Moved 2022 before its to late.

5 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

End game from who is the question?  Republicans being republicans, they want to force their will on others no matter the consequences.  Particularly now that they're no longer in power.  I agree that we as a nation should take a hard stance on China, but telling athletes they're not allowed to compete in the Olympics because we have decided sending them to China is supporting a genocidal government is not the answer.  And funny thing about that, I'm about to do something I never thought I'd do and I'm not proud to type this sentence, but...

I agree with Ted Cruz...

Cruz on Olympic Boycott: Hurting U.S. Athletes Is ‘Weakness’ – ‘We Should Go Over There, Call Them Out’

Would absolutely love to hear REDWHITEBLUE's reaction to this?  Interested dilemma when conservatives have to choose between their own cancel culture and the ramifications of what that means for action against China.

That's a surprising statement from Cruz  - maybe he has given up trying for 2024.

5 hours ago, Triplecast said:

What is the endgame here? Forced withdrawal of US athletes?  Forced withdrawal of US and other Western athletes?Moving Games from Beijing?  Cancellation of Beijing 2022?

Besides the last two being virtually impossible with less than a year to go (especially the moving of the Winter Games from Beijing), I think it’s just more about putting Biden in a bad light. That’s all the Republicans are more interested in. They’re not really interested in “doing the right thing” here. That went out the window months ago with them.

1 hour ago, Triplecast said:

I can think of a couple of more; Lindsey Graham (coincidentally, also of South Carolina) & Mitch McConnell. Especially Graham. He said he was “through” with you know who, the day of the riot, but when he got heckled at Regan airport the next day or two, by you know who supporters, he went crawling back to the ‘swamp’ with his tail between his legs. I’m sure that Nikki Haley also took notice of that, & that’s why now she’s back-peddling as fast as she can!

But that’s not really what the poster who posted the other Nikki Haley article cares about. Just about the boycott fetish they have. 

https://www.politico.eu/article/china-beijing-2022-winter-olympics-human-rights-violations-uighurs/

Sjoerd Sjoerdsma, a Dutch MP from the ruling coalition’s D66 party, pointed to “the largest detention of an ethnic minority since World War II” and highlighted stories of forced sterilization and rape as evidence that China should be stripped of the Olympics.

Sjoerdsma, whose social liberal party initiated the Dutch motion to call the treatment of the Uighur minority a genocide, said athletes should decide for themselves whether to go to Beijing, but he would prefer that the International Olympic Committee (IOC), which organizes the games, assigned the event to another country. 

However, the Netherlands’ Olympic Committee sounded a note of caution about how far the country might be ready to go. In response to questions about a potential Dutch boycott of the 2022 Winter Olympics, a spokesman for the committee said: “In the Netherlands, we have the policy that a sports boycott is only talked about if the Netherlands as a country participates in a larger international boycott involving several sectors. That is not the case.”

2 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

but he would prefer that the International Olympic Committee (IOC), which organizes the games, assigned the event to another country. 

I’m so tired of these politicians harping this. It’s WAY too late for that & they know it (or at least should). Is the Netherlands (or any other country’s politician[s] who say the same) prepared to take on the 2022 winter Games on such, such short notice then?! Yeah, sure. :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, FYI said:

I’m so tired of these politicians harping this. It’s WAY too late for that & they know it (or at least should). Is the Netherlands (or any other country’s politician[s] who say the same) prepared to take on the 2022 winter Games on such, such short notice then?! Yeah, sure. :rolleyes:

Same here.  They have to know there's absolutely no chance the IOC is going to move the Games out of China any more than FIFA would have considered moving the World Cup out of Qatar.  And even then, would that make life better for the Uighurs?  

Way too much of the rhetoric is "yea, screw China, this will show them" with no real end game about how China will be hurt by this.  Individuals may decide that they don't want to compete in China and choose to skip the Olympics.  Let them make that choice.  It shouldn't be decided for them by a managing body or a government entity that has make that decision on their behalf.

Again, it's greatly mixed emotions on my part because I love the Olympics and want them to be successful, but have to weigh that about what China is doing here.  Everyone involved though needs to think about this long term and how these decisions will resonate 2 years from now or 10 years from now.  All these politicians speaking out would be wise to keep that in mind if they want this to be able progress and not simply about rabble-rousing.

1 hour ago, FYI said:

Should Know - Is the operative words here.  Apparently Rick Scott doesn't seem to know.  He's so upset that Anita DeFrantz just blew him off last September.

https://www.rickscott.senate.gov/sen-rick-scott-im-disappointed-ioc-vice-president-refused-commit-move-2022-olympic-games-out

10 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

Mikaela Shiffrin with her thoughts.  

I wonder if she really knows the full ‘complexities’ of the entire 2022 bidding process back in 2015. Sometimes I think the athletes know as much (or in this case, as little) as these politicians do. Not knowing the full scope of what actually led to Beijing’s ‘22 election. The IOC really didn’t want Beijing for 2022, but after all their preferred European choices withdrew, they didn’t really have many other safe(r) alternatives.  

12 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

Should Know - Is the operative words here.  Apparently Rick Scott doesn't seem to know.  He's so upset that Anita DeFrantz just blew him off last September.

These politicians don’t seem to know, or are just disingenuous. And in this case, I think it’s a little bit of both. 

I mean, where were all these people back in 2015 or 2016 (or even 2017) when Beijing was still freshly awarded & when there was still time to “move” the 2022 Winter Olympics from there? Why are they all so worried about it now when it’s really too late. I

It’s all just merely a way for these politicians to make themselves look good. And Rick Scott (along all with all the other Rep. politicians who are calling for boycotts or a “move”), would really need to do a lot to try & make himself look good. 

And speaking of, here’s one of his statements of the link you posted that he’s not well informed or just disingenuous, or both:

• “Respecting human rights doesn’t start on a specific date, it’s always important. Why then does the IOC’s new Host City Contract, which incorporates human rights principles and was finalized in January 2017, not go into effect until the 2024 Summer Olympics? Los Angeles had to sign it, but not China. Did you specifically exempt China because you know they wouldn’t qualify?”

Considering Beijing was awarded the 2022 winter games in 2015, so obviously they couldn’t have signed the new Host City contract that wasn’t finalized until 2017. 

But besides that, considering that Scott (& many other Republicans) was also complicit in trying to fan ‘political oppression’ by peddling the lies of the last few months, he really shouldn’t have any room to talk against such things.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/pompeo-calls-us-boycott-beijing-winter-olympics-china-14346690

WASHINGTON: Former secretary of state Mike Pompeo on Friday (Mar 5) backed calls for the United States to boycott the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, saying China's "nasty" activity made it an inappropriate host.

Pompeo, a vociferous critic of Beijing while he was Donald Trump's top diplomat, said the previous administration had tried in its final months to persuade the International Olympic Committee to move the Winter Games.

"I hope that our athletes get a chance to participate in the Olympics. They very much deserve that," Pompeo told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt.

"But in the end, we cannot allow American athletes to travel to Beijing and reward the Chinese Communist Party all the while that they (are) doing all of the nasty activity that they're engaged in," he said.

"The Olympics are an expression of freedom and athletic talent. And to hold them in Beijing is completely inappropriate."

Yeah, I also lost interest when a member of the clowns former administration says - "... all the while that they (are) doing all of the ‘nasty activity’ that they're engaged in.” They sure would know of doing such things. 

• Like 1

God forbid we have to put up with him ever again..........but jesus am I worried for 2024.  Biden drew his first real salvo for his administration today with the COVID bill.  He needs to keep being aggressive and keep ramming legislation through with impetus hell or high water.  Federal voting reform and/or infrastructure next pleasure.  Time is of the essence.

Sorry for the thread jack, back to the stroke of brilliance that is the beijing 2022 olympics.  

https://nypost.com/2021/03/08/world-uyghur-congress-pressures-international-olympic-committee-to-move-2022-olympics-out-of-beijing/

https://eutoday.net/news/politics/2021/boycott-china-winter-olympics-2022

"I hope that all the EU countries could get together to decide to boycott the Beijing Winter Olympics", said Finnish Green MEP Alviina Alametsa.

Co-founder and CEO of Hong Kong Watch, Benedict Rogers was in agreement, stating that "with regard to the Winter Olympics, either a boycott, or if we can put pressure on the IOC to think about moving the Olympics even at this late stage, my understanding is that some political groups in Canada have called for this, and have offered Canada as an alternative location, and there are a number of European countries of course that have the capability to host Winter Olympics."

Senior parliamentarian Sir Iain Duncan Smith, a former leader of the British Conservative party, who is leading the debate in his country's parliament on the imposition of "Magnitsky" sanctions against the Chinese leadership, and who addressed the Brussels conference on that particular issue has also been vocal in calling for a boycott.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/as-accusations-of-genocide-of-uighurs-in-china-grow-more-people-are-asking-86r9pqv5z

'Last month, the Canadian House of Commons voted unanimously to lobby the IOC to move the Winter Olympics from Beijing, although the prime minister, Justin Trudeau, and his cabinet abstained. A group of US senators has also introduced a resolution urging the IOC to remove the Games from China. Asked last week about a possible boycott, President Biden’s secretary of state, Anthony Blinken, refused to rule it out.'

'Even Amnesty International, the world’s leading human-rights organisation, does not support stopping athletes from competing, saying: “We believe that a boycott of the Beijing Winter Olympics would further reduce international access to China, which cannot help uncover human rights violations and push for improvements.” '

“Others say the U.S. should not boycott the Olympics but want Biden to use America's clout to prod the International Olympic Committee to move the Games from China to another host country.“

UGH, it’s way too fricken late for that now! So stop with this nonsense already, people.

“Sen. Rick Scott, R-Fla., has been lobbying the IOC and the Games' corporate sponsors to move the Games.”

Scott told USA TODAY. "We can move these Games. There's plenty of places around the world that can host these Games."

Oh, really Ricky?! Have you contacted these “plenty of places” around of the world that can host these Games (& on such short, SHORT notice, no less)? Cause last time I checked, it’s precisely these ‘plenty of places around the world’ that wanted absolutely nothing to do with these Games, whatsoever, & that’s why the IOC is now in the predicament that it’s in, & you coming out spewing your drivel. 

"I don't think a country ... that puts over over a million people in prison for their religion, that just took away the basic rights of 7 million Hong Kongers and is threatening Taiwan should be hosting the Olympics,"

Oh, Ricky. If only your own party wasn’t complicit in trying to do the very same thing, of wanting to disenfranchise the basic rights of tens of millions more Americans, I could then, maybe, try to take you at your so-called moral compass. :rolleyes: