Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My goodness, man.. get off Pavlovian streak of yours when you get excited anytime you see the slightest hint of what could look like a boycott. You do realize that Trump is about to no longer be

What’s that? Suicide for fear of death?    Never in a million years would athletes en masse go for that idea.

I mean, it's only fair that they are punished and equally get their games cancelled if Tokyo loses them. Even if they did not caused the pandemic, the fact that their lies and constant cover ups of th

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1344769/beijing-winter-olympics-2022-uk-boycott-iain-duncan-smith-dominic-raab

'IAIN Duncan Smith has backed calls for a boycott of the Beijing Winter Olympics in 2022 over human rights abuses by China.'

http://www.mcivortimes.com.au/national/2020/10/07/1720686/minister-cool-on-chinese-olympics-boycott

'Australia's sports minister has shrugged off calls to boycott the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics over human rights abuses in China.'

'"It is not the government but the independent Australian Olympic Committee who are responsible for sending teams to winter and summer Olympic Games," he told parliament on Wednesday.'

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Have you noticed the common thread running through a lot of these articles?  Politicians want boycotts.  But they don't seem too eager to impose that upon the athletes.  In other words.. exactly what I've been saying this while time.

Will the Australian Olympic Committee or the British Olympics Committee or whoever else tell their Olympics they're not going to compete?  Because it remains a question whether or not the threat of withholding funding would even be on the table.

To say it yet again.. I'll believe it when I see it

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2020 at 4:03 AM, Quaker2001 said:

Have you noticed the common thread running through a lot of these articles?  Politicians want boycotts.  But they don't seem too eager to impose that upon the athletes.  In other words.. exactly what I've been saying this while time.

Will the Australian Olympic Committee or the British Olympics Committee or whoever else tell their Olympics they're not going to compete?  Because it remains a question whether or not the threat of withholding funding would even be on the table.

To say it yet again.. I'll believe it when I see it

 

 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Are you seeing the pattern develop here?  Politicians are calling for boycotts.  Those who actually have a stake in the Olympics and Olympic committees are essentially telling them to piss off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Are you seeing the pattern develop here?  Politicians are calling for boycotts.  Those who actually have a stake in the Olympics and Olympic committees are essentially telling them to piss off.

But in the UK the funding means if the government wants a boycott funding for athletes might end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2020 at 12:07 PM, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

But in the UK the funding means if the government wants a boycott funding for athletes might end.

And how exactly would that work?  Is the UK going to stop funding Summer athletes too?  Because that's going to be a terrible optic to fund athletes for Tokyo and then not fund athletes for Beijing 6 months later.  Even if there's a pretty obvious political motive behind it, the messaging is likely going to get lost and in the end, the only thing that will have been accomplished is that Great Britain will have stolen what could be some athletes' only shot at the Olympics

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 3:02 AM, Quaker2001 said:

And how exactly would that work?  Is the UK going to stop funding Summer athletes too?  Because that's going to be a terrible optic to fund athletes for Tokyo and then not fund athletes for Beijing 6 months later.  Even if there's a pretty obvious political motive behind it, the messaging is likely going to get lost and in the end, the only thing that will have been accomplished is that Great Britain will have stolen what could be some athletes' only shot at the Olympics

https://ipolitics.ca/2020/10/08/boycotting-the-2022-winter-games-should-be-one-way-canada-sticks-it-to-china/

Athletes saying they will go no matter what  might end up being seen as being pro Regime.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

https://ipolitics.ca/2020/10/08/boycotting-the-2022-winter-games-should-be-one-way-canada-sticks-it-to-china/

Athletes saying they will go no matter what  might end up being seen as being pro Regime.

That'll be interesting.  So we'll go from "athletes shouldn't make political statements" to "every athlete is making a political statement."

Hopefully most people aren't that vapid to think that any athlete who wants to compete in the Olympics is supporting China.  Again, tell that to every athlete who missed out on the 1980 Olympics and never got another shot

Link to post
Share on other sites

But outside of Humans rights. At this point in the world, Tokyo 2020 might get cancel. so why reward China for lying costing over a million lives lost. And costing the world economy trillion of dollars. Australia  wants an international inquiry on Cobid-19 and China is not cooperating with the world.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, olympikfan said:

But outside of Humans rights. At this point in the world, Tokyo 2020 might get cancel. so why reward China for lying costing over a million lives lost. And costing the world economy trillion of dollars. Australia  wants an international inquiry on Cobid-19 and China is not cooperating with the world.

At this point in the world, Tokyo might *not* get cancelled.  Either way, it will have no bearing on what happens with 2022.

China was "rewarded" with the hosting rights to the 2022 Olympics more than 5 years ago.  There are signed contracts between China and the IOC where neither side can back out on a whim.  Despite what you have as the title of the thread, it is way too late to move the 2022 Olympics from China.  So the IOC has 2 choices.. hold the 2022 Winter Games in Beijing as scheduled.  Or cancel them entirely.  Do you think for a split second the IOC will consider doing that?  Zero chance that happens and I think you know that.  Let countries or athletes boycott if they want to make a stand.  The "but human rights" argument is not going to make the IOC change their minds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 6:33 AM, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

The UK Parliament might vote to order Disney to be summoned to explain it's involvement in China.

 

Don't underestimate how popular a boycott of 2022 will be in most countries - only athletes might be willing to publicly oppose come this time next year.

Don't overestimate how popular a boycott of 2022 will be in most countries.  Let alone a year from not when who knows where we are in the pandemic (or other socio-political matters), let alone how people feel about China.

This is the textbook definition of putting the cart before the horse.  You think a vocal minority (and they're very much a minority) will push for a boycott and it's on the NOC's and the athletes to oppose it.  That's not how this is going to go down.  I don't believe when it comes down to it that government leaders will impose their will and think they're making some sort of grandiose statement when it's not going to accomplish anything.  Nor will the narrative be that any athlete attending the Olympics is somehow supportive of China's regime and all that comes with it.  I can see in a forum like this how someone might think that.  I don't think it's going to actually play out that way just because you found a couple of articles with people saying they want it to happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, olympikfan said:

I agree with you  RWB  the world will see it as pay back for the Covid 19. Why reward China when they  screwed the world.

Dude, you need to stop it with the "reward" narrative.  We all know China unleashed this plague on the world.  They already have the Olympics.  That "reward" is NOT going to be taken away from them.  Because the only people that can take that away from them is the IOC.  And there is ZERO chance they do that.  Because if they do, there will be no Winter Olympics in 2022.  And that's not an option. 

It is too late to move the 2022 Olympics, in spite of what the thread title says.  Will some athletes decide to make the decision not to support China and refuse to travel and compete there?  I'm sure they will.  But that will be a very tiny and insignificant number of people.  Olympians will not give up what's potentially a once in a lifetime dream to compete in the Olympics over political views.  Ask every athlete that missed out on Moscow in 1980 how that worked out for them

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...