Beijing 2022 Look of the Games

20 hours ago, ulu said:

What issues?

Beijing is too dry and they didn't install enough humidifiers so the ice was sublimating. They had to relay the ice only a couple days before the start of competition. Bring in a lot of portable humidifiers and fill the pools with water to bring up the humidity to keep the ice in place.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rob. said:

It's very Sydney 2000!

Lol! I thought we did have some splashes of bright colour in it, and certainly our citywide banners weren’t all blue, but I’ll give you we were, I think, the last of the dominant mono colour looks.

i remember when Athens unveiled theirs and I was a bit taken back they didn’t have a single unifying colour (it’s since become of of my favourite looks). I’m more accustomed to the variety now, even if I still associate the different games with a dominant colour (eg, Beijing 2008 red, London pink, Rio green) despite their palettes being more varied.

i really don’t know about this Beijing look though. Whatever Pantone it is, it seems to be designed to be inoffensive and bland (not two words I thought I’d associate with Beijing).

Edited by Sir Rols

They originally planned to use different colors such as greeen, yellow and red. Not sure why they went for almost exclusively blue.

614036e29c654c15bbfa62081612f350.png

Also for what i've read they planned for the look to be animated (much like the LED banners we saw in Tokyo Stadium for example) and constantly changing, but I guess they minimalized the whole thing, maybe because of heavy costs or something.

7 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

I guess they minimalized the whole thing, maybe because of heavy costs or something.

Perhaps Zhang had already ordered all the LEDs on the market for his ceremonies. :P

Especially the greens would have been nice to see. They are what makes the logo colour palette look fresh and springlike.

Watching the Big Air event - could they have found an uglier industrial city to locate it in???

51866343612_f8176054a5_h.jpg

That’s the good side - you could sorta appreciate it as an industrial rehabilitation project. But the other side is one of those big, grey, ugly tower block cities that anyone who’s been to China would recognise only all too well. 

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Haha 1

All part of China's greenwashing strategy. It's built on a former steel factory. The organizing committee has got its offices there as well. Someone should've told them redeveloped industrial areas look good only when it involves turn-of-the-century steel and glass architecture.

16 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Watching the Big Air event - could they have found an uglier industrial city to locate it in???

51866343612_f8176054a5_h.jpg

That’s the good side - you could sorta appreciate it as an industrial rehabilitation project. But the other side is one of those big, grey, ugly tower block cities that anyone who’s been to China would recognise only all too well. 

i literally came in here to post this. i don't even have the words. 

FLB3fFdVUAMWaus?format=jpg&name=medium

26 minutes ago, Faster said:

The downhill course was jarring as well. A very narrow strip of white in a sea of brown.

The last 3 games were too brown. I'm looking forward to the games going somewhere where we can actually see winter in February.

And does Homer Simpson work next to the Big Air jump?