Moved 2022 before its to late.

5 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

https://news.yahoo.com/gop-senators-introduce-resolution-calling-205300488.html

This is pointless but if the GOP permanently turn on the IOC a republican win in 2024 could see them cancel 2028.

Please.. stop.. saying.. really.. stupid.. ****.

4 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

The GOP surely knows how to treat oppressive and abusive regimes. Their resolution to condemn those involved in the Capitol insurrection was remarkable...oh wait...

If, what greater powers may forbid, one of those pro-dictatorship folks wins in 2024, they will happily stand on the podium in summer 2028 and declare the Olympics open. Makes nice photo ops for a re-election campaign, even better than holding a bible upside down with tear gas dissipating in the back.

IOC and GOP are basically the same bunch of self-interest driven, privilege-protecting folks. They would never really get at each others‘ throats over something like human rights abuses that doesn‘t bring them money and/or power.

100%.  How much would Donald Trump have loved to stand up in front of billions of people and say "I declare open the Games of Los Angeles - and really, they're going to be the greatest games anyone's ever seen..."

If a Republican wins the White House in 2024, that person will happily be in bed with the IOC to show off the United States to the world in 2028.

One year to go. And Bach said the following?

“Having seen how China is overcoming the coronavirus crisis, we are very confident that our Chinese hosts will ensure safe and secure Olympic Games in full cooperation with the IOC. Every time that I have visited China, I am so impressed by the enthusiasm and support for the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022. This is why, we can say already now with great confidence: China is ready. Ready to welcome the world’s best winter sports athletes for unforgettable Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022. We all are looking forward to this global celebration of sport.” 

Is he serious overcoming the coronavirus? How about if Tokyo is cancelled make China pay Japan.

Is the NHL going to send its players considering its lost revenue on two seasons?

This is not 2008. With over 400,000 deaths in the US, I can see many objecting send athletes to Beijing. I told a co worker today that it was one year until the winter Olympics. She asked "where is it being held?" I told her Beijing, I will not put down what she said after.  Yes she lost someone close to COVID.

17 hours ago, olympikfan said:

“Having seen how China is overcoming the coronavirus crisis, we are very confident that our Chinese hosts will ensure safe and secure Olympic Games in full cooperation with the IOC. Every time that I have visited China, I am so impressed by the enthusiasm and support for the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022. This is why, we can say already now with great confidence: China is ready. Ready to welcome the world’s best winter sports athletes for unforgettable Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022. We all are looking forward to this global celebration of sport.” 

Is he serious overcoming the coronavirus? How about if Tokyo is cancelled make China pay Japan.

Is the NHL going to send its players considering its lost revenue on two seasons?

This is not 2008. With over 400,000 deaths in the US, I can see many objecting send athletes to Beijing. I told a co worker today that it was one year until the winter Olympics. She asked "where is it being held?" I told her Beijing, I will not put down what she said after.  Yes she lost someone close to COVID.

Some on here simply don't get how hated China is now and how plenty of governments will have no choice but to ban their countries from going.

11 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

Some on here simply don't get how hated China is now and how plenty of governments will have no choice but to ban their countries from going.

23 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

No one here is discounting how angry the world is at China right now.  But someone on here (hint: it's you) needs to stop short of saying that a boycott is inevitable.  Let alone to keep re-posting the some old Florida senator story as if it's fresh news.  Whether or not the United States sends athletes to compete in Beijing will NOT be determined by the whims of a random politician with no official influence.  And if you read the story, he's not talking about a boycott.  He wants the Olympics taken away from China entirely.  Which, to the title of this thread.. it is way too late for that to be a consideration.  Let alone on behalf of a senator from a US state whose CFO said "hey, we can host the Summer Olympics if Tokyo isn't up for it"

For the 281,419th time.. everyone here acknowledges a boycott is a very real possibility.  But for crying out loud, stop looking at every story combining the Olympics with politics (let alone the same story you have reference multiple times already.. that link from today is *not* fresh news) and thinking some massive decision will arise from it.

I am 100% certain no British athletes will be going to Beijing - no way can the government resist this type of pressure.  The BOA will either reluctantly accept under the pressure of 2024 and 2026 funding being removed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/06/mps-urge-british-olympians-to-boycott-2022-beijing-winter-games

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mps-call-for-relocation-of-2022-beijing-olympics-1.5904286

I feel like 2021 might well see some countries resigning from the IOC longer term.

Ed Davey -

“No doubt we will hear teams, sponsors and governing bodies say the Olympics and Paralympics should be separate from politics and that they are just concentrating on sport. But in the face of genocide, that just isn’t good enough,” Davey said.

“The 2022 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games will be used as a propaganda tool for a regime committing genocide. Team GB, ParalympicsGB and the government have a moral responsibility to consider if sending a team to these Games is really the right thing to do.”

He said that unless the Chinese government ordered the closure of detention camps in Xinjiang, ended Uighur forced labour and ethnic cleansing, stopped sterilising Uighur women and stopped the torture and rape of Uighurs, then Team GB, ParalympicsGB and ministers should announce a boycott. “Our brightest and best athletes should not be forced to be part of a propaganda exercise for the Chinese Communist party while it tries to wipe the Uighur people off the face of the planet.”

Chris Bryant -

Bryant said: “All five categories of genocide behaviour, according to the Genocide Convention, are already in play in Xinjiang province. So I think it’s just extraordinary that the British government seems to have no backbone about it.

“I just can’t see why anybody would want to go to the Winter Olympics in Beijing. And I think the British Olympic Association should be calling for the Winter Olympics to move, and if it doesn’t move, then we should be boycotting it.”

On 2/5/2021 at 5:33 PM, Quaker2001 said:

No one here is discounting how angry the world is at China right now.  But someone on here (hint: it's you) needs to stop short of saying that a boycott is inevitable.  Let alone to keep re-posting the some old Florida senator story as if it's fresh news.  Whether or not the United States sends athletes to compete in Beijing will NOT be determined by the whims of a random politician with no official influence.  And if you read the story, he's not talking about a boycott.  He wants the Olympics taken away from China entirely.  Which, to the title of this thread.. it is way too late for that to be a consideration.  Let alone on behalf of a senator from a US state whose CFO said "hey, we can host the Summer Olympics if Tokyo isn't up for it"

For the 281,419th time.. everyone here acknowledges a boycott is a very real possibility.  But for crying out loud, stop looking at every story combining the Olympics with politics (let alone the same story you have reference multiple times already.. that link from today is *not* fresh news) and thinking some massive decision will arise from it.

It's the reason why if 2022 goes ahead good luck even getting 2024/2026/2028 all done without at least one doing a Denver and 2030 onwards won't find a democratic country willing to host.

On 2/5/2021 at 12:53 AM, olympikfan said:

Like I said in another thread, IOC is another bought organization by Uncle Winnie. Just another puppet of the CCP so don't expect anything from their mouths which is not shilling for China.

If Coubertin was alive he would die again seeing what a joke the IOC has become.

7 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Like I said in another thread, IOC is another bought organization by Uncle Winnie. Just another puppet of the CCP so don't expect anything from their mouths which is not shilling for China.

If Coubertin was alive he would die again seeing what a joke the IOC has become.

It's why I can easily see one 2024/2026/2028 doing a Denver.

17 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

It's the reason why if 2022 goes ahead good luck even getting 2024/2026/2028 all done without at least one doing a Denver and 2030 onwards won't find a democratic country willing to host.

8 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

It's why I can easily see one 2024/2026/2028 doing a Denver.

"doing a Denver"?  I don't think you fully appreciate how ridiculously absurd right now.  No sane or rational personal would think that's even a remote possibility.  Sure you can easily see it because you want to see it.

Tell us, and really think this through.. how would that go down that Paris or Milan/Cortina or LA would "do a Denver" and break their contract with the IOC?  What mechanism would they use to trigger that?  And don't put this in terms of what happened in 1972.  That's neither here nor there and half a century later has little bearing on the current state of the world, especially with the size and scale of the Winter Olympics compared to back them.

There may very well be a boycott (although you're out of your mind if anyone thinks they "know" it's a certainty just because you're taking so many efforts to convince yourself) by some prominent nations.  We all acknowledge this.  But no official decisions are likely to be made until after Tokyo.  Right now it's just talk.  Yes, that talk is going to get a lot louder as we get closer to next February.  But to interpret that talk to where you think "they're definitely going to boycott and they know it already" is being heavily biased.  I hope you can see that.

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

"doing a Denver"?  I don't think you fully appreciate how ridiculously absurd right now.  No sane or rational personal would think that's even a remote possibility.  Sure you can easily see it because you want to see it.

Tell us, and really think this through.. how would that go down that Paris or Milan/Cortina or LA would "do a Denver" and break their contract with the IOC?  What mechanism would they use to trigger that?  And don't put this in terms of what happened in 1972.  That's neither here nor there and half a century later has little bearing on the current state of the world, especially with the size and scale of the Winter Olympics compared to back them.

There may very well be a boycott (although you're out of your mind if anyone thinks they "know" it's a certainty just because you're taking so many efforts to convince yourself) by some prominent nations.  We all acknowledge this.  But no official decisions are likely to be made until after Tokyo.  Right now it's just talk.  Yes, that talk is going to get a lot louder as we get closer to next February.  But to interpret that talk to where you think "they're definitely going to boycott and they know it already" is being heavily biased.  I hope you can see that.

I can see some going sooner due to the mental health aspect of a late boycott on competitors

1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

I can see some going sooner due to the mental health aspect of a late boycott on competitors

You see a lot of strange things.

There's no reason to make a commitment one way or the other.  Especially not with another Olympics to focus on over the next few months.  And if you're going to cite mental health, maybe take a look at the state of the world right now.

2 hours ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

There's a lot of damage control to be done here, for sure.  And the IOC being less than expert at diplomatic relations needs to figure that out.  No easy task considering they're still dealing with Tokyo.

1 hour ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

https://www.eppingforestguardian.co.uk/news/19073263.mp-calls-britain-boycott-beijing-winter-olympics-2022/

U turn from IDS who now is only calling for a goverment boycott and atheltes to decide for himself.

I still believe this is the most likely outcome.  Government officials and other dignitaries will be told not to attend.  Athletes are free to make up their own minds without interference from their NOCs.

16 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

There's a lot of damage control to be done here, for sure.  And the IOC being less than expert at diplomatic relations needs to figure that out.  No easy task considering they're still dealing with Tokyo.

I still believe this is the most likely outcome.  Government officials and other dignitaries will be told not to attend.  Athletes are free to make up their own minds without interference from their NOCs.

It's one of the more likely but don't rule out countries interfering because a lot of the pro boycott people in the UK want the BOA to intefer. However without the tory rebels they have no chance of forcing legislation to implement a BOA boycott through.

23 minutes ago, REDWHITEBLUE24 said:

It's one of the more likely but don't rule out countries interfering because a lot of the pro boycott people in the UK want the BOA to intefer. However without the tory rebels they have no chance of forcing legislation to implement a BOA boycott through.

See, this is where I don't get your logic.  On one hand, it's "don't rule out" (which no one is.. please stop offering up that straw man argument") and then in the next sentence you say "no chance" to something and ruling it out.

This is going to gradually develop in the coming weeks and months, but don't assume because some want to boycott that it's inevitable it will happen.  You don't need to react to every little bit of news as if it's a major swing in the balance of things.