Moved 2022 before its to late.

3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Things got worse in 2015 which is why we have an Olympics upcoming in Beijing.  One would have thought that's where they felt cornered and were forced to make changes, but it didn't really happen.  Now, they have 4 future hosts lined up and all they ever need is 1 willing city that wants to host their even to think that everything is okay.  All things considered, things are better now than they were a few years ago.  Remains to be seen how quickly the IOC and the world can move on from the fallout of having an Olympics in China, but the silver lining for anyone involved will always be "it'll be better with Paris and Milan-Cortina"

No doubt I'd agree that things are better with the SOGs. The WOGs on the other hand are in dire straits which leaves me to believe there's backroom negotiations going on right now between the IOC, USOC, and SLC to get SLC to take the 2030 Olympics. If those negotiations fail and SLC is not at least named the preferred candidate at the session in Beijing, then I think you could see desperation set in on the part of the IOC. What would come next I don't know. While I think things will be better with Milan-Cortina, I'm not entirely convinced yet that the budget for those Olympics won't skyrocket once the costs of practically rebuilding the sliding track and constructing a speed skating oval and new ice hockey arena with sketchy legacy plans at best. Now if Milan could somehow get Turin involved, then I think you have a viable low-cost option.

10 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Looks like this is starting to gain traction again..

Diplomatic boycott of the Winter Olympics in Beijing expected to be announced

Cue RWB telling us how this is going to turn into a full boycott in 3.. 2.. 1...

Nah, even Trump has said that a full athlete boycott isn't the way to go as it isn't fair to the athletes and it didn't work in 1980.  RWB will settle for a diplomatic boycott because that's all we're going to get at this point.

1 minute ago, Karenina said:

Nah, even Trump has said that a full athlete boycott isn't the way to go as it isn't fair to the athletes and it didn't work in 1980.  RWB will settle for a diplomatic boycott because that's all we're going to get at this point.

There were people (not here, but still vocal on social media) that still thought a week before the opening ceremony in Tokyo that the Olympics wouldn't happen.  In the same vein, we can be sure that RWB will be pushing his boycott theories until the last possible minute.  But then again, he's a lethal combo of trolling and stupid, so there's that

• Like 1

China is probably pretty much like this right now

oh-no-anyway.gif

They will continue with their circus as if nothing happened and i'm sure they don't need America validation for it. If anything, this is just another nail more in the Olympics prestige coffin.

Actually, from news reports, Beijing officials are pretty pissed-off about it. Saying that by pulling this, Quote “it’s a travesty of the Olympic spirit, it is political provocation, and an ‘offense’ to 1.4 Billion Chinese people. If the U.S. is insistent on going down the ‘wrong path’, China will take necessary and resolute countermeasures”. End quote 

So in other words, you can expect tit-for-tat at L.A. 2028 (& possibly SLC 2030/34). Which, in the end, results in meaningless diplomatic drama (like it did for Moscow 1980 & L.A. 1984). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Karenina said:

LOL - the IOC's all "well, as long as the athletes are there, you do you, USA, and we'll just continue on our merry little way, disregarding all of China's human rights abuses."

If the US athletes boycotted, would there be fewer human rights abuses in China?  Probably not.  The way to hurt China is for businesses to stop pouring money into China.  I know that's probably asking too much of big corporations, but China is going to be committing human rights abuses long after the Olympics are gone.

5 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

China is probably pretty much like this right now

oh-no-anyway.gif

They will continue with their circus as if nothing happened and i'm sure they don't need America validation for it. If anything, this is just another nail more in the Olympics prestige coffin.

I don't know if I agree with that last part.  They'll shrug off what the United States is doing, but I'm fairly confident they're not happy about it.

4 hours ago, FYI said:

Actually, from news reports, Beijing officials are pretty pissed-off about it. Saying that by pulling this, Quote “it’s a travesty of the Olympic spirit, it is political provocation, and an ‘offense’ to 1.4 Billion Chinese people. If the U.S. is insistent on going down the ‘wrong path’, China will take necessary and resolute countermeasures”. End quote 

So in other words, you can expect tit-for-tat at L.A. 2028 (& possibly SLC 2030/34). Which, in the end, results in meaningless diplomatic drama (like it did for Moscow 1980 & L.A. 1984). 

Darn straight they're pissed off.  How much PR value would there be for China to have President Biden in a photo alongside President Xi?  Now that's not going to happen.  Sending American dignitaries to the Olympics is often about grandstanding, but now that's not going to happen for them.  Many have said this is an empty, meaningless gesture, but there are ramifications.  China won't admit to them publicly, but there are at the very least some negative consequences for them here.  What happens come 2028 remains to be seen.  The good thing for the United States is that Chinese delegates skipping an American Olympics is a less impactful move than what's happening here

3 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Fresh from German athletes‘ association: 

https://twitter.com/athleten_de/status/1467923759214567424?s=21

Not that this will lead to a boycott, but it is getting uncomfortable for the IOC.

Good.  I've said for a long time that I'm against an athlete boycott, but I'm all for the IOC being made uncomfortable.  They created this mess, so they have to deal with it

• Like 1

Unsurprising given how low the relationships between Australia and China felt over the last couple of years. I doubt SK will join into the boycott given how the current president is friendly with Xi. Japan might maintain neutrality but will probably not send much representation.

Given how also terribly bad the Strait relationships are, its very unlikely Taiwan will send any representant either (they surprisingly sent some for the 2008 Olympics despite the disputed status between the two).

Germany since today has a new government. The new Foreign Minister from the Greens has already triggered Beijing with some remarks. In turn, Xi is courting new Chancellor Olaf Scholz (Social Democrat), so at the moment difficult to predict though boycott would surely be well received among the public here.

Just like a Christmas party that isn't to be called a Christmas party, it looks like we're doing a diplomatic boycott that isn't to be called a diplomatic boycott.

So says the man who makes Worzel Gummidge look like James Bond, anwyay

Edited by Rob.

Lol, is he still around. I just skimmed through much of that pompous talk (& he must've grit his teeth, too, when he had to type Paris 2024 :lol:), since he's such an 'expert' on the Olympics lol.

But the whole thing seems disingenuous, when the last thing he says, is that the Chinese have long memories, & that L.A. is hosting the 2028 Olympics.

Much like I said last week, that it'll be tit-for-tat in 2028 when the Chinese announce a diplomatic boycott of their own. And THAT's what AA is really upset over. Cause it'll stain 'his precious', only beautiful in Lala-land Olympics. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...