Moved 2022 before its to late.

5 hours ago, Triplecast said:

Thanks for presenting the counter argument.  The trouble for me is that 1980 is still fresh enough in my mind, although ultimately, there was nothing the USOC could have done then to change the outcome.  It's going to be a trying year though, for those of us who live for the Games, but at least 364 days from now, it will all be over.

40 years ago is still fresh for you?  Not sure I want to ask how old you are!

It's definitely going to be a rough lead up to the Olympics (and for better or worse, it's probably a good thing that Tokyo hasn't happened yet so that means it shortens the gap between Tokyo and Beijing even more).  As the Beijing Games come more into focus, there are going to be a lot of polarizing opinions.  Some will say that the United States (or any other country) should absolutely not take part in anything related to China.  Others will say that the athletes shouldn't have to be used as political pawns and lose out on an Olympic experience.  And people from both sides will say that the other is dead way.

There's no good answer here which is why the USOPC shouldn't address it just yet.  Like I said, there will come a time when they need to take a position.  We're not there yet, and I don't think they do any good by talking about it until after the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics are over.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/biden-boycott-china-winter-olympics-2022-nikki-haley

Fox News getting involved means the buildup will be relentless no one will care because it's Fox news.

Fixed that for you.

This is not going to be decided by pressure from the media.  Do you really think Joe Biden or anyone in his administration gives 2 shits what Nikki Haley thinks he should do?  She's just looking for attention.  This is not about principle or ideals but about trying to get her name in the news.  On that front, mission accomplished, but appealing to Fox news is an empty meaningless gesture.  And if you didn't harbor this ongoing desire to blow every single news story about countries participating in the 2022 Olympics out of proportion, that would be crystal clear to you.

1 minute ago, Quaker2001 said:

Fixed that for you.

This is not going to be decided by pressure from the media.  Do you really think Joe Biden or anyone in his administration gives 2 shits what Nikki Haley thinks he should do?  She's just looking for attention.  This is not about principle or ideals but about trying to get her name in the news.  On that front, mission accomplished, but appealing to Fox news is an empty meaningless gesture.  And if you didn't harbor this ongoing desire to blow every single news story about countries participating in the 2022 Olympics out of proportion, that would be crystal clear to you.

If they get obsessed with the issue they will target individual anti boycott athletes.

14 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

If they get obsessed with the issue they will target individual anti boycott athletes.

Gee, and that would be so unlike Fox News and Republicans to get obsessed with something.

In the end, it's all going to be a lot of talk and little action from them.  They'll make claims about how they'll stop supporting athletes and sponsors who don't share the same anti-China views as they do.  Then about 5 minutes after the Olympics are over, they'll cease to care.  Just like all the people who said they would stop watching the NFL because a handful of players were kneeling for the national anthem and then continued to watch the NFL because they forgot what they said they would do.

I imagine that interest in the Winter Olympics next year will be lower than usual because a lot of people will in fact take the stance they refuse to do anything they perceive might help China.  You're right that they might make it about certain athletes.  But that's nothing new and I'm pretty confident very few of the athletes and sponsors will care if they are the targets of negative press from media members and politicians whose opinions are not highly valued these days. 

And most importantly in the context of the United States.. the USOPC is *not* funded by the government and gets their money primarily from donations and sponsorships.  Pretty sure the Nikki Haley's of the world won't be smart enough to realize that and instead will try and win the battle on social media.  Which at the end of the day will accomplish nothing

46 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Gee, and that would be so unlike Fox News and Republicans to get obsessed with something.

In the end, it's all going to be a lot of talk and little action from them.  They'll make claims about how they'll stop supporting athletes and sponsors who don't share the same anti-China views as they do.  Then about 5 minutes after the Olympics are over, they'll cease to care.  Just like all the people who said they would stop watching the NFL because a handful of players were kneeling for the national anthem and then continued to watch the NFL because they forgot what they said they would do.

I imagine that interest in the Winter Olympics next year will be lower than usual because a lot of people will in fact take the stance they refuse to do anything they perceive might help China.  You're right that they might make it about certain athletes.  But that's nothing new and I'm pretty confident very few of the athletes and sponsors will care if they are the targets of negative press from media members and politicians whose opinions are not highly valued these days. 

And most importantly in the context of the United States.. the USOPC is *not* funded by the government and gets their money primarily from donations and sponsorships.  Pretty sure the Nikki Haley's of the world won't be smart enough to realize that and instead will try and win the battle on social media.  Which at the end of the day will accomplish nothing

Actually,  viewing of NFL has been down and ticket sales and merchandise in 2019 were in a decline. 

1 minute ago, AmaniS said:

Actually,  viewing of NFL has been down and ticket sales and merchandise in 2019 were in a decline. 

In 2020, yes.  But everything on television got hurt in 2019 because of the pandemic.  This is how the NFL did in the last non-pandemic year...

National Football League television viewership increases 5% for 2019 regular season

And much more importantly, the NFL is on the verge of signing new television contracts that are going to boost the NFL's total TV rights by a significant margin.  So from a money standpoint, the NFL's revenues are about to shoot way up

Nikki Haley talking about “upholding America’s guiding principles” on Faux News is absolutely hysterical! Considering that’s not what they were doing at all when they were peddling the big, fat lie for weeks, which put on own Republic’s democracy at great risk.

So please Nikki, just spare us the hypocritical hyperbole about Nazi Germany & “evil China” (when people like you are also part of the problem), & which is only meant for your own selfish, political self interests. 

• Like 2

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/united-states-could-boycott-2022-winter-olympics-in-beijing/ar-BB1e14U8

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/25/white-house-leaves-door-open-to-boycotting-2022-beijing-olympics-as-pressure-grows.html

Feels like USOC is going to be put under a lot of pressure to boycott - remember it won't want to completely fracture it's relationship with the republicans.

5 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

The US Goverment could change that through and make them a government body.

7 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

The IOC wouldn’t wear that. Their charter prohibits government interference in national Olympic committees. They suspended India and Kuwait for just that.

Their charter  suits them just fine whenever they want, and ignore it other times. Lukashenko is not only President of Belarus (still....), but also the President of their NOC. Just one example.

Kuwait and even also India are pretty unimportant NOCs, they'll happily pretend to take firm action on the lowly ones but let the big ones run free (or almost - if it hadn't been for constant pressure, there would never have been a Russia ban, and even that is only a very lukewarm ban).

3 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

The US Goverment could change that through and make them a government body.

There is zero chance of that happening.  And as usual, I'm pretty sure you know that.

3 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/united-states-could-boycott-2022-winter-olympics-in-beijing/ar-BB1e14U8

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/25/white-house-leaves-door-open-to-boycotting-2022-beijing-olympics-as-pressure-grows.html

Feels like USOC is going to be put under a lot of pressure to boycott - remember it won't want to completely fracture it's relationship with the republicans.

What relationship?  You think they're going to give in to the Republicans to appease them on this one?

For the umpteenth time.. stop creating this narrative where you expect others to think and act like you want them to despite any and all evidence to the contrary

1 hour ago, Triplecast said:

Is the USOPC not sending a team to Beijing 2022 when every other NOC would - Is that what you are wishing for?

In all the interactions I've had with him in this thread, if tough to tell if that's what he wants or if he just likes to let his imagination run wild and come up with extreme scenarios because he's bored.  Because he's argued before (tough to tell if he seriously believes it or not) that we could see massive boycotts of next year's Olympics and it would fracture relationships between the IOC and various NOCs and it could lead to the end of the Olympics altogether!  

I know this site has become more about wild speculation than actual news, but that's GamesBids for you.

1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/us-boycott-2022-winter-olympics-040240212.html

Boycotting will be popular - will Biden want the Republicans to be able to argue he is soft on China - I don't think so - America will ultimately boycott IMO.

The Republicans are going to believe what they want to believe about Biden and will frame any decisions he makes in a negative light.  If the United States does wind up boycotting the Olympics next summer (don't see that happening, IMO), I can assure you the reason will NOT be "because the Republicans made him do it."

The only way I can see the U.S. boycotting, is if China does something MEGA stupid between now & the end of the year, like invade Taiwan, for example. Otherwise, I don’t see it happening. Republicans will squawk about anything Biden does/doesn’t do anyway. So that’s irrelevant.

6 minutes ago, FYI said:

The only way I can see the U.S. boycotting, is if China does something MEGA stupid between now & the end of the year, like invade Taiwan, for example. Otherwise, I don’t see it happening. Republicans will squawk about anything Biden does/doesn’t do anyway. So that’s irrelevant.

Agreed.  It would need to be a response to a specific incident.  Not a generic "we don't like China, we're boycotting their Olympics"