totally clueless & ridiculous as it sounds, it’s evidently still being talked about on Faux News (of all places):

Tokyo 2020: Florida official meets with Olympic committee to discuss moving Summer Games to US

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxbusiness.com/sports/tokyo-2020-florida-official-meets-olympic-committee-moving-games.amp

What seriously stuck out in this latest story though, was how this guy said that he had “a nice visit with the IOC”, but he gave no specifics about this supposed visit (& there’s nothing else out there, at the moment anyway, about it either). And even if it was so, he did it behind the USOC’s back, which I don’t see happening at all, at least not on the IOC’s part. 

So this is nothing more than a PR stunt for a couple of reasons; 1. To jumpstart what was Florida’s mega tourism before the pandemic, which has taken a big hit. Or 2. this guy is simply trying to make a name for himself. Or 3. Both.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxbusiness.com/sports/tokyo-2020-florida-official-meets-olympic-committee-moving-games.amp

^Link didn’t work the first time. So here it is again. 

He references the "IOC chairman" in the interview.  I wonder who he thinks he talked to.  Or if the IOC knows about this?

Good to see you're out of hibernation for this one, absurd as this story is!

9 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

He references the "IOC chairman" in the interview.  I wonder who he thinks he talked to.  Or if the IOC knows about this?

Good to see you're out of hibernation for this one, absurd as this story is!

Chairman Mao, ooops sorry, Chairman Bach, I meant.

So according to GB’s newsfeed from the other day, the IOC has said that they have *not* even received this guy’s letter. So if that’s still the case, then that guy is indeed ‘totally clueless’ or just a downright liar. Me thinks a little bit of both. And he’s suppose to be the state’s CFO? lol

I’m thinking the IOC is not even recognizing the letter (if he really sent one to them to begin with) because he didn’t send it through the proper channels first, in this case, the USOC. But in the interviews he’s just going on & on, mostly rambling. He has other agendas, like most politicians do.

And lol, thanks Quaker. Like most people the past year, there have been many things to take care of. But sometimes you have to take a break from that too, to try & have a sense of ‘normalcy’ again.

50 minutes ago, FYI said:

And lol, thanks Quaker. Like most people the past year, there have been many things to take care of. But sometimes you have to take a break from that too, to try & have a sense of ‘normalcy’ again.

Can't say I blame you.  I've wasted way too much time arguing with Trump supporters for no good reason.  And yes, wouldn't it give us some sense of normalcy to have the Olympics this summer.  Fingers crossed it can happen.

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

Can't say I blame you.  I've wasted way too much time arguing with Trump supporters for no good reason. 

OMFG - don‘t even get me started on that one. You obviously have more of a stomach than I do then, cause any type of discussion with them make any heated debate (& you know there have been many big doozies here) on GB’s seem like child’s play! 

I never was big on politics before, but I remember one of my good friends telling me back in 2016 (right before wannabe despot got elected), her telling me “he would be bad, he would be really bad”, & her references to Hitler, etc, & think to myself that she’s just hyperboling. But geez, unfortunately, how right was she!!

I was gonna go on, but figured I’d just digress, especially since this isn’t the thread for it anyway. But all I will say, is that it’s no wonder why nothing ever gets done or changes in Washington. Especially when some of those so-called righteous politicians are only interested in is twat licking for their own political posturing.

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

And yes, wouldn't it give us some sense of normalcy to have the Olympics this summer.  Fingers crossed it can happen.

Yes, it would. Fingers crossed for everything else too, especially in this country. The Tokyo Olympics still continuing this summer would be a good start, but still being cautiously optimistic.

19 minutes ago, FYI said:

Yes, it would. Fingers crossed for everything else too, especially in this country. The Tokyo Olympics still continuing this summer would be a good start, but still being cautiously optimistic.

I'm trying to convince myself that this is too big of an event to not happen, but I look at the state of the world and wonder how they can expect to have an Olympics.  Hopefully progress is made with vaccinations and other measures, and then at least they can hold something resembling the Olympics, even if it has to be a scaled down version.  Which would obviously suck big time for Tokyo, but as we've heard too many times over, it's probably either 2021 or bust for them