Pyrenees-Barcelona 2030 Winter Olympics Bid Ready For Next Step: COE President

The 2030 Olympic Winter Games bid from Pyrenees-Barcelona remains on track despite ongoing disruptions from the Coronavirus pandemic, Spanish Olympic Committee (COE) President Alejandro Blanco told Mundo Deportivo this week. But bid organizers still await required government approvals that remain outstanding from the Spanish national government and the from leadership in the Aragon region. “Right now, […]

The post Pyrenees-Barcelona 2030 Winter Olympics Bid Ready For Next Step: COE President appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Spain is one of the EU countries which managed COVID the worst, and their government is a Tower of Babel right now, constantly quarreling between each other, a PM who made pacts with every kind of crazy political party just so he could be elected, and the leadership of PODEMOS who are basically turning the country into a Banan Republic.

Trust me, hosting the Olympics in Spain right now is the worst idea you can have. Spain is going to have an economic crisis soon which will make the early 2010s one look very tame in comparison.

On 10/15/2020 at 8:17 PM, Ikarus360 said:

Spain is one of the EU countries which managed COVID the worst, and their government is a Tower of Babel right now, constantly quarreling between each other, a PM who made pacts with every kind of crazy political party just so he could be elected, and the leadership of PODEMOS who are basically turning the country into a Banan Republic.

Trust me, hosting the Olympics in Spain right now is the worst idea you can have. Spain is going to have an economic crisis soon which will make the early 2010s one look very tame in comparison.

They're not trying to host the Olympics in Spain right now.  They're looking at a decade from now, when (hopefully) COVID is a distant memory.  Economic troubles are nothing new for Spain, as we learned with their Madrid 2020 bid.  I agree I don't think this is a great idea, but like the story noted, they're at the point where they need government approval, so good luck on that one because it seems like the government could and probably should shoot them down.

On 10/16/2020 at 2:17 AM, Ikarus360 said:

Thing is, PP is reeling from its corruption scandals and VOX are fascists. So Spanish politics is pretty effed up anyway, and we're not even discussing the topic of Catalonian independence (again). While I think this idea of Barcelona/Pyrenees hosting Winter Olympics is basically feasible, especially in view of the all-hailed Agenda 2020, there's way too many hurdles to overcome politically to make this happen in 2030 already. And the IOC will probably have at least SLC if Sapporo gets cold feet depending on what happens with Tokyo next year, so there's probably not a great appetite to go for a more risky bid, especially back-to-back with Milan-Cortina (which, btw, is economically also not exactly super solid).