Moved 2022 before its to late.

redwhiteblue, its seven months out, you should actually be rooting for this.  You want China to be embarrassed???  Xinjiang might or might not be brought up............but COVID sure as hell is.  The disease has proved resilient.  If even one hot spot emerges in China between now and the games, even with a Chinese "vaccine", its gonna be pandemonium (my wife has Chinese descent, her parents live in China, both got the Chinese-made vaccine, and both got the virus nonetheless.  They barely survived.  Its not effective).  

Let this happen, its going to do harm to China's image, not the prestige that they want.  The spotlight is gonna be on them, and in at least one theatre, they are going to slip up, and it could be multiple.  Thank god Almaty didnt get dragged into this mess, I bet they are counting their blessings now.

10 hours ago, iceman530 said:

redwhiteblue, its seven months out, you should actually be rooting for this.  You want China to be embarrassed???  Xinjiang might or might not be brought up............but COVID sure as hell is.  The disease has proved resilient.  If even one hot spot emerges in China between now and the games, even with a Chinese "vaccine", its gonna be pandemonium (my wife has Chinese descent, her parents live in China, both got the Chinese-made vaccine, and both got the virus nonetheless.  They barely survived.  Its not effective).  

Let this happen, its going to do harm to China's image, not the prestige that they want.  The spotlight is gonna be on them, and in at least one theatre, they are going to slip up, and it could be multiple.  Thank god Almaty didnt get dragged into this mess, I bet they are counting their blessings now.

Have you not seen all his posts?  He is very openly rooting for there to be major fallout from this, possibly going so far as to cause the end of the Olympics and the IOC.  Not sure if he's trolling or actually believes any of that though.

As a fan of the Olympics, I want them to be okay, but as much of the fallout to hit China as possible.  I don't want COVID to still be an issue come February just to do that though.  The problem for them is that they'll want to whitewash all their issues (and COVID is far from the only one), but I think the world has wised up to them unlike how they did in 2008.  Social media is going to be what gets them because unlike their last Olympics where a lot of people just shrugged their shoulders and moved on, that's not going to be the case here.  I'm not worried about them slipping up so much as not being able to defend their actions when pressured.  Because when the cameras are pointed at them and they're on stage in front of the world, people are going to start asking them the tough questions.  Let's see if they have answers.

"The awarding of the 2008 Olympics to Beijing was accompanied by the International Olympics Committee promising that the Games would act as a catalyst for human rights reform in China.

"Well, a widely acknowledged genocide in Xinjiang later, thousands of Tibetans arrested, imprisoned, displaced, tortured and killed later, the snuffing out of free speech and political freedoms in Hong Kong, and the trashing of the Sino-British Joint Declaration and imposition of their national security law later, that went well didn't it?"

Beijing 2022: MPs in House of Commons support diplomatic boycott of next year's Winter Olympics in China

https://www.skysports.com/olympics/news/15234/12356751/beijing-2022-mps-in-house-of-commons-support-diplomatic-boycott-of-next-years-winter-olympics-in-china

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

And I don’t think it will wash with the public. At least one country will announce they going to properly boycott soon, 

I‘m pretty sure Malawi will not attend.

• Haha 1

As I've stated a couple of times before, nothing short of China invading Taiwan (or something else foolishly big), before their opening ceremonies, will stop these Games from happening, nor makes the case for a boycott. Anything shy of that makes all the boycott blather moot.

1 hour ago, FYI said:

As I've stated a couple of times before, nothing short of China invading Taiwan (or something else foolishly big), before their opening ceremonies, will stop these Games from happening, nor makes the case for a boycott. Anything shy of that makes all the boycott blather moot.

Diplomatic boycotts will start to gain some steam once Tokyo is in the rearview mirror (and perhaps in part spurred by any pandemic-related fallout from that).  But it won't be more than that, IMO

On 7/17/2021 at 6:19 PM, Quaker2001 said:

Diplomatic boycotts will start to gain some steam once Tokyo is in the rearview mirror (and perhaps in part spurred by any pandemic-related fallout from that).  But it won't be more than that, IMO

America is about to accuse China of global hacking. How they can say it’s safe for athletes to go there is going to be a sight to see. 

Ok, so the forum won't let me submit any forms from my laptop in any browser (I can't even sign in to gamesbids anymore) but from my phone seems to work.

Edited by Rob.

6 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Could we see countries repeating what they did in 1980 and competing under the Olympic flag and skipping the ceremonies?

Because that‘ll impress Xi so much he‘ll close all Uyghur „re-education“ camps the next day?

China better be taking their bubble seriously, because Japan's bubble is already going horribly.  Again, it sucks, but China's earned this.  Everyone is still going to be as mad about COVID as before, and China is going to be stepping on eggshells primarily due to COVID, let alone human rights.

12 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Because that‘ll impress Xi so much he‘ll close all Uyghur „re-education“ camps the next day?

Of course not but it’s the type of thing that could say the country is boycotting and the athletes are going for pure sporting purposes. 

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1110767/us-commission-ioc-beijing-2022

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/us-lawmakers-urge-ioc-delay-or-move-chinas-2022-winter-olympics-2021-07-23/

Cross party support for a full USA boycott. Hard to see Biden objecting to this - and if he backs USOC know they have to comply or they will not be able to financially afford to survive. 

18 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1110767/us-commission-ioc-beijing-2022

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/us-lawmakers-urge-ioc-delay-or-move-chinas-2022-winter-olympics-2021-07-23/

Cross party support for a full USA boycott. Hard to see Biden objecting to this - and if he backs USOC know they have to comply or they will not be able to financially afford to survive. 

Not happening. This is a symbolic protest. No legislation has or will be passed regarding the Olympics. Team USA and the rest of the world will go to a Beijing.  At most there will be a diplomatic boycott. 

6 and a half months to go.  Its happening in China, or its not happening at all.  

It will happen in China, and it frankly it is going to be miserable for the Olympic athletes with all the procedures that will be in place for the pandemic.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, iceman530 said:

It will happen in China, and it frankly it is going to be miserable for the Olympic athletes with all the procedures that will be in place for the pandemic.

It won't be that bad but the restrictions will be tighter than Tokyo. Vaccinated athletes shouldn't have a problem though I would t rule out mandatory two week quarantines in the Olympic Village. Outside of that I expect China to be quite welcoming though I would not expect repeated reminders about wearing masks as in Tokyo as China will likely have stricter consequences for covid protocol violations.