Moved 2022 before its to late.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

I think a full boycott is going to happen. Peng Shuai will be the final catalyst.

(don't feed the troll.. don't feed the troll.. don't feed the troll.... damnit, must feed the troll!)

What exactly is a "full boycott"?  Are you talking about the United States?  Or more countries than that?  Of course you think that, because then your whole presence on this board makes no sense.  We're less than 3 months out from the Olympics.  A diplomatic boycott is highly likely at this point.  A full boycott is not.

Actually, the whole Peng story can develop into something super embarrassing for the (so far silent) IOC. WTA has given some strong statements already and don‘t seem willing to bow to Chinese efforts to keep this under the rug.

Of course this will not lead to a „full boycott“, but it adds yet another topic to the list of issues we might get unwanted (by IOC and China) comments/protests by athletes about.

• Like 2

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say Beijing 2022 will be a complete disaster for China if they don't sort this out soon. The IOC won't be able to maintain careful neutrality and stave off protests from athletes over this. And I suspect many, many athletes will want to protest.

'Complex' issues around human rights/politics are one thing, but disappearing an athlete has the potential to cause the mother of all storms and be THE sole talking point of Beijing 2022. Every press conference, many podium ceremonies, interviews etc. And there'll be no way to talk round it, none of the IOC's usual guff about their presence having a positive long-term impact will wash.

The IOC will have to side with the athletes and, I suspect, drop bans on protests.

In short, if she's ok China needs to prove it. This will hugely escalate if not.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Actually, the whole Peng story can develop into something super embarrassing for the (so far silent) IOC. WTA has given some strong statements already and don‘t seem willing to bow to Chinese efforts to keep this under the rug.

Of course this will not lead to a „full boycott“, but it adds yet another topic to the list of issues we might get unwanted (by IOC and China) comments/protests by athletes about.

It's already embarrassing for the IOC.  They're trying to tiptoe around this without actually acknowledging China.  Once again, the organization that will claim political wins when it's convenient for them refuses to pretend like there's anything wrong with China.  I agree that it won't sway Olympic committees to boycott (what governments do is a different story.. I realize that pretty much everywhere other than the United States, those 2 entities aren't separate like they are here), but yes, it just adds another layer of scrutiny.  To that end..

2 hours ago, Rob. said:

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say Beijing 2022 will be a complete disaster for China if they don't sort this out soon. The IOC won't be able to maintain careful neutrality and stave off protests from athletes over this. And I suspect many, many athletes will want to protest.

'Complex' issues around human rights/politics are one thing, but disappearing an athlete has the potential to cause the mother of all storms and be THE sole talking point of Beijing 2022. Every press conference, many podium ceremonies, interviews etc. And there'll be no way to talk round it, none of the IOC's usual guff about their presence having a positive long-term impact will wash.

The IOC will have to side with the athletes and, I suspect, drop bans on protests.

In short, if she's ok China needs to prove it. This will hugely escalate if not.

They sure do.  If 2008 taught us anything, it's that once the attention of the world is really on China and the media is on the ground in Beijing and the cameras are rolling, the Chinese will do anything and everything they can to sanitize their image.  That's going to be hard if they don't resolve this one.  And the IOC will have to address this more directly since she is after all a 3-time Olympian.

If this saga continues to drag out, I could easily see individual athletes pull out in protest and China will be powerless to stop it.

Time is on China's side at this point because most winter sports seasons haven't hit full steam yet.  But we're not too far off from Beijing 2022 being well within sight.  Once that happens, if this is still a lingering issue, it's going to be a major problem

12 hours ago, iceman530 said:

This is me standing in line for the popcorn.........  Im getting excited.  It will be one of the more.......interesting games of our lives, lol

There's a part of me that just wants to get through all this and have it be over with and just move on to Paris and Milan-Cortina and LA.  But it's still the Olympics.  Hopeful that once we hit February, we'll be talking about sports and the athletes (well, other sites will be.. this one doesn't care so much about sports and the athletes, here that's just filler between the ceremonies), and most of the talk about the host country will be muted or at least ignorable.  Not sure if that'll be the case though.  Especially because...

6 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Serena is on the Peng case now. And Nicholas Mahut has directly addressed Bach in a call for action.

It’s already blowing up right into the IOC’s faces…

I've said for awhile that once the attention of the world is on China, they'll need to at least temporarily sanitize their image to at least give off the impression they're not a human rights abusing genocidal regine.  This saga with Peng Shuai is not helping their cause.  And it's really not helping the IOC, because they continue to turn a blind eye and it's only a matter of time before people start to notice.  At which point, both viewers and probably even athletes will start to say no, and likely do so very publicly.

On 11/18/2021 at 5:39 AM, StefanMUC said:

I bet it leads to at least 10 countries fully boycotting. 

7 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

I've said for awhile that once the attention of the world is on China, they'll need to at least temporarily sanitize their image to at least give off the impression they're not a human rights abusing genocidal regine.  This saga with Peng Shuai is not helping their cause.  And it's really not helping the IOC, because they continue to turn a blind eye and it's only a matter of time before people start to notice.  At which point, both viewers and probably even athletes will start to say no, and likely do so very publicly.

I think the IOC is more than ready to do that for them. Their silence indicates as such. After the Olympics you'll hear some token statements about human rights and the Olympics but I just don't see any retribution coming China's way. If anything the more time that passes, the better for China unfortunately especially in the day of social media where what's trending changes on a dime.  When the curtain rises on the opening ceremonies I would bet this will be pushed by the wayside and the athletes will be told it is not up to discussion or protest. This situation reminds me a lot of the Saudi Arabia-Jamal Khashoggi saga and he was murdered in a Saudi embassy on audio and while there was some protest it died down quickly. Meanwhile the likes of the OCA have no issue with KSA hosting major sporting events.

• Like 1

Even if Peng Shuai turns out to be safe and well the fact it's even a question raises questions.   If Tokyo 2020 can be delayed a year then Beijing can be axed.   If sponsors can pull out of other events for much lesser reasons then they can pull out of this too.

Scrap it and sort out some sort of centenial event in 2024 instead.

5 hours ago, Brekkie Boy said:

Even if Peng Shuai turns out to be safe and well the fact it's even a question raises questions.   If Tokyo 2020 can be delayed a year then Beijing can be axed.   If sponsors can pull out of other events for much lesser reasons then they can pull out of this too.

Scrap it and sort out some sort of centenial event in 2024 instead.

The sponsors aren't going anywhere. Trying to cancel the Olympics over the Peng situation would be the equivalent of FIFA trying to cancel the World Cup in Qatar. FIFA knows Qatar could create a legal nightmare for them. I'm sure China could so the same with the IOC.

14 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

So this confirms that Bach is really just a puppet on Xi’s strings.

It does not mean a thing when it comes to Peng’s real fate.

My initial thought reading Dan Roan's tweet was this is excellent, but the write-up on the Olympic site is bizarre. I really don't know what to make of it. It certainly hasn't resolved things.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1