Beijing 2022 Ceremonies

On 2/28/2022 at 3:57 PM, Nacholympic said:

More about the rehearsals of the Paralympics Opening Ceremony.

It seems, the LED pannel will remain on the floor.

https://english.cctv.com/2022/02/25/VIDEXV9ujLc5dKLAdcMsW3yy220225.shtml

That will remain until the closing ceremony.

On 3/1/2022 at 1:28 PM, Bear said:

will there be a live chat for the para ceremonies?

You can start it.:)

Beijing 2022 Paralympics opening to highlight passion and self-empowerment, with 30% performers with disabilities: director Zhang Yimou

A day before the opening of the Beijing 2022 Paralympic Winter Games, renowned Chinese director for the Paralympics opening ceremony Zhang Yimou revealed that about 30 percent of the performers are people with disabilities. Different from the ceremony at the Winter Olympics which emphasized blue of the ice and snow, the Paralympics show will be more colorful, highlighting passion, warmth and self-empowerment. 

The opening ceremony will be themed "the blossoming of life" and will last about 80 minutes, China Central Television reported. Through more than 10 sessions, it will present the relentless pursuit of people with disabilities for "a better life, a more inclusive world" in a heart-warming atmosphere. 

Zhang Yimou, also director of the Beijing Winter Olympics' sensational opening and closing ceremonies, said that they have been working day and night to prepare for the performance filled with emotions. 

About 30 percent of the performers will be people with disabilities from across the country and various fields. The design team used simulation rehearsal technology to improve rehearsal efficiency which shows humanistic care. 

Highlighting the concept of the integration of groups with disabilities and those without disabilities, the opening ceremony will present the ideas of self-empowerment and unity. 

Not long ago, Zhang delivered spectacular opening and closing ceremonies of the Beijing Winter Olympics, stunning the world with a perfect representation of China's cultural confidence and the promotion of "together for a shared future."

As the world holds its breath for another grand show on Friday, the Paralympic Winter Games opening ceremony will have one last rehearsal on Thursday evening before it officially starts. 

News source:Global Times

Date: 3/3/2022

Link to this article:https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202203/1253805.shtml

• Like 1

This might be an odd question, but is it just me or did the national stadium seem smaller and more intimate during these sets of ceremonies compared to 2008?

I was watching a brief clip of the 2008 ceremonies, and the stadium looked so large and open, almost oversized for the occasion

3 hours ago, Bear said:

This might be an odd question, but is it just me or did the national stadium seem smaller and more intimate during these sets of ceremonies compared to 2008?

I was watching a brief clip of the 2008 ceremonies, and the stadium looked so large and open, almost oversized for the occasion

The 2022 ceremonies used the LED floor to create a band of darkness between the spectators and the performance area

12 hours ago, Bear said:

It certainly seemed more enclosed.  

• 2 weeks later...

11 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

The 2022 winter games opening/closing apparently used a lot of photomapping but no drones? I just saw a few photos of segments of the ceremonies, and it looks like the 2022 OOC didn't do too much Cirque-du-Soleil-zation.

Others have said the presentation (or maybe games in general) was soulless. But if Beijing didn't do a lot Soleil-zation of their ceremonies - which has been an overused format for over 25 years - they got at least one aspect down right.

11 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Since one Olympics tends to riff off other Olympics, what just occurred in China may affect both Paris and Los Angeles. If 2022 downplayed an overly localized Beijing/China angle, and used more generic-international themes, that's a format that I want 2028 to shoot for too.

Just moving these to a more appropriate thread

16 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Just moving these to a more appropriate thread

Based on my viewing an admittedly chopped-down version of 2022's opening, I was impressed by how international or non-regionalized it came off.

I recall the summer games in 2008 had a "China, China, China!" tone about them. But many key segments of the 2022's opening could have fit any variety of Olympic games.

I prefer what I saw in Beijing to what I vaguely recall about the Albertville 1992 winter games. Or the last time that France hosted an Olympics.

36 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Based on my viewing an admittedly chopped-down version of 2022's opening, I was impressed by how international or non-regionalized it came off.

I recall the summer games in 2008 had a "China, China, China!" tone about them. But many key segments of the 2022's opening could have fit any variety of Olympic games.

That was intentional, in articles that were released in the run up to the Olympic opening ceremony, Zhang Yimou (director) had stated that the ceremonies would focus on the theme of "One World, One Family" and the idea of going from "I" (since 2008 was all about China and Chinese culture) to "We", as in humanity as a whole

^ I didn't think that of all recent summer/winter games - and due to political overtones in today's world - that the opening of the 2022 games in Beijing would come closer to what I want for 2028. Both conceptually and creatively too. I didn't watch most of the ceremonies, however, so my opinion isn't 100% a sure thing. It's based on just a few snippets, as was the case of my watching a few segments of the 2004 games in Salt Lake City.

I hope the 2028 OOC avoids the local-yokel angle and makes its games thematically an event of and for the world. In effect, I want "Los Angeles 2028" to be "All Cities 2028."