Beijing 2022 Look of the Games

2 hours ago, Faster said:

Hubris caused this.

i went to refresh my memory and...i was blown away all over again.

i will never get over the IOC's insane obsession with royalty. starting to wonder if that was the real reason london beat paris.

iQDZfdQ.png

i'm screaming, i hadn't thought of this in years. what would happen if bach was served a pepsi??

desperately wondering about the taco bell employee tasked with explaining to bach that the franchise only carries pepsi products.

J5zumKz.png

i hope china canceled everything for COVID.

On 2/8/2022 at 1:08 AM, krow said:

i'm screaming, i hadn't thought of this in years. what would happen if bach was served a pepsi??

desperately wondering about the taco bell employee tasked with explaining to bach that the franchise only carries pepsi products.

J5zumKz.png

i hope china canceled everything for COVID. 

Lol - wonder how much of the royal treatment was scrapped indeed. The Samsung phone one was a peculiar one though. I mean, shouldn’t Samsung themselves be providing those anyway, & not the organizers, since Samsung is an Olympic partner. 

They provided the athletes at Beijing 2022 with phones anyway:

All Beijing 2022 athletes to receive Samsung Flip phones

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1118840/beijing-2022-winter-olympics-samsung

19 minutes ago, FYI said:

Lol - wonder how much of the royal treatment was scrapped indeed. The Samsung phone one was a peculiar one though. I mean, shouldn’t Samsung themselves be providing those anyway, & not the organizers, since Samsung is an Olympic partner. 

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1118840/beijing-2022-winter-olympics-samsung

If you press the “paste as plain text instead” button when you copy and paste from a news article, you won’t get the gigantic over-the-top font.  It will be normal size.

26 minutes ago, FYI said:

4 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

If you press the “paste as plain text instead” button when you copy and paste from a news article, you won’t get the gigantic over-the-top font.  It will be normal size.

Sir Rols gave me this tip during these Games and it’s been very useful in avoiding the megaphone font.

On 2/8/2022 at 12:43 AM, TorchbearerSydney said:

What possessed them to put the Big Air venue in THAT ugly industrial wasteland???????? 

From what I read, it had to about an “Olympic connection”. Since that was one of the factories that was shut down right before the 2008 Summer Olympics to help reduce the bad air pollution in Beijing for the summer Games. I just don’t know about it being a “good connection”, though. Since going forward, the Olympic history books & everyone else, will probably still say ‘WTF’.

The urban regeneration thing all sounds very good and worthy on paper, and when I first saw the cooling towers on the coverage it was obvious it was some industrial refurbishment thing, albeit we’re not used yet to seeing such late 20th century industrial eyesores get that treatment.

But it was when the footage shifted to the wider views and you started seeing the surroundings like in the pics Krow posted:

FLB3fFdVUAMWaus?format=jpg&name=medium

that it really came across as an ugly industrial wasteland.

I mean, why try and accomplish an urban redevelopment goal but then present it to the eyes of the world so spectacularly ugly and unfinished????? Couldn’t; they at least had got some nice parkland around it in time? 

Industrial remediation can be good - Sydney’s whole Olympic Park was on built on a run-down and contaminated industrial site - but we got it looking pretty sparkling come games time. This was just an unfinished monstrosity to show the world, whatever the motives. 

Edited by Sir Rols

2 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

The urban regeneration thing all sounds very good and worthy on paper, and when I first saw the cooling towers on the coverage it was obvious it was some industrial refurbishment thing, albeit we’re not used yet to seeing such late 20th century industrial eyesores get that treatment.

But it was when the footage shifted to the wider views and you started seeing the surroundings like in the pics Krow posted:

FLB3fFdVUAMWaus?format=jpg&name=medium

that it really came across as an ugly industrial wasteland.

I mean, why try and accomplish an urban redevelopment goal but then present it to the eyes of the world so spectacularly ugly and unfinished????? Couldn’t; they at least had got some nice parkland around it in time? 

Industrial remediation can be good - Sydney’s whole Olympic Park was on built on a run-down and contaminated industrial site - but we got it looking pretty sparkling come games time. This was just an unfinished monstrosity to show the world, whatever the motives. 

See those 6 tanks? This is their real colour without the colour being manipulated:

AjJUlQd.png

Some other pics:

7LWJGIA.jpg

uO7fT13.png

E6gg1X9.jpg

3 hours ago, Scotguy II said:

At the end of the day it is the structure itself that counts and how good it is in its sport but i agree they could have spruced it up a bit... Sochi Olympic Park looked and still does look pretty stunning.

Yeah, Sochi - both its venues and look - was top notch. And it ran slickly. Pity it was rotten at its core.

i assumed Beijing would be Sochi 2.0. Instead they seem to be trying to set a record for a low bar.

1 hour ago, ulu said:

See those 6 tanks? This is their real colour without the colour being manipulated:

Not sure if rust red is any improvement. And as krow pointed out - it’s of no use if it looks slightly better in summer, it’s been an embarrassment how it’s been “showcased” this week.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:34 PM, krow said:

ok well let me introduce you to the radical concept of seasons and the fact that the current season we are discussing is winter, not whatever the hell you just posted. 

hahahaha a lush late spring day.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, munichfan said:

What western company would want to be seen sponsoring Xi's little party anyway?

This more likely is not the case here, i suppose; we would be seeing chinese companies being featured if that was the case. I feel that might actually be a hint that from now on, the Paralympics won´t feature advert banners at all in the field of play, just like the Olympics. Also, from now on, both share the same pool of Worldwide Partners as well.