Jaca 's Bid

ghost1

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Granada is fine provided there is some snow.

Granada is in the warm south, too hotter for a Winter Games I think :oo:

Well, it hosted world champs of skiing, if I'm not mistaken.

Besides, it has in the winter plenty of snow and lots of Spaniards go there to ski!

Besides, it has in the winter plenty of snow and lots of Spaniards go there to ski!

Plenty of snow in the Sierra Nevadas, there, and as Map mentioned, it has already hosted World Cup events and tried for the 2010 WOGs.

Plus, talk about an namazing backdrop it would have with the Alhambra!

granada.jpg

Plenty of snow in the Sierra Nevadas, there, and as Map mentioned, it has already hosted World Cup events and tried for the 2010 WOGs.

Plus, talk about an namazing backdrop it would have with the Alhambra!

granada.jpg

Why not the winter games in Spain??? When they have the monet and the venues for it, it can host the games.

Sarajevo in 1984 wasn't a well know and big wintersport place either, but they organised good games.

If I remember well the World Championships in Sierra Nevada were postponed by one year due to lack of snow at first attempt

This is what I wanted to say! In fact, if Granada makes a good bid it can win. Wich is the population of Granada? I know the population of all the Autonomous Community of Andalusia is 7 million people but the city itself... :oh:

It's always a risk. I remember reading that even for the 1964 Innsbruck Games the Austrian army had to tuck in snow from elsewhere because it had been a warm, dry winter. These days, just about every resort has snow making equipment.

Innsbruck, Sarajevo, Calgary... They all had to cope with a lack of snow. But making snow is so easy today. Even Doha could organize the Olympic Games. They just needs mountains.

It's always a risk. I remember reading that even for the 1964 Innsbruck Games the Austrian army had to tuck in snow from elsewhere because it had been a warm, dry winter. These days, just about every resort has snow making equipment.

Innsbruck, Sarajevo, Calgary... They all had to cope with a lack of snow. But making snow is so easy today. Even Doha could organize the Olympic Games. They just needs mountains.

:laughlong: Yeah, Winter Olympic Games Doha 2038  :wwww:

Sarajevo had this problem? I thought it had TOO MUCH snow during the 1984 Winter Olympics.  :o

The province of Granada had in January 2005 841,687 people.

The province of Huesca (where Jaca is) had in January 2005 212,901 people.

Granada itself had in January 2005 a population of 238,292.

Jaca itself had in January 2005 a population of 12,322. But Jaca has in less than 2 hours a biggest town (Huesca- 47,923 in January 2005), a middle-size town (Pamplona- 191,865 in January 2005) and a city (Zaragoza- 638,799 in January 2005).

Sarajevo had this problem? I thought it had TOO MUCH snow during the 1984 Winter Olympics.  :o

Well in 1964 and 1984, days before the games there was a lack of snow. Both cities import a lot of snow to the cities. And when that work was done... it began to snow...

Well in 1964 and 1984, days before the games there was a lack of snow. Both cities import a lot of snow to the cities. And when that work was done... it began to snow...

:laughlong: This weekend has been a polar/cold wave in Spain, in Jaca there is many snow. :blush:

Spain's lack of Winter Olympic success (how many medals has Spain won in the Winter Olympics?) might be one of Jaca's biggest problems. Wintersports are the last thing that come to mind when thinking about Spain.

I don't know anything about Jaca - never heard of the place before the 2010 bid - so I can't judge the town itself.

Spain's lack of Winter Olympic success (how many medals has Spain won in the Winter Olympics?) might be one of Jaca's biggest problems. Wintersports are the last thing that come to mind when thinking about Spain.

I don't know anything about Jaca - never heard of the place before the 2010 bid - so I can't judge the town itself.

Uh, then what about Sarajevo 1984? I don't recall any Winter Olympics medals ever won by the former Yugoslavia before that bid was won.

1st- I haven't heard of Albertville, Lillehammer, Nagano and others until they got the Olympics... :rolleyes:

2nd- Spain isn't as bad as you say...

3rd- Spain isn't only sun and beaches as you think... Is the 2nd most mountaineous country (Switzerland is the most mountaineous) in Europe, the North has a lot of snow and green. :rolleyes:

Well, on a side note away from this topic, don't laugh but it seems that there is an artificial snow ski resort big time in that general area. Surprise of surprises: it's Dubai.  :help:

Well, on a side note away from this topic, don't laugh but it seems that there is an artificial snow ski resort big time in that general area. Surprise of surprises: it's Dubai.  :help:

And Barcelona will be building a covered piste also!

The second time the games will be there???

1st- I haven't heard of Albertville, Lillehammer, Nagano and others until they got the Olympics... :rolleyes:

2nd- Spain isn't as bad as you say...

3rd- Spain isn't only sun and beaches as you think... Is the 2nd most mountaineous country (Switzerland is the most mountaineous) in Europe, the North has a lot of snow and green. :rolleyes:

1. So....? I'd never heard of Jaca so I can't judge if they could host, I'm not saying they can't host or it's a ###### town.

2. I'm not saying Spain is bad. I'm saying they don't have a significant winter olympics history which can't be in favour of a Jaca bid (although not necessarily against them as well).

3. True, but most people don't associate Spain with mountains, they do associate it with sun and beaches.

Archived