Moved 2022 before its to late.

NBC might well be the biggest pusher - if they get scared of adverts ing boycotts during the games they will push to void their contract which I bet has an American boycott clause. 

The Chief Rabbi of the Uk has come out for a boycott which is a big deal. 

https://www.politicshome.com/thehouse/article/britain-must-send-a-strong-message-to-china-and-join-a-diplomatic-boycott-of-2022-beijing-winter-olympics

https://www.theepochtimes.com/legislators-in-ten-countries-push-for-beijing-2022-winter-olympics-boycott_3849936.html

2 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

NBC might well be the biggest pusher - if they get scared of adverts ing boycotts during the games they will push to void their contract which I bet has an American boycott clause. 

The Chief Rabbi of the Uk has come out for a boycott which is a big deal. 

https://www.politicshome.com/thehouse/article/britain-must-send-a-strong-message-to-china-and-join-a-diplomatic-boycott-of-2022-beijing-winter-olympics

https://www.theepochtimes.com/legislators-in-ten-countries-push-for-beijing-2022-winter-olympics-boycott_3849936.html

Another day, another dumb comment from you.

NBC undoubtedly has insurance to cover them in the event of a boycott (as they did in 1980 with Moscow), but they can't and most certainly would not advocate for that.  They have a contract for the next 5 Olympics after Beijing, so the last thing in the world they would want to do is cause a rift with the IOC.

NBC's best interests here are for the United States to participate in the Beijing Olympics.  If some advertisers boycott, others will undoubtedly step up and fill the gap.  

Once again, please stop pushing your own personal and ridiculous narrative about what might happen in the next 8 months

15 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Let's save RWB the trouble... 

Scott urges NBC to demand Winter Olympics be moved from China over human rights abuses

So instead of asking the IOC to move the Olympics, now he's asking NBC

Well NBC do have a low of power - if they and all other American broadcasters refused to show any coverage of the games in Bejing and were followed by the broadcasters in Canada, Uk, France, Germany and Japan the games would struggle to be viable. 

2 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Well NBC do have a low of power - if they and all other American broadcasters refused to show any coverage of the games in Bejing and were followed by the broadcasters in Canada, Uk, France, Germany and Japan the games would struggle to be viable. 

There is pressure on NBC to do just that, but it's not going to happen.  It's possible some sponsors may drop out not wanting to be associated with an event in China, but I really hope this doesn't turn into a situation where if we can't take a direct shot at China, the alternative is to shame any company tied to the Olympics.  In other words, let's hurt American corporations and think that will have any effect on what China is doing

4 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

There is pressure on NBC to do just that, but it's not going to happen.  It's possible some sponsors may drop out not wanting to be associated with an event in China, but I really hope this doesn't turn into a situation where if we can't take a direct shot at China, the alternative is to shame any company tied to the Olympics.  In other words, let's hurt American corporations and think that will have any effect on what China is doing

That’s exactly where things are going. And the next step will be athletes knowing they will lose sponsorship contracts if they go. 

1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

That’s exactly where things are going. And the next step will be athletes knowing they will lose sponsorship contracts if they go. 

No, that's where in your highly biased opinion you think things are going.  They're not in actuality going in that direction.  Please stop stating your personal opinion (and a crappy opinion at that) as if it's fact that athletes "know"

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

Campaigners call for NBC to cancel plans to broadcast Beijing 2022 (insidethegames.biz)

"Campaigners said they were denied entry to the building (NBC HQ) and asked to leave the premises."

I saw a group like that in NYC a few weeks ago.  Watch what happens when we're past the Tokyo games.  Those voices are going to start getting much louder

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

I saw a group like that in NYC a few weeks ago.  Watch what happens when we're past the Tokyo games.  Those voices are going to start getting much louder

Agree.  Although TV money is the biggest motive for the IOC, I have to think that they did not want an extra 2 or 3 months of 2022 protests if Tokyo 2020NE had been cancelled.

I would love nothing more than a spectator-less Beijing games for China, but that wouldnt happen even if the literal second coming of the Black Plague hit.

Covid could still be a game-player........Im sure more than a few of us were thinking/hoping that this would be done and dusted by the Tokyo games, but for some areas of the world, its only getting worse.

On 7/8/2021 at 6:35 PM, iceman530 said:

I would love nothing more than a spectator-less Beijing games for China, but that wouldnt happen even if the literal second coming of the Black Plague hit.

Covid could still be a game-player........Im sure more than a few of us were thinking/hoping that this would be done and dusted by the Tokyo games, but for some areas of the world, its only getting worse.

Knowing the CCP they'll bring in a bunch of Uighurs and Tibetans from their concentration camps to be spectators, completely unconcerned if they catch Covid and die after being in the stands to prove to the world that everything is really okay in China.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Karenina said:

Knowing the CCP they'll bring in a bunch of Uighurs and Tibetans from their concentration camps to be spectators, completely unconcerned if they catch Covid and die after being in the stands to prove to the world that everything is really okay in China.

Tibetans maybe, the Uighurs are going to lie down on the mountain to enhance the skiing terrain obstacles.  

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/09/eu-votes-diplomats-boycott-china-winter-olympics-human-rights-abuses

https://www.thetablet.co.uk/blogs/1/1825/the-uyghur-tragedy-and-the-case-for-moving-the-winter-olympic-games-from-beijing

The Parliament in the UK likely to vote for to ask the IOC to move the games.

I think the BOA might end up boycotting due to not wanting to lose sponsors for Paris 2024.

On 6/28/2021 at 3:01 PM, Triplecast said:

Agree.  Although TV money is the biggest motive for the IOC, I have to think that they did not want an extra 2 or 3 months of 2022 protests if Tokyo 2020NE had been cancelled.

The big risk is the damage to further games. We could easily see all further games becoming split into two blocs.

3 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

The big risk is the damage to further games. We could easily see all further games becoming split into two blocs.

YOU can see that because you're delusional.  No one else sees that.

3 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/09/eu-votes-diplomats-boycott-china-winter-olympics-human-rights-abuses

https://www.thetablet.co.uk/blogs/1/1825/the-uyghur-tragedy-and-the-case-for-moving-the-winter-olympic-games-from-beijing

The Parliament in the UK likely to vote for to ask the IOC to move the games.

I think the BOA might end up boycotting due to not wanting to lose sponsors for Paris 2024.

That's a gigantic waste of time for that vote and they know it.  Have they not learned anything from these Olympics that the IOC hold all the cards and they don't much care about outside opinion?  We're less than 7 months out from the Winter Olympics.  They are going to happen.  And they are going to happen in China.  The grandstanding for a move is a noble effort, but it's going to fall on deaf ears.  Barring an unforeseen catastrophe, there is nothing that can stop that so it's fruitless to think anything could change.