Jump to content

Moved 2022 before its to late.


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nikki Haley talking about “upholding America’s guiding principles” on Faux News is absolutely hysterical! Considering that’s not what they were doing at all when they were peddling the big, fat lie fo

My goodness, man.. get off Pavlovian streak of yours when you get excited anytime you see the slightest hint of what could look like a boycott. You do realize that Trump is about to no longer be

What’s that? Suicide for fear of death?    Never in a million years would athletes en masse go for that idea.

4 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

How can anyone think a team will be allowed to go to a country on a trade embargo list.

4 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Ditto it is likely slave labour has been used.

 

A lot of people are in denial about how likely a boycot is going to be.

Spoken like a Trump supporter.  You keep posting opinion pieces but how often have we heard from any actual officials about the possibility of a boycott?  It's not as likely as you want to think it's going to be.

I said it before, I'll say it again.. if you're talking about a boycott of politicians and other dignitaries, that I could totally see happening.  But a mass boycott of countries preventing athletes from competing?  That seems a lot less likely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Spoken like a Trump supporter.  You keep posting opinion pieces but how often have we heard from any actual officials about the possibility of a boycott?  It's not as likely as you want to think it's going to be.

I said it before, I'll say it again.. if you're talking about a boycott of politicians and other dignitaries, that I could totally see happening.  But a mass boycott of countries preventing athletes from competing?  That seems a lot less likely.

I bet you tomorrow the UK government refuses to rule out ordering the team to withdraw when challenged during a debate on human rights in China.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

I bet you tomorrow the UK government refuses to rule out ordering the team to withdraw when challenged during a debate on human rights in China.

What kind of a bet is "refuses to rule out" supposed to be?  So you're saying they're *not* going to make a decision?  Way to go out on a limb on that one.

If there is going to be a boycott, at some point, some official (who actually has the authority to make a decision, not simply a politician with the ability to put pressure on someone else) has to say "we refuse to send our athletes to the Olympics in China."  It can't be as simple as a double negative, they would have to rule *in* a boycott.  And that's not a small step like you sometimes want to make it out to be. 

The default starting position is that countries will participate in the 2022 Olympics.  Great Britain needs to be convinced to *not* do that.  It's a distinct possibility, no question.  But with Tokyo and Beijing so close to each other on the calendar, that's going to be a hard sell to tell Summer athletes they can compete at the Olympics but then 6 months later that Winter athletes can't.  Good luck with that

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

What kind of a bet is "refuses to rule out" supposed to be?  So you're saying they're *not* going to make a decision?  Way to go out on a limb on that one.

If there is going to be a boycott, at some point, some official (who actually has the authority to make a decision, not simply a politician with the ability to put pressure on someone else) has to say "we refuse to send our athletes to the Olympics in China."  It can't be as simple as a double negative, they would have to rule *in* a boycott.  And that's not a small step like you sometimes want to make it out to be. 

The default starting position is that countries will participate in the 2022 Olympics.  Great Britain needs to be convinced to *not* do that.  It's a distinct possibility, no question.  But with Tokyo and Beijing so close to each other on the calendar, that's going to be a hard sell to tell Summer athletes they can compete at the Olympics but then 6 months later that Winter athletes can't.  Good luck with that

They wont make a decision yet but they won't rule out telling people - they leave it to the autumn.

 

The Goverment in the UK is now going on about People in China eating bats - it would be very them to say the IOC won't move it so we not letting you go - if you angry blame President XI and the IOC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2021 at 2:16 PM, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

They wont make a decision yet but they won't rule out telling people - they leave it to the autumn.

 

The Goverment in the UK is now going on about People in China eating bats - it would be very them to say the IOC won't move it so we not letting you go - if you angry blame President XI and the IOC.

16 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

I'm not sure how financially the new sanctions against china would even allow the olympicd to go ahead.

You are really detached from reality right now trying to push a narrative.  On what planet is there any expectation that the Olympics wouldn't be allowed to go ahead?  You're bordering on trolling right now

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

You are really detached from reality right now trying to push a narrative.  On what planet is there any expectation that the Olympics wouldn't be allowed to go ahead?  You're bordering on trolling right now

If no western company can trade with China how will atheltes be able to enter because they wont even be flights there

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

If no western company can trade with China how will atheltes be able to enter because they wont even be flights there

There's no less than 5 airlines right now offering direct flights from Heathrow to mainland China and 2 with direct flights to Beijing.  What planet are you living on that you think there will no longer be flights from Western nations to China?

1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Who knows what will happen - I just don't think you can underestimate the strength of anti-china feeling in the UK and the popular support a boycott would have.

Popular support from who?  You're right, I don't know how the UK as a whole feels about China.  But you're making a lot of assumptions here about how that is going to manifest itself into an Olympic boycott.  And I think *you* are under-estimating what a major step that is and the process to make it happen.  That's not a small political statement for elected officials to make.

 I agree there's a distinct possibility it'll happen.  That decision won't get made until at least the fall though.  Posting any and every article discussing the thought of a boycott doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canadian-olympic-committee-says-boycotting-beijing-games-would-be-misguided-1.5265375

Seems to be significant support in Canada - not sure if the committee will be able to hold out for 13 months especially if the government changes and a openly pro boycott one takes office.

So where the headline says Canadian Olympic Committee says boycotting Beijing Games would be 'misguided', that means nothing to you?  Where in this article are you seeing "significant support in Canada"?  

Once again, you need to stop treating anytime someone tweets their thoughts about a boycott as "significant support."  It takes less than a minute for someone to write a 280 character message indicating they favor a boycott.  Much MUCH harder to actually advocate for that with the people that actually make the decision.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

So where the headline says Canadian Olympic Committee says boycotting Beijing Games would be 'misguided', that means nothing to you?  Where in this article are you seeing "significant support in Canada"?  

Once again, you need to stop treating anytime someone tweets their thoughts about a boycott as "significant support."  It takes less than a minute for someone to write a 280 character message indicating they favor a boycott.  Much MUCH harder to actually advocate for that with the people that actually make the decision.  

Two of the biggest opposition parties advocate it.

Fundamentally it's government's who make the decisions - unlike 1980 I doubt they will be pro attending rebellions against pro boycotting governments.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

In fact its quite possible the uk commons might pass a motion calling for the games to be moved in the coming months.

In fact, it's all but a mathematical certainty that the IOC is not going to give 2 shits about where the UK commons thinks the games should be held.  Do you still not understand how all this works?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Two of the biggest opposition parties advocate it.

Fundamentally it's government's who make the decisions - unlike 1980 I doubt they will be pro attending rebellions against pro boycotting governments.

Advocating something and actually doing it are 2 completely different things.  The default is and always will be that a country will send its athletes to an Olympics.  In order for that not to happen, someone (and someone high up in the chain of command) has to say "we will not send our athletes to the Olympics."  Let's say who is willing to put their political capital on the line to say that.  The assumption you need to work off of is that athletes will be attending the Olympics because that's what athletes do.  You can't use the "well, we don't like China" as the starting point and think the onus is on the Olympic committee to convince them otherwise.  That kind of backwards thinking is not what's going to determine what happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2021 at 3:15 PM, Quaker2001 said:

You're right, I don't know how the UK as a whole feels about China.

Reading his posts, nor does he. And I say that as someone who signed this - https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300146

I'm wary whether punishing athletes ought to be part of any sanctions, however.

Overall, I doubt the strength of feeling is any different from in the US. A distant, occasionally talked about issue, but not front and centre. If anything, I would guess it's greater in the US given Trump's "China Virus" rhetoric which - for all his many faults - isn't something our PM has engaged in.

Olympics going to countries with human rights abuses isn't anything new. But why would there be a boycott of this one when there wasn't of so many others? It's marginally more likely imo, there have been murmurings, but I'm yet to see anything that will come close to tipping the balance.

 

Edited by Rob.
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rob. said:

Reading his posts, nor does he. And I say that as someone who signed this - https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300146

I'm wary whether punishing athletes ought to be part of any sanctions, however.

Overall, I doubt the strength of feeling is any different from in the US. A distant, occasionally talked about issue, but not front and centre. If anything, I would guess it's greater in the US given Trump's "China Virus" rhetoric which - for all his many faults - isn't something our PM has engaged in.

Olympics going to countries with human rights abuses isn't anything new. But why would there be a boycott of this one when there wasn't of so many others? It's marginally more likely imo, there have been murmurings, but I'm yet to see anything that will come close to tipping the balance.

 

From 1976 to 1988, every Summer Olympics was affected by some sort of boycott (some of the nations not attending the `88 Olympics did so for financial reasons rather than political).  Since then, there have been none.

It goes without saying that there are a lot of people who have strong political opinions - and thanks to social media, a very quick and easy avenue to express those opinions - given the state of the world right now.  No question there's a ton of animosity against China.  I still don't see that turning into Olympic boycotts though.  Not without a very clear and stated purpose of what that's intended to accomplish.  Which is going to be a tough sell since this is the same country they went to 13 years ago in spite of human rights issues that got swept under the rug for the benefit of showing a false façade to the world.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

China is likely to be officially declared a state committing active genocide so why do you think there will much hesitation to not boycott.

Do you listen to yourself sometimes?  "much hesitation to not boycott"?

You need to reverse that.  The question is will there be a determination *to* boycott.  Right now, there is no boycott.  You can't assume it's going to happen and then it's a matter of stopping it from happening.  Again, unless there is a political statement and agenda behind "we are not sending athletes to compete in your country" and it needs to be more than "we don't like your political policies."

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Rob. said:

Uighur campaign groups targeting sponsors...obviously relevant to this thread, but also obviously entirely expected...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/18/uighur-campaigners-to-target-2022-beijing-winter-olympics-sponsors

This is why I think a boycot will happen - if sanctions are brought in the IOC might face being banned from trading with any US or British company if it trades with the Chinese regime

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...