Beijing 2022 Ceremonies

Well that video Bear sent with the costumes and the dancing is a bit cringe. I still think there could be an ice rink in the centre. I don't mind the combination of modern and traditional dresses and I believe this is going to be a child-like themed ceremony.

• Like 1

At first I thought "Well, this might be just one of the segments, they're probably not revealing their best cards on these sneak peaks"

Then I remember they said the whole ceremony will last 100 minutes including Parade of nations/speeches/rest of protocol. So this tacky stuff we just saw might take a significant part of the whole show.

I don't think even the cauldron lightning is going to save this, specially when we already know they forced this ecological idiocy again (wonderful they talk about it while they do a mass fireworks show which pollutes far more than a flame which will only burn for 14 days. Stupidest argument ever, feels more like an excuse to not even try doing good cauldrons anymore......)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PikyoK said:

Well that video Bear sent with the costumes and the dancing is a bit cringe. I still think there could be an ice rink in the centre. I don't mind the combination of modern and traditional dresses and I believe this is going to be a child-like themed ceremony.

Ah the video wasn't me, that was @synergy, I only provided the images :D

16 minutes ago, LA1984 said:

Is this part of the ceremony or a pre-show? The headline of the article suggests pre-show to me (“Square dancing to feature AHEAD of Beijing 2022 opening ceremony…”

I pray you're right.

36 minutes ago, LA1984 said:

Is this part of the ceremony or a pre-show? The headline of the article suggests pre-show to me (“Square dancing to feature AHEAD of Beijing 2022 opening ceremony…”

Oh thank god for this comment for making me re-read the article (not being sarcastic here) -

"BEIJING - A rehearsal of the Beijing 2022 opening ceremony took place at the National Stadium as fireworks lit up the sky on Saturday night, during which a warm-up activity preformed by Chinese square dancers in about 30 minutes was particularly eye-catching.

The opening ceremony of Beijing 2022 will start at 8 pm on February 4. Before that, a warm-up performance will be presented by square dancers aging from five to over 70 years old, expressing their excitement for the Olympic Winter Games, according to chief director Zhang Yimou.

Zhang, who is set to become the first man to direct both Summer and Winter Games ceremonies, told Xinhua that the warm-up will not have hosts or celebrity performers and ordinary people will stand at the center of the stage.

"Square dancing is popular in every city of the country. People only go singing and dancing when they live a happy life, so I think it's a good form of performance," Zhang said."

I got worried there for a second LOL

Yeah it's part of a pre-show prior to the ceremony

• Like 1

My sincere apologies for not giving context to the images, I assumed they were from the ceremony itself

I will read articles before posting them here with no context from now on (something I should have done anyways before oops) 

1 hour ago, LA1984 said:

That's pre-show -- to an EMPTY STADIUM!! :lol:  So they practiced to an EMPTY STADIUM as well!!  Yimou will not allow the meatier (well, the bonier parts) of the Ceremony to be revealed like that,  

Q: 

2 hours ago, Bear said:

Additional images:

Hide contents

The stadium screen seems to read "Together for a Shared Future" in French, English, and Mandarin

i can;t see these images

Lucky you, the rest of us can't UNSEE these images!!!!

I see the theme will be "China- home of the Worlds knitwear workshops".......

9 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The upcoming situation proves what another WHITE ELEPHANT Birds Nest is.  A beautiful state-of-the-art 75,000 stadium only to house a scaled down ceremony, 100 mins long and playing to maybe 1,000 people.  They could've held it at a movie theater!!  Goes to show how f*cked up the planet is and how OBSOLETE Track and Field as an Olympic sport really is.  Time to remove T&F from the SOG roster as well.  

Why would you take out literally the MOST important sport in the olympic roster, and the principal reason (along with swimming and gymnastics) olympics are still relevant nowadays.

2 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

No ice rink?

2 hours ago, munichfan said:

Folks, this is going down the drain. That cauldron better be REALLY spectacular (and that surface better be an ice skating rink :P).

I'm more convinced than before that the surface in the center is an ice rink.  There's no reason to for it to be empty when the pre-ceremony performers are square dancing in children's cartoon-esque outfits unless they can't go out there without falling because they're wearing street shoes instead of skates.

• Like 2

In all honesty, they should've just installed a temporary roof over the stadium hole if they wanted a 3 hour long show a la Sochi 2014.

But eh, I'm waiting for these Games to be over so Paris can give us a real show on the Seine.

• Like 3