Jump to content

Moved 2022 before its to late.


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Well I hope LA2028 is ready for China- and all its allies and newly found economic dependencies, to boycott 2028.... :(

This is all very sad. Maybe they will use the boycott call to highlight the issue- but not carry through. 

I suspect LA 2028 are worried on two fronts. Both above a revenge boycott but also the clear anti IOC position developing in the USA. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It feels like I subscribed to a newsfeed from a local paper in South Queensland.

Here's the issue the IOC has right now and I've seen some people echo this on Twitter... The IOC wants to play it both ways.  I am sure that they will gladly push the narrative this summer - assu

What’s that? Suicide for fear of death?    Never in a million years would athletes en masse go for that idea.

1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

In the modern Era NOC’s will find it near impossible to resist a boycott on Human Rights grounds.

Really?  How'd that work out in 2008 when China last hosted the Olympics?  Their human rights record has been progressively worse in the last 13 years, but there were no boycotts in 2008.  And there were no boycotts in 2014 when Russia invaded Crimea.  Ukraine still showed up at the Paralympics that year.

Your statement couldn't be further from the first.  National *Olympics* Committees exist to send athletes to the Olympics.  If they can't do that, what's the point?  They want absolutely nothing to do with political causes and as organizations (as opposed to the individuals that make them up) want to stay as far away from political messages as they can.  It will be the easiest thing in the world for them to "resist a boycott" as you put it.  Again, there's a reason there hasn't been a large scale boycott of an Olympics in nearly 40 years after there were 3 straight Olympics that had a major one.  Think about that for a moment if you're going to talk about this modern era

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

I suspect LA 2028 are worried on two fronts. Both above a revenge boycott but also the clear anti IOC position developing in the USA. 

China won't want to skip the 2028 Olympics.  They'll want to come here and dominate the medal table and prove their superiority.  The fear won't be an anti-IOC position, but rather the continuing anti-China sentiment in the United States.  Their athletes and dignitaries may feel less than welcome coming here and they'll undoubtedly spin it as the United States refusing to be hospitable to them.  7 years is a long time for the state of the world to evolve, but I'm fairly certain at this point, LA 2028 isn't losing sleep over what might happen with China.  Let alone from any position of an anti-IOC stance.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

Really?  How'd that work out in 2008 when China last hosted the Olympics?  Their human rights record has been progressively worse in the last 13 years, but there were no boycotts in 2008.  And there were no boycotts in 2014 when Russia invaded Crimea.  Ukraine still showed up at the Paralympics that year.

Your statement couldn't be further from the first.  National *Olympics* Committees exist to send athletes to the Olympics.  If they can't do that, what's the point?  They want absolutely nothing to do with political causes and as organizations (as opposed to the individuals that make them up) want to stay as far away from political messages as they can.  It will be the easiest thing in the world for them to "resist a boycott" as you put it.  Again, there's a reason there hasn't been a large scale boycott of an Olympics in nearly 40 years after there were 3 straight Olympics that had a major one.  Think about that for a moment if you're going to talk about this modern era

The campaign to boycott in the UK is lead by Muslim and Jewish groups. By refusing to boycott they will be get marked as a pro genocide group. Also unlike 1980 their is now a massive campaign targeting sponsors to not sponsor even athletes going to Bejing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Activists are talking about softer forms of a boycott, but have not ruled out the kind of boycott led by the United States in the 1980 Moscow Olympics; 65 countries stayed away, including China, and 80 participated.

"I think a diplomatic boycott would be very much welcomed by all of our communities. We have been looking towards accountability, and that is definitely part of that path toward accountability," said Zumretay Arkin, spokeswoman for the World Uyghur Congress.

"Of course the athletes, it's unfair to them. But athletes also have a conscience, an opinion of their own," she added.
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

The campaign to boycott in the UK is lead by Muslim and Jewish groups. By refusing to boycott they will be get marked as a pro genocide group. Also unlike 1980 their is now a massive campaign targeting sponsors to not sponsor even athletes going to Bejing. 

Yes, and that's a wonderful straw man for them to create.  Fair certain that the BOA isn't going to pay much attention to how Muslim and Jewish groups will label them.

You're right that the issue of sponsors will be more of a factor now than it was in 1980.  But like we've said before, the fact there's another Olympics between now and Beijing 2022 will make the anti-China folks jobs tougher to make that argument because they can't really do much until August.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Yes, and that's a wonderful straw man for them to create.  Fair certain that the BOA isn't going to pay much attention to how Muslim and Jewish groups will label them.

You're right that the issue of sponsors will be more of a factor now than it was in 1980.  But like we've said before, the fact there's another Olympics between now and Beijing 2022 will make the anti-China folks jobs tougher to make that argument because they can't really do much until August.

The BOA absolutely does nit want to be seen as a genocide supporter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2021 at 10:28 AM, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

If Rick Scott would just STFU already with all his hypocritical drivel. Listening to him preach about “standing up for freedom & defending democracy” is like listening to an alcoholic, drug-addict give a sermon on how to stay clean & sober. What a joke. :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

The BOA absolutely does nit want to be seen as a genocide supporter.

The BOA exists to prepare and send British athletes to the Olympic Games. Period. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

The BOA exists to prepare and send British athletes to the Olympic Games. Period. 

I think you mean "full stop" not "period"  So I'm told that's a thing in Great Britain.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...