14th Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Design Competition

IIIIIIT'S CHRIIIIIIIIIISTMAAAAAAAAAS!

*Spoiler - actually there's still 3 weeks left, but this year we need all the fun we can get...

Yes, here we go again - thanks to a perhaps toxic combination of hope, naivety, denial & boredom, we begin the best-loved of all of GB's one Advent rituals - THE 14TH ANNUAL GAMESBIDS OLYMPIC LOGO COMPETITION! Because if it's going to die, it's damn well going to die trying :P. But let's hope it doesn't - and to help, I've slimmed the beast down a bit. Instead of the two-cities-each format of the last few years, this time it's simple, hopefully easier to understand, easier to take part in, & easier to compare designs - because it's just the one summer, one winter, one winner for each. Shall we meet our terrible two?

SUMMER 2032: BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA

Skyline

The home of our comp's founding Pikachu, and probably going to be home of Australia's third Olympic Games in 2032, Brisbane has found itself at the centre of what discussion GB's had this year. With a possibility that the hosting deal might be signed, sealed, delivered as soon as next year, the chances of your design accidentally landing up on a badly researched TV news report has never been higher, so what more incentive do you need? Can you make a design for Brisbane 2032 that John Coates would be proud to stand in front of?

PS: As we don't know whether the games will be officially referred to as Brisbane, Brisbane-Gold Coast, SEQ, Matilda or what, for this comp we will call it Brisbane.

WINTER 2026: MILAN-CORTINA, ITALY

Clockwise from top: Porta Nuova, Sforza Castle, La Scala, Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, Milano Centrale railway station, Arch of Peace and Milan Cathedral.

I know this was the subject of the attempted lockdown comp, but as that failed, we'll try again - just this time when people expect a logo comp to happen. This one is a Games that will actually happen, & that if current trends are an indicator, will be out-of-comp-bounds next December. Milan is renowned worldwide as a global capital of style, which makes their bid logo seem even more awful - surely GB can do better? Who knows, their organising committee might even be looking for ideas for the real thing. Again, what more incentive do you need? Can you make a design that'll look good on the President's official Ferrari?

PS: Although we don't know what they'll officially call it, Milan Cortina is on the bid logo, so we'll assume that'll be staying.

RULES & STUFF

We are, as ever, after logos that encompass the overall feel of the city and local influences that can be tied into a design concept. How can any of these cities articulate graphically what they could bring to future Olympics hosting? What flavour will they bring to the games? Will it inspire any of these to actually bid for the damn thing? 

The logos should be presented as full colour designs on white background. If you like, however, they can also be presented in black and white or utilised in forms like street banners, t-shirts, apps, vehicles, pins etc. For voting purposes, the main (colour) logo will be used on the polls, & extra stuff is not obligatory, but any extra material you produce may help you “sell” your design better to the wider GamesBids voting membership. 

These logos are for the cities as they HOST the games. So you CAN use the rings, and don't need to include the words “Candidate City, Olympic Games 2032” or whatever the IOC want this week. And Milan is obviously host anyway.

Please post your preliminary submissions on this thread. If you want to hold anything back to be presented as a “surprise” when voting starts you can contact me or Rols via PM and I'll tell you where you can send the extra material. However, it would be nice to see as many on-thread submissions as possible for people to chew over in-thread, & to try & get the old buzz back. We can hope, right?

You can submit logos for either or both cities. However, you cannot enter more than one logo for the same city (see below). So entering one logo for each is fine, but two logos for Brisbane, say, is not fine. You are able, encouraged even, to enter both 'sides' of the comp.

Feel free to post as many logo designs as you like, & to ask for feedback from our famously discerning electorate. If you really can't decide between your own designs for a city, feel free to start a poll (or to ask for one to be started). When the time comes for voting, however, you will be asked to settle on a maximum of ONLY ONE official logo per city as your official entry. 

The format depends on the numbers. Most likely, it will be the traditional exhausting exhaustive ballot preferred by the IOC, but if numbers fit & opinion ok, we may have the World Cup-style tournament system. Whatever happens, the winter & summer 'halves' will be entirely separate, there will be two winners in the Olympic comp tradition. 

The competition is open to all members of GamesBids, or to any new legitimate members who join before the end of the submission period. I, with consultation, will rule on the legitimacy of new members.

As you would expect, I will rule on any disputes - always aiming to be as fair as possible in the process. As always, just remember, this is all meant to be fun. Olympic spirit, remember?. 

Hopefully this will spark up some action on the board. I'll be dipping in, keeping a close eye on things, but otherwise will try and keep my green yoshi-paws off until the polling stages.

The deadline for submissions is 1pm London time (that is, midnight in Sydney, as per tradition) on NEW YEAR'S EVE, 31 DECEMBER 2020. Thus, GB will begin the Olympic year (can it actually be one this time?) 2021 with the voting.

And this is just to alert @Rob. to the existence of the new comp in the hope that he'll do his traditional bit of putting up links to various free design programs etc for the benefit of those who want to take part but may not have the facility at the moment.

All that is left to say is thank you Rols once again, and to all participants for having the guts to put your logos up for the annual GamesBids dissection, & may the best logos win - GOOD LUCK! :)

• Like 1

Since the update sadly didn't bring status updates back (grumble...), this is still the only way to promote the comp to members...

@paul @JDCLauron @Glacib @daveypodmore @Scotguy @Lord David @Rob. @thatsnotmypuppy @mr.bernham @woohooitsme83 @VIK @baron-pierreIV @JMarkSnow2012 @nzl @Utkarsh Verma @Athensfan @Citius Altius Fortius @Olympian1010  @TorchbearerSydney @Sir Rols @AustralianFan @JO2024 @Nacholympic  @aismanggo  

That's everyone who I @-ed or who posted in the last two regular comps, & the aborted lockdown comp. Also @GBModeratorYour Modness, would you be so nice as to tweet the comp link on your account as you did with the 12th comp, please? For the benefit of anyone not aware of the comp, and any members on that @ list who maybe haven't been in for a while - thank you :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No interest? 

On 12/3/2020 at 9:13 PM, yoshi said:

I'll tag all this lot again, there's not really any other way to promote it, it's not even like there's much else to post about on the rest of the forum, to get my signature advert out... :(

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@yoshi I have an entry for Milano-Cortina. I’m still trying to find time/inspiration to put a Brisbane one together.

:)

Advice - you can submit your Milan logo by posting it on the thread, I look forward to seeing it. You might even encourage some others to submit, nothing like competition. And if not, you win by default lol :lol:

• Haha 1

Here's mine for Milan-Cortina 2026!

9DzANS3.png

The logo takes inspiration from the Art Deco movement that flourished in Italy beginning in the early 20th century. Following from behind the contour of the letters on the wordmark are specific abstract representations of the Milan Cathedral (blue) and the Alps (green) that include the Dolomites, near which Cortina d'Ampezzo is located, as well as the design of the emblem (red) for the 1956 Winter Olympics hosted there.

3A5SUfZS_400x400.jpg  309998082149201.jpg?type=webp&to=crop&r=  1956_Winter_Olympics_logo.png

The deadline for the moment is 1pm UK time on New year's Eve. However I'll see how the entries go over the next week - as it looks very much like we're going to be back in a full lockdown in January, the deadline might be a little elastic :P. I'll do another mass @ tonight and also alert others who've posted in thread specifically :)

On 12/3/2020 at 9:13 PM, yoshi said:

@paul @daveypodmore @Scotguy @Lord David @Rob. @thatsnotmypuppy @mr.bernham @woohooitsme83 @VIK @JMarkSnow2012 @nzl @Utkarsh Verma @Athensfan @Citius Altius Fortius

@TorchbearerSydney @Sir Rols @AustralianFan @JO2024 @Nacholympic @aismanggo

@baron-pierreIV Here's the @ set again - @Glacib @Olympian1010 @Anthony please don't forget to submit logos, I notice you posted & I look forward to seeing your logos. @JDCLauronyou can of course submit for Brisbane too :) (Sorry for the odd formatting, my phone goes a bit odd around the @s for some reason. 

Just a little announcement for anyone who wants to submit privately for a surprise - please do submit to Rols, they'll reach me that way. I've got a couple of conversations open that are important to admin, so I'd only have one spare. Sorry for not making that clear earlier :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yoshi said:

This is a bit annoying, because I used to know that...the entry from @JDCLauron above has a web address of imgur.com - I think you can upload to imgur, then paste into the forum?

I couldn’t get the photo to post from Imgur, so unless there’s someone I can send the images to, I’ll have to bow out.

53 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I couldn’t get the photo to post from Imgur, so unless there’s someone I can send the images to, I’ll have to bow out.

After uploading the image to Imgur, right-click that image post and select "Open image in new tab". Copy and paste that image URL from the new tab to the text box. This link would automatically change into that image in the text box itself, unless settings have been modified otherwise.

Have you or @Anthony tried this measure?

I feel kind of out of place not helping, so I'll share that in case the directly posting of the link on the comment doesn't work, on the bottom-right corner there's a "Other Media" tab, choose "insert image from URL"  and paste the link of the image there and it should work.

Milan-Cortina 2026
On the left side, the M in pink and green represent Milan's half in the bid, as well the Italian culture, art and people (which Milan is known for). Pink and Green were chosen as a wintery forms of the Italian's flag colors, and together they represent youth, playfulness, creativity and productivity.
On the right sides, a mountain range in blue and green that represent Cortina d'Ampezzo's half in the bid (representation of the Alps), as well as the beauty of the Italian nature. The green and blue represent together freshness, progress, growth, confidence and freedom.
The logo is also can be seen as made up of 4 arrows  pointing upwards, symbolizing the wishing of each athlete to get to the top.

reF2r22.png

Brisbane 2032
The logo is a representation of the Brisbane river made up by 3 stripes. The stripes are moving towards the viewer and end pause while they're in the way up, representing the athlete's journey: starting from their past and moving towards the olympic games, which in their hopes will bring them the highest achievements of their careers (to date, at least). The stripes are conveying movement in general, but can be seen as a representation of different sports: whether they're the tracks in athletics, the ribbons in rhythmic gymnastics or even the waves in surfing.
The yellow-gold stripe represent the outdoor sports, as well as hope, happiness, energy and achievement. The pink stripe represent the indoor sports, as well as playfulness, friendship, passion and kindness. The blue stripe represent the water-associated sports, as well as freedom, peace, inspiration, importance and confidence.

HTNVWqo.png

Good luck to everyone ^_^