Moved 2022 before its to late.

6 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

2 things here..

1) The House of Commons has zero power or influence over where the Olympics are held and they know that.  So I can assure you the IOC gives negative fucks about this.

2) Maybe the fact you're just sharing this 2 months after the fact offers up how ineffectual a motion it is.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

2 things here..

1) The House of Commons has zero power or influence over where the Olympics are held and they know that.  So I can assure you the IOC gives negative fucks about this.

Worth pointing out, this isn't the UK urging the IOC to do or not do something, this is the House Of Commons urging the UK government to institute a diplomatic boycott. It's not binding on the government and the debate wasn't well attended.

As far as I know, the government has yet to act or even respond to the House's recommendation.

All that said, the bit of the speech I found on YouTube is worth a listen...

Also worth adding, Tim Loughton is one of our MPs who has been sanctioned by China for talking about the Uyghur situation.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/china-sanctions-uk-tory-mps-b1822830.html

Just because we scoff a RWB's delusions about what will and won't happen, doesn't mean Loughton and others like him aren't in the right.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

The Press here in the UK are speculating that China might invade Taiwan soon. I can’t see them doing it before the Olympics but if they do that would make boycotts much more likely.

I’ve been saying that along, that it would take something that big (& dumb) on the part of China, for a total boycott to take place.

And yeah, if they’re smart, they’re not doing anything like that before February. But anything less than that, is all moot blathering about a boycott. 

12 hours ago, Rob. said:

Worth pointing out, this isn't the UK urging the IOC to do or not do something, this is the House Of Commons urging the UK government to institute a diplomatic boycott. It's not binding on the government and the debate wasn't well attended.

As far as I know, the government has yet to act or even respond to the House's recommendation.

All that said, the bit of the speech I found on YouTube is worth a listen...

Also worth adding, Tim Loughton is one of our MPs who has been sanctioned by China for talking about the Uyghur situation.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/china-sanctions-uk-tory-mps-b1822830.html

Just because we scoff a RWB's delusions about what will and won't happen, doesn't mean Loughton and others like him aren't in the right.

Thanks for the clarification, as well as sharing the video.  Needless to say I'm naive when it comes to UK politics.

And yea, I have no issue with anyone calling out China or making a motion that we need to acknowledge that in some form with the upcoming Olympics.  I've just never bought into the idea that it will result in any sort of massive organized boycott. 

Again, very much could see diplomatic boycotts becoming a reality.  But I still think when it comes to individuals, especially the athletes, that it will inevitably be their decision and each of them will deal with the consequences.  I just hope that the narrative does not become one where athletes are considered complicit in China's wrong-doing simply by participating.  As the story goes, those athletes that missed out on the 1980 Olympics - whose decision was forced upon them - are certainly never going to be remembered that their sacrifices somehow made the world a better place.

On 9/15/2021 at 2:24 PM, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

It’s easy to tell that the majority of people in the west hate China for Covid and other issues. Polls have shown in Canada for example the majority want their country boycott the games. 

Sorry RWB.  Justin Trudeau and the Liberals win.

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2021 at 5:14 AM, Rob. said:

I'm not saying a lot of RWB's posts haven't been crazy wishful thinking, but this situation might be one to keep an eye on.

The Conservative leader has been outspoken on this and is leading the polls.

Caveats: I believe Canada uses the same stupid FPTP electoral system as us, so I have no idea if that lead would actually translate into a victory. And would O'Toole be as outspoken on this if he were PM? And more importantly, would he actually be willing to act on his words and take on China in this way?

CBC and CTV have called the election.  Liberal Win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

So maybe that boycott thing didn‘t draw the masses to vote for that Tool(e)? What a surprise!

Well, obviously not on that issue! :lol: But he did get people voting for him, it's just that millions were thrown out....

Like in 2019, the [Conservative] party is projected to have won the popular vote. But the first-past-the-post system - awarding victory to the candidate with most votes in any given constituency - means that has not translated to seats won.

Edited by Rob.

Well, that‘s FPTP for you…

Germany is dealing with this in a usually very complex German way: Since half the seats (this coming Sunday) are constituency with FPTP („first vote“), but the composition of Bundestag us determined by the % of the „second vote“, if a party gets more constituencies than the share should be, this will result in additional seats for the other parties. Nominally, we have 598 MPs, but right now we have over 700 due to that and if polls for Sunday are right and conservatives get massive losses in % but still hang on to their constituency strongholds, it might be 800-900, worst case even over 1000. Reform so far failed because conservatives were in power and didn‘t want to give up their advantage in this system.

But I digress…Beijing 2022 is still on, and even if it doesn’t happen, at least it won‘t be the Canadian voters that pulled the plug.

12 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Well, that‘s FPTP for you…

Germany is dealing with this in a usually very complex German way: Since half the seats (this coming Sunday) are constituency with FPTP („first vote“), but the composition of Bundestag us determined by the % of the „second vote“, if a party gets more constituencies than the share should be, this will result in additional seats for the other parties. Nominally, we have 598 MPs, but right now we have over 700 due to that and if polls for Sunday are right and conservatives get massive losses in % but still hang on to their constituency strongholds, it might be 800-900, worst case even over 1000. Reform so far failed because conservatives were in power and didn‘t want to give up their advantage in this system.

But I digress…Beijing 2022 is still on, and even if it doesn’t happen, at least it won‘t be the Canadian voters that pulled the plug.

I realize I could look it up but I assume the 5% threshold still applies for a party to win any seats (if they don't win a constituency)?