Moved 2022 before its to late.

On 7/26/2021 at 5:28 PM, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1110767/us-commission-ioc-beijing-2022

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/us-lawmakers-urge-ioc-delay-or-move-chinas-2022-winter-olympics-2021-07-23/

Cross party support for a full USA boycott. Hard to see Biden objecting to this - and if he backs USOC know they have to comply or they will not be able to financially afford to survive. 

The amount of authority that POTUS has over the US Olympic Committee is very low, especially compared to 1980 with the USOPC wasn't the organization that it is now.  Whether or not there are Olympians in China from the United States will not ultimately be determined by Joe Biden.  And I can promise you the USOPC will tell the White House that they're going and for them not to stand in their way.

On 7/30/2021 at 11:35 AM, Quaker2001 said:

The amount of authority that POTUS has over the US Olympic Committee is very low, especially compared to 1980 with the USOPC wasn't the organization that it is now.  Whether or not there are Olympians in China from the United States will not ultimately be determined by Joe Biden.  And I can promise you the USOPC will tell the White House that they're going and for them not to stand in their way.

Biden knows he might not be able to afford to be seen as not enforcing a boycott due to pressure from Congress. 

https://patch.com/new-jersey/middletown-nj/rep-chris-smith-wants-winter-2022-beijing-olympics-moved

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/china/beijing-olympics-will-be-a-propaganda-event-for-the-chinese-communist-party/video/35b8e7e6cf294c56e29f1195402d5a13

https://patch.com/new-jersey/middletown-nj/rep-chris-smith-wants-winter-2022-beijing-olympics-moved

13 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Biden knows he might not be able to afford to be seen as not enforcing a boycott due to pressure from Congress. 

Did you read that after you typed it?  Does that sentence actually make sense to you or are you just a double negative type of person?

You're citing a random congressman from New Jersey.  Do you think anyone is going to give 2 shits about his opinion?  That the IOC would even for a split second entertain the notion of moving the Olympics?  At this point, it's an exercise in total futility.

I don't know how many more times it needs to be said before you will get the point.. Biden's power to impose his will over the USOPC is very minimal.  They are not obligated to listen to him and none of your crazy scenarios where he goes over their head is likely to happen.  Again, a diplomatic boycott is very possible and I believe fairly likely.  He's not going to stop athletes from competing, let alone based on "pressure from Congress"

21 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Did you read that after you typed it?  Does that sentence actually make sense to you or are you just a double negative type of person?

You're citing a random congressman from New Jersey.  Do you think anyone is going to give 2 shits about his opinion?  That the IOC would even for a split second entertain the notion of moving the Olympics?  At this point, it's an exercise in total futility.

I don't know how many more times it needs to be said before you will get the point.. Biden's power to impose his will over the USOPC is very minimal.  They are not obligated to listen to him and none of your crazy scenarios where he goes over their head is likely to happen.  Again, a diplomatic boycott is very possible and I believe fairly likely.  He's not going to stop athletes from competing, let alone based on "pressure from Congress"

Biden is lucky Trump himself is against a boycott. If Trump was the pressure would be strong. 

7 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Biden is lucky Trump himself is against a boycott. If Trump was the pressure would be strong. 

That makes zero sense.  Why does Biden (or anyone else for that matter) care what Trump thinks at this point?

Let's all considering ourselves lucky that Biden is in office and not Trump, for a zillion more important reasons than the implications on the 2022 Winter Olympics

• Like 3

3 hours ago, iceman530 said:

I'm torn between wanting to see a proper Olympics unaffected by the pandemic and wanting China to suffer because of the plague they unleashed on the world.  I'm also very concerned that they could potentially cover up any negative effects of the pandemic if it's still a major concern come February and that could be dangerous for the rest of the world.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

I'm torn between wanting to see a proper Olympics unaffected by the pandemic and wanting China to suffer because of the plague they unleashed on the world.  I'm also very concerned that they could potentially cover up any negative effects of the pandemic if it's still a major concern come February and that could be dangerous for the rest of the world.

Well they've already covered up how this whole COVID19 mess began so I wouldn't put it past the CCP to come up with some other coverup. On the other hand, I have no doubt China wants to showcase to the world the way they did in 2008. Even so, China knows a covid outbreak at the Olympics would be a disaster. I still think we will see far more stringent measures, many the IOC will disagree with, but China knows they hold all the cards when it comes to Covid protocols and the Olympics 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Same.

Oh man we are going to have so much to talk about up to this buildup.  I remember personally wanting Almaty to get this so bad, and now I am so happy they did not.  6 months away........China has earned this.  They're going to have nightmares from all directions, and the international community will gleefully cover any shortcomings at any turn.  Uighurs, Corona, Taiwan/Hong Kong.  They are going to have quite a challenge blanketing all of this, and I dont think even China will be able to push the narrative that they want. 

As for COVID Delta?  All it takes is just one city........just one.......From Guangzhou to Harbi to go full-on Wuhan, and they will be in deep bat and pangolin poop.  

Are we looking at a potential 2023 delay boys and girls?

New COVID-19 outbreaks in China raise doubts about 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing (yahoo.com)

The rhetorical has arrived, and now its real-world.  Im getting the feeling I did in tokyo in actual 2020 when I was thinking there could be a year delay.  This thing is 50/50 2023 I am thinking.  China's stubborn unpredictability is the largest variable in question.  

Move over Olympics, I wouldn't be surprised if WWIII is on the horizon. The signs are there. The pandemic just thru more fuel into the fire. According to the Star Trek timeline, it's supposed to be in 2026! :P

https://sports.yahoo.com/ioc-thomas-bach-decline-to-denounce-detention-of-uighurs-in-china-ahead-of-beijing-olympics-081620000.html

Thomas Bach following the example of Tedros and avoiding biting the hand of his Chinese overlords.

What a pathetic organization the IOC is. :mellow:

3 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ioc-thomas-bach-decline-to-denounce-detention-of-uighurs-in-china-ahead-of-beijing-olympics-081620000.html

Thomas Bach following the example of Tedros and avoiding biting the hand of his Chinese overlords.

What a pathetic organization the IOC is. :mellow:

What else is new?

It would be entirely counterproductive to boycott a Chinese Olympics, and would simply play right into the hands of the CCP's argument that Western criticisms are purely political. 

It's so disappointing that humanity simply repeats the same mistakes again and again and again. We can't help being emotional, but surely the 1980's were not so long ago that people have forgotten the last Olympic boycotts.

for the record, boycotts do work, and this one would hardly play into the CCP's hands. attending at all because china is too powerful to anger is what plays into the CCP's hands. of course they would say "western criticisms are all political," as they shove citizens into concentration camps. so what?

the games should be boycotted by every western nation with a spine, though i realize they probably won't be.

who knows what will happen with covid though. it may end up providing political cover to let these games fall apart.

• Like 1

BINGO to the last sentence of that post.   It gives everyone a "graceful exit" from China, to the IOC, to sponsors, to nations interested in boycotting.  It could become a very appealing exit off of the highway.  

That said, I do not expect China to blink.  Their thirst for soft power and prestige, even with the risk of what a pandemic poses, is too great for them to pass up.