Qatar Launches Bid To Host Olympic Games As Early As 2032

GBModerator

Qatar has entered the growing race to host the Olympic and Paralympic Games as early as 2032, the Gulf nation’s national Olympic Committee announced Monday after sending a letter to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) indicating it seeks to host the first Games in the Middle East. Joining nations interested in hosting in 2032 including […]

The post Qatar Launches Bid To Host Olympic Games As Early As 2032 appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

While there are very clear issues in terms of the ethics, as well as on the marketing front with the potential timeframe, I think the IOC may be just a tad more accepting of a potential (highly) abnormal timeframe because of new flexibility rules. Though I certainly don't see Doha winning a potential bid, they could get taken more seriously. I would personally wait till a year like 2036 to see how the effects 2022 FIFA World Cup would impact a bid, but I don't think they're as likely to get outright blocked because of the timeframe this time around.

11 hours ago, Kiko Snowe said:

While there are very clear issues in terms of the ethics, as well as on the marketing front with the potential timeframe, I think the IOC may be just a tad more accepting of a potential (highly) abnormal timeframe because of new flexibility rules. Though I certainly don't see Doha winning a potential bid, they could get taken more seriously. I would personally wait till a year like 2036 to see how the effects 2022 FIFA World Cup would impact a bid, but I don't think they're as likely to get outright blocked because of the timeframe this time around.

As if the timeframe was the real issue....it was a smart move by Rogge at the time to use this as a pretext. 

The little remaining reputation of the IOC (which basically now is in the hands of making Paris 2024 a success after the - unforeseen - Tokyo crisis and the surely outrageous - in many ways - 2022) will be completely eradicated if they choose Qatar.

Whether FIFA (whose boss is now officially facing charges in Switzerland as of today) paints the WC a success (which it will) is completely irrelevant. 

It's not just FIFA - it's about whether the general population of the world will view it as a success down the road, and how much the ethics of how Qatar's WC was made would be emphasized into the mainstream consciousness, and if its a large amount, say goodbye to any shot of a Doha winning an Olympic bid.