Salt Lake City Still Mulling 2030 Or 2034 Olympic Winter Games Bid

GBModerator

Salt Lake City organizers remain on the fence between bids to host the Olympic Winter Games in either 2030 or 2034. “We don’t have an answer for you on the date for the Games at this time but we’re going to be ready whether it’s 2030 or 2034,” Salt Lake City-Utah Committee for the Games […]

The post Salt Lake City Still Mulling 2030 Or 2034 Olympic Winter Games Bid appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

They do, I do not question that.  First its about getting Tokyo over the finish line next year, but the IOC's every other sentence to the Japanese Olympic Committee should be Sapporo, Sapporo, Sapporo, Sapporo.  "you guys are doing great here in Tokyo, we'd love you to do the same with Sapporo", just to the point of it being overwhelming.  

On 10/25/2020 at 5:23 PM, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

They do, I do not question that.  First its about getting Tokyo over the finish line next year, but the IOC's every other sentence to the Japanese Olympic Committee should be Sapporo, Sapporo, Sapporo, Sapporo.  "you guys are doing great here in Tokyo, we'd love you to do the same with Sapporo", just to the point of it being overwhelming.  

I don't think it's a matter of praise.  The Japanese don't seem like the kind of people that would be influenced by that.  The IOC needs to make sure it will be financially viable.  And that's where they may or may not be helping out Tokyo as much as they need to.  So it's more like "the IOC's every other sentence to the Japanese Olympic Committee should be that they will make sure a Sapporo Olympics is not a financial burden because of the IOC."  That's the reassurance they need to offer right now if they want Sapporo to play ball with that

On 10/26/2020 at 1:23 AM, mountainboarder_530@yahoo. said:

COVID19 is likely still going to be around come next summer, vaccine or not. If either the Tokyo Olympics get cancelled or go ahead with no fans in the stands, then I think you will see the Sapporo bid shelved. The Tokyo Olympics are costing billions of dollars and no one exactly knows what the final price tag will be if they are held even in a scaled down version next summer. A cancellation would not only doom Sapporo but it would probably take Japan out of bidding for decades to come (with all the money put into Tokyo 2020 if it was cancelled the financial fallout would be such that  I would doubt you'd see another bid from Japan for a long time). I'd say the only way in that situation that Sapporo could be persuaded to go ahead would be for the IOC to pick up 100% of the tab (which we know won't happen).

Salt Lake City is the safe option for either 2030 or 2034. Depending on the financial fallout from Tokyo will likely determine whether or Japan even entertains a bid from Sapporo. If not, while 2030 would not be SLC's first choice, I'm sure they can milk the IOC for all that it's worth since the IOC is likely to be desperate.

Good points all around on that.  When looking at it from those points, practically everything needs to go right in 2021 for Japan to be successful, and the IOC is going to need to help steer that ship successfully, otherwise, yeah........I guess Sapporo would be easily scuttled if Tokyo is cancelled or fan-less.  

• 1 month later...

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-2030-olympics-bid-discussion-postponed

Vancouver, Canada is also considering a bid for 2030. If they bid and win 2030, SLC will have to wait even longer to host the Games again unless the IOC is desperate in 2034. Expect more information from Vancouver to come in 2021.

18 hours ago, Mr.M15ter said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-2030-olympics-bid-discussion-postponed

Vancouver, Canada is also considering a bid for 2030. If they bid and win 2030, SLC will have to wait even longer to host the Games again unless the IOC is desperate in 2034. Expect more information from Vancouver to come in 2021.

A Vancouver 2030 Olympics in no way prevents a Salt Lake 2034 Olympics.  Might make it a little harder depending on the competition.  But the idea of "SLC will have to wait" simply is not an accurate statement.  And given the recent state of affairs with the IOC, there's a halfway decent chance there may be some desperation there

Vancouver and SLC are both proven hosts that have most of the existing infrastructure in place. While the pandemic will be over by then, the economic effects are going to be felt for years to come and I believe that's going to shelve many potential bidders especially in western Europe on top of concerns about the costs of the WOGs that were already present. I could absolutely see the IOC going back to back with SLC and Vancouver. As I stated previously, I don't expect Sapporo to go through with all the extra money being poured into Tokyo.

Affordable housing is issue #1 in Vancouver. Unfortunately even if an Olympic village is initially successful in creating affordable housing (as the Vancouver 2010 village did), it will lead to further gentrification of the area and an increase in rent price. This is what happened in the east end of London after 2012, for example.

Vancouver needs to come up with a plan to make the village serve as affordable housing not only in the initial sale of condos, but also in the years to come. (The easiest way is to simply have the city directly own the apartment buildings and rent them at an affordable price.) If they do then I think that will go a fair way toward convincing people in the city to support another bid.

Vancouver 2030's mascot - Booyah, the Asian murder hornet who has made a North American beachhead in the border area between BC and Washington State!!  They caught one major nest outside Blaine, WA a few weeks ago!! 

vespa velutina - murder hornet stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images

wasp eating a hamburger - murder hornet stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images

Booyah with the Official Vancouver 2030 Hamberder!!  Can Booyah go vegan??

Edited by baron-pierreIV