LA 2028 Reveals Olympics First Dynamic Games Logo With Diverse ‘A’

GBModerator

The Los Angeles 2028 Olympic and Paralympic Games got a new look Tuesday.  Or you could say it took on several new looks, thanks to a new dynamic digital logo that represents  the first-ever animated Olympic emblem.   Sitting atop the Olympic rings or Paralympic agitos, the square logo consists of a bold and static […]

The post LA 2028 Reveals Olympics First Dynamic Games Logo With Diverse ‘A’ appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

I guess it's a breakthrough.  The idea of diversity and inclusion behind it is great -- but it also dilutes a strong identity for the Games.

I guess this is THE EARLIEST an official logo has been released -- 8 years before the actual Games.  Will see how it sits for 4 years, and if it needs to be changed, they have another four years to work on a replacement.  I don't like the font of "L" and 28.  Too uninspired and heavy.  

Also, notice the outer frame.  It is an odd-shape and changes for both the regular Games and the Paras.  

How will they reflect this on the medals? Will it have a little TV screen too? 

But I can see the endless possibilities and opportunities for probably the most VERSATILE PROJECTED Ceremonies ever.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I guess it's a breakthrough.  The idea of diversity and inclusion behind it is great -- but it also dilutes a strong identity for the Games.

I guess this is THE EARLIEST an official logo has been released -- 8 years before the actual Games.  Will see how it sits for 4 years, and if it needs to be changed, they have another four years to work on a replacement.  I don't like the font of "L" and 28.  Too uninspired and heavy.  

Also, notice the outer frame.  It is an odd-shape and changes for both the regular Games and the Paras.  

How will they reflect this on the medals? Will it have a little TV screen too? 

But I can see the endless possibilities and opportunities for probably the most VERSATILE PROJECTED Ceremonies ever.  

Yeah, someone suggested that they should just change all the characters to the desired style. I suggested maybe leaving the A normal, but they coming up with a fun shape for everyone to create/fill in a different way.

I will say that this matches the culture of LA very well. The blocky lettering is typical “brutalist” style you’ll see in street art and other lettering around the city.

Is it a "coincidence" or what -- but this Asian Games 2026 logo unveiled in late July, also has a play on the letter "A" for the Aichi prefecture.  Or at least that's the explanation from the OG.  Not a bad design, a very "Paul" design, but to me, it looks like another "Barcelona-Paralympic" design -- a runner missing the other leg.  

f5f688c68b1868adf174608279104c06.jpg

So, we should be seeing the Milano-Cortina 2026 and United World Cup 2026 logos next.  

I...I...I...just don't know what I'm feeling about this. it's way better than that wig head for Paris but man, it's all over the place. I agree most with the person who mentioned that the 3 bold fonts in the L, 2, and 8, are all so different but heavy. Don't mind the heavy as much as the different. I saw the 8 font used on the website to spell out the names of all the other pending games (and some other stuff too I think). Those names were links to those respective sites instead of using their typical logos as the link.......thought that looked kind cool. I like it but the A is just a rehash of the M from MTV that is a million year old idea now........so not really a groundbreaking idea......I mean it's REALLY the same exact concept. Good thing Billie Eilish and Reese Witherspoon are on board, I just hope they can secure Beyonce or at minimum Blue Ivy before the look of games concept is put to bed.

Edited by paul

8 hours ago, paul said:

I...I...I...just don't know what I'm feeling about this. it's way better than that wig head for Paris but man, it's all over the place. I agree most with the person who mentioned that the 3 bold fonts in the L, 2, and 8, are all so different but heavy. Don't mind the heavy as much as the different. I saw the 8 font used on the website to spell out the names of all the other pending games (and some other stuff too I think). Those names were links to those respective sites instead of using their typical logos as the link.......thought that looked kind cool. I like it but the A is just a rehash of the M from MTV that is a million year old idea now........so not really a groundbreaking idea......I mean it's REALLY the same exact concept. Good thing Billie Eilish and Reese Witherspoon are on board, I just hope they can secure Beyonce or at minimum Blue Ivy before the look of games concept is put to bed.

Paul, I'm not in/with the MTV crowd, so this thing is new and fresh to me -- as it would be to many others.  Is there even much of a cross-over of Olympic and MTV crowds?  I think not; so it would be a breakthrough for many of us.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1 hour ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

The changing A is totally derivative of the MTV logo....and anyone who has been alive the last 30 years would have seen it somewhere.

I think MTV did it better though.

Remember Tokyo changed its logo because it was similar to a Belgium Theater troupe- not many of us had seen that!

It’s a similar concept, but it’s not the exact same.

This is what happens when a committee makes design decisions.

On 9/2/2020 at 5:36 PM, xxxray said:

I do too, but organizations start with high concept ideas for the design (like diversity), then the designer has to create something based on those ideas, then finally a group of people in a committee all pull the design in different directions and make the designer make those changes. And you end up with something that looks worse than what a designer would have come up with on their own.

On 9/3/2020 at 2:31 AM, paul said:

hey I like the paris logo! lol

but I totally agree with the MTV, I couldn't put my finger on it till now.

are we assuming that it's going to be animated on everything it's used for? is there one 'A' that is always used?

On 9/6/2020 at 3:21 AM, Anthony said:

are we assuming that it's going to be animated on everything it's used for? is there one 'A' that is always used?

The bigger question implied here is: How digital will these Games be?

Is it likely most venues will have digital ribbons around the field of play by then (i.e. could we have an animated 'Look' as well)? Ditto wayfinding for venues, will that be mostly on screens? Will tickets be in Apple/Google wallets for the most part rather than paper? Will the TV graphics get an update to allow for variations?

14 hours ago, Rob. said:

The bigger question implied here is: How digital will these Games be?

Is it likely most venues will have digital ribbons around the field of play by then (i.e. could we have an animated 'Look' as well)? Ditto wayfinding for venues, will that be mostly on screens? Will tickets be in Apple/Google wallets for the most part rather than paper? Will the TV graphics get an update to allow for variations?

I'd like to assume that we will see animated branding and digital displays, ticketing and mapping before 2028. Japan and China are big technology hubs, so I'd imagine that will all be implemented during their Games.

Edited by Anthony

Sorry for the rant, but it's bleak how a city with so much art and design talent, ends up with such a half-baked, done-to-death approach; whose success is not really about genuine innovation or good design, but instead rests on cult of celebrity. 

Behind the aura of famous people, there isn't anything original about this approach. Case in point (and I could list a bunch more):

https://www.pentagram.com/work/philadelphia-museum-of-art

ps_philadelphiamuseum_06.jpg?rect=0,105,

And it could be forgivable if the execution weren't so damn lazy. Paul nailed it with the MTV comparisons. The execution of MTV at least has a great deal of genuine creativity and outside-the-box thinking. There's nothing offensive, strange, or weird in any of the LA28 logos. Everything's inside-the-box. They're as "diverse" and "unexpected" as the thousands of generic public artworks placed in front of soulless office towers. 

That lack of risk-taking reveals what it's really about...

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

...an easy grab for some cold hard cash. Certainly on this front it'll be highly successful: people generally love parting ways with their money once celebrities are involved. But if these end up being the final logos, it'll reflect the worst of a consumerist world that's proud to reject quality of ideas in favor of maximized profit potential. Yes, I get it, "it's the world we live in." But I'm not that cynical. LA can do better than this; they proved it with their bid logo.  

They even hint at the "YOU too, can design a logo!" trope. Don't be fooled, freedom and individuality will only be granted if the design is corporate-friendly and committee-approved, lest the logo become an exercise on internet memes about LA's traffic (putting it nicely). London's logo might have been ugly, but at least it had a soul. 

Luckily the logo's just a tiny part of a bigger picture and there's 8 years to work on it. Just hope the bigger picture doesn't reflect this same philosophy.