Beijing 2022 Ceremonies

5 hours ago, Scotguy II said:

Does anyone recommend any good Chinese snacks or drinks to have when watching the ceremony?

What I recommend you might be junky...but...shrimp cracker.

連発 えびせん(5色) 227g - カルディコーヒーファーム オンラインストア

I love Hainan coconut milk juice and Formsa's licorice jelly.

• Like 1

- bao buns (mantou)

- tanghulu (sugar coated fruit on skewers)

- chinese pork jerky (bak kwa)

- malatang

- sweet and sour pork

- sizzling beef

that's all i could think off. perfect for lunch and dinner.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

vFOPtdW.jpg

0wOElpK.jpg

Doesn't the ceremony begin at 20:00 local time?

Los Angeles and Vancouver (PST) would be 3:30 AM if it does start at 19:30 local, not 1:30

Useful table though for the rest of the cities

1 hour ago, Bear said:

Los Angeles and Vancouver (PST) would be 3:30 AM if it does start at 19:30 local, not 1:30

You’re absolutely correct.   The actual start time of the ceremony is 8pm local time.

I’ll correct the table.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bear said:

3 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

You’re absolutely correct.   The actual start time of the ceremony is 8pm local time.

I’ll correct the table.

Los Angeles and Vancouver are both 16 hours behind Beijing.

Bejing 20:00 pm = 04:00 am in Los Angeles and Vancouver

21 hours ago, Scotguy II said:

Does anyone recommend any good Chinese snacks or drinks to have when watching the ceremony?

Chinese dumplings is popular dish for lunar new year.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7tVgAQh9Hz/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again

• Like 1

Beijing 2022 Olympic Opening Ceremony can match "iconic" 2008 spectacle, says OBS chief - Inside the Games - 19Jan22

Interesting comments from the Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS) chief executive Yiannis Exarchos.

He says in this report that:

“he expects the Opening Ceremony of the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics to match the iconic showpiece event that opened the Summer Games in 2008.”

• "The only thing I can say is that the preparations are very advanced, the ceremony is practically ready and it is a ceremony that nobody should miss for any reason."
  • Exarchos said it was a privilege to work alongside Zhang Yimou, considered a major figure in Chinese cinema and the performing arts. Working with Zhang back in 2008 was a highlight in my personal and professional life and this is a second highlight that I never expected to have," added Exarchos.

• “Exarchos claims the event, scheduled to take place on February 4, will be unmissable having witnessed dress rehearsals.
  • "Obviously I will not say what is in the Opening Ceremony because I don’t want to spoil the experience for any of you," said Exarchos at a Beijing 2022 technical briefing.”
  • "What I can tell you is it is a ceremony which is probably equally impressive as the one in 2008 which we know is one of the most iconic Opening Ceremonies in the history of the Olympic Games.
  • "It’s equally impressive, equally moving but completely different and it reflects our times."

32 minutes ago, Nacholympic said:
  • "It’s equally impressive, equally moving but completely different and it reflects our times."

This statement means:

- Short segments

- Small cauldron

- Projections on the floor

- COVID style show

… add in 3,000 performers and Zhang Yimou’s creative talents and technical wizardy into the mix  I think that we can look forward to something much better than the bare minium Tokyo 2020 Olympic ceremonies.

^^ Yeah but something doesn't match here with Exarchos statement. So far Yimou has been careful and trying not to hype the show so much, knowing very well it will be extremely difficult to surpass 2008 nor he wants to. Then you have this guy being incoherent with what to expect with the ceremony.

4 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

^^ Yeah but something doesn't match here with Exarchos statement. So far Yimou has been careful and trying not to hype the show so much, knowing very well it will be extremely difficult to surpass 2008 nor he wants to. Then you have this guy being incoherent with what to expect with the ceremony.

Yes, its all to create a mystery and anticipation around whats coming I think

Team Taiwan to skip Olympic ceremonies amid name row
Chinese official's use of 'Taipei, China,' raised concerns among athletes from the island

Taiwan's Olympic contingent of 15 athletes will not participate in the opening or closing ceremonies of the Games kicking off in Beijing next week, Taiwanese authorities said Friday, amid concern that Beijing will use the events to assert its jurisdiction over the island.

The announcement, which comes after Taiwan said this week that it would not send officials to the event, cited flight delays and the need for precautions against COVID-19. 

Worries about Beijing's handling of Taiwan's status were stoked Wednesday when a representative of China's Taiwan Affairs Office said in a news conference that "the team from Taipei, China, is already registered to participate."

Taiwan, which is not formally recognized as an independent state by most countries, cannot participate in the Olympics under that name. It instead competes as "Chinese Taipei," or Zhonghua Taibei, where Zhonghua refers to China in a broad cultural or ethnic sense.

China and Taiwan settled on the use of this name in the Olympics in a 1989 agreement, and China used it during the 2008 Summer Games in Beijing.

The Chinese official who spoke this week instead called Taiwan Zhongguo Taibei, or "Taipei, China," implying that Taiwan is a part of the Chinese state.

A representative of Taiwan's Mainland Affairs Council objected strongly to this on Thursday. "China intentionally called the Taiwanese team by the incorrect name of 'Taipei, China,' which will only further heighten the resentment of the Taiwanese people," the official told reporters.

"We need to prepare for unforeseen circumstances," the representative said.

A Taiwanese media source involved in Olympics coverage had predicted that "the athletes could ultimately have no choice but to sit out [the ceremonies] given the gulf between them and the Chinese side."

A similar situation arose around the 2008 Games when China's official Xinhua News Agency and China Central Television used "Taipei, China," in reference to the Taiwanese team, angering Taiwan.

The fight over Taiwan's identity comes amid simmering tensions in the Taiwan Strait. Taipei said Sunday that China sent 39 military aircraft into its air defense identification zone in the largest incursion since October.

Date:2022/1/29

News source: Nikkei Asia

Link to this article:https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Sports/Beijing-Winter-Olympics/Team-Taiwan-to-skip-Olympic-ceremonies-amid-name-row

That's what they get. China did the same to Taiwan the last two times they hosted international events (2009 Deaflympics and the 2017 Universiade) because their president opened the games as a Head of State, which implied they were an independent country according to their perspective.

Taiwan also resigned from a planned torch relay leg in Taipei back in 2008 amid similar name rows (torch relay described Taiwan as a province)