Moved 2022 before its to late.

Just came here from the London 2036/40 thread.

Whether the bid happens or not, having one of the most high profile Muslim politicians in the West speaking in good terms about the Olympics must be music to the IOC's ears at the moment!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 9:55 AM, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

https://www.sundayguardianlive.com/news/chinas-communist-dictators-must-not-allowed-host-winter-olympics

Senator for the Govering Libreal Party in Australia calls for the games to be moved away from Bejing. Feels like Australia is moving towards a total boycott. 

More significant is that this might make Brisbane 2032 harder as it is clear an anti IOC position is developing in Australia.

What the —- ?

One Senator is one senator, that’s all.  

Australia is not moving towards a boycott, not at all.

There is no anti-IOC position developing in Australia. Sorry but that’s total bulls—t.

Where on earth did you pull this from?

58 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

What the —- ?

One Senator is one senator, that’s all.  

Australia is not moving towards a boycott, not at all.

There is no anti-IOC position developing in Australia. Sorry but that’s total bulls—t.

Where on earth did you pull this from?

@REDWHITEBLUE24is a master of confirmation bias.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rob. said:

Just came here from the London 2036/40 thread.

Whether the bid happens or not, having one of the most high profile Muslim politicians in the West speaking in good terms about the Olympics must be music to the IOC's ears at the moment!

The IOC is pretty popular in the UK anyway. Even most of the pro boycott people don’t really blame the IOC for giving the games to China.

58 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

The IOC is pretty popular in the UK anyway. Even most of the pro boycott people don’t really blame the IOC for giving the games to China.

What on earth are you talking about ? 

You really have no idea what you are saying.

Seriously, you’re speaking utter bulls—t.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

The IOC is pretty popular in the UK anyway.

Yes, the Olympics is still well regarded, especially in London where the prospect of another Games is being touted by at least one mayoral candidate.

I doubt very many people will have any opinion on the IOC however.

4 hours ago, Rob. said:

Yes, the Olympics is still well regarded, especially in London where the prospect of another Games is being touted by at least one mayoral candidate.

I doubt very many people will have any opinion on the IOC however.

They might, but people tend to have short attention spans.  If there's any animosity towards the IOC because they're in bed with China, by 2023 (if not a lot sooner than that), few people will likely make the association because they'll have moved on from 2022.  And yes, I would imagine that most in the UK who have an opinion of the Olympics and the IOC will have formed that based on their feelings towards the 2012 Games, not the 2022 Games

If Covid-19 is still an issue at the end of the year (and it looks like it will be) I would not rule out China banning certain countries with outbreaks from sending their Olympic teams. Sure the IOC would make a fuss, but there's nothing legally the IOC could do to compel Beijing to accept all teams. It's not like the IOC could pull the Olympics at the last minute. If the SOGs were being held in China this year, I'd be willing to bet China would have banned the entire Indian subcontinent by now from attending.

2 hours ago, stryker said:

If Covid-19 is still an issue at the end of the year (and it looks like it will be) I would not rule out China banning certain countries with outbreaks from sending their Olympic teams. Sure the IOC would make a fuss, but there's nothing legally the IOC could do to compel Beijing to accept all teams. It's not like the IOC could pull the Olympics at the last minute. If the SOGs were being held in China this year, I'd be willing to bet China would have banned the entire Indian subcontinent by now from attending.

I wouldn't rule it in either.  Pretty sure China, the country for unleashing this plague on humanity, isn't in a good position to deny athletes or entire countries a place at the Olympics because of outbreaks, especially if Japan doesn't do that.  Not to mention their reputation around the world aside from the pandemic isn't that stellar.  They'll want to be as welcoming as possible to the rest of the world or else it's going to risk a lot of time that could be spent covering the Olympics instead focusing on China's human rights abuses.

19 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

I wouldn't rule it in either.  Pretty sure China, the country for unleashing this plague on humanity, isn't in a good position to deny athletes or entire countries a place at the Olympics because of outbreaks, especially if Japan doesn't do that.  Not to mention their reputation around the world aside from the pandemic isn't that stellar.  They'll want to be as welcoming as possible to the rest of the world or else it's going to risk a lot of time that could be spent covering the Olympics instead focusing on China's human rights abuses.

That might very well be and we know how China likes to put on a good face when the Olympics roll around, but China also wants to be seen as the country that's conquered Covid-19, gotten back to mostly normal, revived their economy, and isn't too keen on bringing in possible variants that could cause outbreaks that could jeopardize this. I don't think you can compare Japan's approach to Civid-19 and the Olympics to China. China is governed by a totalitarian regime that doesn't take kindly to being told what to do whereas it seems like Japan has practically rolled over. Maybe no blanket bans, but I would expect China to insist on either mandatory 14 day quarantines in the Olympic Village for all Olympic teams unless they have proof of vaccination. Currently, China only recognizes the Sinopharm and Sinovac vaccinations. Now by early next year I think that could change, but I don't see China changing it's draconian entry measures (you can spend up to a month in quarantine depending on where you come from) just for the Olympics. Frankly, I'm shocked Japan did not insist on quarantines for arriving Olympic teams. Of course if the world health situation is improved by then, perhaps China relaxes a bit.

Regardless, China will want foreign spectators (they want to put on a show of course) but I expect that they will only allow foreign spectators who are vaccinated. Qatar is seriously considering this for the World Cup and that's in December of next year.

The United States House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi has called for a US diplomatic boycott of the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics, criticising China for human rights abuses.

Pelosi stated that global leaders who attended the Games would lose "moral authority" in a bipartisan Congressional hearing.

"What I propose - and join those who are proposing - is a diplomatic boycott," said Pelosi.

"Let's not honour the Chinese Government by having heads of state go to China.

"For heads of state to go to China in light of a genocide that is ongoing - while you're sitting there in your seat - really begs the question, what moral authority do you have to speak again about human rights any place in the world?"

Republican Congressman Chris Smith claimed that corporate sponsors should have to testify in Congress and "be held to account", while Democratic Congressman Jim McGovern added the Games should be postponed to give the International Olympic Committee time to find a replacement.

It comes after a coalition of Uyghurs, Tibetans, residents of Hong Kong and others have issued a statement calling for a full-blown boycott of Beijing 2022, citing the alleged human rights abuses in China.

It is the latest call for nations to not travel to China for the Games, although the latest is notably not just a "diplomatic boycott" that involves heads of state not attending, but stating countries should not attend the event at all.

The coalition released a statement online which read: "Participating in the Beijing Olympic Games at this time would be tantamount to endorsing China's genocide against the Uyghur people and legitimising the increasingly repressive policies of the totalitarian Chinese regime.

"We believe athletes are people of conscience who have the power to use their platforms to stop injustice.

"We call on them, and those who believe in the right of all people to exist, and to live free from fear and oppression, to join our movement."

The coalition further explained their boycott with the Associated Press.

"The time for talking with the International Olympic Committee is over," said Lhadon Tethong of the Tibet Action Institute.

"This cannot be Games as usual or business as usual; not for the IOC and not for the international community.

"If the Games go ahead, then Beijing gets the international seal of approval for what they are doing.

"People have worked to engage with the IOC in good faith to have them understand the issues directly from the mouths of those most impacted - the Uyghurs at the top of that list and the Tibetans and others.

"It's clear the IOC is completely uninterested in what the real impacts on the ground for people are."

On 5/17/2021 at 7:51 PM, stryker said:

That might very well be and we know how China likes to put on a good face when the Olympics roll around, but China also wants to be seen as the country that's conquered Covid-19, gotten back to mostly normal, revived their economy, and isn't too keen on bringing in possible variants that could cause outbreaks that could jeopardize this. I don't think you can compare Japan's approach to Civid-19 and the Olympics to China. China is governed by a totalitarian regime that doesn't take kindly to being told what to do whereas it seems like Japan has practically rolled over. Maybe no blanket bans, but I would expect China to insist on either mandatory 14 day quarantines in the Olympic Village for all Olympic teams unless they have proof of vaccination. Currently, China only recognizes the Sinopharm and Sinovac vaccinations. Now by early next year I think that could change, but I don't see China changing it's draconian entry measures (you can spend up to a month in quarantine depending on where you come from) just for the Olympics. Frankly, I'm shocked Japan did not insist on quarantines for arriving Olympic teams. Of course if the world health situation is improved by then, perhaps China relaxes a bit.

Regardless, China will want foreign spectators (they want to put on a show of course) but I expect that they will only allow foreign spectators who are vaccinated. Qatar is seriously considering this for the World Cup and that's in December of next year.

The IOC contracts tend to mean the host nation has very little power over those things. 

5 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

The IOC contracts tend to mean the host nation has very little power over those things. 

I highly doubt that the IOC would even think about challenging China over entry or covid policies. As for a host contract, what would the IOC do? Attempt to take China to court? That would be laughable and China would have the financial leverage to bankrupt the IOC. The IOC is a non-profit organization with no authority over any country's laws and regulations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stryker said:

I highly doubt that the IOC would even think about challenging China over entry or covid policies. As for a host contract, what would the IOC do? Attempt to take China to court? That would be laughable and China would have the financial leverage to bankrupt the IOC. The IOC is a non-profit organization with no authority over any country's laws and regulations. 

The IOC would be very weary of the risk that were countries to be banned from Bejing that they would withdraw from Paris, Milan and Los Angeles.  Imagine if China banned the USA from entering and the IOC said that was fine - that would make the likelihood that LA gets cancelled. 

4 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

The IOC would be very weary of the risk that were countries to be banned from Bejing that they would withdraw from Paris, Milan and Los Angeles.  Imagine if China banned the USA from entering and the IOC said that was fine - that would make the likelihood that LA gets cancelled. 

Not at all.   Far from it.

The IOC are not going to “withdraw” from Paris 2024, Milan-Cortina 2026 or Los Angeles 2028.

Nor are they going to withdraw from Beijing 2022.

It’s not in their DNA.

This is not the first time countries have boycotted, or considered to boycott, the Olympic Games.

1980 Moscow:   66 countries (not including Australia) boycotted the Moscow Games which still went ahead.

1984 Los Angeles:  18 countries (not including Australia) boycotted the LA Games which still went ahead

If countries are banned, the IOC is not going to like it but they will still press ahead with the Games.  It is in their DNA to proceed with every edition Games if at all possible.

The IOC are very resilient and will do all possible for the Olympic Games to still go ahead.

It has done so throughout it’s history, and very rarely have the Olympic Games actually been cancelled.  World War 2 was one of those exceptions.

The 2020 Tokyo Games were postponed, not cancelled, and despite a citizens petition look very much look like going they’re still going ahead, even in a pandemic.

Even the terror and murder of Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munich Games caused a pause, not cancellation of the Games, which continued after solemn memorial services.

1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

VtbKJL923268CLqJgHy2KUKhnpX4lQICo49sfTTZ

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

Not at all.   Far from it.

The IOC are not going to “withdraw” from Paris 2024, Milan-Cortina 2026 or Los Angeles 2028.

Nor are they going to withdraw from Beijing 2022.

It’s not in their DNA.

This is not the first time countries have boycotted, or considered to boycott, the Olympic Games.

1980 Moscow:   66 countries (not including Australia) boycotted the Moscow Games which still went ahead.

1984 Los Angeles:  18 countries (not including Australia) boycotted the LA Games which still went ahead

If countries are banned, the IOC is not going to like it but they will still press ahead with the Games.  It is in their DNA to proceed with every edition Games if at all possible.

The IOC are very resilient and will do all possible for the Olympic Games to still go ahead.

It has done so throughout it’s history, and very rarely have the Olympic Games actually been cancelled.  World War 2 was one of those exceptions.

The 2020 Tokyo Games were postponed, not cancelled, and despite a citizens petition look very much look like going they’re still going ahead, even in a pandemic.

Even the terror and murder of Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munich Games caused a pause, not cancellation of the Games, which continued after solemn memorial services.

China is not going to tell any countries they are not welcome at the 2022 Olympics, so it's not even worth acknowledging that possibility.  Because if they do that, they're going to be shunned by the IOC and probably every other major sports entity for a long time.  Ask Russia how that's working out for them.

This is a very different scenario than the IOC has ever dealt with.  The question is one of safety.  Can these Olympics be held in a manner that doesn't negatively affect the host country and the rest of the world.  It's a pretty legitimate question at this point, but I think we all know it's one the IOC will attempt to whitewash.  Much as they'll do with 2022 when there's mounting pressure from the United States and other countries to give a collective middle finger to China.  And the Chinese should thank their lucky stars that Tokyo got postponed or else they would be the focus right now.

4 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

China don’t face the same public risk of an outbreak that Japan has because they not a democracy. 

But if they did ban a country and the IOC was seen to be even indifferent to that then country banned would surely withdraw from the IOC in protest.  

A13usaonutL._CLa%7C2140,2000%7C71MpczqY0

• Like 1