Jump to content

Moved 2022 before its to late.


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

This is why I think a boycot will happen - if sanctions are brought in the IOC might face being banned from trading with any US or British company if it trades with the Chinese regime

Do you understand how sanctions work?  It doesn't mean that 100% of all trade and commerce is cut off between 2 countries and that the IOC is "banned" from having any relations there.  It certainly doesn't mean it's impossible to run the games.  Pretty sure if that was anywhere on the table, it would be a much more prominent headline. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It feels like I subscribed to a newsfeed from a local paper in South Queensland.

Here's the issue the IOC has right now and I've seen some people echo this on Twitter... The IOC wants to play it both ways.  I am sure that they will gladly push the narrative this summer - assu

Nikki Haley talking about “upholding America’s guiding principles” on Faux News is absolutely hysterical! Considering that’s not what they were doing at all when they were peddling the big, fat lie fo

28 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

 

Quote

Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) Secretary-General David Shoemaker admitted that there are concerns about the human rights situation in China, but rejected suggestions that countries might boycott the Beijing Winter Olympics in 2022.

That's the first paragraph of the article.  Not sure if you read that part or just skipped it.  If you read the rest of the article, it will remind you why boycotts are generally ineffectual one here would likely accomplish absolutely nothing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

 

That's the first paragraph of the article.  Not sure if you read that part or just skipped it.  If you read the rest of the article, it will remind you why boycotts are generally ineffectual one here would likely accomplish absolutely nothing.

But it will happen - it's very clear it will happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

But it will happen - it's very clear it will happen.

How is it very clear?  Only in your extremely biased opinion is anything clear.  A boycott is *possible* but it is far from a done deal like you want to make it seem to be.  You seriously need to stop looking at every piece of news that mentions a boycott - particularly those from official sources saying that they DON'T playing on boycotting - that it's going to happen just because you're so sure it will.

47 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

The Tory party has a 80 seat majority but tomorrow an anti china amendment which they oppose is set to pass - they don't have the ability to refuse a demand from the china hawks to not remove funding if the BOA wont boycott.

Don't have the ability to refuse a demand to not do something.  Has anyone ever told you you're a very negative person?

We've heard this from you before that some major decision was coming that would change the course of participation at the Olympics.  How's that working out thus far?  I know next to nothing about British politics, but none of your repeated babbling bullshit makes me think anything is going to change in the near term with regards to a boycott.  When we get to the summer and autumn, especially once we're past the Tokyo games, then let's take a look at this again.  Nothing of substance is likely to happen before then no matter how many times you want to post about it in this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This failed to pass today, but it's likely an amended version could pass next week. I've said a few times in this thread I think a full blown boycott is unlikely, but more likely than it was for previous editions. I still think that...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rob. said:

This failed to pass today, but it's likely an amended version could pass next week. I've said a few times in this thread I think a full blown boycott is unlikely, but more likely than it was for previous editions. I still think that...

 

I've seen rumours trump might tonight sign an order demanding a boycott knowing it's going to be harder for Biden to outright reverse such an order.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

I've seen rumours trump might tonight sign an order demanding a boycott knowing it's going to be harder for Biden to outright reverse such an order.

LOL. The only reason it would be harder for Biden to reverse it is because it would add up to the pile of papers he'll have to sign to reverse the past few years. The Trump era will soon be remembered like the political equivalent of Dallas season 9, I hope: As if it never really happened (except for 400K Covid deaths, domestic terrorism and the sucking up to tyrants around the globe).

Whatever executive orders the orange fascist has given in recent days or until tomorrow noon is completely meaningless anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

I've seen rumours trump might tonight sign an order demanding a boycott knowing it's going to be harder for Biden to outright reverse such an order.

Can I call bullshit on this one?  Where could you have possibly seen rumors demanding that Trump sign an order demanding a boycott?  Now I'm sure you're just trolling.

The 2022 Olympics are way down low on Trump's list of things he cares about right now.  Probably somewhere on the same level as "the American people."

Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a very strange thing that the outgoing Trump administration did, because it was the right thing to do, but it was done to attempt to screw over Biden.  So ultimately they did the right thing..........out of spite.  It will have consequences certainly, and I was skeptical of any serious boycott talk, until this. The boycott may happen, the boycott may not happen, but I cant honestly say this means nothing.  This is obvious escalation, and that impetus to "do something" will be forced on multiple parties.  

My worthless opinion, its 30 percent this thing goes forward, 70 percent does not.  Initially I was about 40/60 it going forward, but this throws ten percent on the "no" weights for me.  It is not looking good.  Beating a dead horse, it should have been Almaty.  Sure, they have their own issues, but China has been an unmitigated disaster since awarding the games to them. The bid was tighter, more compact, has actual mountains, but I digress, thats neither here or there.  I don't think anyone could have predicted that things could have gone any worse;  Hong Kong, Corona Virus, Uighurs........  whats next, Taiwan??  It's going to make Sochi look like a well-oiled machine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:
7 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

No they didn't.  Suggesting the possibility of a boycott is not predicting a boycott.  Stop jumping on any mention of that word is if it carries the kind of weight you want it to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iceman530 said:

This was a very strange thing that the outgoing Trump administration did, because it was the right thing to do, but it was done to attempt to screw over Biden.  So ultimately they did the right thing..........out of spite.  It will have consequences certainly, and I was skeptical of any serious boycott talk, until this. The boycott may happen, the boycott may not happen, but I cant honestly say this means nothing.  This is obvious escalation, and that impetus to "do something" will be forced on multiple parties.  

My worthless opinion, its 30 percent this thing goes forward, 70 percent does not.  Initially I was about 40/60 it going forward, but this throws ten percent on the "no" weights for me.  It is not looking good.  Beating a dead horse, it should have been Almaty.  Sure, they have their own issues, but China has been an unmitigated disaster since awarding the games to them. The bid was tighter, more compact, has actual mountains, but I digress, thats neither here or there.  I don't think anyone could have predicted that things could have gone any worse;  Hong Kong, Corona Virus, Uighurs........  whats next, Taiwan??  It's going to make Sochi look like a well-oiled machine.

1 hour ago, iceman530 said:

The literal, actual concentration camp thing is absolutely not a good look, so the IOC is gonna get all thats coming to them for this.  An astute eye could have saw this coming, but they were only interested in $$$.  

It was a 44-40 vote between Beijing and Almaty.  That's how strongly the anti-China sentiment at the time was that they nearly lost out on an Olympics to Kazakhstan.  And obviously if the IOC had it to do over, that vote total would probably be a lot different.

Yes, it's definitely an interesting parting gift that Trump left for Biden.  I think this will continue to gain more steam, but I'm still far from convinced the end result will be a boycott.  Way too much to deal with for a decree to come from the top that the only solution is for American athletes to skip the Olympics.  I'm growing increasingly certain that top politicians and U.S. officials won't be there.  But I don't know if that will extend to the athletes at this point

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 5:26 PM, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Just think - if  Tokyo 2021 is cancelled and Bejing 2022 sees a mass boycott the IOC might go bust.

Good. That's what they get for being a bunch of boomers out of touch with the current times. The fact they are still forcing Japan to host the games when COVID is far from over is extremely stupid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2020 at 4:07 AM, Nacre said:

Nationalists generally love the Olympics as a venue for national competition. I doubt Trump would actually want to boycott the Olympics. Carter was a very different sort of president.

Blaming China for a disease that has killed thousands of their people is simply stupid. Should the French hate America because phylloxera came from America and destroys European grapes?

Do you really think he would do it? If he could?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...