Moved 2022 before its to late.

14 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Good. That's what they get for being a bunch of boomers out of touch with the current times. The fact they are still forcing Japan to host the games when COVID is far from over is extremely stupid.

They still have hosts for 2024, 2026, and 2028.  But if Tokyo gets cancelled, then it'll be tough finding a host for 2030 and 2032 and beyond.  Would be really shitty for the Olympic movement to have survived 2 World Wars, all the strife of the 70s, and to be done in by a global pandemic because they're such a terribly run organization.  

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My goodness, man.. get off Pavlovian streak of yours when you get excited anytime you see the slightest hint of what could look like a boycott. You do realize that Trump is about to no longer be

What’s that? Suicide for fear of death?    Never in a million years would athletes en masse go for that idea.

I mean, it's only fair that they are punished and equally get their games cancelled if Tokyo loses them. Even if they did not caused the pandemic, the fact that their lies and constant cover ups of th

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

They still have hosts for 2024, 2026, and 2028.  But if Tokyo gets cancelled, then it'll be tough finding a host for 2030 and 2032 and beyond.  Would be really shitty for the Olympic movement to have survived 2 World Wars, all the strife of the 70s, and to be done in by a global pandemic because they're such a terribly run organization.  

It will also get tough if the IOC forces Tokyo's hand so much to get the Olympics going this year at any cost. Each and every bid from a seriously functioning democracy afterwards will suffer enormous backlash if they want to risk getting into bed with the IOC after such a fiasco. It's pretty much a lose-lose situation for the IOC and I can't say they have my sympathy for this.

1 hour ago, StefanMUC said:

It will also get tough if the IOC forces Tokyo's hand so much to get the Olympics going this year at any cost. Each and every bid from a seriously functioning democracy afterwards will suffer enormous backlash if they want to risk getting into bed with the IOC after such a fiasco. It's pretty much a lose-lose situation for the IOC and I can't say they have my sympathy for this.

In fact that is more likely - The IOC is unlikely to cancel if Japan think they can safely manage it and major nations are secure in that belief and would publicly oppose cancellation being imposed by the IOC.

On 1/20/2021 at 5:43 PM, iceman530 said:

This was a very strange thing that the outgoing Trump administration did, because it was the right thing to do, but it was done to attempt to screw over Biden.  So ultimately they did the right thing..........out of spite.  It will have consequences certainly, and I was skeptical of any serious boycott talk, until this. The boycott may happen, the boycott may not happen, but I cant honestly say this means nothing.  This is obvious escalation, and that impetus to "do something" will be forced on multiple parties.  

My worthless opinion, its 30 percent this thing goes forward, 70 percent does not.  Initially I was about 40/60 it going forward, but this throws ten percent on the "no" weights for me.  It is not looking good.  Beating a dead horse, it should have been Almaty.  Sure, they have their own issues, but China has been an unmitigated disaster since awarding the games to them. The bid was tighter, more compact, has actual mountains, but I digress, thats neither here or there.  I don't think anyone could have predicted that things could have gone any worse;  Hong Kong, Corona Virus, Uighurs........  whats next, Taiwan??  It's going to make Sochi look like a well-oiled machine.

I honestly am thinking 2022 will see a boycott over nearly all the main winter countries bar Switzerland and maybe Austria and/or Sweden.

7 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Neither do I.  The IOC already had a pretty terrible reputation.  Obviously the pandemic isn't their fault, but this has further exposed what a terrible business partner they are.  They're fortunate they have 3 future hosts already locked in.  But tread carefully with Tokyo if they want willing participants for 2032 and maybe 2030

Many of the healthcare workers I know have gotten their first dose, and my parents have signed up for vaccination next month. The USA has done a pretty terrible job with Covid so far, but progress is being made quickly. If production of the vaccine is able to continue without supply shortages, most of the at-risk population should be vaccinated in developed countries by summer.

It won't be "over" by July, though. The only way to host the Olympics with even a modicum of safety would be to vaccinate all of the athletes, officials and games workers by June. And that means putting very healthy people in line ahead of the elderly, immunocompromised and infirm. If the NOC's try to do that they will face a massive PR backlash.

EDIT: Originally wrote "developing" instead of "developed".

Edited by Nacre
  • Like 1
On 1/23/2021 at 9:54 PM, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

I honestly am thinking 2022 will see a boycott over nearly all the main winter countries bar Switzerland and maybe Austria and/or Sweden.

Incursions to Taiwan have been happening for months and even years (though not at the same intensity). Its just China typical flexing at Taiwan to intimidate them, specially now that their current president does not want to bend the knee like the previous Kuomitang leaders did. China invading Taiwan, an island with its own army and weapons, would imply bloodshed and a war. If PRC government isn't this level of goddamn stupid, I doubt they will go straight for that option but keep intimidating to make taiwanese citizens feel scared and vote KMT back into power by next election.

At this point China is strong enough to take Taiwan if it really wants to. But that would likely trigger the surrounding countries (India, Japan, Vietnam, Australia, etc) to create a formal NATO-style alliance against it.

Hopefully the world is able to handle a rising China better than it handled a rising Germany a century ago.

On 1/26/2021 at 4:06 AM, Nacre said:

At this point China is strong enough to take Taiwan if it really wants to. But that would likely trigger the surrounding countries (India, Japan, Vietnam, Australia, etc) to create a formal NATO-style alliance against it.

Hopefully the world is able to handle a rising China better than it handled a rising Germany a century ago.

Would Vietnam go against China?

49 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

No such thing is taking place.  Stop making up false information and sharing it as if it's fact

13 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Would Vietnam go against China?

If they do it likely won't be through a pointless gesture like boycotting the Olympics . . .

I'll believe a boycott when I see it. China has way too much influence at this point. If people really cared about not letting China host, their victory in 2015 should had never been allowed to begin with. Now it's too late.

Either way, at the pace we're going their Olympics might get delayed/canceled too because Covid doesn't seem to end either by this year.

3 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

The headline is "How to protest China's human rights violations without boycotting the 2022 Olympics"

The entire article talks about how a boycott wouldn't accomplish much.  Why do you continue to be so ignorant as to believe that every time the word "boycott" is mentioned that it's more likely even when the article details why it shouldn't happen?

The GOP surely knows how to treat oppressive and abusive regimes. Their resolution to condemn those involved in the Capitol insurrection was remarkable...oh wait...

If, what greater powers may forbid, one of those pro-dictatorship folks wins in 2024, they will happily stand on the podium in summer 2028 and declare the Olympics open. Makes nice photo ops for a re-election campaign, even better than holding a bible upside down with tear gas dissipating in the back.

IOC and GOP are basically the same bunch of self-interest driven, privilege-protecting folks. They would never really get at each others‘ throats over something like human rights abuses that doesn‘t bring them money and/or power.