This is a simple question to all who follow the Olympic movement. Taken is the current state of the world of sports. International travel, No vaccine. the possible second wave later this year which could last into 2021. Thousand of Athletes in the Olympic Village.  Could Tokyo be the first Olympic Games to be cancel this century? Yes or No. Please just a yes or no.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, what do you expect people to say?

yes, of course it’s possible it could be cancelled, but that depends on so many factors that no-one can really predict at the moment. Probably a vaccine is the number one factor. But that alone is impossible to forecast. Russia says it already has one, other countries give various estimates between later this year or into next year before they have one. We’ll just have to see what happens and how effective it is if one does get developed.

I’d guess that most of the members here would hope Tokyo goes ahead next year if it’s possible, are really wishing it does so, but would understand if it doesn’t happen. What else is there to say? None of us, nor the IOC or the Tokyo Organising committee, are in a position to know what’s possible three, six or eight or 12 months from now. It’s even beyond educated guesswork - it’s in the hands of the fates.

Edited by Sir Rols
On 7/18/2020 at 4:02 PM, olympikfan said:

This is a simple question to all who follow the Olympic movement. Taken is the current state of the world of sports. International travel, No vaccine. the possible second wave later this year which could last into 2021. Thousand of Athletes in the Olympic Village.  Could Tokyo be the first Olympic Games to be cancel this century? Yes or No. Please just a yes or no.

Maybe

Nobody has a crystal ball. The dubious Russian vaccine is another PR move, we don't know how much politicised the virus will still be (Trump/China will at least drag on until November, and if the worst happens - i.e. another term for Nero burning down Rome - even longer), and whether the second wave will come and how it will hit.

If today was not 14 August 2020 (BTW, 100 years today since opening of the Antwerp Olympics), but let's say 14 May 2021, my answer would be Yes, it's cancelled.

But we simply cannot tell now, it's all just fluid.

Russia has no vaccine.

Tokyo can be something next year I guess, but it's probably not time to cancel yet..they just don't know yet. It does feel like they are sort of screwed no matter what........cant imagine the disappointment they are dealing with.

14 hours ago, paul said:

Russia has no vaccine.

Tokyo can be something next year I guess, but it's probably not time to cancel yet..they just don't know yet. It does feel like they are sort of screwed no matter what........cant imagine the disappointment they are dealing with.

This is what Russia has.  It starts with the letter V, probably will make you feel better and does kill certain cells in the body, but I doubt it'll do much against a virus.. stolichnaya-russian-vodka.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, olympikfan said:

Over 32 million confirm cases.

Over 980,000 deaths

No vaccine.

Japan has a new Prime Minister.

38 days until Election Day,

International Travel restrictions are still in place.

Europe is now going through a second wave.

300 days to go.

What else can go wrong?

• 4 weeks later...

Over 42 Millions cases of Covid

Over 1.1 million deaths World wide.

Over 200.000 in Th US.

Europe in a second wave with some countries going into lock down. A friend in Italy  email me and told me its very bad situation.

10 Days until US election.

No vaccine yet.

Travel restrictions still in place.

270 Days to go until Tokyo.