Moved 2022 before its to late.

1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

The USOPC won’t “agree” when their purpose is to prepare and send a US team to the Olympic Games.  It will be forced upon them.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/27/cpac-china-trump-471825

A lot here in this article that will cheer-up REDWHITEBLUE

2 hours ago, Triplecast said:

The USOPC won’t “agree” when their purpose is to prepare and send a US team to the Olympic Games.  It will be forced upon them.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/27/cpac-china-trump-471825

A lot here in this article that will cheer-up REDWHITEBLUE

As I have been saying for months. The IOC has no idea that boycotts are likely - they seem to be think it won't happen.

26 minutes ago, olympikfan said:

This type of behaviour and no complant from the  IOC will see nations permantly pulling out the Olympic movement.

10 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Yes, we are well aware at this point you think that.  Because you have clearly demonstrated you can no longer view this objectively.

Triplecast hit the nail on the head perfectly.  If there is any sort of boycott, it's not because the USOPC wanted it.  It'll be because they were forced against their will.  And it's becoming increasingly clear that if the White House's opinion on the matter is going to be shaped by the USOPC rather than the other way around, American athletes will be participating in the Olympics next summer.

8 hours ago, Triplecast said:

Nice smug statement from Pompeo - “I regret that for athletes but so be it.”

My thoughts exactly.  Republican politicians that want to take a hard stance on China certainly have a strong basis to do so, but largely in line with conservative thinking, it's going to come across as "we're going to tell you what to do because we know better than you do, so our beliefs are more important than yours.  And the funny thing IMO is that if Pompeo and Haley and whoever else want to speak out against China, their voices will be a lot louder if there are American athletes at the Olympics rather than if we try to pretend it's not happening.

5 hours ago, olympikfan said:
4 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

This type of behaviour and no complant from the  IOC will see nations permantly pulling out the Olympic movement.

There are so many posts in this thread that are clearly not going to age well.  No nation is going to permanently pull out of the Olympics because of this.  Plenty of countries and their political leaders wlll make a big stink in the lead up to the Games in Beijing.  But as soon as it is over, they'll cease to tie China and the Olympics together and all of the NOCs will no longer care that the IOC held another Olympics in China.  It'll be over and done with and everyone will move on.  You'd have to have blinders on not to see that,

that may be the case, but some of the veterans of this board who leading up to this insisted Beijing was the right choice, and the safe choice, maybe even the "only" choice, and that it would go off without a hitch.  Strike one has already happened, Beijing has already proven to be an eternally worse option than Almaty by multiple degrees of measure.  Now here in the US, cancel culture is strong, and it is getting stronger.  Now, there is at least a fifty percent chance that there will be a boycotted winter olympics.   I disagree with drawing a line in the sand either way, because frankly at this point, either possibility is equally possible now.

No one was “insisting” back then that Beijing was the right choice, safe choice & “only” choice (how would you even know that, when you’ve only been on here less than a couple of months anyway).

Beijing was one of ‘only’ the last two subpar bids that were left standing, after all the European bidders dropped out. At that point, it was merely picking the best of the worst at that time. Beijing would’ve never won if all those European cities didn’t drop out. But that was the card dealt to the IOC back then. So here we are now. 

And it’s not like Almaty doesn’t have it’s one human rights issues either, & there’s also no guarantee that had they won instead that things would’ve “gone off without a hitch”. Hindsight is 20/20 & it’s very easy to play the “what if” game now. And what does ‘cancel culture’ have to do with this anyway.

This is going to ruffle RWB24’s feathers -

Beijing 2022: Boris Johnson rejects boycott call over Uighur 'genocide'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-politics-56184428

The BOA also shares the same view. Unlike Haley & Pompeo, they say that the athletes shouldn’t be the ones to be used as political pawn after all their years of hard work & dedication for this moment they worked so hard for. Certainly Nikki Haley & Co. can at least understand that, no.

1 hour ago, iceman530 said:

that may be the case, but some of the veterans of this board who leading up to this insisted Beijing was the right choice, and the safe choice, maybe even the "only" choice, and that it would go off without a hitch.  Strike one has already happened, Beijing has already proven to be an eternally worse option than Almaty by multiple degrees of measure.  Now here in the US, cancel culture is strong, and it is getting stronger.  Now, there is at least a fifty percent chance that there will be a boycotted winter olympics.   I disagree with drawing a line in the sand either way, because frankly at this point, either possibility is equally possible now.

What FYI said.  Were you here 6 years ago?  A lot of folks here thought that Beijing would win because that's who the IOC would pick and that they wouldn't give enough votes to Almaty.  And it was closer than a lot of people thought.  No one thought it would go off without a hitch, although I'm guessing most didn't think the political aspect of it all would be those pronounced.

As for that cancel culture in the US.. the irony here is that it's the side that likes to complain about cancel culture that's trying to cancel this.  Much like they thought they could cancel the NFL when they all got worked up against Kaepernick.

Yes, there's a distinct possibility of a boycott, but I'd put the chances at far less than 50%.  It's very easy to look at what's going on and think that the inevitable response is a boycott.  But I'm not sure we'll see major countries actually pull the trigger on that unless they have a stated goal in mind.  Like you brought up, if this is merely about cancel culture, then that's not really a very strong argument in favor of a boycott.

The impetus of "cancel culture" is that the twitterverse will put feet to the fire of where it matters most:  the sponsors.  The IOC is going to do what its going to do, everyone knows that.  But attacking Coca Cola, Nike, Adidas, McDonalds, MyPillow,  CopperFit, whoever runs adds or has their billboards plastered on the walls or gates of venues.  Like you said, it will be ironic that those companies will stand an equal chance of being villified just as much on Sean Hannity's show as they will Rachel Maddow's, and both political sides of the aisle will villify the other with the one universal blunt weapon being applied by both sides:  China appeasement.  I assess Uighur human rights activists are going to come out swinging for this one and be as visible as they can be in China and out of China, and NBC itself will probably find it unavoidable to discuss the conversation in depth.  The exposure this is going to get is going to dwarf 2008, especially the accountability factor that China lost last time around.  No one is going to believe their 1000 good intentions this time.  Corporate money will decide this.  We will all get front row seats to see who's money wins:  North America and Europe's........or China's.  

And did you enjoy that article on your iPhone (or your Galaxy, Pixel or Motorola phone or whatever other smartphone you use)?

I also find these politicians amusing who keep ‘insisting‘ to move the Games or boycott. Okay then, are your own gov’t’s prepared to take on these winter Games, in less than a years time, so as not to legitimize the CCP? Ready for that massive undertaking?

Yeah, they know it’s too late for that, so they only squawk about it to try & look good, cause they know nothing can be done about that at this very late stage of the game. Either that, or they‘re really, really dumb. In which case, they really don’t need to be in the gov’t ITFP (But then again, maybe they’re exactly where they belong).

Another interesting note, is China’s WPF index rating; 177. So for those who still ‘insist’ that Almaty would’ve been the “better” choice’, where does Kazakhstan rank? 157, so not much better than China at all. Go figure. 

It’s also noteworthy that the article basically ends with that boycotts don’t really accomplish much, if anything (other than to punish the athletes). Especially when many of the host countries, at some point in their histories, have committed atrocities of their own against humanity.

8 hours ago, iceman530 said:

The impetus of "cancel culture" is that the twitterverse will put feet to the fire of where it matters most:  the sponsors.  The IOC is going to do what its going to do, everyone knows that.  But attacking Coca Cola, Nike, Adidas, McDonalds, MyPillow,  CopperFit, whoever runs adds or has their billboards plastered on the walls or gates of venues.  Like you said, it will be ironic that those companies will stand an equal chance of being villified just as much on Sean Hannity's show as they will Rachel Maddow's, and both political sides of the aisle will villify the other with the one universal blunt weapon being applied by both sides:  China appeasement.  I assess Uighur human rights activists are going to come out swinging for this one and be as visible as they can be in China and out of China, and NBC itself will probably find it unavoidable to discuss the conversation in depth.  The exposure this is going to get is going to dwarf 2008, especially the accountability factor that China lost last time around.  No one is going to believe their 1000 good intentions this time.  Corporate money will decide this.  We will all get front row seats to see who's money wins:  North America and Europe's........or China's.  

8 hours ago, iceman530 said:

I know its not amongst the traditional sports, but one of the ones that has gotten popular quickly.  The snowboarding community in  the United States, Canada, Australia, and Europe are already posturing for it as a simple right thing to do move.  

Actions speak louder than words.  It's easy for people and organizations to say they'll boycott Olympic sponsors.  It's a different story for them to actually do it.  When Nike was pushing Kaepernick, so many of the anti-protest crowd said they wouldn't wear Nikes anymore and were sure it would hurt the company's bottom line.  It didn't.  Similar here, a politician can tell scream from high heaven not to buy Coca-Cola products.  But if he/she really likes drinking coke as their beverage of choice, will they actually make their own personal lifestyle change?  

100% agree that China's reputation now compared to 2008 is much worse.  And with the proliferation of social media, it's easier to spread that message.  NBC is clearly going to feel the brunt of this because it's almost a guarantee at this point they're going to suffer in the ratings because there will be people on both sides that are unsatisfied.  The "boycott China" crowd simply won't watch.  And the "don't mix sports with politics" side will probably be put off when NBC inevitably has to address the larger issue.  So it'll be a tough balance to find and we can be sure there will be a lot of chatter about China's atrocities that may not be able to get drowned out with sport.  The sad thing is that at the end of the day, China probably won't get hurt and instead it'll be American companies simply by having the connection to China who may get shunned.

2 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

It's a decent read, but still echoes the rhetoric that most of these stories do.. they recognize the issue (China's treatment of Uighurs) and the fact that China shouldn't be hosting a major worldwide event next year (which the IOC is not going to take away for them for the same reason that the 2022 FIFA World Cup is still in Qatar.. it would require the organizing body to admit they make a mistake, which we know they're not going to do).  But there's no real connection to an endgame.  Meaning how would the situation in China improve if countries or corporations or individual took action in connection to the Olympics next year?  Let alone how some sort of boycott would further that mission.

We'll never know how the events of the world might have turned out differently in 1936 if the United States didn't attend the Olympics that year and/or took a harder stance on Germany given all the warning signs of what was to come.  Little different now because what's happening with the Uighurs is already happening and countries have called out China for it.

I hope that whatever happens and what decisions are made that it's done in the interests of making the world a better place.  Not because 1 political party pressured the other.  Not because people enforced their will on others in order to make them feel important.  As an Olympic super-fan, I certainly want the Games to go on as uninterrupted as possible even knowing what that's supporting.  My hope - and maybe this is wishful thinking - is for the event to go on as uninterrupted as possible and for China to still be held accountable for their actions.  Those 2 things need not be mutually exclusive.  There should be an avenue to say "we support the Olympics, but we don't support China."  And like I said earlier, wouldn't it be nice to focus a camera on China for 2 weeks and make them have to answer for their actions.  Plus, the wonderful irony would be for all of the "athletes shouldn't protest" folks to react when any of these Winter athletes used their platform to speak out against China.  Would love to see that one play out!

China's treatment of Uighurs

Hong Kong situation

India – China border conflict

China and Japan over the contested Senkaku/Diaoyu islands

Canadian authorities arrested Meng after a request from the United States and faces extradition

China’s political influence in Africa spans numerous approaches that contribute to Beijing’s strategic aims on the continent.

Chinese Government sees Taiwan as a breakaway province that will eventually be part of the country again.

NO ACCOUNTABILITY FOR the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic 2.5 million deaths!

Did I miss anything?

If anyone thinks that there will be a boycott of 2022 winter Olympics.

Think again.

The Red Dragon means business.

There's a better chance that I'll qualify for a spot to compete in the 2022 Olympics than there is of the IOC saying anything negative about China in the next 13 months.

2 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

There's a better chance that I'll qualify for a spot to compete in the 2022 Olympics than there is of the IOC saying anything negative about China in the next 13 months.

What is the endgame here? Forced withdrawal of US athletes?  Forced withdrawal of US and other Western athletes?Moving Games from Beijing?  Cancellation of Beijing 2022?

1 minute ago, Triplecast said:

What is the endgame here? Forced withdrawal of US athletes?  Forced withdrawal of US and other Western athletes?Moving Games from Beijing?  Cancellation of Beijing 2022?

End game from who is the question?  Republicans being republicans, they want to force their will on others no matter the consequences.  Particularly now that they're no longer in power.  I agree that we as a nation should take a hard stance on China, but telling athletes they're not allowed to compete in the Olympics because we have decided sending them to China is supporting a genocidal government is not the answer.  And funny thing about that, I'm about to do something I never thought I'd do and I'm not proud to type this sentence, but...

I agree with Ted Cruz...

Cruz on Olympic Boycott: Hurting U.S. Athletes Is ‘Weakness’ – ‘We Should Go Over There, Call Them Out’

Would absolutely love to hear REDWHITEBLUE's reaction to this?  Interested dilemma when conservatives have to choose between their own cancel culture and the ramifications of what that means for action against China.